ubuntu won't find any wireless networks!?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

yokdvd

ubuntu won't find any wireless networks!?

Postby yokdvd » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:07 am UTC

I'm quite new to linux, and I can't seem to figure out how to connect to any wireless network? I know the problem is most likely that ubuntu doesn't have the correct drivers for my network card, but how would I go about finding them? I am using an HP dv2000 laptop, and I'm assuming that ubuntu requires drivers designed specifically to work with linux (not windows), but I have not been able to find them.

Furthermore, if and when I do get the drivers, how do I install them? I'm dual booting windows vista and ubuntu right now, so I would have to download the drivers while logged into vista. Would I need to transfer the drivers to a thumb drive and then open it/install it once I'm logged into ubuntu?

Thanks in advance!

Tarrantula

Re: ubuntu won't find any wireless networks!?

Postby Tarrantula » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:00 pm UTC

It has been a while since I've used Ubuntu so take what I have to say with a bit of salt.

First plug the computer into the network using a Ethernet cable. You can probably download the drivers on windows and move them over but it is a much bigger pain.

Next go to System->Administration (I think this is where it is, if not find it) and selected "Restricted Drivers".

Now install the driver. Should be point and click.

Restart the computer, congrats you should now have a network manager similar to windows in panel at the top of the screen.

Unparallelogram

Postby Unparallelogram » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:15 pm UTC

The Ubuntu forums will be better able to help you. http://ubuntuforums.org/
Be sure to mention not only your computer's model number, but also the wireless card/chipset it uses.
It would probably help to post the output of "lspci -nn" or something similar. I'm not exactly sure.
A quick search suggests you might have that same Broadcom chipset in practically every cheap laptop these days. There are several drivers out there, depending on which exact one you have, and each has its upsides and downsides.
This thread might help: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... t=broadcom
This thread might help: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... t=broadcom
Check the restricted drivers dialog first, though, that could potentially automate it all for you. (What the poster above me suggested. It's all graphical and automatic, but doesn't get all drivers.)

yokdvd

Postby yokdvd » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:55 am UTC

Under the system>Administration menu, there is no tab that says "restricted drivers". There is one that says "Hardware drivers" but it was not very helpful; it just did a quick scan and told me that I had no proprietary drivers.

xMango

Postby xMango » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:42 pm UTC

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

Cheezwhiz Jenkins

Postby Cheezwhiz Jenkins » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:47 am UTC

The way I got this to work is to first download the appropriate Broadcom drivers to a usb stick, install them in ubuntu, (found the same forum topic Unparallelogram did - the first one), *then* look for restricted drivers and install them.

Or you could just remake wl.ko every.single.time. you reboot as I did when I forgot how to make it "stick"... :roll: That or make a startup script to do it. :mrgreen:

If you can't decipher the forum topic (it took me awhile) I can walk you through it, but it really is nice to learn by doing imo.
That explosion was so big it blew off his mullet :-O

Return to “The Help Desk”