Nethack (is kicking my ass)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Re: Nethack (is kicking my ass)

Postby Xanthir » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:21 pm UTC

And yet, you didn't elaborate on it.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:22 pm UTC

Read the bottom post on the last page.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:04 am UTC

Ah, I see. In a thread like this, it's much more likely that such an exclamation, apropos of nothing, refers to something in game. Thus my confusion. ^_^
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:47 am UTC

Decker wrote:Can anyone point me to a download of nethack that won't secretly fill my computer with horrible things?
Your computer is already filled with horrible things. In this quote alone I can see soldier ants, mind flayers, nymphs, lurkers above... Maybe a werewolf, or a purple worm, or ...

Horrible things.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:11 am UTC

So my first game lasts all of about one minute and 28 seconds.
Note to self. Do not eat kobold corpses.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:15 am UTC

Decker wrote:So my first game lasts all of about one minute and 28 seconds.

Heh. Expect to die a lot, and learn a lot of 'note to self, don't do X' lessons.

Also, welcome to the most masochistic game ever! (Well, the game is sadistic, you are masochistic, but that's splitting hairs... or probably more accurately in a few hours, pulling them out)
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Levi

Postby Levi » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:39 pm UTC

Decker wrote:So my first game lasts all of about one minute and 28 seconds.

You can eat them with a much smaller chance of death if you eat them right after killing the kobold. There's still a chance of dying though, so it should be a last resort.

Levi

Postby Levi » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:33 am UTC

I think there are less than ten types of monsters whose corpses are bad to eat, and they're all really rare. It really just depends on how lucky you are and how quickly you eat the corpses.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:26 am UTC

Ten?

No goddamn way.

off the top of my head.
Spoiler:
kobold
any zombie/mummy
giant bats
the horsemen
cockatrices
your own race
dogs/cats
bees
various types of mold
pretty sure unicorns in some cases?

And yeah... you'll run across heaps of them.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:22 am UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:Ten?

No goddamn way.

off the top of my head.
Spoiler:
kobold
any zombie/mummy
giant bats
the horsemen
cockatrices
your own race
dogs/cats
bees
various types of mold
pretty sure unicorns in some cases?

And yeah... you'll run across heaps of them.

Spoiler:
Dogs/cats only if they used to be your pet. Bats will stun you for a turn or two, big whoop. But yeah, stay away from @, a, F, c, B. that should do you.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:25 am UTC

mike-l wrote:
Spoiler:
Dogs/cats only if they used to be your pet. Bats will stun you for a turn or two, big whoop. But yeah, stay away from @, a, F, c, B. that should do you.

Spoiler:
I specified giant bats, that's for 60 turns... also pretty sure you can't eat any cats/dogs if you don't want to aggravate monsters, maybe sacrificing is different? seriously, @, a, F, c, B, b, M, Z, V, K if you're human...
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Levi

Postby Levi » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:35 am UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:
mike-l wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I specified giant bats, that's for 60 turns... also pretty sure you can't eat any cats/dogs if you don't want to aggravate monsters, maybe sacrificing is different? seriously, @, a, F, c, B, b, M, Z, V, K if you're human...

I was only thinking about poisoned corpses, but I suppose you're right and there are more than ten of them. However, I would like to point out that you have listed exactly ten monsters.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:31 am UTC

10 characters != 10 monsters, and there are a few more according to a spoiler :P I think there should be a few acidic corpses I didn't list, too, but they aren't too dangerous if you have a fair chunk of health.

Website

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:09 am UTC

Acidic corpses, yeah,
Spoiler:
acid blobs, gelatinous cubes, some other ooze/pudding/jelly things, yellow dragons (and their babies), green mold, black nagas (and hatchlings), also Jubilex.

Also, to be more inclusive for other bad stuff, we should add
Spoiler:
Keystone Kops (if you're human)
Green slimes
Giant spiders
Rabid rats

Heck, just check this list: http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Corpse
But the list itself isn't complete. Certain snake corpses (or maybe all) are poisonous, so are soldier ants and killer bees. And it doesn't list the acidic corpses, probably because they usually aren't a problem.

Although, to be fair about these poisonous ones, a lot of them have a chance of granting poison resistance too. So you might luck out.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:58 am UTC

diotimajsh wrote:Acidic corpses, yeah,
Spoiler:
acid blobs, gelatinous cubes, some other ooze/pudding/jelly things, yellow dragons (and their babies), green mold, black nagas (and hatchlings), also Jubilex.

Spoiler:
Green slimes
Giant spiders
Rabid rats

But the list itself isn't complete. Certain snake corpses (or maybe all) are poisonous, so are soldier ants and killer bees. And it doesn't list the acidic corpses, probably because they usually aren't a problem.

Although, to be fair about these poisonous ones, a lot of them have a chance of granting poison resistance too. So you might luck out.

Yes, once I have a unicorn horn, I eat everything poisonous in sight :)

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:03 pm UTC

Alright, I played five or six games, but never really felt what all the fuss was about, but last night, the game finally clicked with me.
SO MANY STUPID DEATHS.

I think it was playing as a wizard that did it. The forcebolting, the starting off with a spellbook of identify, and so many items which I was too busy exploring to stop and figure out how to use (wand of polymorph, scroll of genocide, and the coolest item, the thing I really wanted to learn to use, a magic marker).
He had a ring of regenerating on one hand and a ring of teleporting on the other, but the latter didn't kick in until floor 6, when I was running away from a pack of particularly diehard jackals. So he zapped around three times and landed in a hallway that led to a shop. I killed some mimics, bought some corpses (well, ate them, because apparently you don't have to pay then) and was just about to purchase a fetching quarterstaff when ZAP room full of jackals. Having rested up, I dispatched them easily, but... the quarterstaff.

A minute later: There are 2 Keystone Kop corpses here. Continue? (ynq) y You lift the Keystone Kop corpse. You can barely move a handspan! The shopkeeper uses the wand of striking. Boing! The shopkeeper uses the wand of striking. Boing! The shopkeeper uses the wand of striking. Boing! Would you like to see your possessions identified?

And then Remainder, the other wizard, who was more or less invincible for some reason (I... think it had to do with quaffing a potion of gain ability while wearing a ring of sustain ability, but I don't know what the "ability" I gained could've been) found himself in some gnomish mines and smacked his way through... had to be a dozen of gnomes and dwarves each, before stopping to eat, and finding that dwarf meat is apparently as fast-acting as cyanide.

This game is fantastic.
500%!

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

Yeah, always take off rings of teleportation before you enter a shop, unless you want to rob them and make a break for it to the next floor (which is not always a bad plan!).

One thing to note is that if you come across a bookstore, it's cheaper to buy a spellbook, read it, then sell it back than it is to read the book (he charges you for the knowledge). You'll be able to cast the spell for a few thousand turns before it starts wearing out, I think (or maybe it's based off the number of times you cast the spell- in which case I think you get about a hundred). By then you should be rich enough to go back and buy the book for good, if you still need the spell.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Levi

Postby Levi » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:55 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:You'll be able to cast the spell for a few thousand turns before it starts wearing out, I think (or maybe it's based off the number of times you cast the spell- in which case I think you get about a hundred).

I think it's exactly a thousand turns. It's definitely based on number of turns, though.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:02 am UTC

Levi wrote:
Vaniver wrote:You'll be able to cast the spell for a few thousand turns before it starts wearing out, I think (or maybe it's based off the number of times you cast the spell- in which case I think you get about a hundred).

I think it's exactly a thousand turns. It's definitely based on number of turns, though.

Pretty sure it's ten thousand.. in the speedy speedy games people have done they had to find alternate sources of confusion.

frogman

Postby frogman » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:13 am UTC

I play as an Archeologist (really don't care about anything else, probably should though) because of the pick-axe and the tinning kit. The pick axe is so great for getting money from vaults and stuff and the tinning kit is good for corpses when satiated. The whip is also a pretty decent weapon. Also, the intrinsic stealth and speed is very nice.
yeah yeah yeah

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:29 am UTC

frogman wrote:I play as an Archeologist (really don't care about anything else, probably should though) because of the pick-axe and the tinning kit. The pick axe is so great for getting money from vaults and stuff and the tinning kit is good for corpses when satiated. The whip is also a pretty decent weapon. Also, the intrinsic stealth and speed is very nice.

The pickaxe is a great item! But also very easy to pick up on your own, no need to play a class that starts with one. Tinning kits are more hit and miss.. definitely a good item and no guarantee you'll ever see one in a given game. Do Archs always start with one or is it only sometimes?

One of the best feature of Archs is their ability to use a regular touchstone as if it were blessed, this can be very useful (for money early on, for luck midgame-ish).

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:38 pm UTC

diotimajsh wrote:Acidic corpses, yeah,
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Green slimes
Giant spiders
Rabid rats

So, uh, is there anything in this game you can eat?

Oddly enough, despite the fact that I've loved Roguelikes for ages (going all the way back to finding Castle of the Winds on one of those old "300 (shareware) Games in 1!" packs), I've yet to actually play NetHack. Maybe I'll try it once I get tired of Doom: the Roguelike...
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

Sorting Algorithm

Postby Sorting Algorithm » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:54 pm UTC

So I finally made some progress when it comes to living.
I'm now sitting on the level with the Wizard of Yendor, as a wizard.
Item-wise, I think I have everything, except for a ring of conflict.
What I'm wondering is, should I be higher than level 16?

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:45 pm UTC

So how can you touch Excalibur?

I was a Valkyrie who got a water demon wish on first level and wished for Excalibur. But its holy power obliterated me. So how do I get around that?
500%!

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:50 pm UTC

Klapaucius wrote:So how can you touch Excalibur?

I was a Valkyrie who got a water demon wish on first level and wished for Excalibur. But its holy power obliterated me. So how do I get around that?

With artifact weapons, you have to be the right alignment to avoid getting blasted, or sometimes to use at all.

But... excalibur should never be wished for. Firstly, it's not a great weapon compared to some other artifacts, though it's still very much worth using. More importantly,
Spoiler:
any lawful character can get it by dipping a long sword in a fountain after level 5.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:50 pm UTC

With artifact weapons, you have to be the right alignment to avoid getting blasted, or sometimes to use at all.

But... excalibur should never be wished for. Firstly, it's not a great weapon compared to some other artifacts, though it's still very much worth using. More importantly,
Spoiler:
any lawful character can get it by dipping a long sword in a fountain after level 5.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:10 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:

Spoiler:
I don't know any artifact weapon names, so I went for the one thing I knew I could get.

As a Valkyrie, how could I be the wrong alignment? If you're a Valkyrie on floor one and haven't done anything in either direction, does that make you Lawful Neutral?
500%!

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:39 pm UTC

Klapaucius wrote:I don't know any artifact weapon names, so I went for the one thing I knew I could get.

As a Valkyrie, how could I be the wrong alignment? If you're a Valkyrie on floor one and haven't done anything in either direction, does that make you Lawful Neutral?

Alignment is one of Lawful, Neutral, or Chaotic. You must have been Neutral. (valks can't be chaotic). Alignment is also not changed by your most of your actions (with a few notable exceptions), however there is also an alignment record, also often referred to as alignment. This goes up with killing monsters and can generally be ignored.

Generally it's better to wish for something that will keep you from dying rather than something that will let you kill faster. Examples are Silver Dragon Scale Mail or Grey Dragon Scale Mail (reflection/magic resistance respectively), Master Key of Thievery (half physical damage taken, teleport control, chaotic), Eye of the Aethiopica (branch teleporting, mana regen, half spell damage, magic resistence, neutral), Orb of Detection (half spell damage, magic resistence, invisibility, lawful), boots of speed/jumping, amulet of reflection, etc.

Edit: If you are getting a weapon, Mjollnir is the one to go with for valks. With Gauntlets of Strength, you can throw the weapon and it has a 99% chance of returning to your hand. Plus it does sick damage to anything not shock resistant.

Also magicbane is good for curse protection, magic resistence and E-word, but it needs to be wielded for full effect so if you are a valk you probably want to be using Mjollnir.
Last edited by mike-l on Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:49 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:
Klapaucius wrote:I don't know any artifact weapon names, so I went for the one thing I knew I could get.

Alignment is one of Lawful, Neutral, or Chaotic. You must have been Neutral. (valks can't be chaotic). Alignment is also not changed by your most of your actions (with a few notable exceptions), however there is also an alignment record, also often referred to as alignment. This goes up with killing monsters and can generally be ignored.

Generally it's better to wish for something that will keep you from dying rather than something that will let you kill faster. Examples are Silver Dragon Scale Mail or Grey Dragon Scale Mail (reflection/magic resistance respectively), Master Key of Thievery (half physical damage taken, teleport control, chaotic), Eye of the Aethiopica (branch teleporting, mana regen, half spell damage, magic resistence, neutral), Orb of Detection (half spell damage, magic resistence, invisibility, lawful), boots of speed/jumping, amulet of reflection, etc.
Yeah, I would have looked up something better had I felt like taking the effort.
At this point I'm playing to learn, not playing to win. Though I will probably need to start looking things up if I want to get past the "Woohoo! Gnomish Mines!" skill level anytime soon.

Speaking of gnomes, what happens to those gnome-kept shops if I genocide them?
500%!

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:15 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:With artifact weapons, you have to be the right alignment to avoid getting blasted, or sometimes to use at all.
mike-l wrote:Master Key of Thievery (half physical damage taken, teleport control, chaotic), Eye of the Aethiopica (branch teleporting, mana regen, half spell damage, magic resistence, neutral), Orb of Detection (half spell damage, magic resistence, invisibility, lawful), boots of speed/jumping, amulet of reflection, etc.
It isn't artifact weapons that blast you, it's intelligent artifacts. I imagine there is no way other than spoilers and painful experience to know which artifacts those are. It does include all of the quest rewards (like the Eye of the Aethiopica, and the Key and Orb you just mentioned) which require you to be the same class as well as same alignment.
Spoiler:
Mjollnir, Vorpal Blade, and Grayswandir are three artifact weapons that aren't intelligent, and so shouldn't blast you.
As a Valkyrie, you start out with a long sword, so Excalibur is easy to obtain.
Edit: If you are getting a weapon, Mjollnir is the one to go with for valks. With Gauntlets of Strength, you can throw the weapon and it has a 99% chance of returning to your hand. Plus it does sick damage to anything not shock resistant.
It is nifty weapon, although the shock damage can be annoying. But don't wish for it as a Valkyrie, its a guaranteed first gift from your god.
Klapaucius wrote:Speaking of gnomes, what happens to those gnome-kept shops if I genocide them?
Clever idea, and it might clear out the mines (it also might just mean that the mines will be/become populated with different monsters) but Shopkeepers are their own species.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:15 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:
mike-l wrote:With artifact weapons, you have to be the right alignment to avoid getting blasted, or sometimes to use at all.
mike-l wrote:Master Key of Thievery (half physical damage taken, teleport control, chaotic), Eye of the Aethiopica (branch teleporting, mana regen, half spell damage, magic resistence, neutral), Orb of Detection (half spell damage, magic resistence, invisibility, lawful), boots of speed/jumping, amulet of reflection, etc.
It isn't artifact weapons that blast you, it's intelligent artifacts. I imagine there is no way other than spoilers and painful experience to know which artifacts those are. It does include all of the quest rewards (like the Eye of the Aethiopica, and the Key and Orb you just mentioned) which require you to be the same class as well as same alignment.
Spoiler:
Mjollnir, Vorpal Blade, and Grayswandir are three artifact weapons that aren't intelligent, and so shouldn't blast you.
As a Valkyrie, you start out with a long sword, so Excalibur is easy to obtain.
It is nifty weapon, although the shock damage can be annoying. But don't wish for it as a Valkyrie, its a guaranteed first gift from your god.
Klapaucius wrote:Speaking of gnomes, what happens to those gnome-kept shops if I genocide them?
Clever idea, and it might clear out the mines (it also might just mean that the mines will be/become populated with different monsters) but Shopkeepers are their own species.
Guaranteed first gift? What does that mean?

(Incidentally, I tried wishing for "Mjolnir" first, but didn't know Nethack puts two "l"s in it.
500%!

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:58 pm UTC

Anyone have any decent tilesets for this game?
Also, how do you apply one to the game?
(I just started and although I really like it, I'm shallow and want improved sprites)
Signatures are for chumps.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:52 pm UTC

I'm not familiar with any tilesets for Nethack beyond the ones it comes with, really. Since the dungeon is always created to fit on the screen in ASCII mode, I stick with that. There is Vulture's Eye, a shiny 3D isometric interface (Screenshot).

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is a quite different roguelike, but it has a rather nice default tileset - nice enough that I use it sometimes, which is saying something - and a decent tutorial mode, which could be handy to those just starting out. But it isn't Nethack, so don't tell anyone I mentioned it in this thread.

Klapaucius wrote:Guaranteed first gift? What does that mean?
If you please your god, they can give you shiny things. Shiny artifact weapons. Some classes are guaranteed to get a particular weapon the first time this happen.
Spoiler:
By 'please your god' I mean sacrificing dead critters to them on an altar. Different monsters are more or less valuable to the gods. Bigger tougher and more dangerous monsters are usually worth more. The alignment of the monster can make a difference - especially with unicorns. If the altar is to a different god (different alignment) things are a little different - sacrificing will be an attempt to convert the altar, which will piss off any resident priest. So don't try it in minetown.

If you sacrifice enough corpses, your god can become pleased enough with you to grant you a gift. First gift for Valkyries is Mjollnir, first gift for Wizards in Magicbane. Other things can happen too, of course. This is Nethack.

All the nitty gritty details are spoiler on the Nethck Wiki entry for Altars.
Klapaucius wrote:Incidentally, I tried wishing for "Mjolnir" first, but didn't know Nethack puts two "l"s in it.
It can be fun to check the entries of the in-game encyclopedia (not an option in the middle of a wish prompt, I know)
The NetHack encyclopedia is NetHack's built-in database of information about in-game monsters, objects and features. It can be accessed using the what is command: [/], and then choosing not to specify an unknown object by cursor. You can then type in the name of anything you like.

Some entries, like that for the mind flayer, are written by the DevTeam as explicit explanations of what the monster does. Others, such as that for lich, are cryptic, in the form of a literary extract. Be warned that these are not always an accurate guide to NetHack's version of the monster/object.
A whole bunch of artifacts are taken from various literary sources, and this can be a good non-spoilery (or semi-spoilery) to find out what some of them are.

parhelion

What to sacrifice on an Altar on level 1?

Postby parhelion » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:55 pm UTC

I found a lawful altar (same as me) on level 1. The problem is that there are no monsters to bring to the altar, if I'd try to bring a corpse from the lower levels it'd just rot on the way. What's the best way to get something to sacrifice?

(The game is NetHack of course).

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:20 am UTC

Eventually something will spawn on level 1 so you could kill and sacrifice that. Otherwise, a spell/scroll of create monster would do the trick if you've identified one or the other.

Website

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:40 am UTC

Spell, scroll, or wand. There are more uses for an altar than sacrificing (which can probably wait.) You can find monsters elsewhere and let them follow you back to the altar before killing them. If they're adjacent they'll follow up (or down) stairs. Be careful your pet doesn't eat the corpses, though.

I find an altar in the early game is mostly useful for identifying the blessed or cursedness of armour. And of course for making excessive amounts of Holy Water when that becomes feasible.

Pianodog

Postby Pianodog » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:40 pm UTC

NetHack has done bad things to my productivity at work. Not horrible, I can contain myself, but I'm too amused by this to not let it overrun into work time from breaks.

So far I'm really loving the Archeologist - the pickaxe makes exploring fun, and the other gear means you're not just starving immediately. I felt like I was "prepared" for the dungeon adventure.

I don't make it further than level 3, but it's a good feeling. Today I tunneled into a secret vault full of coins, and a guard appeared, telling me to put it all back. I did. He left. I dug an alternate route into the vault, took the money, and ran. In digging the alternate route, I found a yellow gem buried in the earth as well as more coins. Very cool.

Then 60 turns later I crippled myself on a trap and was slaughtered by a Jackal.

At this rate, I'll never Ascend, but I'm having a lot of fun just poking around.
http://www.lilliansolstice.com/soaps.html - Awesome Soap.

PSA: Support the gaming industry, but do it smartly. Remember to check for restrictive DRM before buying as a way to remind publishers that we're their customers, not their enemies.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:11 am UTC

I just recently got into this. Haven't made it past 3 levels in, but it's fun as hell. I certainly enjoyed having 1 hp left after an altercation with a jackal, then accidentally killing myself when trying to kick open a locked door. Yay!
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:57 pm UTC

I, also, finally broke down and downloaded NetHack. Made it roughly five floors in, at which point something blue rendered me helpless and a kitten walked up to me and bit me until I died.

This is awesome.
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

Levi

Postby Levi » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:50 am UTC

Anybody tried SLASH'EM (Super Lotsa Added Stuff Hack - Extended Magic)? It's Nethack but with more classes, races items, spells, and monsters. It also has special abilities tied to class and race (such as Liquid Leap for the doppelganger). I tried playing a couple times as a Necromancer because I wanted to raise an undead army as I traveled through the dungeon, but I never managed to get to a high enough level to use my Summon Undead ability before I started reading the Wiki and found out Necromancers suck at higher levels. I may try it again sometime soon though - Undead armies are awesome even if they may be ineffective. Though it may seem impossible, SLASH'EM is even more difficult than Nethack.

Return to “Gaming”