Keyboard control keys messed up in Ubuntu 9.10

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Arancaytar

Keyboard control keys messed up in Ubuntu 9.10

Postby Arancaytar » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:30 am UTC

My DEL key is rewired to the "Spellcheck (F10)" key (strangely enough, the actual F10 key still works as F10). The POS1 key is now "Pause". The END key as well as the Arrow-Down key now work as the "<Super>" dead key (Super itself doesn't work). Arrow-Up has become "Print", "Print" has become "DEL". Arrow-Left calls up something named "ISO_Level3_Shift". AltGr does "KP_Enter". Left control works normally, right control is PageDown. PageUp is "KP_Divide", PageDown is "Menu". Menu doesn't respond at all. On the num pad, "Divide" means "Insert", and "Enter" means Arrow-Down.

Fortunately the cursors on the num pad and backspace still work normally, as do all the normal symbol keys.

I've had this since my last system start, this morning. I'm using a "Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 1.0A". Does anyone have some insight to offer?
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Arancaytar

Re: Keyboard control keys messed up in Ubuntu 9.10

Postby Arancaytar » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:01 am UTC

A reboot has fixed most of the keys up, but the DEL key appears to be gone completely. -_-

MoD

Postby MoD » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:23 pm UTC

You can run "xev" in a terminal to see what keycodes X11 sees for each keypress. You can usually enter that information into a configuration file or settings tool somewhere. Which file or program will depend on your desktop environment, probably. You're probably using GNOME, which I'm not familiar with, but it tries hard to make settings easy to edit from a mouse-oriented interface. Check the control panel or what it's called.
Spoiler:
L wrote:I wanna be past-MoD when I grow up
and then I guess present-MoD a little bit after that
and then future-MoD for the rest of my life!
@-={-,
}

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:05 pm UTC

I'd boot with a live-cd to check if it's a software issue or a hardware issue.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:13 pm UTC

Well, this is interesting - after the problem disappeared when I rebooted, it happened again on the last system reboot. Rebooting it another time fixed it again. I'm not sure if I shut down the system in between these events, but as far as I know right now it might be happening on every second reboot.

Odd.

(Or maybe even, heh.)

Return to “The Help Desk”