Wireless Router Stupidity

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Jothcra

Wireless Router Stupidity

Postby Jothcra » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 am UTC

Hello,
I am a college student living in a dorm, and my roommates and I pooled our money and bought a wireless router. For a while, it worked perfectly fine. But recently it has begun to drop the connection with the school-wide network for no reason. The local network is still intact, but the router itself loses connection with the main network. What I am wondering is what could cause this.
Additionally, from time to time the connection speed slows to a crawl (200-300 kbps). If I plug my computer straight into the wall jack I normally get somewhere between 40-90 mbps. No idea how or why it would slow to sub DSL speeds.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be and how I could fix it?

sohmc

Re: Wireless Router Stupidity

Postby sohmc » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:51 pm UTC

I'm assuming you're using the router on your school network like most home users use a router to connect to an ISP (e.g. ISP->Router->computers)

I actually found that some universities are restricting connections to their "WAN" so that only computers can use the direct connection. My network-kungfu is a bit rusty but I believe that there's a flag in the network protocol that get's set when a router does NAT. I'm not sure on the details but I know it's the same at my work.

A few of us tried connecting a wireless router to the local connection so we could use our iPhones/iPads/etc instead of our desktops and then got scolded by the IT department for doing so.

You may want to try something like ISP->Linux computer configured to be a router->computers to see if that makes a difference.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:32 pm UTC

sohmc wrote:I actually found that some universities are restricting connections to their "WAN" so that only computers can use the direct connection. My network-kungfu is a bit rusty but I believe that there's a flag in the network protocol that get's set when a router does NAT. I'm not sure on the details but I know it's the same at my work.

There are a variety of tricks that you can use to spot NAT boxes attached to the network, and lots of counter-tricks a sufficiently smart router can do to combat them; if your router doesn't know one of the counter-tricks to a trick your university uses, it's likey they turned you off. Talk to your IT staff? Maybe you can explain to them why you want to have a router.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Halleck

Postby Halleck » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:21 am UTC

Couldn't you turn NAT off and setup the wireless router to work just as a DHCP repeater? Maybe I'm missing some concept of routing, but if the issue is having a router behind a router then get rid of the router and use it as an AP.

Return to “The Help Desk”