Starbound

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Chen

Starbound

Postby Chen » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:34 pm UTC

Couldn't find another post about this game (though I suppose the title could have been renamed) so figured I'd make one.

Starbound is basically Terraria in space. There are tons of planets and solar systems to go through, with the same building/finding/killing mechanics as Terraria. It just went into what seems to be an open beta since if you pre-order the game now you can download the client and play immediately. It's pretty fun and they're constantly twerking stuff. The damage/armor mechanic is pretty broken at the moment but apparently that's being fixed pretty soon. Anyone else tried this yet?

ZeroTheConfused

Re: Starbound

Postby ZeroTheConfused » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

'Tis a neat game.
Spoiler:
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

Apparently they are having a reset today, in a new patch fixing the aforementioned armor/damage understandability issues, and also adding new things.
I guess my Apex will have to rise again one day.

Also, what are the hylotl? Fish? Alien-Aliens?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:47 pm UTC

What is the 'fly to new planet' mechanic like?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:What is the 'fly to new planet' mechanic like?

You need to collect fuel (wood and coal at the start) to power your ship. You can then select coordinates to enter or just randomly look for a planet and go there. The planets themselves are generally one major type of biome (forest, snow, desert etc) with standard sub-biomes in them (ape village, mideaval castle, sewers). At the moment whenever you log out you re-appear back in your ship. I don't know if they intend to allow you to create other spawn points in say things you build on the ground.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

But you've no control to fly, and a moon isn't just a chunk of material way above a planet, right? It's like, 'goto spawn point, with enough fuel click on thing, screen fades, screen unfades, you're at a new location'?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

I haven't tried exploring UP yet but I imagine what you're saying is correct. The universe appears to be a bunch of planets/moons that you get to via loading type screen. Basically you plug in coordinates press GO and the ship goes there. You can move about your ship and craft/build things on the ship during this time (I assume its loading the new planet in the background).

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

I played this a little over the weekend. I got as far as the first boss, which promptly kicked my ass. The only reason I lasted as long as I did against it is because snow infantry armor is completely OP for when you get it.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

I'm playing this now too and DAMN I'm enjoying it.

It still has a way to go in terms of balance and learning curve but it's FUN!

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

Have played for a couple of hours, have no idea what I'm doing. Got killed by bird-men with rayguns in a pyramid.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:45 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Have played for a couple of hours, have no idea what I'm doing. Got killed by bird-men with rayguns in a pyramid.

Angry birds have had enough of this being flung at stuff shit...

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

So I found a bone-shotgun...
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

I have had no luck finding or manufacturing any guns. I've been stuck on axes and bows and I'm in gamma sector. Don't some people find them in alpha? Is there a recipe I should be on the lookout for, or do you just have to hope you're lucky with chests?

Also, there's some interesting stuff to be found in this game. I found a modern style structure with electricity all over the walls. It was clearly intended to be a jumping puzzle, but I just mined all the electricity (the item ended up being called "tesla spikes") and walked through with few problems. It got me a phase jump tech, which I assume is double jump but it doesn't work.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:43 pm UTC

I got my guns by finding an Avian sky ship (look for the anchor on the surface of the planet) and buying them from a trader on board.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

Yeah. I found a sky ship on the planet next door from where I spawned.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

I'm contemplating getting this for my tablet; how mouse intensive is it, and/or can it be played with a touchscreen + keyboard?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:51 pm UTC

Having played for about 45 minutes, anything other than a mouse or game pad would suck.

I have no idea if it supports game pads.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:52 pm UTC

Bummer. What about just using a keyboard?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

Given that you've got a person you move with a keyboard and then a mouse pointer you use to do everything else (dig, aim, etc).... seems like it'd be impossible without a mouse or gamepad.

That being said, the touchscreen... *might* work? But you'd be fiddling with it pretty frequently. If you ever played Terraria.. it's that.

*Edit* As a complete aside, having dumped more hours into it...

I like it, it's fun, it's entertaining, it's like Terraria except the worlds keep extending and loop back on themselves, I'm not sure how deep they go, and I like the teleport homebase ship and the ability to set a home planet that's also instantly reachable. Lets you build a quick-stop base on your ship for stuff you use a lot, and a deep storage-based homeworld palace. Or whatever, you get my point.

That being said, and this may just be me and I know you're going to be flabbergasted by my opinion of this game that's still in beta but...

*collective gasp*

There's not a lot of content to it yet.

I know, I know, shocking.

My point being - if you liked Terraria, put this on your wishlist, buy it on sale.. or not, your call...

And sit on it for a bit. Patches and rebalancing aside, there's stuff that needs polish (whoop-de-shit, I've got no problem fighting "PLACEHOLDER" and "TEXT_GOES_HERE") but more importantly, there's stuff that needs depth. Once you start leaving your planet and exploring a few others... and I've only done surface explorations, so maybe I'm mistaken, but.. doesn't seem like there's much of a point.

In comparison, Terraria... you know, a game that's been out for goddamn years at this point... has goals that may not even be understandable at the beginning, but goals nonetheless. "What's over that hill?" "What's in this jungle?" "Why does this skeleton head kill me in this temple dungeon place?" "An evil presences is watching me? Oh shit!" and a clear point to it - power up for the sake of powering up to kill larger and larger bosses, currently culminating in the Moon Invasion Events, with the Wall of Flesh being a literal meatgate between the early stage and the latestage.

But much like Terraria used to end and the Wall of Flesh was added in to expand the game, I can see where this game will be going and how it will be interesting.

But currently? After a couple hours in the game.. and maybe it's my Terraria experience talking... I kinda feel like I've seen most of what the game has to offer.

.. That being said, if you like Terraria, buy this fucking thing already. It looks like it'll be goddamn good someday.

Only problem is, it's not someday yet. It's today. And today it's a damn good demo of what's to come, but it's still a demo.

Of a game still in Beta.

I know, I'm as shocked as you are that it's not a polished, ready-to-go, fully realized and developed game. Shocked We're talking "I lost my monocle" here.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

firesoul31

Postby firesoul31 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:20 am UTC

...so!

No more ship/character resets! (Although world resets are possible, I suppose.)

Weapon-wise, what is your opinion on 1-handed weapons vs. 2-handed ones? At the moment, I can see advantages of two-handed weapons (arc, greater range) over one-handers (damage, knockback, using a tool), but does that change at all when I start getting, say, guns?
Pronouns: she/her/hers or they/them please.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:48 am UTC

Necro but I got this game a little while ago. It's pretty fun. As far as weapons, basically 1h is better than 2 because you WILL want a shield. You could dual wield for uber damage, but eh. Melee seems to work better for me than guns. However, for bosses I have a rocket launcher, then switch back to shield while energy recharges, then rocket...

The one drawback I see are the damn quests. "Go to floran temple and being me a stone". Ok, fine, but I have to search 100 planets to find one. Could use a map or something that tells you "hey, Apex research facility here".

Return to “Gaming”