Oblivion

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Buddha

Oblivion

Postby Buddha » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:31 am UTC

I am having some trouble getting Oblivion to run through WINE. Anyone recently purhcase the game and have similar issues?

My specs: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho ... 32629.html
Last edited by phlip on Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced with the word you obviously meant to type.
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, I not a recognized authority in any field, nor am I a credible source.

PhoenixEnigma

Re: Oblivion

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:39 am UTC

How does it fail to run? How far are you getting before things go south, and what happens when they do?

Also - even under ideal circumstances, you're cutting things rather close on system specs. I'm not sure what kind of performance hit, if any, you'll take from running it via WINE, but it's not going to take much at all to make the game all but unplayable.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Buddha

Postby Buddha » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:46 am UTC

I think the problem is that I need to burn it to a disk, but I want to get around that, and I know the specs are a close shave, but I have the parts to upgrade, I just don't want to get off the computer for twenty minutes to swap out my RAM card.
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, I not a recognized authority in any field, nor am I a credible source.

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:03 am UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:I'm not sure what kind of performance hit, if any, you'll take from running it via WINE,

wine runs most things a little faster than windows does, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Code: Select all

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

Buddha

Postby Buddha » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:20 pm UTC

Does anyone know how to circumvent the need to burn it to a disk?

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:46 pm UTC

I've got a feeling this might help.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk

Buddha

Postby Buddha » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:25 pm UTC

It toally would, if I was the least bit tech savvy, and knew what an iso image was.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:40 pm UTC

Masseffectgod wrote:It toally would, if I was the least bit tech savvy, and knew what an iso image was.

The Oblivion files you have - how did they come? What's the file extension? I'm assuming they came as a disc image of some sort, so there should be pretty much one or maybe a handful of massive files (and maybe some little fluff files like "DownlOAdedFrOmilLegals.txt" but they don't really matter).

Return to “The Help Desk”