Customizing an off-the-air original Droid

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Ishindri

Customizing an off-the-air original Droid

Postby Ishindri » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:19 pm UTC

Okay, so a few months back, my original Droid's power button just broke. No worky. Given that, and how sluggishly it was running, I bit the bullet and pulled an early upgrade to a Droid X2. I love it, haven't looked back. Except today, when I finally got around to transferring the 16 GB microSD card that came with the original Droid into my new phone. And I got around to thinking... Aside from being off a cell network (and having to plug it in to turn it on), it's still a perfectly functional Android phone. It can still connect to WiFi, run Angry Birds or NetHack, take pictures and video, et cetera, et cetera. And I'm a lot more inclined to experiment on it, now that bricking it won't leave me completely phone-less.

So, any suggestions? I know I've heard a lot of people talk about how much faster their phones ran after they rooted, so I figure I'll start there. My level of experience is practically nil, though. I know what rooting is, of course, and have a vague idea of what Titanium Backup is, but that's about it. My one concern is that if it requires some sort of hardware access using the power button (hold it when starting up or whatever) I won't be able to do it. Plus I have no idea what's good or bad ROM-wise or anything. Cyanogen is the only one I can name off the top of my head.

Thanks in advance.
All is well. We are not like the others.

Return to “The Help Desk”