Too little space on C

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Too little space on C

Postby Mother Superior » Sun May 09, 2010 12:12 pm UTC

I've been trying to download EVE Online, but alas I cannot. Y'see, I, by virtue of being stupid, assigned too little space to my C partition, thinking it's only got to have enough space for Windows plus a few extra gigs for good measure. This means, that EVE Online, clocking in at ~2 gb doesn't fit onto it. And since it needs to place a temporary file there while it downloads, I am deprived of EVEness. Is there any way around this other than a reformat, which would be a huge pain in the ass?
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

b1ackcat

Re: Too little space on C

Postby b1ackcat » Sun May 09, 2010 3:27 pm UTC

Does it HAVE to be the C drive? try changing the download location of your browser. Failing that, try running CCleaner (www.ccleaner.com) to clean up some of the crap out of windows. I've seen it clean anywhere from 30mb to 15gb. Check the recycle bin too, since the stuff in there is stored on the C drive.
My favorite Churchill quote: "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun May 09, 2010 3:41 pm UTC

No, my browser is already set to download stuff to my G drive, but while it downloads that file is placed on the C drive.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

snapshot182

Postby snapshot182 » Sun May 09, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Are you running Windows Vista or 7? or are you running XP?

If it's the former, then you can do partition extension with built-in Windows technology.

If it's the latter, I believe you can get third party partitioning software (such as partition magic) in order to adjust the size of your partitions.

snapshot182

Postby snapshot182 » Sun May 09, 2010 4:36 pm UTC

You could also try dropping your virtual ram usage down to zero. That can usually take up between one and two gigs.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun May 09, 2010 5:21 pm UTC

snapshot182 wrote:You could also try dropping your virtual ram usage down to zero. That can usually take up between one and two gigs.

Yeah, but how healthy is that? It's XP, btw. Any particular partitioning software you could recommend?
- Hesiod, Theogony

snapshot182

Postby snapshot182 » Sun May 09, 2010 5:52 pm UTC

Mother Superior wrote:
snapshot182 wrote:You could also try dropping your virtual ram usage down to zero. That can usually take up between one and two gigs.

Yeah, but how healthy is that? It's XP, btw. Any particular partitioning software you could recommend?

It should be fine. Adding virtual memory is just like adding more memory that's slower. As long as you never reach threshold, I don't see what the problem is. I like dropping it to 0 just so I know I'm always using RAM for mem access rather than the HDD, since RAM is insanely faster to access than the HDD is.

I have not used partitioning software in a while, so I can't make the best recommendation. I have used partition magic in the past, but that was a long time ago. I either forget or am not aware of its deficiencies. Hopefully, someone else will be able to help you with that.

edit: you could also move your virtual memory allocation to another drive. :)

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Mon May 10, 2010 5:11 am UTC

Mother Superior wrote:No, my browser is already set to download stuff to my G drive, but while it downloads that file is placed on the C drive.

Download using something other than Internet Explorer, then.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon May 10, 2010 5:34 am UTC

Indeed... IE (or, at the very least, old versions of IE... I don't know if it still does this) will download a file into the cache (which is in USERPROFILE) and then copy it to its destination when that's done. Which means you need enough HDD space to store two copies of the file at once... once in the cache, and once in the destination.

Every other browser ever does something less stupid, and actually downloads the file to its destination.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Mon May 10, 2010 7:10 am UTC

Carnildo wrote:
Mother Superior wrote:No, my browser is already set to download stuff to my G drive, but while it downloads that file is placed on the C drive.

Download using something other than Internet Explorer, then.

Haven't used IE for over six years now.
- Hesiod, Theogony

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon May 10, 2010 7:24 am UTC

... huh. Well, what browser are you using then, so I can add it to my "don't even bother trying" list?

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

portentum

Postby portentum » Mon May 10, 2010 7:42 am UTC

I've been pulling my hair out over this one for a while, playing with a virtual machine and trying to get IE to behave the way you'd like.. only to see that you are not using IE. :oops:

I would imagine it's not Firefox either though (because of its .part file usage)? Unless maybe with some download manager extension for it?

Opera? Chrome (if I remember correctly it uses IE settings in a lot of places anyway)? Safari? Obscure browser I've never heard of?

At this point I'd just suggest what snapshot182 did above if you don't want to try downloading with another browser, adjust partition sizes and make C: large enough to fit the file. My recommendation there is gparted. I think it's a handy disc to keep around anyway, as I don't trust the Windows partition manager all that much.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Mon May 10, 2010 8:02 am UTC

I actually solved it by reducing virtual memory size, cheers snapshot. But now I'm a bit confused by this whole browser business. I'm using Mozilla Firefox, and you're telling me this shouldn't be an issue in Firefox?
- Hesiod, Theogony

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Mon May 10, 2010 8:24 am UTC

Mother Superior wrote:I actually solved it by reducing virtual memory size, cheers snapshot. But now I'm a bit confused by this whole browser business. I'm using Mozilla Firefox, and you're telling me this shouldn't be an issue in Firefox?

I can verify that a fairly plain install of FF 3.6.3 on Windows XP does not demonstrate this behavior (using, oddly enough, the same driver letters).

However, I notice that EVE provides two download options - one that is just a stub installer (it's 1.81MB, and will download and install EVE Online when you run it), and an offline installer that downloads the complete 2.4GB installation. Where you trying to use the stub installer? I can imagine that doing some funny stuff with download caching.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Mon May 10, 2010 8:27 am UTC

It isn't for me. As firefox downloads it caches my files to memory whilst created an incrementally size increasing file at the destination. Thanks to the memory caching, it starts downloading as soon as I click ok, so I don't even have to pick a download location until I actually need the file. I always assumed this was universal, as it happens on every firefox install I've ever done. What version have you you got?

Ninja'd!
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

snapshot182

Postby snapshot182 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:05 am UTC

Mother Superior wrote:I actually solved it by reducing virtual memory size, cheers snapshot.

Yay! I'm glad I helped solve the problem. Have fun playing. Let us know about the economy of the MMORPG in the SB forums. :D

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu May 13, 2010 9:41 pm UTC

If all else fails (and another browser or download manager can't be used), mightn't it be feasible to mount the G partition at the location that whatever is attempting the download wants to use?

Bhelliom

Postby Bhelliom » Thu May 20, 2010 1:40 pm UTC

You can blow away all the windows update files. They are the hidden files in your C:\Windows folder that look like $NtUninstallKB886185$.

If you do not plan on removing any security patches they are safe to delete, and can free up quite a bit of space on the C drive.

EDIT: Ah, I see you got it fixed. Still, this is a good place to find space, and your virtual memory size should match your RAM size. If C does not have enough room for it, you can set your virtual memory to be on another disk where there is plenty of free space.
"Eloquently Blunt"

sircrayons

Postby sircrayons » Sat May 22, 2010 11:15 pm UTC

I'll put in my two cents here, because I like to hear myself type.

First, move your swapfile to a different partition (if you have a second HDD, put it there). While there is no hard and fast rule, setting it to about 1.5x your RAM is a good general idea. While completely disabling your swapfile can work (and may improve performance in some cases), it's generally better to have sufficient swap space.

Second, the space you've reclaimed by decreasing your swap size is a temporary fix. Windows updates, software updates, some downloads, new software installs, etc. are going to continue eating up space for the life of the computer. For the long haul, you're better off using something like Partition Magic or Acronis to resize your partitions.
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."

NGJEric

Postby NGJEric » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:31 pm UTC

I have the same problem with this one. and also tried some of the tips and thankfully it worked but somehow there are really applications like this one which you can not alter the installation location.

Return to “The Help Desk”