DVD drive isn't recognised once in a while

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

archeleus

DVD drive isn't recognised once in a while

Postby archeleus » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:48 pm UTC

So the the drive which I have on one of my boxes isn't being recognised at all right now. If I open up the box and plug the SATA cable into a different port on the the motherboard it works fine again. It goes back to being not detected in a while (weeks/months). Why? Can't be a defective SATA port cause I can keep switching between two ports and it works again. So yeah, what dyou think?
I write a blog rant here.

yewbie

Re: DVD drive isn't recognised once in a while

Postby yewbie » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:17 pm UTC

Have you tried replacing the cable itself?
Jostling the cable by moving it could temporarily fix whatever connection issues its having.

I have only seen 1 bad sata cable out of thousands and it was totally dead for no reason I could find, even after a dissection of it. Worth a shot if you have not tried it though.

archeleus

Postby archeleus » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:43 am UTC

I guess I've a spare cable lying around, I'll try it out.
I write a blog rant here.

cphite

Postby cphite » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:32 pm UTC

archeleus wrote:So the the drive which I have on one of my boxes isn't being recognised at all right now. If I open up the box and plug the SATA cable into a different port on the the motherboard it works fine again. It goes back to being not detected in a while (weeks/months). Why? Can't be a defective SATA port cause I can keep switching between two ports and it works again. So yeah, what dyou think?

What if you unplug the SATA cable and then plug it back into the same port? It's possible that you have a cable problem, or a loose connection somewhere, and the act of unplugging/plugging is causing things to settle back temporarily. I had something like this with an old machine of mine, where every so often the video would go, but if you removed and replaced (or sometimes even just jiggled) the video card it would work again. Something loose, a cracked solder somewhere...

Hopefully it's just the cable :)

Return to “The Help Desk”