Laptop hanging on startup

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Vellyr

Laptop hanging on startup

Postby Vellyr » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:23 am UTC

For the past couple days my laptop (HP pavillion dv7, running windows 7) has been failing to load the desktop when I start it up. The background image will come up, but no icons will display and no programs appear to run, and the cursor turns into a loading wheel. Some other notes:

-It doesn't happen every time I start up
-My virus scan (ESET) picks up nothing
-Loading into safe mode and then restarting has fixed the problem all 3 times I've tried it.
-I pruned down my startup programs already, but it didn't seem to help

Re: Laptop hanging on startup

Postby 2.71828183 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:40 pm UTC

My guess is it's a driver. I don't know what exactly the mechanism is (maybe someone more technically literate can fill us both in), but I had a similar problem on my desktop and it seems to be related to my wireless driver. A rollback to the previous version made the problem go away, at least so far. I tracked down mine by noticing that the problem only occurred with the wireless enabled (I disable it when I have a hard line plugged in, since my computer seems to prefer using the wireless) and with a hard line connected as well. Even then, it was intermittent enough that it took a while to figure out what's going on.

If you can't find a pattern in the problem, I don't know what advice to give you other than to check that every driver is updated, and then if you are suspicious of one that is updated, try rolling it back/disabling it and see if it works.

yewbie

Postby yewbie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:13 pm UTC

2.71828183 wrote:My guess is it's a driver. I don't know what exactly the mechanism is (maybe someone more technically literate can fill us both in), but I had a similar problem on my desktop and it seems to be related to my wireless driver. A rollback to the previous version made the problem go away, at least so far. I tracked down mine by noticing that the problem only occurred with the wireless enabled (I disable it when I have a hard line plugged in, since my computer seems to prefer using the wireless) and with a hard line connected as well. Even then, it was intermittent enough that it took a while to figure out what's going on.

I agree the last few time I saw this it was caused by a network card driver. Wireless and Wired.

radicaledward101

Postby radicaledward101 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:15 am UTC

2.71828183 wrote:My guess is it's a driver.

I would also agree with this guess. Windows 7 is still very new and is bound to have endless driver issues.

Also make sure that any peripherals or optical disks you are using aren't causing the problem.

I wrote too much (as I have a tendency to do). The spoiler below has a long ramble about drivers, peripherals, and anti-virus software. It was going to be my post originally. When I finished it I realized how off-topic it was.
Spoiler:
I had a similar experience (though on completely unrelated hardware and software) with a mouse driver. If the mouse was plugged into a usb port at startup then the driver would attempt to load and fail. This failure to load blocked/canceled the desktop load. Since no other drivers were available for the mouse I was forced to unplug it before I turned on the computer. The driver loaded properly if the mouse was plugged in after the desktop load.

Unfortunately you can't really unplug your network card (or any other major hardware piece) and then stick it in after boot... But luckily there are generally several working drivers for any given card with many iterations.

If you are using any peripherals (an external mouse, keyboard, hard disk, flash drive, etc) try running the computer without them. In the old days you had to worry about having a disk in the optical drive so you may as well take that out of the equation (to eliminate the disk being targeted as the startup disk, although that shouldn't be a problem anymore). If it works without the peripherals but not with them you know what is wrong. You can potentially adjust the driver for the peripheral and be done.

If you are not using any peripherals, you can attempt a rollback on your network card's driver. I'm not sure that I would recommend this unless the latest driver version's release actually corresponds to the time the problem began. Driver updates can be fixes for security holes or huge glitches and as such tend to be pretty important. You can always update the driver again if it doesn't help.

You may also want to try running a secondary anti-virus program (if you can't find a driver that is responsible). Do not install a second program directly to the computer and do not pay for a second one. Instead run a second program off of a flash drive. Portable Apps has a number of good options, but you will want to research this yourself to learn what will work for you. Some security tools can be pretty in-depth and dangerous.
For some reason I write ridiculously long posts on this forum. In order to curb tl;dr syndrome I attempt to spoiler and summarize where possible. Let me know if my post structure is overly confusing!

Return to “The Help Desk”