Windows 8 BSOD "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

mago

Windows 8 BSOD "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

Postby mago » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:19 am UTC

So, i got a new computer for chistmas, a computer with windows 8. It works fine in general, but it has recently taken to BSODing at more or less random times (at least, i can't find the common thread) with the error message "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL." I tried searching online, but to little avail. any of you got any idea what's wrong and how to fix it?

cphite

Re: Windows 8 BSOD "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

Postby cphite » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:46 pm UTC

mago wrote:So, i got a new computer for chistmas, a computer with windows 8. It works fine in general, but it has recently taken to BSODing at more or less random times (at least, i can't find the common thread) with the error message "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL." I tried searching online, but to little avail. any of you got any idea what's wrong and how to fix it?

It basically means that some kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high. Or to put it into English, the driver for some piece of hardware on your machine is attempting to access memory that it shouldn't be accessing; or that Windows believes it shouldn't be accessing.

Couple of things to try:
1. Open up Device Manager and look for any devices that have alerts on them; if they do, try updating the drivers.

2. Run a complete virus scan. Windows 8 comes with Defender (Microsoft Security Essentials) preinstalled but if you have some other program, you can use that one. It wouldn't be a bad idea to download a copy of MalwareBytes and run a full scan with that as well - no virus scanner finds everything, and if you have a virus, chances are it's because the AV program you're using didn't find it ;)

3. Run a complete memory test. Google "memory test" and you'll find a bunch, I recommend Memtest.

4. Run a complete disk scan. Have it check for errors, and when it says you need to reboot to run it, do so.

5. You might also want to peruse Event Logger to see if any devices give alerts right before a crash.

Since it's new, it probably has a warranty or service plan; if none of the above works, you may have some bad hardware. If that's the case, you'll need to go the warranty route.

ablubeti

Re: Windows 8 BSOD "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

Postby ablubeti » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:08 pm UTC

having the same problem with my pc and just dont know why :(

plzz help!!!!!!!

Return to “The Help Desk”