Vista sound dies with audio jack shift until program restart

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Splendid

Vista sound dies with audio jack shift until program restart

Postby Splendid » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:54 am UTC

Hello, everyone. The folks at TacticalGamer couldn't help with this problem, and the only thing Google had to say was 'reinstall driver', which doesn't seem like the problem because I have sound normally.

The issue: While doing anything, whether it be watching online videos, listening to iTunes, or playing games (the reason I get the most annoyed by this problem by far), and I accidentally wiggle the audio jack in front of my rig on the floor to my left either by lightly tugging on the headset or moving something and it hits the jack, the sound stops. I cannot figure out how to turn the sound back on without shutting down whatever program I want sound in (browser/iTunes/game) and restarting it. If I'm in the middle of a Call of Duty mission or are about to start the finale in Left 4 Dead and this happens, I get beyond pissed.

The question: Does anyone anywhere else have this issue ever, or is it just my setup? Can it be fixed, or should I go back to XP, which I'm considering.

Custom rig built about 11 months ago, if this matters:
Intel DualCore 3.0ghz E8400
Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800
WD 640GB 7200 rpm HD SATA
XFX 9800GT PCIx2.0
ASUS P5Q SE Plus ATX Intel mobo
Antec 500W psu
Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Thank you!

R3coiler

Re: Vista sound dies with audio jack shift until program restart

Postby R3coiler » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:02 am UTC

My intuition says that a mechanical cause (wiggling and jiggling) would point to a mechanical problem. My guess is that there is a physical problem with the connection between the jack and the board and that movement aggravates the problem. That may or may not explain the need for restarts, though.

A little more information might be useful. If you're in CoD and this issue pops up, can you ALT-Tab to Itunes and still hear something? Is the jack still able to output when that happens? Also, can you post the link to the other forum thread where you posted this so we can go off anything from that thread that might be useful? I'm afraid I don't have much experience with this sort of issue, but better identifying the issue might point to some root cause.

Splendid

Re: Vista sound dies with audio jack shift until program restart

Postby Splendid » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:20 pm UTC

Thanks so much for the reply.

Re: the iTunes idea... once it happens, no sound is heard at all until I 1) slightly push on the jack to plug it back in fully and 2) open a new program or re-open a program because they will only then work on any program that's started after I complete #1. Any program at all open during or before step 1 will not work and I will hear no sound. (I hope that makes sense and reads okay.) That's pretty much the reason I think it's not a hardware issue with the sound jack, and because this happens with the back-of-the-tower sound jacks too. I ordered all these pieces from newegg and build this rig myself last December, so the parts aren't old. I noticed this issue almost right after building the rig, as evident by the Dec 9 '08 stamp on the other thread. Something makes me think it's a setting in Vista somewhere or the program that operates my sound.

The thread for this in the other forum can be found HERE.

Return to “The Help Desk”