ISP block bypassing

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

korjen_iz_2

ISP block bypassing

Postby korjen_iz_2 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:23 pm UTC

ok so here's the deal. I've heard about a way to bypass ISP blockage without using proxy.
The idea is to ping the website being accessed and find its IP and trace the route via tracert cmd command.

So then you input all the hops into a program that detects at which hop the ISP is blocking access and the program makes your computer skip that hop entirely...

Now the thing is i cannot, for the life of me, find the name of the program that is supposed to do this, and the friend that told me that cannot remember it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :mrgreen:

keeperofdakeys

Re: ISP block bypassing

Postby keeperofdakeys » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:47 pm UTC

This goes against my current understanding of networking, that you have no control over a packet once it leaves. How can a packet just skip a hop, it is like saying you can access the internet when your modem isn't connected to the internet, by 'bypassing' that hop.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:16 pm UTC

I have a vague memory of there being ways to embed routing information into a packet. I don't think they are actually obeyed by routers, however.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

korjen_iz_2

Postby korjen_iz_2 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:52 pm UTC

as i understood, my friend meant it skipped it further down the line, not at the modem (lol).
i do not know if it is possible but it seems kind of logical.

like you have hops:

1 - 84.72.49.122
2 - 20.123.33.1
3 - 90.122.243.32

and your ISP puts a block on the second (if this doesnt make any sense feel free to stop me, this is just how i understood my friend's words) and it just tells the packet to go straight from 1) to 3) skipping the block entirely(?)

On another note, what's the simplest way to skip these restrictions (proxy included)? :D

Moose Hole

Postby Moose Hole » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

korjen_iz_2 wrote:On another note, what's the simplest way to skip these restrictions (proxy included)? :D
Get a new ISP.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:43 pm UTC

1 - 84.72.49.122
2 - 20.123.33.1
3 - 90.122.243.32

84.72.49.122 isn't connected to 90.122.243.32 in general in the above case. Usually, 20.123.33.1 is the 'gateway' between the network that 84.72.49.122 is on and the one that 90.122.243.32 is on.

I have a vague memory of there being IP commands that tell it to try to take a different route from 84.72.49.122 to 90.122.243.32, but I also remember vaguely that they are obsolete (and it might not even be IP that I'm remembering) as routers ignore them. In addition, there would have to exist such a route (and in the case of an ISP doing filtering, there wouldn't exist such a route), and you'd have to know it (which you wouldn't).
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

korjen_iz_2

Postby korjen_iz_2 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:01 pm UTC

Moose Hole wrote:
korjen_iz_2 wrote:On another note, what's the simplest way to skip these restrictions (proxy included)? :D

Get a new ISP.

well this is the school network im trying to break...sucks to queue up every torrent i'd like to download on my laptop (which i carry to IT class...don't ask...) since the school has restrictions, and it has insane DL speeds and i take full advantage of that...

my home network has no restrictions (except for maybe throttling since my torrent speeds have been quite low lately).

Yakk wrote:
1 - 84.72.49.122
2 - 20.123.33.1
3 - 90.122.243.32

84.72.49.122 isn't connected to 90.122.243.32 in general in the above case. Usually, 20.123.33.1 is the 'gateway' between the network that 84.72.49.122 is on and the one that 90.122.243.32 is on.

I have a vague memory of there being IP commands that tell it to try to take a different route from 84.72.49.122 to 90.122.243.32, but I also remember vaguely that they are obsolete (and it might not even be IP that I'm remembering) as routers ignore them. In addition, there would have to exist such a route (and in the case of an ISP doing filtering, there wouldn't exist such a route), and you'd have to know it (which you wouldn't).

well i appreciate the effort and the answers...seems i'll have to just queue it up every time...c'est la vie...=)
and yes i tried to do a tracert today in IT class and the connection kept timing out so yeah i get your point...

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:40 pm UTC

If it's doing DNS filtering, you can get around that by using a different DNS resolver, maybe, or finding some inconsistency (like they might not block pings, which essentially lets you resolve the address).

Otherwise, if it's IP-level filtering, you're pretty much stuck without a proxy. There is a way to embed routing information into IP packets, but it's not used in the internet at large because it's not the way that the internet does routing among stable networks. That information can be used when establishing connections over ad-hoc networks, however, but I'm not sure if it's used anywhere in practice. Even if it were used in that way, it would be simple for your school's routers to look at the headers for that packet, and/or it's routing information, and drop packets that have a blacklisted IP address in them.

You are using machines that somebody else controls, so you have to live with the controls they put on it. Competently run filtering will stop you.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

korjen_iz_2

Postby korjen_iz_2 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:58 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:If it's doing DNS filtering, you can get around that by using a different DNS resolver, maybe, or finding some inconsistency (like they might not block pings, which essentially lets you resolve the address).

well i CAN ping the restricted sites but i cant traceroute it cuz it keeps timing out...it says something like:

(probably the computers ip)
connection timed out (i think there were 8 of these and i had to wait a noticeable amount of time for each)
(ip of the site)

so i dont really know which one its using, DNS or IP filtering...ill try to set up a proxy on Tuesday (next IT class)
also i tried to just enter the site's IP in the URL bar in case it just blocks on the URL entered...didnt work...

cogman

Postby cogman » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:09 am UTC

Hate to break it to you, but you can't go around your ISP. They are there to stay no matter what. The best you can hope to do is a proxy. Tor is pretty dang near unstoppable.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:12 am UTC

korjen_iz_2 wrote:
Meteorswarm wrote:If it's doing DNS filtering, you can get around that by using a different DNS resolver, maybe, or finding some inconsistency (like they might not block pings, which essentially lets you resolve the address).

well i CAN ping the restricted sites but i cant traceroute it cuz it keeps timing out...it says something like:

(probably the computers ip)
connection timed out (i think there were 8 of these and i had to wait a noticeable amount of time for each)
(ip of the site)

so i dont really know which one its using, DNS or IP filtering...ill try to set up a proxy on Tuesday (next IT class)
also i tried to just enter the site's IP in the URL bar in case it just blocks on the URL entered...didnt work...

Well, if you could get together with your desired endpoint you could probably do ping tunneling, but really, just use a proxy (or tor, which is just a whole lot of proxies with some encryption).
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

korjen_iz_2

Postby korjen_iz_2 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:00 pm UTC

well im probably going to set up a proxy just for the heck of it...learning new stuff...
all of this was kinda hypothetical...just considering my options about all of it...

well thanks for all the help, mate...:D
cheers! *holds up a beer*

RahulKolasseri

Postby RahulKolasseri » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:49 pm UTC

With a tiny amount of know how( ka, the ability to follow the instructions), you can use the google app engine to roll your own proxy for free. From my experience with it, it's fast enough to stream video, which is something i cannot do with any free proxy i can find off the web. The only limitation is the daily 1gb(i think, not sure) bandwidth limitation, which is not too bad.
Xeio wrote:Small amounts of cancer are definately worth the awesome.

tendays

Postby tendays » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:08 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:Well, if you could get together with your desired endpoint you could probably do ping tunneling, but really, just use a proxy (or tor, which is just a whole lot of proxies with some encryption).
Icmp tunnels are only really useful when *all* tcp connections are blocked (or only allowed to very few specific sites) but icmp is let through, as is common in airports etc until you pay up.
If you can make tcp connections to your own machine then making a regular socks proxy or ssh server (which you can then use for tunnelling) is easier. You'll note that tunnelling through icmp only works if you can control one of the machines you can ping — being able to ping the target host is useless as is..

On a related note, at connections that block tcp and icmp but lets you do dns queries you should be able to tunnel over dns. But is there a way to have the dns proxy simultaneously act as a legitimate dns server (By treating differently legitimate dns queries and tcp packets wrapped in dns queries)?
I've never been able to try tcp over dns because the only system with a fixed ip I have control on, is already a dns server serving actual domains. I should study these one day.
<Will> s/hate/love/
Hammer wrote:We are only mildly modly. :D
Beware of the shrolymerase!

Return to “The Help Desk”