Hard drive boot problems

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

vslayer

Hard drive boot problems

Postby vslayer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:27 am UTC

Hey guys, I finally got sick of my solid state disk freezing up on me constantly and bought a standard sata drive to replace it, unfortunately I forgot about how much of an arse windows is and - because I needed to copy a few files off it later on - left the SSD plugged in while I installed windows on my new drive. Now my computer won't boot without the SSD in there. I've tried copying the boot.ini over but had no luck with it. If anyone knows how I can fix this without having to install over my new OS which I've just spent two hours setting up I would gladly bake them a muffin.

Bic Finepoint

Re: Hard drive boot problems

Postby Bic Finepoint » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:53 pm UTC

Remove the SSD. Boot from the CD. Press R when prompted. At the command prompt type FIXBOOT. reboot. Celebrate if it worked.

vslayer

Postby vslayer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:07 pm UTC

I've tried that, no luck there either.

defaultusername

Postby defaultusername » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:53 pm UTC

What kind of error are you getting? Are you certain it isn't just that your computer expects to find an SSD during boot, and starts complaining when it doesn't? Check your BIOS for a list of the hardware your computer tries to initialize on start up. If there is an SSD on there, remove it.
Because phlogiston.

sircrayons

Postby sircrayons » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:24 am UTC

In the recovery console, try the command fixmbr with the SSD not installed. Then run bootcfg /rebuild. Also, make sure the files ntldr and ntdetect.com are located in C:\.
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."

Return to “The Help Desk”