16 bit MS-DOS subsystem error

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Carlington

16 bit MS-DOS subsystem error

Postby Carlington » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:20 pm UTC

Hello, Help Desk

Since a few days ago, my household desktop has been having quite a few issues with just running in general. It has been running slowly, at time becoming completely unresponsive. At one point, after booting, there was a blank desktop (no taskbar, no start button, no icons, no nothing.) The only way I could fix this was by rebooting.

As well as this, Internet Explorer (not my choice of browser) has been clunky at best and failed to open in general. When it does open, there is a blank application window, and Task Manager has to be used to terminate the hung process.

I think that both of these issues are linked to this:
On startup, a dialog box appears, with the title "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem" The contents are as follows:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\_C00C~1.EXE
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal operation.
CS: 0dfd IP: 01bf OP: 6372 6f 3c 2f
(Click "Close" to end the program.)

There are two options to choose from - "Ignore" and "Close"

Processor: AMD Sempron 3200+
Display: NVIDIA GeForce 7050 PV

I have been tasked with fixing the problem, being the most tech-savvy in the house, but I cannot find the error and I am at my wits end. I hope you can help

Thanks, Carlington
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Jorpho

Re: 16 bit MS-DOS subsystem error

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:15 pm UTC

Is that XP 64-bit?

Regardless, I think it is entirely likely that you are sufering from some variety of malware infestation. Standard malware scanning and removal procedures would be a good idea. (Malwarebytes is popular lately.)

Cheezwhiz Jenkins

Postby Cheezwhiz Jenkins » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:14 pm UTC

Apparently it's caused by the trojans

TROJ_VUNDO.ATK
TROJ_AGENT.TPM

I've heard spyware doctor removes it. So you might try that. (I'd link to my sources but I've 4 posts left to go :) )
That explosion was so big it blew off his mullet :-O

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:38 pm UTC

Cheezwhiz Jenkins wrote:Apparently it's caused by the trojans

TROJ_VUNDO.ATK
TROJ_AGENT.TPM

I've heard spyware doctor removes it. So you might try that. (I'd link to my sources but I've 4 posts left to go :) )
Cheezwhiz Jenkins wrote:TROJ_VUNDO.ATK
Cheezwhiz Jenkins wrote:VUNDO

You may want to consider burning it with fire. In all seriousness, I'd back up any data you want now while you know you can - vundo is infamous for being exceedingly evil.

Also - You actually read the rules! Most excellent! Have a cookie!
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Cheezwhiz Jenkins

Postby Cheezwhiz Jenkins » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:13 pm UTC

Rofl that's gotta be the best usage of the quote function I've seen in a while. :D

PhoenixEnigma wrote:
Also - You actually read the rules! Most excellent! Have a cookie!

Why, thank you! I certainly hope I'm aware of the rules after lurking for so long (now watch me go break an obvious one I managed to miss, just 'cause I said that :wink: ).
That explosion was so big it blew off his mullet :-O

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:53 pm UTC

I'm not sure whether this XP is 64-bit or not. Also, I have already run a full system scan using Trend Micro Internet Security, which removed all malware, virii and Trojans. So I'm not sure where to go from here. Microsoft support seems to think I should expand a couple of system files from the i386 folder on my system install disc. Which I don't know where it is. Grrrrrrrrrrr...

EDIT: As it turns out, this computer came with XP pre-installed, so we never had the system installation disc. Does anyone know how I could get around this problem. Another source seems to think that I should delete a couple of system files, then reboot. Apparently the system's cache should restore these files to their un-corrupted state. Opinions?

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:03 pm UTC

Carlington (The Aussie) wrote:I'm not sure whether this XP is 64-bit or not.
http://www.google.com/search?q=determine+if+xp+is+64-bit
Also, I have already run a full system scan using Trend Micro Internet Security, which removed all malware, virii and Trojans.
I'm sure that's what Trend Micro would like you to think.
Does anyone know how I could get around this problem.
And the problem is the non-existence of a physical object?
Another source seems to think that I should delete a couple of system files, then reboot. Apparently the system's cache should restore these files to their un-corrupted state. Opinions?
Running "sfc /scannow" from the command prompt would accomplish the same result, but I doubt it's going to be that simple.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:17 am UTC

I have determined that my system is 32-bit XP. Quite a few other sites I hae been trawling have suggested 'sfc/scannow ' as well, So I'm thinking I might run that overnight at some point, since it takes quite a while.

Return to “The Help Desk”