Uploading mail attachments shuts down internet connection

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

ArgonV

Uploading mail attachments shuts down internet connection

Postby ArgonV » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:51 pm UTC

Hey guys,

I've got a weird problem. Whenever I try to upload an attachment to my Gmail account, the internet connection on this PC shuts down and the error given is 'the default gateway is not accessible'. It's terribly inconvenient and I haven't been able to find out what's wrong. The PC in question is a Windows 7 PC connected with a wire to an Apple Airport router. It also loses internet connection spontaneously on occasion (same error), but a sure way to force it, is to try and upload an attachment to Gmail.
Strange thing is, when I do the same thing on my laptop, also Windows 7 connected wireless, it works like a charm. Hell, even my phone (Android) can upload attachments to Gmail. So it seems likely there's something wrong on this PC. I've tried updating my network card drivers, but it says the most recent version has already been installed.

Any help or additional information you need?

Thanks!

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Re: Uploading mail attachments shuts down internet connectio

Postby Yakk » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:16 pm UTC

By "upload attachment", you mean "log into gmail, create an email, hit the 'add attachment' button, select a file, and then watch the progress bar"?

By wire you mean Cat5e or so? (Ie, network cable with ends that look a little like a telephone connection?)

ipconfig's output wouldn't hurt. A dumping of the networking diagnostics on the Apple Airport wouldn't hurt. Replacing the wire you use to connect to the Apple Airport wouldn't hurt (it could be damaged), as could changing the route (do you go by any power cables for any length of distance? Is the network cable bent sharply? Is it squeezed or crushed by something?) If I was diagnosing this problem on my own machine, I'd try to find system logs that detail what is going on near/around the time, and/or find a package that would record network traffic and maybe give me a clue.

Note, however, that a wired connection is probably going to have a much higher bandwidth than any wireless connection. So the problem might be as simple as the Apple Airport router blowing up from too much data and not failing gracefully.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:14 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:By "upload attachment", you mean "log into gmail, create an email, hit the 'add attachment' button, select a file, and then watch the progress bar"?

Yeah. Except that there isn't much to watch, the bar will fill up for a bit, then it'll terminate my internet connection
Yakk wrote:By wire you mean Cat5e or so? (Ie, network cable with ends that look a little like a telephone connection?)

Affirmative
Yakk wrote:ipconfig's output wouldn't hurt. A dumping of the networking diagnostics on the Apple Airport wouldn't hurt.

How do I do that?
Yakk wrote:Replacing the wire you use to connect to the Apple Airport wouldn't hurt (it could be damaged), as could changing the route (do you go by any power cables for any length of distance? Is the network cable bent sharply? Is it squeezed or crushed by something?)

Cable is practically new and doesn't make any weird bends
Yakk wrote:If I was diagnosing this problem on my own machine, I'd try to find system logs that detail what is going on near/around the time, and/or find a package that would record network traffic and maybe give me a clue.

Note, however, that a wired connection is probably going to have a much higher bandwidth than any wireless connection. So the problem might be as simple as the Apple Airport router blowing up from too much data and not failing gracefully.

So, I could test that by using this wire to connect my laptop to the router, then try to upload an attachment with the wireless connection from my laptop turned off, right?
Though I doubt it's that simple, sending large (1 GiB+ @ 1 MiB/s) is no problem for this connection normally.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:14 pm UTC

Run "ipconfig" at the command line? (assuming a Windows based box), or "ifconfig" if *nix based. Running it both before and after you have your problem will give you the IP address of your gateway (on the private side) and maybe a diagnostic about where it went (probably not enough information however).

I don't know how to use an Apple Airport, or diagnose if it is broken. I'd use google to learn how to do that, you can try.

Most routers allow you to connect to a webpage on their inside facing port and configure it from that side.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ronart

Postby ronart » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:38 am UTC

Hello all.
I realize this thread is old I and came across it doing a Google search as I was having the EXACT same problem as the original poster.
Perhaps I can help anyone else who has this issue, and happens to find this thread as well. I have a more detailed step by step explanation, but basically, try changing your Transmission rates, and Basic rates, from within the admin/control panel for your router. I did this and problem solved!

Return to “The Help Desk”