Earthbound!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

KnightExemplar

Earthbound!

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed May 08, 2013 4:41 am UTC

As Earthbound finally returns to Wii U Virtual Console, Ness fans can rejoice and finally re-experience the game. And a whole generation of gamers who are wondering... "Just who the **** is Ness??" as they were playing Super Smash Bros will be able to experience first-hand the quirkiness of the New Age Retro Hippie.

With Earthbound hitting Wii U Virtual Console, anyone else feel like Mother3 might have a chance at an English translation?
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Re: Earthbound!

Postby philsov » Wed May 08, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

*official english translation. There's a fan-made patch for the GBA version that's been available for about 4 years now. But... possibly. I'd imagine Earthbound would need to sell a fair amount of volume to warrant work for both the formatting and translation necessary for Mother 3. I don't see it happening but I can always hope.

I've always seen Earthbound as.... campy. At its most basic it's literally a re-skinned dragon quest game with simple mechanics, limited inventory space, and minimal replayability (same party, no choices). A lot of sprites are also very poor quality.

But what it does (and does WELL) is turn a lot of common RPG tropes on their side without outright mocking them with regards to storyline and characters. It's a gem of game on that front, and anyone who's enjoyed any manner of NES/SNES/PSX-era rpgs will greatly enjoy Earthbound.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

moiraemachy

Postby moiraemachy » Wed May 08, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

I don't think I care, really... Mother 3's fan translation is perfect. Better than the professional one in Mother 2 if you ask me. And emulators exist (with some kind of game acceleration, Mother 1 actually becomes beareable!). Seriously, the only reasons to bother with the virtual console are to support an awesome game and to be able to better enlighten people who don't know the series...

Now, if you want to play the Mother games, do it on your computer. IMO, the only port that makes sense would be one for the DS, since 16-bit graphics don't benefit much from huge HD screens.

cyanyoshi

Postby cyanyoshi » Thu May 09, 2013 4:36 am UTC

Earthbound sure is an interesting beast in its own right. It looks to me like Nintendo wants to pull out all the stops in order to get people to actually buy the Wii U. The popular theory why it took so freaking long to (re-)release it was because it was essentially a legal minefield, and Nintendo didn't want to take the trouble to re-release it to a Western audience that just didn't buy it back in the day. Nowadays it's being more and more recognized as the great game that it is, due in no small part to the rise of social media (I blame Chuggaaconroy above all). What's interesting here is that so many people have already played illegally downloaded games in the Mother series because of their scarcity and recent popularity, so I'm more than curious to see just how willing modern Earthbound fans are to pay for a legitimate copy of a game they likely have already pirated. That's not to say that this is directed only to the diehard crowd of course. They're probably counting on social media doing its thing, building up the hype and getting fans of the series to do most of the advertising for them.

liveboy21

Postby liveboy21 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

Do we have a date of when Earthbound comes to the Wii U?

I don't have a Wii U or a Wii but news about Earthbound on the Wii U is making me consider getting a Wii U. However, I'm probably going to need to know about at least 3 more games that I'll actually enjoy that don't feel too gimmicky or use the Wii U tablet gimmick well before I actually buy the Wii U. I can't just buy a Wii U to play older games...but I can't deny that the temptation to do so is strong.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri May 10, 2013 5:28 am UTC

I thought we had an Earthbound thread already, but no, that was a Mother 3 thread.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29215

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Fri May 10, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

What's interesting here is that so many people have already played illegally downloaded games in the Mother series because of their scarcity and recent popularity, so I'm more than curious to see just how willing modern Earthbound fans are to pay for a legitimate copy of a game they likely have already pirated.

Pirate schmirate. People are paying $100 to buy them off ebay (not being posted as, Earthbound is selling at that price). I can see a large enough demand for it. As good as emulation is, it just don't have the same feel as console play. I also like old books for the smell (in your face, kindle).

Meanwhile, this is probably my favorite segment from the game. It's almost artistic in its execution. Poo's meditation.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:53 am UTC

Replayed this with a challenge. Finished the game without equipping anything. Forced some different strategies. Never bought Rust Promoter before. Used the HP Sucker a lot. Wound up lower level (Ness at 69) than on a casual run (low to mid 70's) due to fleeing often.

Highlights:

1. Second Sanctuary Boss (Mondo Mole). Knew about Paralysis's effectiveness this time. Forgot to heal Ness before the battle (at ~70% health), however. Smacked Ness for all their current health in one shot. Landed Paralysis before falling, at least.

Left Paula alone versus the defanged beast. Dumped Thunders into it...until the Psi Shield. And Lifeup. Bonked Mondo Mole for 1 damage (out of 498 maximum hitpoints).

Resorted to Praying. Resurrected Ness on the third try (1/16 chance each). Struck the boss for 13 damage each (~70 with a Smash). Set it to autobattle. Walked away. (Checked periodically for time, of course.) Won after four minutes.

2. Ness's Nightmare. Brought three Bags of Dragonite, two Sudden Guts Pills, and some PP restoration. Died to a Kraken's Flash Beta (15% instant death chance) on the way in already. Boded ill for the incoming Flash Omegas (40% instant death chance each).

Led with Hypnosis. Worked. Tried to set up with Sudden Guts Pills. Woke up after one turn. Burned all three Bags of Dragonite. Wasted one from feeling strange. Failed to destroy the creature.

Attempted to end the battle with a string of Smashes. Hit for 1 damage normally, but ~250 on a Smash. Lost ground. Spent most turns on Lifeup Beta or curing status. Weathered four Flash Omegas total. (Two Crying and two Feeling Strange. Amounts to a 13% chance of not dying instantly, by the way.)

Ate every restoration item in the bag. Came up short. Spent the last bit of PP on Lifeup Beta. Waited for the final Rockin Omega.

...Not enough PP. Shield Beta? Not enough PP. Lifeup Beta? Not enough PP. Rockin Alpha? Not enough PP. Ran out of PP at the exact same time.

Gulped down the second Sudden Guts Pill. Ramped Guts up to 196. Laid into the Nightmare with bare knuckles. Prayed for no glorious light (Flash Omega) or for it to require PP. Never even tried. Prevailed with ~312 hitpoints and 1 PP. First try.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Return to “Gaming”