Crisis of faith

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

geghoktithvys

Crisis of faith

Postby geghoktithvys » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:25 am UTC

I've spent a lot of time playing video games and in hindsight all these hours of concentration have produced nothing of value. That said, they remain highly stimulating. I wonder if this is because I'm addicted or because my brain has become used to them. It's hard to gauge what I could have achieved if I hadn't started playing in the first place. This has led me to doubt a lot of things and reevaluate my life so far.

Do you think gaming is a waste of time, considering all the other things you can do?

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Re: Crisis of faith

Postby Xenomortis » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:38 am UTC

geghoktithvys wrote:That said, they remain highly stimulating.

Then I would not consider it a waste of your time.

geghoktithvys wrote:I've spent a lot of time playing video games and in hindsight all these hours of concentration have produced nothing of value.

Do your gaming habits eat deeply into your time? Do they cause problems for other aspects of your life? Or is it more of a "I often play for an hour or two a day when I get home from work".

Or are you trying to compare them to other stimulating activities, such as playing an instrument. Ones that are done are primarily done for recreation, but produce an obvious, visible skill (like being able to play an instrument well).
The skills gained from playing games (you tend to be better at games than most) are just less impressive in the eyes of society.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:26 am UTC

Of value? What is of value? Successful career? That brings money and might bring respect and it might even be something you like doing. But that all comes down to feeling good: After necessary things you use the money for pleasurable things or collect it like a high score in Tetris. Respect feels nice and might give you more options but the options eventually also lead to you or others feeling better or why choose them? The third one is also obvious.

You could also invent or discover something or make art. But we look at art for the feelings it causes. And the purpose of inventions and discoveries is either to sate our curiosity (another good feeling) or to fulfill other desires. It starts with the necessities but after that everything is either intended to make live easier (remove negative) feelings or to provide positive feelings.
And even changing society is in the end about removing negative feelings or creating more positive ones.

Pleasure is it's own value since it's the end goal of most other things anyway. There are many different kinds of positive feelings, so only playing games might not be very fulfilling. You might also desire doing things which influence more than just yourself or you might desire to create something which is longer lasting.
But no it's no waste of time as long as it feels good.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

Do you think gaming is a waste of time, considering all the other things you can do?

Yeah. It's a leisure activity; the entire point of it is to not be productive. This falls into the same pit as watching movies, reading books, and attending concerts. Or fine dining, I guess. Basically all of the High Culture subfora.

So long as gaming isn't causing you to miss things of higher priority -- education/training, job, exercise, social life, domestic duties, etc -- you're free to spend your FREE time however you please. When you regularly carve out extra gaming time at the expense of other things is when you're on the darker side imo.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:
geghoktithvys wrote:I've spent a lot of time playing video games and in hindsight all these hours of concentration have produced nothing of value.

Do your gaming habits eat deeply into your time? Do they cause problems for other aspects of your life? Or is it more of a "I often play for an hour or two a day when I get home from work".

Or are you trying to compare them to other stimulating activities, such as playing an instrument. Ones that are done are primarily done for recreation, but produce an obvious, visible skill (like being able to play an instrument well).
The skills gained from playing games (you tend to be better at games than most) are just less impressive in the eyes of society.

Depending on the games you play, they may also increase you hand-eye coordination, rhythm, reflex, puzzle solving, and decision making skills under pressure. That said, you won't see much return from playing the same game/game type over and over. Call of Duty may improve your reaction time but you aren't going to be learning much rhythm or puzzle solving from it.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

It all comes down to what your values are. There is no objective answer to the question of how you should spend your time. Ultimately it's just a question of how spending your time a certain way makes you feel.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:26 am UTC

I think the real question your asking is, "Is hedonism okay?" (In case you don't know hedonism is the philosophy of doing whatever makes you personally happy in the sort term.) I think this is a crisis that almost everyone goes through, I know I did at around 20 years old. I failed every class I was taking one semester because I was playing too much WoW. The problem isn't the gaming, it's the priority of short term leisure activities over other things. Things that are important for our own self worth. I recommend taking a break from all the stiumation, try and get a lot of time to think without distraction and try and find what your real goals in life are.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:03 pm UTC

Lostdreams wrote:Depending on the games you play, they may also increase you hand-eye coordination, rhythm, reflex, puzzle solving, and decision making skills under pressure.

Behold, lesser beings! I have 100%'ed Patapon 2! Grovel before my rythmical abilities!

Okay, seriously. Aside from hand-eye coordination where would you ever use this stuff?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

Surgeons who play skill based games (shooters platformers etc) maintain their skills longer and have fewer accidents. But that's not really the point. I don't feel time spent reading books is a waste of time, and I feel videogames are sometimes kind of mostly frequently in the same category of 'brain stimulation for distraction'.

The last 5 birthday parties of mine have been spent at Lasertag. I love going into a dark room, having loud pounding music prevent any real conversation, heavy fog prevent too clear vision, and running like a mad man for hours while shooting bouncing lights (mostly children). Complete sensory overload for sensory deprivation. I also like running, 5 and 10ks while listening to loud angry music.

Sometimes you just need a distraction, to turn your brain off and not think about the problems of work/life.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Return to “Gaming”