I/O Device Not Working (cannot install Spore onto laptop)

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Eliminator Jr.

I/O Device Not Working (cannot install Spore onto laptop)

Postby Eliminator Jr. » Sun May 30, 2010 6:12 am UTC

Okay a bit of background information - I'm using an old laptop (which has Windows on it) that use to belong to my mother. It's capable of installing stuff and the DVD/CD drive thing on it works because it could install Microsoft Office and can play CDs and all that. But for some reason when I put Spore in the CD drive it doesn't work. Like the computer will start humming loudly for a moment like it usually does when it begins to read a CD/DVD but then it suddenly dies down and nothing shows up on the screen to signal that the drive is working. When I double click on the drive (D, I think) it shows up with an error message that reads "I/O device not working". Now I've looked up on the internet and tried a lot of methods of fixing this (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891894, I didn't do the clean boot thing because I wasn't exactly sure what it was but I did the Device Manager part and nothing changed) but nothing's worked so far. The computer doesn't have access to the internet. I'm installing Spore, just for your information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oh yeah, and the Spore CD works, because I ran a virus check on it on the desktop computer (which I am using now), so I'm assuming there's something wrong with the laptop CD/DVD drive.

Jorpho

Re: I/O Device Not Working (cannot install Spore onto laptop

Postby Jorpho » Sun May 30, 2010 9:31 pm UTC

Spore's DRM is famous for being Evil. I might wonder if it is at fault here, in which case I might suggest looking for an appropriate circumvention tool. Daemon Tools, perhaps.

Alternatively, there might be a firmware update for the drive that might remedy the compatibility problem with Spore's DRM, if that is in fact the case.

Cane

Postby Cane » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:13 pm UTC

I'll just toss out a remote possibility, since you mention the laptop is old. Is it possible that the drive reads only CDs and not DVDs? Have you installed other software that is definitely on a DVD-ROM and not a CD-ROM? I know I've had problems when I assume that old hardware meets current expectations, so it's worth asking, right?
Red Hal: I'll tell you what you can do with your autoerotic anal penetration, young Cane, you can shove it up y... oh, hang on.

Kromix

Postby Kromix » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:25 pm UTC

another thing. to those posted, is your Spore disk warped/bent? i have had in the past a bent/warped disk that tyes to overspin the disk attempting to read it, ending in a failure to read it.
Click Me! <---- Click There! :)
Spoiler:

Eliminator Jr.

Postby Eliminator Jr. » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:48 am UTC

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I've asked my cousin about it and we're going to attempt to install it by putting it on an external hard drive (my iPod) and then using a Crack file and another program (I've got no idea about any computer terminology so I'm just letting him do his thing) so it can be played/installed on the laptop from the hard drive instead of from the CD. Hopefully this works!

Cane wrote:I'll just toss out a remote possibility, since you mention the laptop is old. Is it possible that the drive reads only CDs and not DVDs? Have you installed other software that is definitely on a DVD-ROM and not a CD-ROM? I know I've had problems when I assume that old hardware meets current expectations, so it's worth asking, right?

Yes, it's definitely a DVD drive as well, I tested a DVD in there to make sure and it played properly.

Kromix wrote:another thing. to those posted, is your Spore disk warped/bent? i have had in the past a bent/warped disk that tyes to overspin the disk attempting to read it, ending in a failure to read it.

Yeah the Spore CD works, I did a virus check for it on the desktop computer before attempting to install it on the laptop and it worked fine.

Jorpho wrote:Daemon Tools, perhaps.

My cousin mentioned something about that - is that what you mean? I've got no idea what DRM means but yeah we're looking at playing it from the hard drive with I think Daemon Tools now.

My cousin suggested the problem might be an old DVD Driver or something? He's not a computer expert either but he knows more than I do. Anyway, I'll keep you posted on whether this thing works or not.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:19 pm UTC

Eliminator Jr. wrote:My cousin mentioned something about that - is that what you mean? I've got no idea what DRM means but yeah we're looking at playing it from the hard drive with I think Daemon Tools now.
Oh dear. DRM is Digital Rights Management, sir.

In the case of software discs, some DRM methods involve wacky little techniques whereby sectors of the disc are made unreadable in specific ways that cannot be easily duplicated with a standard burner, such that it is not a trivial matter to make a perfect duplicate of the disc. These techniques are sometimes so esoteric that not all drives can be expected to handle them the same way.

Daemon Tools circumvents these techniques by letting you make an image of the data on the disc in a special way that you can use with Daemon Tools' own "virtual" DVD-ROM drive, such that the software on the disc will still think that the original disc is being used.

My cousin suggested the problem might be an old DVD Driver or something?
Windows does not typically use DVD "drivers". As I said before, you might get somewhere by updating the internal firmware of your drive, which might improve its compatibility with some kinds of DRM.

Return to “The Help Desk”