I think this PC is dead

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Jorpho

I think this PC is dead

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:56 pm UTC

It seems my power supply went haywire yesterday - I can say for sure that it's definitely dead. I tried plugging my spare power supply (which is definitely not dead) into the motherboard and the case lights came on when I pressed the power button, but there was no other sign of life. I tried swapping out the CPU and there was no change.

It seems the motherboard is also dead, but before I start plunking down hundreds of dollars on new parts, I thought I'd ask: is there anything else that might produce this behavior of case-lights-but-nothing-else?

EDIT: The spare power supply, while definitely not dead, was kind of flaky in itself. The computer powers up fine with a different power supply, but shuts off without warning after a few minutes of activity - sometimes leaving the case lights on, sometimes not. It would seem the motherboard has reached the end of its useful life.
Last edited by Jorpho on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:02 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

jcidiot

Re: I think this PC is dead

Postby jcidiot » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:40 pm UTC

change the video card?

does it beep?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:14 pm UTC

No beeps, and not even any audible fan sounds. (I should have mentioned that.) The lights on the optical drives don't even blink, which is what really surprises me.

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:02 am UTC

Did you remember to plug in the supplementary power connector for the CPU?
Did you get the number on that truck?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:07 am UTC

I was thinking it might be something like that, but I have plugged in the supplementary power connector, as well as the 20-pin montherboard connector and the other 4-pin connector that goes next to it, and I'm not aware of anything I might be missing.

This would be the motherboard, by the way:
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsup ... =c00864922

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:31 am UTC

I still have equipment using the 20 pin connector, so had to look up the new one. For the connector extension, does yellow meet yellow and red meet red? It appears to be keyed to prevent improper insertion, but plastic can be forced.

Edit: check it the motherboard is grounding out somewhere it shouldn't. In my experience, the Power supply shuts down immediately so all you hear is a "click" and the PSU fan twitches.
Did you get the number on that truck?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:50 am UTC

phillipsjk wrote:I still have equipment using the 20 pin connector, so had to look up the new one. For the connector extension, does yellow meet yellow and red meet red? It appears to be keyed to prevent improper insertion, but plastic can be forced.
Actually, I was kind of surprised to see that I apparently only plugged in the 20-pin connector and not the extra 4-pin before the power supply blew. I should add that this computer had been running for a good long time in its configuration when the PSU blew.

Edit: check it the motherboard is grounding out somewhere it shouldn't. In my experience, the Power supply shuts down immediately so all you hear is a "click" and the PSU fan twitches.
I'm not really sure how I would do that - like I said, the motherboard hasn't moved at all. Or did you mean the PSU might be grounding out somewhere?

Gen. Cartman Lee

Postby Gen. Cartman Lee » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:51 am UTC

You kids............

99% of all PSUs that die are due to the crappy electrolytic caps inside. Open the lid, and change out all the ones with the ends that have gunk spewing out.

Same goes for your TV.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:38 am UTC

Gen. Cartman Lee wrote:You kids............

99% of all PSUs that die are due to the crappy electrolytic caps inside. Open the lid, and change out all the ones with the ends that have gunk spewing out.

Same goes for your TV.

Note that on all the PSU's I've ever seen, they have a big IF YOU OPEN THIS SEAL YOU LOSE YOUR WARRANTY sticker, so only do this if you don't intend on RMAing the thing.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:04 am UTC

They can also give you a nasty shock if they're not discharged.

Gen. Cartman Lee

Postby Gen. Cartman Lee » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:20 am UTC

And?

The big, huge ones, that form the "off-line switcher" are not the ones that usually go bad. They tend to be a higher quality, as they are in a position that can make for some real problems, if they explode.

The ones that go bad are going to be low voltage ones. Especially in a computer PSU.

Sero

Postby Sero » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:45 am UTC

All I know is, an instructor of mine very insistently made everyone he taught promise to never do anything to CRT monitors and PSUs. He didn't have problems getting his way, either, after breaking out pictures of his hand with a massive arc-burn and showing off the scar, etc. And he was trained in repairing them. So...

I'm going to have to very strongly urge a 'Don't try this at home, kids' approach to this. Death or horrifying, disfiguring burns can result. Some may protest there is minimal danger, and I readily concede I have limited expertise on the subject to put it mildly, but...Erring on the side of caution when taking advice from strangers on the internet is usually not the worst thing you can do.
Princess Marzipan wrote:Dear God, we seriously just went and dug up CITATIONS for TORTURE being a WAR CRIME.

We have been fucking TROLLED, dear readers.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:02 pm UTC

(I updated the OP to avoid further confusion.)

keeperofdakeys

Postby keeperofdakeys » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:46 pm UTC

Sero wrote:All I know is, an instructor of mine very insistently made everyone he taught promise to never do anything to CRT monitors and PSUs. He didn't have problems getting his way, either, after breaking out pictures of his hand with a massive arc-burn and showing off the scar, etc. And he was trained in repairing them. So...

I'm going to have to very strongly urge a 'Don't try this at home, kids' approach to this. Death or horrifying, disfiguring burns can result. Some may protest there is minimal danger, and I readily concede I have limited expertise on the subject to put it mildly, but...Erring on the side of caution when taking advice from strangers on the internet is usually not the worst thing you can do.

If I remember correctly, they hold a significantly large charge for a few weeks, so don't do this unless you feel risky.

This sounds like it may be the motherboard. You can try pulling out other pieces and see what it does, like beeping without a video card, if it doesn't then it is motherboard. I would say the only suspect parts, but a small smidgen, is the video card and memory.

Return to “The Help Desk”