Games you can't remember the title of.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Re: Games you can't remember the title of.

Postby Deva » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:04 pm UTC

PortgasDMana wrote:No. It was Pacman. I played it around 2003-2004 on the internet.

Pac-Man Arrangement? May have reproduced it elsewhere on the internet. Specifically mentioned warp points like teleporters. Was it still top-down, or more three-dimensional? (Asks, just in case.)
Changes its form depending on the observer.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:44 pm UTC

lucksma96 wrote:* Background: This is an attempt to help my friend find a game that he's not even sure it's real, it might be a figment of his imagination lol he said that it was around the early 90s, and that he never beat it. Also, it had a mysterious vibe.
* System: DOS
* Year: Around the early 90s
* Perspective: Completely 2D, without the sense of perspective.
* Art style: Very pixelated, with solid colors.
* Environment: It looks like the focus of the game was mainly the environment, like if the character was just a detail and didn't occupy much space on-screen. There was someone (an NPC?) that transformed into a bird (maybe a crow). Also, the game had dialogs in text boxes. The only thing about the scenery he remembers is some place with a church, or church-like windows, like those big glass panes.
* Mood: It had a dark mood.
* Genre: It looks like some fantasy adventure, possibly medieval.
* Gameplay: The interaction was either by clicking or by moving the character with the arrow keys. When switching scenarios (or levels?) there seemed to be some sort of animation or transition.

Sorry for the broadness, like I said, he's not even sure the game existed... :P
Thanks in advance! :D

Maybe Loom?

[edit]Yeah, like 95% sure this is right. The opening sequence has a cathedral and a bunch of people turning into birds.

PortgasDMana

Postby PortgasDMana » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:43 pm UTC

Deva wrote:
PortgasDMana wrote:No. It was Pacman. I played it around 2003-2004 on the internet.

Pac-Man Arrangement? May have reproduced it elsewhere on the internet. Specifically mentioned warp points like teleporters. Was it still top-down, or more three-dimensional? (Asks, just in case.)

No. It was 2D.

Common_Freak

Postby Common_Freak » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:32 pm UTC

PortgasDMana wrote:2nd game :

-Pacman (lol)
-with every level, the map and the "fruit" changed
-besides the usual fruits (cherry, strawberry, orange...), there also was burger, chips and coke
-higher levels had teleporters

I have a pac man cd-rom that contains about 30 pac man games, maybe I could find it for you this weekend.
Can you provide some more info, like if it was on windows or on dos?
The template works best for that.

Deva

Postby Deva » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:53 pm UTC

Mentioned that later.

pncdj

Postby pncdj » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:16 am UTC

Background: it's a kids' game about escaping a castle. the title has something to do with the word "Lexicon" - Lexicon Dungeon or Lexicon Castle or something like that; not sure if it was a different spelling, and i've tried a lot of different possible words with no results
System: PC. DOS?
Year: played in the early 90s
Perspective: i think it was a first-person view of different static environments, sort of like Castle of Dr. Brain
Art style: dark and gloomy; graphics maybe looked painted? can't say for sure
Environment: walking around a dungeon guided by some kind of creature; i think it was some kind of green troll with glasses or something similar
Mood: a little creepy
Genre: educational
Gameplay: i think you solved word puzzles?

thanks for any help!

Deva

Postby Deva » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:11 pm UTC

- Lexi-Cross? (Mostly for the name, release date, and word puzzles. Misses theme. Probably ruled this out already.)
- Mind Castle? (Turned you into a frog.)
- I.M. Meen? (Probably would have remembered the Doom gameplay. Released it late too. Fits the dark theme and (non-green) sidekick with word puzzles part, however.)

pncdj

Postby pncdj » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:18 am UTC

it's not those, but thanks! Mind Castle seems like the closest, but mine had more of the dark IM Meen aesthetic and i'm pretty sure of the "lexicon" thing

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:11 pm UTC

Grop

Postby Grop » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:25 pm UTC

Nice name!

bobby_tables

Postby bobby_tables » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:04 pm UTC

* Background: A game that I remember playing but never finishing when I was a kid. I've had no luck identifying it via Google searches.
* System: PC, probably DOS although possibly Win3 or Win95
* Year: early to mid 90s
* Perspective: Primarily 2D side scroller
* Art style: I think it was sprite-based. The art also reminded me a lot of Zelda. Kind of anime-like and/or Japanese for the main character.
* Environment: The majority of the game took place underground in caves or caverns that were generally tiered like a typical platform side scroller. As I recall, after finishing a level, you'd go back to the surface for some cut scenes to advance the story and to possibly buy better weapons, etc.
* Mood: The mood reminded me a lot of the early Zelda games -- very quest-like with lots of monsters, obstacles, and some puzzles to solve. The mood of the story, as best as I can remember it, reminded me of Sierra's King's Quest games, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Sierra game as I've gone through their game catalog and not seen anything that looks like this.
* Genre: RPG action side scroller, some platform elements
* Gameplay: As mentioned above, the bulk of the story took place in cut scenes that happened above ground, but the bulk of the gameplay took place underground in some sort of either caverns or caves. I remember the main character being very similar to Link, elf-like with an upgradable sword as his main weapon. I think he had some magic capabilities, but I remember less about that. You'd encounter various creatures underground and have to find artifacts to progress to new levels. I remember the levels as caves with progressively deeper passages that were layed out in side-scrolling platform style. It's possible that it was an import of a foreign game, but if so, it had been translated to English.

Deva

Postby Deva » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:06 am UTC

Quick guess before sleep: Zeliard?

bobby_tables

Postby bobby_tables » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:39 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Quick guess before sleep: Zeliard?

That's it, thanks! I don't know how you come up with all of these so quick. It turns out it was distributed by Sierra but I think I missed that because the cover graphics were so different from what I remembered of the gameplay graphics.

Return to “Gaming”