D&D 4th Edition [and other..oh, who are we kidding. 4th Ed!]

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: D&D 4th Edition [and other Gen-Con news]

Postby Zyphlin » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
And when I run games there'll be a lot of "Yeah, your chick dragonborn doesn't have boobies. sorry."

Yeah, exactly.

Also "is it male or female?" "Does your character know a lot of dragonborn?" "No...." "Then fucked if you know."

My first online game of 4ed (use it mofos!) that I run with you in it I'm seriously going to have a kabal of dragonborn females with boobs like Image for no apparent reason.

Yes, you'll search me out in NOVA and stab me fiercly a few dozen times, but I shall be laughing joyfully all through it so it will be well worth it.

That said, yeah, they didn't just nuke the realms but turned the Triad into an episode of Maury Povich. Seriously, has anyone posted all the things that happened with the gods? Cause if not, i'll post it. This threads just too damn long to look all through though.

Also, Shar FTW.
[Insert Catchphrase Here]
Zyphlin

Postby Belial » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:16 pm UTC

Hahah, no, no one's posted the great deific soap opera. Feel free.

Also, nice to see you materialize on the boards.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Zyphlin » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:27 pm UTC

To sum up the Triad's little Maury episode:

Siamorphe and Tyr bicker over meaningless things causing Siamorphe to pack up and run to her girlfriend Sune's home, leaving Tyr's place. Sune then feeling guilty suggests hookin Tyr up with Tymora, which Helm then Chaperones and facilitates. However Tymora falls for her chaperone causing Tyr to get all pissy and challenge Helm to battle and slays him, causing a heart broken Tymora to go back home with her new man.

let me go see if I can find the actual quoted information...I think there's two different sources I've seen
Zyphlin

Postby Zyphlin » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:30 pm UTC

Here's a few things apparently out of the Grand History of the Realms book. the poster just kind of hand picked things relating heavily to deity changes or Myth Drannor:
1375 Year of the Risen Elfkin - Vhaeraun is slain by Eilistraee. Selvetarm is slain by a Darksong Knight of Eilistraee. The church of Vhaeraun is absorbed by the church of Eilistraee and the church of Selvetarm is absorbed by the church of Lolth.

1376 Year if the Bent Blade - Zhentarim withdraws from MD due to their drow allies falling apart due to Vhaeraun's fall. Black Network is given permission by the elves to openly use Moonsea Ride and Rauthauvyr's Road.

1377 Year of the Haunting - Srinshee returns to MD and offers Ilsevele Miritar the Ruler's Blade, Ilsevele then becomes the coronal.
Kiaransalee is slain by Q'arlynd Melarn.

1379 Year of the Lost Keep - Lolth attempts to destroy Ghaunadaur but he proves to be stronger and more ancient than she expected and flees the Demonweb Pits for Deep Caverns.

1380 Year of the Blazing Hand - High Mage Araevin Teshurr completes restoration of Myth Drannor's Mythal.

1383 Year of the Vindicated Warrior - Moradin leads assembled hosts of Dwarfhome on a crusade against Hammergrim. Gorm Gulthyn and Haela Brightaxe perish. Moradin slays Laduger and Clangeddin slays Deep Duerra. Hammergrim is destroyed.

1384 Year of the Three Streams Blooded - Siamorphe and Tyr quarrel over mortal affairs. Siamorphe leaves the House of Triad for Brightwater Sune's domain. Sune suggests marriage between Tyr and Tymora to set the celestial planes back in balance. Helm chaperones the courtship of Tyr and Tymora. Strange misunderstandings lead to the accusation that Helm's stolen Tymora's heart. Tyr is forced to challenge Helm to combat, before either are able to return to their senses Helm is destroyed. Heartbroken Tymora follows Tyr back to the House of the Triad. Although they have no proof the gods believe Cyric had his hand in all of this.

1385 The Year of the Blue Fire - Cyric aided and abetted by Shar murders Mystra in Dweomerheart. The plane disintegrates killing Savras and sending Azuth and Velsharoon hurling deep into the endless Astral Plane. Without Mystra to govern the Weave magic goes wild and destructive. This event is known as the Spellplague. Thousands upon thousands of mages throughout Faerun are either driven insane or killed by the effects of this. Many planes are shifted or destroyed.
Tyr, Lathander, and Sune confront Cyric and imprison him in his Supreme Throne placing him under house arrest for 1000 years.
Sages in centuries to come mark this as the end of the old world and the terrifying beginning of the new.

And here's the Shar related info:
A few of the hundreds of notes on what the future of Faerun holds in the last few pages of the Realms history compilation Grand History of the Realms.

SHAR WINS

Eleasias 20 - Shadovar agents recover The Leaves of One Night, a Sharran text that could be used to summon the Shadowstorm, an apocalyptic event that could raise Shar above the other gods.

Through the work of the Shadovar and Church of Shar, the entirety of the Anauroch desert becomes a dead magic zone for the Weave, allowing only Shadow Weave spells and magical items to function within its boundaries. Plans were made for this to happen to all of Faerun but they were distrupted by adventurers.

Sunlord Daelegoth Orndeir of Lathander is excommunicated and later begins recreating the Church of Amaunator after using epic magic to create a second sun over the city of Eversult that never sets.

Elient 13 - Adventurers who revealed a false temple to Mystra return with some kidnapped spellcasters. In their posession that have an unfinished letter purportedly discovered in the Plane of Shadow. This letter alludes to the Book of the Black, a secret of the Sharrans, and includes a scrap of paper with an alternative roll of years known to Sharrans as the Black Chronology. The significance of this discovery goes largely unnoted even as the Sharrans muster their resources to fulfill the events prophesized in the Book of the Black.

Uktar 2 - From three hundred fathoms beneath the Sea of Fallen Stars, the lost Netherese enclave of Sakkors is raised by the Shades to once again fly free over Faerun. The Empire of Netheril is reborn.

Uktar 11 - In response to the growing threat of civil war throughout Sembia, Selgaunt forms a military alliance and trade pact with the Netherese.

Uktar 11 - An immense kraken under the control of a Prince of Shade attacks the harbor and dock ward of Yhaunn in Sembia.

Uktar 29 - Saerloon's army, using teleportation circles, materializes outside Selgaunt.

Uktar 30 - The Battle fof Selgaunt begins and ends. The Saerloonian forces, bolstered by the green dragon Vendemniharan and summoned elementals, breach Selgaunt's walls. However, Selgaunt's forces repel the Saerloonians with the aid of two Princes of Shade--Rivalen and Brennus--and the timely appearance of the newly raised, floating Shadovar city of Sakkors. All elements of the Saerloonian army are destroyed of captured.

Feast of the Moon - Khelben 'Blackstaff Arunsun dies creating the Rhymanthiin, the City of Hope, in the High Moor.

Nightal 1 - Elyril Hraven, pristess of Shar, completes a ritual set forth in the empty spaces within the Leaves of One Night and summons the Shadowstorm. A planar rift is torn open over Ordulin in Sembia, and that portion of the Plane of Shadow known as the Adumbral Calyx pours forth. Ordulin is destroyed in the cataclysm, and the bulk of its denizens are killed. Volumvax the Divine One, also known as Kesson Rel the First Chosen of Mask, now a quasi-deity in service to Shar, emerges from the rift amid an army of shadows and shadow giants. Volumvax raises Ordulin's dead as shadows to bolster his own army.

Nightal 15 - Sharran assassins infiltrate the village of Shadowdale and attack Elminster's Tower. After a fierce battle, Elminster vanishes and his tower is blasted into ruin and hurled into the planes.

Several Zulkirs are killed in Thay from infighting.

Eleint 30 - Halaster Blackcloack and Undermountain are destoyed in a massive catstrophe as a great ritual planned by the Mad Mage goes wrong. Thousands of mages and adventurers receive strange visions.

Nightal 20 - Lolth and Elistraee do battle with the fate of the drow hanging in the balance. Selvetarm, Chamion of Lolth, is slain by a Darksong Knight in service to Elistraee using an artifact known as the Crescent Blade. Vhaerun attempts to assassinate Elistraee but is killed by his sister. The Church of Selvetarm is absorbed into the Church of Lolth and the Church of Vhaerun is absorbed into the Church of Elistraee.

Kiaransalee, drow godess of necomancy and undeath, fades from existence.

A Netherese spy is caught in Suzail and publicly hanged. This event touches off a short-lived conflaguration of hostilities with the Shadovars, which comes to be called the four Day War.

The last bit of resistance falls, and Mulhorrand's conquest of Unther is complete.

The restoration of Myth Drannor's mythal is complete.

Moradin leads the assembled deities of Dwarfhome on a crusade against the dark powers of Hammergrim. Gorm Gulthyn and Haela Brightaxe perish in the battle, but Moradin destroys Laduguer, and Clangeddin slays Deep Duerra. The Plane of Hammergrim disperses into the Astral to the sounds of the dwarf gods' victorious battle hyms.

The War of Gold and Gloom comes to an end when both the dwarves and the duergar are set upon by an illithid attack seeking to take advantage of the chaos. The mind flayers are repulsed and the surviving duergar are offered a place within the ranks of the dwarves.

To make a long story short, Tyr slays Helm due to a massive misunderstanding and intrigue amongst the dieties of the Triad. Though nothing can be proved, the gods sense the hands of Cyric in Helm's death. Ilmater leaves the domain of the Triad for Sune's halls.

This is the last year prophesized in Shar's Black Chronology, which stretches from 1352 to 1385 DR.

Unthinkable catastrophe unsues when Cyric, aided and abetted by Shar, murders Mystra in her home plane of Dweomerheart. The plane itself disintegrates at once, destroying Savras and sending Azuth and Velsharoon reeling into the endless Astral Plane. Without Mystra to govern the Weave, magic bursts its bonds all across Faerun and the surrounding planes and runs wild. In Faerun, this event is known as the Spellplague. Thousands of mages are driven insane or destroyed, and the very substance of the world becomes mutable beneath veils of azure fire that dance across the skies by ngiht or by day.

Many planes are shifted or destroyed as well. Only greater deities prove strong enough to maintain their realm against the resultant chaos. Tyr, Lathander, and Sune move against Cyric and successfully imprison the Black Hand in his Supreme Throne, under a sentence of house arrest to last one thousand years.

Sages in century to come mark the Weave's destruction in the Year of Blue Fire (the Year of the Revelation according to the Black Chronology) as the end of the old world, and the terrible beginning of the new.
Zyphlin

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:59 am UTC

Well, yeah, but that's Forgotten Realms

So who cares?

*gets killed by rabid FR fanboys and fangirls and fanbois and fangrrlz and fanunspecifiedgenderbutgosharetheyangryz.*
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Nyarlathotep » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:06 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Well, yeah, but that's Forgotten Realms

So who cares?

*gets killed by rabid FR fanboys and fangirls and fanbois and fangrrlz and fanunspecifiedgenderbutgosharetheyangryz.*

I don't care either :D
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.
Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Belial » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:22 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Well, yeah, but that's Forgotten Realms

So who cares?

Enough people that it got continued and planescape didn't?
Belial

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:23 am UTC

You cut me deep.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Belial » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

It looks like they're using the big upheaval to cut out some of the big "obvious earth analog" nations in the FR, which I find irritating, mostly because I really *liked* Mulhorand (egypt).

Mulhorand and Unther (Babylon) are apparently on the list of places hit hardest by the spellplague.

And Maztica (the americas) apparently just got a continent dropped on them.

I am displeased.
Belial

Postby Ansob. » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:28 pm UTC

I'd rather FR died an agonising death than continue in its usual "LOL MAGIC USARS LOL" form, so I'm quite content with this spellplague. As long as Rashemen continues to produce retarded rangers with Spelljammer MC entries, I'll be happy.

Either way, D&D needs more Eberron.

(Substitute "Eberron" for "city intrigue, wand-toting train robbers and halflings on dinosaurs," thereby not violating the prime principle of Eberron conversation, which is that all sentences mentioning the setting need to end in "and halflings on dinosaurs.")
Laughter is the natural human reaction to everything.
Ansob.

Location: Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom of Great Britain.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:44 am UTC

Ansob. wrote:I'd rather FR died an agonising death than continue in its usual "LOL MAGIC USARS LOL" form, so I'm quite content with this spellplague. As long as Rashemen continues to produce retarded rangers with Spelljammer MC entries, I'll be happy.

Either way, D&D needs more Eberron.

(Substitute "Eberron" for "city intrigue, wand-toting train robbers and halflings on dinosaurs," thereby not violating the prime principle of Eberron conversation, which is that all sentences mentioning the setting need to end in "and halflings on dinosaurs.")

The only thing scarier than utahraptors are angry barbarian halflings riding utahraptors.
Nyarlathotep

Postby Ansob. » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:21 pm UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:The only thing scarier than utahraptors are angry barbarian halflings riding utahraptors.

Only, by "scarier" you actually mean "more awesome," don't you?
Laughter is the natural human reaction to everything.
Ansob.

Location: Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom of Great Britain.

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:28 pm UTC

Only if the utahraptor is a warlock.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Belial » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:52 pm UTC

Or you've given it specially modified "Boots of Striding and Leaping"

"You were just pounced."

"By what?! There's nothing in sight! It's a flat plain!"

"It came from over the horizon."

"What?"

"Yeah. It has that much move speed and jump modifier."
Belial

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:48 pm UTC

That reminds me of the HalflinOrc Delivery Service.

See, you've got a couple thousand Half-Orc Barbarians standing 40 feet apart in a line from one city center to the next. Should you need to send a message to the other city, you merely write it down, pay the toll, and a halfling (Using a standard action) picks it up and (using a move action) moves 20 feet to the nearest Half-Orc.. who picks up the Halfling (standard action) and moves to the next half-orc (move action) who takes the halfling (standard action, unresisted to grab a carried item) and moves to the next half-orc..

So long as you don't run out of half-orcs, you can get a package from here to there in six seconds. Then the halfling delivers it.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:57 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Only if the utahraptor is a warlock.

If we're playing that game, it's scarier if the Utahraptor is actually a shape-shifted Druid with the Natural Spell feat. And rocking cheez like Miasma.

... wait, no, Miasma is the one spell I ban no matter what. Hmm.
Nyarlathotep

Postby Belial » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:01 pm UTC

The utahraptor makes a much scarier animal companion than he does a combat form. Just put the druid on his back, and watch as the druid controls the entire damn battlefield.
Belial

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:04 pm UTC

I do hope they're fixing the Mounted Combat feat + a decent ride score = unhittable mount problem.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Belial » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:09 pm UTC

Well, considering it only worked once per round, it just meant that it was unhittable for the first attack.
Belial

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:12 pm UTC

Belial wrote:The utahraptor makes a much scarier animal companion than he does a combat form. Just put the druid on his back, and watch as the druid controls the entire damn battlefield.

True - I did this once. It was The Good.

'course this was also the same warforged druid whose favored wildshape was Gorilla...

Hmmm. Yeah, I think my next eberron character after my crazed Elan Quori slayer is going to be a halfling druid.
Nyarlathotep

Postby Belial » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:15 pm UTC

I'm kindof unenthused about D&D until I have 4th ed in my hands. Stupid new edition making me not care about 3.5....
Belial

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Well, considering it only worked once per round, it just meant that it was unhittable for the first attack.

True enough. I keep forgetting that part.

Why can't we ever fight a mounted opponent when half the party isn't busy doing something else, like drowning or fighting back the horde of the undead or just too far away?

...yeah, we've done the whole "fighting while moving in a consistent direction" thing before. Leaping from horse to horse doesn't work.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Belial » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

Leaping from horse to horse doesn't work.

As it shouldn't.
Belial

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:11 pm UTC

That's.. more or less my point, I guess.

But it is funny.

Also, leaping from magic carpet to horse doesn't work with equal lack of success.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Jessica » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:13 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:That reminds me of the HalflinOrc Delivery Service.

See, you've got a couple thousand Half-Orc Barbarians standing 40 feet apart in a line from one city center to the next. Should you need to send a message to the other city, you merely write it down, pay the toll, and a halfling (Using a standard action) picks it up and (using a move action) moves 20 feet to the nearest Half-Orc.. who picks up the Halfling (standard action) and moves to the next half-orc (move action) who takes the halfling (standard action, unresisted to grab a carried item) and moves to the next half-orc..

So long as you don't run out of half-orcs, you can get a package from here to there in six seconds. Then the halfling delivers it.

That only works if the first one gets the first initiative, second goes second etc (and that all of them get an initiative check). If they're out of synch, then it's slightly less effective. </nitpick>
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Belial » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

Horse to magic carpet should work great though

Gharbad wrote:That only works if the first one gets the first initiative, second goes second etc (and that all of them get an initiative check). If they're out of synch, then it's slightly less effective.

Nah. Everyone just readies an action and waits.
Belial

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

Gharbad wrote:That only works if the first one gets the first initiative, second goes second etc (and that all of them get an initiative check). If they're out of synch, then it's slightly less effective. </nitpick>

Ready Action. Booyah.

Horse to magic carpet should work great though

Not really. Much like horse-to-horse, there's the matter of the landing.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Jessica » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:16 pm UTC

fine...
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Indon » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I'm kindof unenthused about D&D until I have 4th ed in my hands. Stupid new edition making me not care about 3.5....

My group took to playing the Iron Kingdoms campaign setting, which has been stated that it won't be upgrading to 4'th edition in the forseeable future.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Indon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:24 pm UTC

Are they still releasing material? Last I saw, they'd pretty much gone Warmachine Only...

*checks*

Oh, cool.. granted it's only two new books, but still.. cool.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:53 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Not really. Much like horse-to-horse, there's the matter of the landing.

Is landing in a 10'*10' area not much easier than landing on a horse?
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
Spoiler:
Nullcline wrote:What a colossal waste of stupidity.
fjafjan wrote:I got quite a lot of "batter" left
natraj wrote:skydiving is p fun (in this respect it is almost exactly unlike centipedes)
doogly wrote:Oh, I like everything!
LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:03 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:Not really. Much like horse-to-horse, there's the matter of the landing.

Is landing in a 10'*10' area not much easier than landing on a horse?

Well, more of landing in a 10x10 area that's occupied by already crowded individuals. Who don't want you on there.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Belial » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:03 pm UTC

You'd think. Especially when that area is perfectly flat and magically buoyant.

Edit: Oh, right, you didn't specify other occupants.
Belial

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:37 pm UTC

Well, yeah.. leaping to a riderless horse or an empty magic carpet, even if they're going full speed is difficult, but feasable even for someone untrained in such things yet has a decent dexterity.

Put a rider/occupants on there, and the whole thing goes right out the window. And so do you. On to painful, sharp glass. In a shark tank. With fricken lasers on their head. In D&D.

And raptors as mounts for barbarian halflings on meth, for no reason.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Girl™ » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:52 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:And raptors as mounts for barbarian halflings on meth, for no reason.

Oh shit, man. My crazy tweaker halfling needs a new animal companion.
You don't make them touch!
Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:03 pm UTC

I thought that was the other way around.. the beast in question has a crazy tweaker halfling as an animal companion.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Yakk » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:41 pm UTC

What is the ECL on a Raptor?

And anyone want to homebrew the "Halfling Bearer" class for Raptors?
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Belial » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:51 pm UTC

Depends on what you mean by "Raptor", I imagine, since Velociraptor, Deinonychus, and Utahraptor are all statted out.
Belial

Postby Yakk » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:02 pm UTC

The Megaraptor from the SRD lacks an ECL. :)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Belial » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

They all do, because they're mistakenly listed as Intelligence 2 and therefore can't be PCs.

But we know better.
Belial

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming