Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

oscar_spider

Re: Minecraft

Postby oscar_spider » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:06 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Consider the Bureaus to be in early alpha testing currently.

I have spent some time looking for the one that is probably findable. Still more potential locations I haven't checked out yet. While checking out one promising area a skeleton knocked me off a long drop and finished me off.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:18 am UTC

I'd be willing to replace anything you've lost while alpha testing. Also, if you wouldn't mind, could you PM me about where you've been looking?
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:11 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:I'd be willing to replace anything you've lost while alpha testing. Also, if you wouldn't mind, could you PM me about where you've been looking?

I appreciate the offer but I didn't lose anything - I got it all back. I wasn't using my best gear anyway, not even decent gear, just my standard un-enchanted Iron armor & sword, and very good, but replaceable, bow & pick. The only thing really at risk was a couple Shulker boxes. [Edit: Yes, I have chests full of really good replaceable diamond gear from villagers, but I don't use it. I do have some made sets I use for certain purposes, but this searching didn't warrant using any of them.]

I will PM you tomorrow after I have time to write something up.
Last edited by oscar_spider on Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:04 am UTC

oscar_spider wrote:I use the Brick Joke extensively, but the Golf Club is not much use. Last I knew the method to obtain them was broken. When it was working I got numerous of each despite the cost.

I gather there are several of these on the server? I found these two at Taily's place west of Plains City. I also vaguely recall that I once played Spleef with someone and a version of the Golf Club was added to the mix, but that's nothing but vague memory by now.

Edit: Found another Golf Club in the Bloop, left it there for anyone who wants it.
Edit2: Correction, two Golf Clubs. We should start a golf course.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:05 pm UTC

In a minute an hour and a half I'll be hosting a server at minecraft.flumble.nl running 1.13.1. It's a copy of last week's backup to see what's broken and whether the server crashes and burns. (no merging back to the xkcd server!)

I've found command blocks in the following areas*:
Spoiler:
(-38496, -480), (-37024, -96), (-16480, -8608), (-16416, -7776), (-16416, -7712), (-16544, -7584), (-16224, -8608), (-15520, -8608), (-15584, -8544), (-15584, -8480), (-15520, -8480), (-15520, -8480), (-14816, -8544), (-6880, -8992), (-6752, -8800), (-6432, -9056), (-6624, -8736), (-7008, -8608), (-7008, -8608), (-6944, -8288), (-6944, -8224), (-6688, -8352), (-6688, -8352), (-6176, -8672), (-6176, -8608), (-6368, -8416), (-16288, -7776), (-16288, -7712), (-16224, -7776), (-16224, -7776), (-16224, -7776), (-16160, -7712), (-15648, -7968), (-16224, -7648), (-16224, -7648), (-16160, -7648), (-16224, -7584), (-16032, -7008), (-15008, -6304), (-14944, -6304), (-14880, -6304), (-15008, -5600), (-9696, -8160), (-9696, -8160), (-9248, -2208), (-3104, -7584), (-5984, -2528), (-5984, -2528), (-5152, -1632), (-5152, -1632), (224, -3040), (992, -32), (-224, 96), (-160, 96), (-96, 96), (-544, 864), (-7520, 6560), (96, 352), (736, 32), (14752, 32), (14752, 32)

I'm still in the process of writing something to iterate over the whole world to list command blocks (and their command). My last attempt ended in a read error after running overnight. :roll:

*that is, at least 1 command block at most 64 blocks away from each point, because I did the hacky thing of just rendering a map with only command blocks and checking which map tiles weren't empty.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:16 pm UTC

Oh yea, I've got a Brick Joke and Golf Club too, I think I got them back when we did a game day on the server. Never realized there was another way to obtain them, I assume it has something to do with that command block next to an anvil in Plains City? I always wondered what that was for.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:44 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Oh yea, I've got a Brick Joke and Golf Club too, I think I got them back when we did a game day on the server. Never realized there was another way to obtain them, I assume it has something to do with that command block next to an anvil in Plains City? I always wondered what that was for.

There is a command block that summons a villager that offers them as a trade. Not next to an anvil, but it is in an indoor location I frequent for other purposes.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:59 am UTC

Flumble wrote:In a minute an hour and a half I'll be hosting a server at minecraft.flumble.nl running 1.13.1. It's a copy of last week's backup to see what's broken and whether the server crashes and burns. (no merging back to the xkcd server!)

I added a server to the launcher list for "minecraft.flumble.nl" and "minecraft.flumble.nl:25565" but neither locates a server. Is it running on a different port or is it not up?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:32 am UTC

Unfortunately, I just discovered it broke down somewhen this evening (see also my ranting in General), so it'll take a bit before it's back up.
Approximately 2 hours from now, since I did the whole world conversion in memory and hadn't written it back to a disk yet. :roll:

[edit]
Good news, everyone! It seems like no command blocks need updating (apart from some memeish stuff, which, if broken, should be fixed only when asked). I've included them all on the map for anyone else to check. Do be careful with viewing them, since it may ruin a discovery or (brick) joke or two. Next, I'll try and fix the duplicate mob UUIDs that plague the server.
Also, (yes I skimmed through the game chat :twisted: ) I'm pretty sure the primary reason everything feels so smooth right now, is because it's running on an overpowered machine.

I've recently played on a server where you could get a "totem pole" (basically a special helmet on an armour stand; but it can be anything) that removes all hostile mobs in its area. Would it be a nice idea to implement this on the server to protect our cities (and whatever else needs protection)?

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:39 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Good news, everyone! It seems like no command blocks need updating (apart from some memeish stuff, which, if broken, should be fixed only when asked).

"memeish"?? Meme-related??

Flumble wrote:I've included them all on the map for anyone else to check. Do be careful with viewing them, since it may ruin a discovery or (brick) joke or two.

They don't appear to be on the map.

Flumble wrote:Next, I'll try and fix the duplicate mob UUIDs that plague the server.

In case it is relevant and helps, I found this:
https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-95649?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel&showAll=true

Flumble wrote:I've recently played on a server where you could get a "totem pole" (basically a special helmet on an armour stand; but it can be anything) that removes all hostile mobs in its area. Would it be a nice idea to implement this on the server to protect our cities (and whatever else needs protection)?

If implemented I think the only thing that should be protected against is Creepers. I would never use one, but I understand those who might want it.

What I would like to see is the Sheep Tower put back in Plains City - just the building without sheep. I miss it. I don't know who built it but the building should have stayed.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:15 am UTC

Ugh, for some reason the test server decided to listen on a weird port. Now it's back to the default (25565). (How did you guys join before? Did it listen on the right port before or did you try out different ports?)

oscar_spider wrote:"memeish"?? Meme-related??

I (ab)use that word for anything that's intended humourous/relatable. In this case, things like the special villager (which I fixed out of curiosity), police force and the weather machine.
Contrary to my earlier belief, the majority-sleep function ought to work up to 1.12 and breaks with 1.13. I made something that looks like a solution, but I'll need a victim(s) soon to test whether it is, in fact, a solution.

oscar_spider wrote:They don't appear to be on the map.

They're hidden by default, but on most browsers you'll see controls on the right that you can click to toggle the markers.

Thanks, the MCEdit filter linked in there may come in very handy.

oscar_spider wrote:What I would like to see is the Sheep Tower put back in Plains City - just the building without sheep. I miss it. I don't know who built it but the building should have stayed.

I thought of looking it up on the old map (assuming it was there), but that needs some revamping now that the google maps api is invalid/expired/deprecated. Are you sure sheep tower is gone and not just in another spot than where you thought it'd be?
Also, one of the chunks at Spawn has gone missing (for at least 3 months now), leaving a gap in the bridge to the airport.

On another note: the Flying Dutchman's hull (and other ships that use stairs underwater) can now be waterlogged. And there are Drowned wandering on the Green.

Lastly, I may be blaspheming here, but I wouldn't mind removing the ocean chunks in the 'bay' north of Whittington. The new ocean is much cooler and one of Whittington's goals was to have modern™ minecraft.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:00 am UTC

Flumble wrote:Ugh, for some reason the test server decided to listen on a weird port. Now it's back to the default (25565). (How did you guys join before? Did it listen on the right port before or did you try out different ports?)

When the standard port didn't work I reviewed the main XKCD server links I have and the alternate DNS name used port 25555 - so I tried that.

Flumble wrote:They're hidden by default, but on most browsers you'll see controls on the right that you can click to toggle the markers.

Hmmm...I'm using Firefox and they're not there. Oh well.

Flumble wrote:
oscar_spider wrote:What I would like to see is the Sheep Tower put back in Plains City - just the building without sheep. I miss it. I don't know who built it but the building should have stayed.

I thought of looking it up on the old map (assuming it was there), but that needs some revamping now that the google maps api is invalid/expired/deprecated. Are you sure sheep tower is gone and not just in another spot than where you thought it'd be?

Here is a portion of a screen shot I took a long time ago that shows the sheep tower - in that same location now are command blocks that summon sheep. Blech!

plains-city-extract.jpg
plains-city-extract.jpg (26.4 KiB) Viewed 3943 times

Flumble wrote:On another note: the Flying Dutchman's hull (and other ships that use stairs underwater) can now be waterlogged. And there are Drowned wandering on the Green.

I will go check both out. For the Green I will probably put up fences like are on the other 3 sides.
[Edit: I checked on the waterlogged stairs in the hull. The inside is dry so it being waterlogged is a non-issue.]

Flumble wrote:Lastly, I may be blaspheming here, but I wouldn't mind removing the ocean chunks in the 'bay' north of Whittington. The new ocean is much cooler and one of Whittington's goals was to have modern™ minecraft.

On the map it looks like the ocean will continue to the north into new chunks. That should be good, won't it?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:10 am UTC

oscar_spider wrote:
Flumble wrote:They're hidden by default, but on most browsers you'll see controls on the right that you can click to toggle the markers.

Hmmm...I'm using Firefox and they're not there. Oh well.

Me too and they're there. :D I guess firefox doesn't feel like checking whether the scripts have changed —you can try to persuade it with Ctrl+Shift+R (or disabling the cache in the developer tools). This will now give you the old map render too.

Ah, yes, the sheep tower is definitely a building you can't miss. Well, I mean, you are missing it, but you couldn't miss it if it were there. In both senses.
One can rebuild it from the "blueprint" though.

oscar_spider wrote:On the map it looks like the ocean will continue to the north into new chunks. That should be good, won't it?

I just found out that it doesn't go any further than y=-1500. And it generates land on the borders (west and east) with the current ocean, so removing those chunks won't help a bit.
However, another 2 kilometres north there's one beautiful ocean that ought to be linked to Whittington via airship ...or icebreaker. :D

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:48 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Ugh, for some reason the test server decided to listen on a weird port. Now it's back to the default (25565). (How did you guys join before? Did it listen on the right port before or did you try out different ports?)

So, if you are using the server.properties from the live server, it uses 25555 because I have multiple servers running on that host. I use a srv record to make it easier for everyone to connect without having to remember the port.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:20 pm UTC

*two weeks later*
So, does everything seem alright for an upgrade to 1.13.x?

_infina_ wrote:So, if you are using the server.properties from the live server, it uses 25555 because I have multiple servers running on that host. I use a srv record to make it easier for everyone to connect without having to remember the port.

That explains a lot. :)

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:19 pm UTC

Seems good to me, haven't found any problems on the test server or in my own single player experimentation .
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:39 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:*two weeks later*
So, does everything seem alright for an upgrade to 1.13.x?

Yes. No issues here either. When were you planning on doing it?

Are you planning on taking care of the duplicate mob UUIDs before/after/during the upgrade?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:46 pm UTC

oscar_spider wrote:When were you planning on doing it?

If no one's planning on playing in the next 4 hours, I'll start right now. :)

oscar_spider wrote:Are you planning on taking care of the duplicate mob UUIDs before/after/during the upgrade?

I'll take some more time to find out which mobs are duplicated, where and whether they're carrying different stuff. (and preferably be able to run it on the server, so I don't have to do a backup-to-master sync which I'll inevitably accidentally trigger again in the future :oops: )

[edit] Sorry for breaking the AvP server there. I thought it was a stray xkcraftia instance because the run commands were the same. :oops:
[edit 2]ETA for the map conversion: around 20:45 UTC.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:08 am UTC

I'd like to put in a request to either remove or modify the sleep voting thing. I wanted to set my spawn point before doing some night activities and it makes it instantly day with no chance to leave the bed without passing the night. Outright removal would be best. If not, at least maybe make it so there need to be at least 3 people on the server. I've always accommodated others by disconnecting while they sleep if they wanted day rather than reset my spawn point - and that works well. We rarely have enough people on to need the sleep voting be a thing anyway.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:53 pm UTC

My bad, I hadn't realised that there's no delay on the sleep machine. I'll just turn it off for the moment. If we ever get to 4 concurrent players again, I'll insert a (resettable) delay that takes slightly longer than falling asleep.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:06 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:If no one's planning on playing in the next 4 hours, I'll start right now. :)

I'm getting lots of forced disconnects by the server. Any reason you can see why? I'm just accessing my chests and trying to do some enchanting. It is raining.

Edit: After it stopped raining it got better.
Edit 2: Was fine for a little bit, now I'm getting them again. It's not raining.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:41 pm UTC

I tried playing a bit last night and it was very choppy, lots of rubber-banding, etc.
It was fine the other day after the update though.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:10 pm UTC

Mordor Questing Reveal

My Mordor Questing feature has progressed far enough that players are
welcome to come and play!

"What is Mordor Questing" you ask? Put simply, it is a variety of
fun and challenging adventures in Ganalef's Mordor. For those who
don't know, Mordor is a 1200x1200 roofed area of perpetual darkness
where mobs run rampant over a desolate landscape.

Mordor itself is open to everyone, with the guidelines from Ganalef
being: "There are no rules for exploring Mordor except, well, please
don't leave behind torches, food, grass, trees, or otherwise ruin the
aesthetic. If the idea is to explore for the challenge, the challenge
level is up to the player." - Nov 2013

Mordor Questing creates activities with different goals and challenge
levels. Everything players use is provided by the Mordor Questing
system, so there is no risk to a player's valuable equipment.

Signs on-site provide instructions. Written books are also available
with more help and detail than signs can accommodate.

Mordor Questing has several Quest Modes to choose from, 3 of which
are ready to play:
Spoiler:
1) "I want to be a Hobbit". Players get character class specific gear,
then choose Lord of the Rings themed missions and attempt to complete them.
Playing in a group is encouraged, but not required. Several missions
are currently ready and more will be added. As an example, one mission
tasks players with travelling to Mount Doom to throw "The One Ring" into
lava.

2) "Progression". This is the classic idea of an adventurer clawing
their way up from humble beginnings. Players use a marketplace to buy
equipment, kill mobs, sell the loot, and buy better equipment.

3) "Complete the Monument". This idea is taken from custom built
worlds where the goal is to locate and bring back "trophies". (This is
one of the 2 Quest Modes still in the works. I will be building Trophy
Stations in Mordor from which the trophies are collected.)

4) "Scavenger Hunt". This is a free-form version of "Complete the
Monument" without the need for any customization of the world. The
items to collect are dropped by mobs or acquired by fishing.

5) "Steeple Chase". Race on horseback through Mordor. Keep yourself
and your horse alive while traversing courses that can be flexibly
designated. (This is the other Quest Mode that is still in the works
and will probably be the next one implemented.)

To get started you have to first get to Fiddler's Green in the
center of Mordor.
https://xkcd.flumble.nl/map/#overworld/0/10/576/-3200/64

Here are 3 routes to get to the Green:
Spoiler:
1) Use the Harbor Transportation system to travel by ship and arrive
at the Flying Dutchman which is sailing in Mordor just off the coast of
the Green.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=42156&start=9080#p4106393
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=42156&start=9280#p4256818

2) Use the Nether Trolley. From the cellar of the main spawn
building https://xkcd.flumble.nl/map/#overworld/0/14/-70/19/64
enter the Nether, go to the nearby rail hub and take the line
to Fiddler's Green, at the end of the rail line another portal takes you
back to the overworld underground. After a short walk you arrive at The
Outpost in Mordor -- along this leg of the trip are journal entries
written by an ancient author (Roosevelt) that set the mood of Mordor. I
recommend taking this route at least once just for that. The Outpost is
located west of the Green, so head east through Mordor.

3) You can also travel overland and "simply walk into Mordor".

Once on the Green go into the Tavern cellar, from which stairs
provide access down to the Mordor Questing start area.

The entry stairs, hallway, and foyer serve the purposes of an
introduction and overview of Questing, taking care of the preliminaries,
and housekeeping. There are lots of signs with instructions and some
written books to provide more in-depth help and information:
  • Questing Theory
  • Questing FAQ
  • Market Economy
  • Market Tutorial
Some Quest Modes have a learning curve, so take your time.
Spoiler:
Entry stairs:
2018-09-30_20.11.15.png
Entry stairs - top 3 signs only

2018-09-30_20.31.00.png
Entry stairs - bottom - Iron door into entry hallway

Entry Hallway (reverse view):
2018-10-06_10.58.20.png
Reverse look at entry hallway

Foyer:
2018-09-30_20.32.26.png
Entry Foyer

2018-09-30_20.34.04.png
XP Donation room and Foyer exit leading to the Map Room

Leaving the Foyer:
2018-09-30_20.06.01.png
Entrances to Quest Farm, IWBH, Progression, & Map Room

The main chamber is the Map Room whose floor is a scale map of Mordor
labeled with points of interest.
Spoiler:
Map Room:
2018-09-30_19.59.55.png
Map Room

Surrounding the Map Room are Quest Rooms dedicated to each of the
Quest Modes. These contain instructions and supplies specific to that
mode of Questing.
Spoiler:
Progression:
2018-09-30_20.08.32.png
Progression room

I want to be a Hobbit:
2018-09-30_20.01.33.png
IWBH room

Scavenger Hunt:
2018-09-30_20.27.38.png
SH room

Complete the Monument (not yet ready):
2018-09-30_20.29.03.png
CTM room

A small farm can provide minor restocking of some supplies. Major
restocking can be done from industrial scale farms that exist throughout
the server. Some Quest activities may also generate supplies.

I am happy to answer questions here or in private messages.

Feedback is welcome to help improve any aspect of Mordor Questing.

It's been a long time in the making with more planned.

Much time and effort has been expended in designing, planning, and
implementing the Quest Modes. Please enjoy them and embrace the spirit
they were created in.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:56 pm UTC

So, I took the plane/teleporter from the USS Nimitz to spawn, and when I got there, the airport was gone, along with a big swath of spawn.
https://i.imgur.com/tLBdNqe.png
Looks like everything southwest of the spawn tower got wiped and regenerated. This includes the airport and spawn airship.

Ping _infina_ & Flumble
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:14 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:So, I took the plane/teleporter from the USS Nimitz to spawn, and when I got there, the airport was gone, along with a big swath of spawn.
https://i.imgur.com/tLBdNqe.png
Looks like everything southwest of the spawn tower got wiped and regenerated. This includes the airport and spawn airship.

Ping _infina_ & Flumble

Wow - that looks bad. Makes me shudder at what other places might be gone.

I don't know when the map was last updated, but it shows that at that time there was one errant chunk regenerated sometime that wiped out the center of the bridge: https://xkcd.flumble.nl/map/#overworld/0/14/-60/127/64

Might be prudent to generate a new map to see server wide to help identify other chunks that have been wiped out. Is there a backup far enough back that old chunks could be recovered?

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:57 am UTC

• Re: Server troubles. Can confirm there's a big rectangle of old chunk data missing starting just by spawn. A while back I offered to help with hosting and administrating, but to my shame have to admit that I never followed up on that. Are there opportunities right now?
  • Re: Grand Tour update. I'm not done exploring and since the last update I've found more locations, like Enderbane Lodge, a certain secret room, two more bombing ranges, the Plains City sewers, etc. But it's not quite enough for a new update. If anyone knows any significant (or just mildly interesting) location I haven't covered yet, I'm glad for any directions you can give me.
  • Re: Mordor Questing. It's fun! I've only tried one quest so far and not very successfully, but it's a great idea and an awesome execution. Can't think of anything to improve the user experience.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:58 pm UTC

I promise I'll look into the performance logs (and send them to oscar_spider) and those old chunks upcoming week.
I fear that the middle of the bridge is lost (the map is normally generated from the most recent one backup) for good, but the rest of the area should still be in the backup. How could that whole area have corrupted though? I mean, corrupted even more than how the map tools have been struggling with it for years?

Oh and raudorn, do you have coordinates of the PoIs and transport nodes you've visited? I can now quite easily add markers to the map. Transport lines may be a hassle (and route planning is a no), but a marker can at least have a pop-up text with pictures and links.

The only way I could see Mordor Questing improve slightly is using command blocks to switch out your gear and keep score and whatnot, but that's "improve" in a very specific sense. As it stands, Mordor is all about which rules you want to abide and building Mordor as a survival player (although there are a few spawn eggs involved IIRC).

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:00 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Oh and raudorn, do you have coordinates of the PoIs and transport nodes you've visited? I can now quite easily add markers to the map. Transport lines may be a hassle (and route planning is a no), but a marker can at least have a pop-up text with pictures and links.

I did some of that early for the transport map (e.g. see here), but haven't kept up and the placement is a bit unclear for large structures. However given some kind of map tool I could probably find and place a marker on all locations I've visited in the Overworld.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:39 pm UTC

raudorn wrote:
  • Re: Mordor Questing. It's fun! I've only tried one quest so far and not very successfully, but it's a great idea and an awesome execution. Can't think of anything to improve the user experience.

I'm glad you're having fun! Mordor is an awesome place to explore and have adventures. It would be nice to get a few people on at the same time and Quest as a team.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:03 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:I promise I'll look into the performance logs (and send them to oscar_spider) and those old chunks upcoming week.

After you send them I will see what I can find in them.

Flumble wrote:I fear that the middle of the bridge is lost

Zephyr mentioned an old backup from when the server changed hosts. If anyone has that (ST?) maybe you can get the bridge chunk from it?

Any chance for a new map as a temporary aid to checking for lost chunks across the server? Even if only you see it it would be a warm fuzzy that there is nothing else egregious out there.

Flumble wrote:The only way I could see Mordor Questing improve slightly is using command blocks to switch out your gear and keep score and whatnot, but that's "improve" in a very specific sense.

Not a fan of command blocks other than in the Transport systems.

I understand the comment about switching back and forth between standard and Mordor gear, but I am curious for more detail about the other parts you suggest could be improved. Perhaps I will have some ideas on improving them. There is still lots for me to do and figure out for the new things I have planned and the earlier I can include new ideas into the process the better the final product.

Flumble wrote:As it stands, Mordor is all about which rules you want to abide and building Mordor as a survival player

That is true to the extent that it does not conflict with what Ganalef does not want in Mordor.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:00 pm UTC

oscar_spider wrote:Any chance for a new map as a temporary aid to checking for lost chunks across the server? Even if only you see it it would be a warm fuzzy that there is nothing else egregious out there.

I'll try and see if the nightly build of mapcrafter has enough 1.13 support to draw a comparable map.

oscar_spider wrote:Not a fan of command blocks other than in the Transport systems.

I understand the comment about switching back and forth between standard and Mordor gear, but I am curious for more detail about the other parts you suggest could be improved. Perhaps I will have some ideas on improving them. There is still lots for me to do and figure out for the new things I have planned and the earlier I can include new ideas into the process the better the final product.

To be honest, all I know is that minecraft has a team and score system and you can store whatever NBT data you want in players and items. And with command blocks you can e.g. increment your Mordor Level if you press a button at a quest's end.

oscar_spider wrote:
Flumble wrote:As it stands, Mordor is all about which rules you want to abide and building Mordor as a survival player

That is true to the extent that it does not conflict with what Ganalef does not want in Mordor.

I mean you can be an asshole and not follow Ganalef's rules (although you may get banned or hilariously imprisoned by an admin if you do). :roll:

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:51 am UTC

raudorn wrote:
Flumble wrote:Oh and raudorn, do you have coordinates of the PoIs and transport nodes you've visited? I can now quite easily add markers to the map. Transport lines may be a hassle (and route planning is a no), but a marker can at least have a pop-up text with pictures and links.

I did some of that early for the transport map (e.g. see here), but haven't kept up and the placement is a bit unclear for large structures. However given some kind of map tool I could probably find and place a marker on all locations I've visited in the Overworld.

I should have a fairly comprehensive list of coordinates of airships and airports from from Journeymap. I'll have to transcribe it from the config though as journeymap doesn't have a 1.13 compatible version currently.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:34 am UTC

Flumble wrote:To be honest, all I know is that minecraft has a team and score system and you can store whatever NBT data you want in players and items. And with command blocks you can e.g. increment your Mordor Level if you press a button at a quest's end.

Ahh, I understand - that is how many custom maps are done. Thanks for clarifying what you were referring to.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:23 pm UTC

It appears that the server didn't go through the upgrade to 1.13 entirely unscathed. The rail tunnel from Plains City to the Bloop is flooded in parts. It's unclear why some of it was affected but not all. I also suspect similar things might have happened to other underwater tunnels elsewhere on the server. Something to look into. Anyway, I intend to fix it when I got some time.

Speaking of rails, I found a fairly big supply of rails (multiple double chests) at Carlo's Outpost. I will dip into that supply to fix the underwater rail and maybe build some new lines I had in mind for years now. I mean, we've always had enough resources to craft new rails, but why not use existing supplies first? Resource possesion on the server is a fluid concept anyway.
Attachments
2018-10-28_20.52.29.png

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:29 am UTC

raudorn wrote:It appears that the server didn't go through the upgrade to 1.13 entirely unscathed. The rail tunnel from Plains City to the Bloop is flooded in parts. It's unclear why some of it was affected but not all. I also suspect similar things might have happened to other underwater tunnels elsewhere on the server. Something to look into. Anyway, I intend to fix it when I got some time.

My thought is that is somehow related to the new water physics involving waterlogged blocks. Perhaps water was previously held back but 1.13 let something get waterlogged and flow past. If that is the case it should be easy to find the waterlogged block.

Where it that flooded section? Coordinates would be nice if you have them.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:31 am UTC

oscar_spider wrote:Where it that flooded section? Coordinates would be nice if you have them.

Taking the rails from Plains City Central, the first flooded section starts at -17011/-8099. I'm not sure how many flooded sections there are, because the tunnel has no entries along the way. I did already start on repairs, but the new water physics can screw this up so easily. You make one mistake and the entire section you just cleared is flooded again. Plus, having equipment geared for water would definitely help.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:10 pm UTC

It's the corners. I didn't think waterlogging was supposed to work this way, but if a waterloggable block has two adjacent water sources, it will become waterlogged. And waterlogged blocks count as sources, so once the outside corner becomes waterlogged, it cascades. Ran into that problem messing with bubblevators at the Arcology.

I would have thought you'd still need something to trigger a block update to cause the corner panes to become waterlogged though. I know they changed the mechanics of water sources and block updates, but I can't figure out how that would cause a failure in this case, but not in the remaining water-vators.

Edit: Oh yea, if you need water gear, I can hook you up with some Respiration 3+ Aqua Affinity and Depth Strider enchanted armor, and lend you some sponges
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:22 pm UTC

• The Bloop railway is now restored. Fortunately it was only one segment that was flooded and the reason became apparent during repairs: Due to the new waterlogging mechanic corners of glass pane windows, that are exposed to water on two orthogonal sides, will become waterlogged, which then propagates down the entire window. I've placed two pillars at the corner to prevent that. Unfortunately I only had dirt at hand, so if anyone wants to replace that with something else, please make sure not to accidentally flood the entire segment.
  • Water gear makes exploring underwater fun again! Even with the drab ol' oceans of pre-1.13 it's fun to zoom around and look at things.
  • I have enough new material for an update to the Grand Tour, so expect a new post soon...ish.
  • On the side I've begun skimming through this thread from the beginning in the hope of finding juicy archeological data. One thing I found is a rough date for the inception of the map. It's somewhere around December 2010/January 2011. The exact point is hard to pinpoint because around that time folks began to congegrate from different SP and MP maps towards a single shared map that was then eventually hosted by Rippy as others joined. So I hereby arbitrarily decide that January 15th 2011 is the official birthday of xkcraftia. That also makes Rippy's UFO building at Spawn the oldest building on the server.

Edit: Just saw the explanation was already posted. Yeah, that was the cause.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:12 pm UTC

raudorn wrote:One thing I found is a rough date for the inception of the map. It's somewhere around December 2010/January 2011. The exact point is hard to pinpoint because around that time folks began to congegrate from different SP and MP maps towards a single shared map that was then eventually hosted by Rippy as others joined. So I hereby arbitrarily decide that January 15th 2011 is the official birthday of xkcraftia. That also makes Rippy's UFO building at Spawn the oldest building on the server.

Older than that cobble castle near old spawn? Does anyone know who made that one?
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:49 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:Older than that cobble castle near old spawn? Does anyone know who made that one?

There are two that I think fit this description: What is now know a Castle Clavey (formerly Narnia) and what is now known as Northern New Pigsyville (formerly Castle ???). I think Castle Clavey was started by __infina__ Jahoclave soon but some days after than the first other buildings. The other castle is also from that early era. I don't have hard evidence that Rippy's UFO building is older, but seeing as the map was hosted by Rippy and presumably started as a SP map, I think it's likely. Or do you mean a different one entirely? There's also Castle Impenetrable reasonably near Spawn.
Last edited by raudorn on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gaming”