Network question

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

archeleus

Network question

Postby archeleus » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:34 am UTC

Sorry about the bad title but I don't know what else to call this.

Anyway I'm on Windows at the moment and when I do an ipconfig I get something like

Code: Select all

Ethernet Adapter LAC* 15:
<internal ip/subnet mask/etc>
Ethernet Adapter LAC:
<same shit>
Ethernet Adapter LAC* 9:
<same>

Why *9 and *15? Can I switch between them? Why is there no default gateway marked in *15?

Also, on a related topic, how can I use the route command without resolving addresses to domain names? (Linux, inb4 rtfm/google)
I write a blog rant here.

keeperofdakeys

Re: Network question

Postby keeperofdakeys » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:35 am UTC

You might have installed some windows programs that make new network connections, there are many that do this.

archeleus wrote:Also, on a related topic, how can I use the route command without resolving addresses to domain names? (Linux, inb4 rtfm/google)

I am a little confused by this. Do you mean resolving domain names addresses? Do you want to add a route rule for a domain name? You do know that DNS is cheap, and your router and computer will cache results. If you are trying to route on a machine without internet access, then where is the traffic going to go? I think it is possible for DNS to go over a proxy, if that is the reason.
Last edited by keeperofdakeys on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

archeleus

Postby archeleus » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:50 am UTC

keeperofdakeys wrote:I am a little confused by this.

Sorry, I think I phrased that wrongly. What I meant is instead of getting an output like something.something.else under gateway, I just want the IP address.

keeperofdakeys wrote:You might have installed some windows programs that make new network connections, there are many that do this.

No, its there even on a clean boot. The didn't mention my installed adapters (TUN/wlan etc)

keeperofdakeys

Postby keeperofdakeys » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:09 am UTC

archeleus wrote:
keeperofdakeys wrote:I am a little confused by this.

Sorry, I think I phrased that wrongly. What I meant is instead of getting an output like something.something.else under gateway, I just want the IP address.

You can always use nslookup (on linux and windows) to find the ip-address, you might find more information using "ipconfig /all". I don't know how any of this should stop you form using the route command. I still appear to be confused.
archeleus wrote:
keeperofdakeys wrote:You might have installed some windows programs that make new network connections, there are many that do this.

No, its there even on a clean boot. The didn't mention my installed adapters (TUN/wlan etc)

Yeah, you'll find that they are put there during installation and removed on uninstall, usually. "ipconfig /all" should tell you what is actually using them.

Kromix

Postby Kromix » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:45 pm UTC

can you do an ip config /all and post all the raw garbage?
Click Me! <---- Click There! :)
Spoiler:

yewbie

Postby yewbie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:04 pm UTC

IPv6 addresses with the prefix fe80::/64 are link-local addresses that are constructed by combining that prefix with the hardware address of the network device, 71a3:2b00:ddd3:753f in your example. (The analog in IPv4 is 169.254.0.0/16.) Since the prefix is the same for all link-local addresses on a machine, routing might sometimes need to know which interface you are referring to. And that is what the number after the percent, called the zone index, specifies. Specifics depend on the operating system: On Windows, %16 is interface number 16; on Linux for example you might see something like %eth0.

Some tools or APIs will consider this zone index unimportant or implicit for their purposes. For example, on Linux the ifconfig tool doesn't show it because it is obvious which interface an address belongs to. But in general it should be taken into account.

Source: http://superuser.com/questions/99746/wh ... v6-address

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:08 am UTC

archeleus wrote:Also, on a related topic, how can I use the route command without resolving addresses to domain names? (Linux, inb4 rtfm/google)

Since this one didn't end up getting answered:

route -n

Also:

man route

@keeper: if your routes are messed up, it's possible that your DNS requests are going nowhere... in which case when you run route, for every address it tries to print out, you have to wait for it to send a DNS request, get no response, time out, and give up. 30 second timeout and half a dozen rows means several minutes waiting for your output. Whereas route -n runs immediately and has more useful info anyway. Ditto netstat -a vs netstat -an... DNS is cheap, but when you have many connections listed, some of which don't even have an rDNS, it can take a while to run.

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

archeleus

Postby archeleus » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:32 am UTC

Oh I forgot about this topic, resolved thanks. And yeah route -n was what I was looking for. Thanks.

Return to “The Help Desk”