Dota 2 : Dota Harder

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

sardia

Re: Dota 2 : Dota Harder

Postby sardia » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:08 pm UTC

The increased cost commits you even more to jungling. The whole point of midas is to get an xp and gold advantage, and it gives the most xp by transmuting the highest level creep. If it costs more, it delays the jungler a bit, but then you have to spend even more time jungling to make up the lost time.

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Wed May 14, 2014 8:59 am UTC

Does anyone know of a website that has up to date and decent build orders? I use Dotafire mainly but I've been finding that the builds aren't massively up to date and some are just plain wrong. I usually have my build on the second screen so that I can double check what I'm doing as I'm going along. Had a good game last night with Nightstalker right up until the last ten minutes when my team seemingly fell apart and we kept dying as the other team fought as a team and all the rest were fractured somewhere else. :(
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

Zcorp

Postby Zcorp » Thu May 15, 2014 7:56 am UTC

Sytri wrote:Does anyone know of a website that has up to date and decent build orders?

There really isn't one. What are you looking for specifically? Few heroes have builds that you will always want to go, most of then have a some variety in items and skill order depending on your team and theirs.

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Thu May 15, 2014 8:30 am UTC

Zcorp wrote:
Sytri wrote:Does anyone know of a website that has up to date and decent build orders?

There really isn't one. What are you looking for specifically? Few heroes have builds that you will always want to go, most of then have a some variety in items and skill order depending on your team and theirs.

I'm looking to expand into the heroes I've not played at all and would have liked some up to date info. I'll just go through what dotafire has then.

Zcorp

Postby Zcorp » Thu May 15, 2014 7:46 pm UTC

Happy to help you out if you want to list some you are starting to play.

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Fri May 16, 2014 9:29 am UTC

Zcorp wrote:Happy to help you out if you want to list some you are starting to play.

Thanks, but it's literally going to be me going from left to right on the heroes I've not played before. Just so I can get a bit better vision of what I can possibly be up against.

I've enjoyed playing BH recently but the last few games I've offlaned well, ganked a little but the rest of my team has just fallen apart or everyone picked carries and we just get stomped by a slightly better team that had at least one support.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun May 18, 2014 4:15 pm UTC

The (6.81) series of guides that most characters have in-game are usually pretty good for learning, and often even offer some variations within their build, so I'd suggest rocking with those.

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Mon May 19, 2014 9:12 am UTC

Managed a few games over the weekend. Found out I'd quit too many games so had to play for no points. So ended up as dark seer, I like him and I can see why he's a good offlaner. Although most of the time I ended up in the safelane trying to be some sort of support. Didn't care because I wasn't in it for anything but to get the game done so kept pushing and annoying. was fun. Then had a match that finished and we'd won yet it thought I'd abandoned the game and brought me back to 5 games no points. That's when I spent the night playing Ursa and owning everyone who doesn't know how to play against him. I'm now 2 games away from getting points again and will start experimenting after that :)

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:49 am UTC

Double post but otherwise I doubt it'll get noticed.

Started a smurf account so that I can try out invoker at lower levels. Damn is he fun!

One question I have though; when invoking spells are you supposed to always be hitting Q/W/E then inovoke or is the idea that you plan your spells so that you go for spells like emp (www) invoke, "press Q" (wwq) invoke.

so that now you have emp and tornado banked so to speak. then press E (wqe) so that you have deafening blast ready to be invoked.

I.E. is the idea to press as few buttons as possible to invoke spells or are people of the mind that it's better to be safe than sorry and not try and remember what you have out already?

Zcorp

Postby Zcorp » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:59 am UTC

Sytri wrote:Double post but otherwise I doubt it'll get noticed.

Started a smurf account so that I can try out invoker at lower levels. Damn is he fun!

One question I have though; when invoking spells are you supposed to always be hitting Q/W/E then inovoke or is the idea that you plan your spells so that you go for spells like emp (www) invoke, "press Q" (wwq) invoke.

so that now you have emp and tornado banked so to speak. then press E (wqe) so that you have deafening blast ready to be invoked.

I.E. is the idea to press as few buttons as possible to invoke spells or are people of the mind that it's better to be safe than sorry and not try and remember what you have out already?

The best invoker players interiorize what they have out so they require fewest buttons to get to the combo they desire. So, it is good to practice using what is out there, but as you mention there is greater opportunity for mistakes.

To start out I'd just hit all three in sequence, and once you no longer really have to think about how to get the next spell that you want then focus on minimizing buttons to get there.
Last edited by Zcorp on Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:01 am UTC

That's what I thought. I wish I hadn't have been so scared of learning him! I think I could have great fun with Invoker once I get used to all the spells. I used him as a support/carry with sniper against earthshaker and lifestealer. They just couldn't get close. Great fun.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:18 pm UTC

A fun tactic in pubs is to rush Radiance and then just Ghostwalk around the enemy team, especially during teamfights. Not gonna work if they communicate or have sense, but pubstomps can be hilarious with that.

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:10 pm UTC

Just wanted to post this because it made me happy. Played a game as OD against Pudge mid. for 10 minutes I kept him at 26 mana. 26. Essentially starved him out of mid so I could get some more farm. Then when he tried to gank, as soon as he saw me he ran back to the towers. I've never felt so much power against Pudge before. The only let down was that OD just cant push towers. I would've liked to have just toppled mid T1 and then roamed. I did roam but kept coming back to mid when the equilibrium was messed with. I really like OD but even as a hard carry he doesn't seem to have massive damage just very good.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:46 pm UTC

Sytri wrote:I did roam

You shouldn't really do that on OD, unless a lane really needs the help and you can go and drop a sanity on it or something. Your role is to stay mid, dominate the lane until your opponent runs away in disgust, farm as long as you can, get fat as hell, then kill everyone. Really, the only way you should move is tping to counter a gank.

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:32 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
Sytri wrote:I did roam

You shouldn't really do that on OD, unless a lane really needs the help and you can go and drop a sanity on it or something. Your role is to stay mid, dominate the lane until your opponent runs away in disgust, farm as long as you can, get fat as hell, then kill everyone. Really, the only way you should move is tping to counter a gank.

Yeah, i only ganked to make Pudge back off. I was trying to balance my getting fed and starving him out. Our safelane had a squishy support and carry (forget who now) and I didn't want them feeding pudge and the two offlaners. It worked though, he spent most of his time walking between top and bottomtrying to get kills. After a while he picked up on when I was missing from mid and started to go to a different lane. So when I spotted him trying to gank (thank god for supports that ward well) I'd just disappear for a while and he'd move away.

Had to leave a game last night due to 2000ms lag and now I'm back in the naughty pen. Gah.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:31 am UTC

Anyone else watching TI4? Got any favourites?
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:35 pm UTC

Anyone that willingly takes a teamfight before minute 50, really.

Edit: Just finished watching that Newbee game and it's nice to see someone playing Weaver not in a naive farm-carry role, instead easily getting away with dives that would be impossible with any other hero.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:04 am UTC

Oh God. Techies.

I'm awful with them; but because they're going to be in every match for a while I decided to play KoTL and just keep recharging ours so he could mine everywhere.

We got first blood and second kill in about 1 min. Good start, we're both well kitted out then and we push the lane. Except it's just me pushing the lane. Techies keeps mining the same spot we got our last kills from. Even after they start warding those spots. So I de-ward and hope he'll shift. He doesn't. And to top it all, he sign posts ALL his minefields. All it did was then stall our demise. I was playing late at night so didn't think to comment but after sleeping on it I realised we would've finished them off as we'd completely zoned them out of our lane. Didn't help our carry (PA) decided they didn't want to stick around for our end. Next time I play I'm plugging my mic in and will lead them about. A techies and KoTL are bloody dangerous if they coordinate.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

I am so fed up of troll and sniper.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

timrem

Postby timrem » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:13 am UTC

TI7 has ended, and
Spoiler:
Liquid have done it!

:D

Return to “Gaming”