Dark Souls 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Re: Dark Souls 2

Postby Gelsamel » Thu May 15, 2014 5:04 am UTC

The window for ripostes after parries is big enough to switch to any weapon and use it for the riposte. Lots of people use malformed skull for that.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 15, 2014 3:33 pm UTC

Wheeeee! Or more accurately.... sccraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaape.

Current SL - 99.

Spoiler:
So, I found the old king.. I guess.. got his ring and after talking to LevelUp Chick again, shot Mr. King in the face and had an instant wall of fog appear. That was... weird. But I guess I'll be back later to harvest his soul and take over the very important job of getting moss off the floor.

Wandered down the King's Passage and found some twins and killed them and... there's a door way over there, no obvious way to get to it.

Went to the King's Door in Cardinal Tower, only thing of real note is the giant tree where Alas, nothing happened.

....I need to try the door in the pit again, I may have the key for it now. Been a while since I tried.

Went through the funhouse of monstrosities, up to the Dragon's area and past that to the Shrine. Where Jackass McSpinny Slammer basically Loki's me to death. Good lord, giants two-hand slamming giant lumps shouldn't be able to move that fast!

I think that's the only set of Kings Doors I know about - the one in the hallway that I opened and killed the twins (and it looks like there's one on the island)

The one in Cardinal Tower that goes nowhere and does nothing of interest right now.

The one in Shaded Woods that leads to the Dragon Shrine.

It feels like I'm forgetting one. Am I? That's my only real question - am I missing a King's Door that I passed somewhere and forgot about?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Thu May 15, 2014 9:33 pm UTC

Re: Sign of the King Doors

Spoiler:
Nah, those are the 3 of em. You're good to go play with dragons and gem lizards.

The wall smash is a lovely random moment. That treasure in the corner is good bait.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri May 16, 2014 4:57 am UTC

So does sorcery suck, was I sorcering wrong, or is this one of those games where magic users don't get good until late game? I tried starting with a magic user, but the stringent limits on number of casts and lackluster damage output from the spells moved me to try a dual wielding swordsman. He's just...so much better. Like, to a ridonk degree.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri May 16, 2014 5:44 am UTC

Magic of any kind (Sorcery, Pyromancy, Miracles, or Hexes) destroys everything in Dark Souls 2. You get herbs that restore your casts. You need to jack your relevant stat, though, and maybe save a few of your casts for appropriate enemies. You also need to find a good weapon that you need to upgrade. In order of importance: Upgrade your casting implement, get some good spells, and invest heavily in your cast stat.

They might be a little less powerful early game in terms of raw damage output (they're no powerstanced maces), but that isn't true even early mid game. Just remember what you're gaining from it: Being completely and absolutely safe from everything ever and never having to worry about blocking or dodging or health or anything like that, just run away and pew pew pew until you win.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri May 16, 2014 12:37 pm UTC

Well you're never completely safe, and you do still need to know how to dodge and block, but more often than not you can unload a huge amount of damage before the enemy can get close to you.

Also having a decent weapon that you can melee with is really helpful. Whether it be the Fire Longsword +3 you can pick up early, or a weapon you imbue with Faintstone, it's nice to not have to rely only on magic and amber herbs. That's usually how I play it because it doesn't completely take the fun out of it for me, like a pure spell caster does. Plus it lets you fight things that are very resistant to magic (Minotaurs) without using everything you have.

Also binoculars are your friend. Use those to aim your spells outside of lock range.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 16, 2014 3:31 pm UTC

I should probably figure out where the binoculars are.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri May 16, 2014 3:37 pm UTC

Binoculars:

Spoiler:
As you enter Majula from Things Betwixt, search for a ledge to drop off of on your right. There's a few useful things there.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 16, 2014 4:13 pm UTC

... ah. I saw a "Try jumping" message, looked around for a moment and didn't see anything.

Thought it seems .. at least on the ps3.. there's a lot less "Try Jumping" messages to get you to fling yourself to your death, and a hell of a lot of "Illusionary Wall" messages to get you to... I dunno, faceplant in a wall for a minute?

Perhaps I should start correcting that.

I miss that from Demon's Souls. It worked ONE TIME... so you try it every time. And die.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Fri May 16, 2014 6:17 pm UTC

Pyromancy is really strong too, I've done 2k+ damage to a single enemy with it using the various pillars of fire, and I'm specc'd out as a fast tank... not really buffing spell/pyro stats.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri May 16, 2014 7:00 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:So does sorcery suck, was I sorcering wrong, or is this one of those games where magic users don't get good until late game? I tried starting with a magic user, but the stringent limits on number of casts and lackluster damage output from the spells moved me to try a dual wielding swordsman. He's just...so much better. Like, to a ridonk degree.

Sorcery is great. Early on(like by second bonfire after Majula) you can get specced up to 60 casts of soul arrow. That's easily enough to blast your way through every enemy between wherever you are and the next bonfire. Later on you get stronger spells with fewer casts, so have to balance things more. Either way, sorcery was freaking easy mode early on.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 19, 2014 4:21 am UTC

I'm missing bonfires.

Spoiler:
An entire zone between Sinner's Rise and the Huntsmans Copse.

One in the Black Gultch.

Two in Drangelic Castle

I have, however,

Spoiler:
Gone in to three giant dreams and gotten three souls that stack. Weird.

In addition,
Spoiler:
The queen is gone, and appears to be in the Thone of Want. The King barely takes any damage from me.

Reading item descriptions...

Spoiler:
Giant souls somehow help me fight the king? How many do I need? Do I use them when I fight him, as that seems...nonobvious

At any rate, I guess my question is...

Spoiler:
King or Queen?

Koa

Postby Koa » Mon May 19, 2014 9:28 am UTC

@ST.
Spoiler:
The king is an optional boss that has reduced defense depending on how many giant souls you have in your inventory. Do not consume them, else you're screwed. He has 32x defense and each soul reduces it by a factor of 2. 5 souls is maximum, but 3 is very doable. The other two souls are kind of rough to get since they don't involve the memories. Fighting him doesn't affect the story like you might think. You're putting him out of his misery and getting his stuff.

Throne of Want is where you progress. There's no harm in progressing as the story is linear and the game doesn't completely end. After the credits roll you're back in Majula and can do the stuff you missed. NG+ is accessed at the Majula bonfire.

Also, the bonfires
Spoiler:
"An entire zone between Sinner's Rise and the Huntsmans Copse."
Go through the bell tower in Lost Bastille (down the ladder from the room with the Servant's Quarter bonfire). The bonfire is a little ways ahead. It's not hidden, you can't miss it... unless you die.
"One in the Black Gultch."
Follow the cliff edge on the right going to the rotten boss. At the very end there's a small path with the bonfire. The 4th giant soul can be found if you peek over the cliff edge at a certain spot as well. You'll see an item goading you.
"Two in Drangelic Castle"
One is a well hidden illusory wall just before where the queen awaited you and before the Twin Dragonriders. Go down one ladder to a small ledge, and the room is hidden there. A second ladder leads down further to a chest.
The other is in the room with the 6 sentinels behind 6 doors. The last one on the left.
Last edited by Koa on Mon May 19, 2014 12:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Mon May 19, 2014 12:26 pm UTC

I deleted my old sorcerer and made a new one, this time assisted a bit by both experience and a brief glance at a couple guides and holy crap, I was sorcering wrong. With Long Sword of Flame, a 100% block shield available early game, and a healing miracle in the third attunement slot I have a LOT more staying power than I did before. Spells still have shit for damage, but I haven't gotten to the sorc merchant yet, so that might be the hold up. I should make that my next priority.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 19, 2014 7:40 pm UTC

Koa wrote:Also, the bonfires (First point)
Spoiler:
"An entire zone between Sinner's Rise and the Huntsmans Copse."
Go through the bell tower in Lost Bastille (down the ladder from the room with the Servant's Quarter bonfire). The bonfire is a little ways ahead. It's not hidden, you can't miss it... unless you die.

Spoiler:
I'll have you know that I didn't find the first bonfire in the Fire Tower until.. like, two nights ago. The one that's right off the path. Visible when you enter the place.

I can totally miss it.

Koa wrote:(Last point)
Spoiler:
The other is in the room with the 6 sentinels behind 6 doors. The last one on the left.

Spoiler:
....wait, so they put a bonfire by a bonfire?

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Tue May 20, 2014 12:54 am UTC

Yes dawg, they did.

Spoiler:
That bonfire in the pit behind the rune guardian is easy access to Dark Covenant stuff.

Also! said bonfire has a pretty cool armor set near it. The Faraam helm is great for caster sniping because it has a built in crosshair <3
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue May 20, 2014 1:04 am UTC

I was really hesitant to get this game for PS3 because I'm not a huge fan of the whole pvp invasion thing (I suck hard at it and take things personally), but I am glad about the steps they took to let you reduce your chances of getting invaded. (I've only gotten invaded twice and I'm on my way to grab the third magical macguffin)
I'm one for two on invasions so far. I don't think the second guy was expecting me to
A. Survive his backstab.
B. Move as fast as I did with the armor and big ass sword and shield that I had.

The first guy smoked me with a poison cloud. I have no excuse.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 20, 2014 4:05 am UTC

I played both Demons and Dark mostly in Hollow the first time. Second time, I tried to be alive as much as possible and .... Invasions are fun. Yes, they're rage inducing, but they keep you on your toes like crazy.

And this one, with it's NPC "I don't give a fuck if you're superhollow AND you done killed the boss, I'm invading" events?

terrifying. And good. So good. And scary.

(In other news, I popped Dragon's Dogma in for an hour. Feels like a carnival fun ride. For kids)

Koa

Postby Koa » Tue May 20, 2014 12:59 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I can totally miss it.
Heh, I was more suggesting that you have to face a trial before you can access it. It's in the middle of the path though, zero tricks to it. I was trying to be a vague guiding spirit instead of telling you everything outright, because if you wanted that information I'm sure you would simply check a wiki. Same with the other bonfire, it has a purpose that I wanted you to find for yourself.

But yeah, generally the bonfire placement in this game is somewhat poor and nonsensical. It's always slightly irritating trading in boss souls. It's outlined in the video I linked on page 1 of this thread when you're ready to watch that.
Last edited by Koa on Tue May 20, 2014 1:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 20, 2014 1:06 pm UTC

I'm just assuming the whole thing is a dying hallucination. The terrain making no sense makes sense then.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue May 20, 2014 1:18 pm UTC

I'm not exactly sure what they were thinking when they designed the world. Some of the levels are far more linear than you would expect. Sure there's some surprises, but nothing even comes close to the level design of Blighttown or Anor Londo. Also, can someone explain to me what the heck is going on with the Iron Keep? You go UP into a magma filled fortress?

Koa

Postby Koa » Tue May 20, 2014 1:26 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I'm just assuming the whole thing is a dying hallucination. The terrain making no sense makes sense then.
It would echo my points about the series slowly dying itself. I actually do have some reserved hope for Project Beast though. Not to sound like a fanboy, because I'm very much not, but if Miyazaki is working on it I think it would have a lot of promise. Even failing to live up to that promise would be interesting to me.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 20, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:I'm not exactly sure what they were thinking when they designed the world. Some of the levels are far more linear than you would expect. Sure there's some surprises, but nothing even comes close to the level design of Blighttown or Anor Londo. Also, can someone explain to me what the heck is going on with the Iron Keep? You go UP into a magma filled fortress?

It would make perfect sense if Harvest Valley looked up to Earthen Peak, a windmill built in the side of a mountain, and then Earthen Peak took you up to a caldera. An active volcano's caldera.

The mountain appears to be invisible, however. Troubling, that.

Really, given the disjointed nature, this kinda seems more like Demon's Souls 2. Enjoyable, yes, but not cohesive.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:55 pm UTC

I kind of like the nonsensical dreamscape type of terrain. I think it fits the game well.

Also, I've been watching Day9 do a "Let's Play" and it's been pretty fun. Starts here, if anyone is interested. His LP of the first Dark Souls is what got me into the series.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 20, 2014 5:27 pm UTC

It does fit the "Time runs funny here" thing. I will give it that. Especially..
Spoiler:
with Benhart of Jugo being in Orro's Memory and summonable in Jeigh's Memory. The fuck was up with that?

Koa

Postby Koa » Tue May 20, 2014 7:15 pm UTC

Well, here's a picture of how that (earthen peak to iron keep) connection looks in a map viewer. And if you look at other areas, they even overlap each other. Aldia's Keep intersects with two other locations I believe. They spatially exist inside each other in a tangled mess. Dark souls 1 is not only properly cohesive, but represents the design of a massive kiln. I suppose you could say that Dark souls 2 is meant to be disjointed, but I think if that were the case they could have maybe done more with the concept. Make it visually obvious that the world is disjointed with an Escher moment or something. Or maybe have an environment piece that would be expected from another zone, and even have it subtly fade in and out like other players do.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Thu May 22, 2014 5:47 pm UTC

Is there something in the game that makes you run uber fast, even in water? I was doing the Rat Covenant stuff the other night, and summoned a guy that ran through the water faster than I do on land. The water did seem to slow him down minutely, but it was hard to tell since it was Door of Pharros, and that's mostly water.

He just kinda ran circles, pulled everything in the main room, never attacked anything, and eventually ran to a corner and disconnected. It was bizarre.

I feel like there is a lot more content that is easy to miss in this game than other Souls games. It feels more open in general, so I constantly worry that I'm missing areas or not going the right way. That could also be because of how Demon's Souls was designed, you didn't have that worry, and I went through Dark Souls with a list that basically said "Do this area, then this area, then here" and I don't have that for this one.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu May 22, 2014 5:51 pm UTC

There is a glitch involving rolling and using the binoculars to give you a short burst of super speed, although I'm not sure that's what that was. What you're describing to me sounds like lag or latency issues.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri May 23, 2014 8:17 am UTC

Yeah if some dude was running super fast, even in water, it was probably the bino speed glitch.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri May 23, 2014 12:34 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:I feel like there is a lot more content that is easy to miss in this game than other Souls games. It feels more open in general, so I constantly worry that I'm missing areas or not going the right way. That could also be because of how Demon's Souls was designed, you didn't have that worry, and I went through Dark Souls with a list that basically said "Do this area, then this area, then here" and I don't have that for this one.

You can certainly make all kinds of choices on which way you go and none of them is really wrong or right, they'll all eventually lead you to the right way. You're really not bound by anything as far as area choices go until you have to go through King's Doors. In Dark Souls 1, you were fairly limited by needing the Lord Vessel to open up areas, but there was still a lot of variety. Dark Souls 2 is significantly bigger than Dark Souls 1 though.
Last edited by Mishrak on Fri May 23, 2014 3:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri May 23, 2014 3:46 pm UTC

Things I've learned from Dark Souls 2 PvP: just because a sword looks three feet long doesn't mean it isn't actually eight feet long.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri May 23, 2014 4:08 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:
You can certainly make all kinds of choices on which way you go and none of them is really wrong or right, they'll all eventually lead you to the right way. You're really not bound by anything as far as area choices go until you have to go through King's Doors. In Dark Souls 1, you were fairly limited by needing the Lord Vessel to open up areas, but there was still a lot of variety. Dark Souls 2 is significantly bigger than Dark Souls 1 though.

Really? It has felt smaller to me. But then, I've only just passed the Shrine.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri May 23, 2014 4:15 pm UTC

Some of the individual areas a lot smaller, and more linear, but as a whole, the game is bigger. Dark Souls 1 felt bigger than it probably was because the areas were really creatively designed.

Koa

Postby Koa » Fri May 23, 2014 5:47 pm UTC

To extrapolate that, having spent a while looking at the maps, it's hard for me to say that one game world is bigger than the other given that it depends on how you define size. DS1 has much more verticality to it ("creative"), but a lot of that verticality can't be traveled due to only being able to fall and move on a plane. So it would seem like DS1 is smaller in that sense due to DS2 better fits your capability of movement and is more flat and sprawling ("linear"). If one were to judge the total size of the worlds of both games as their area in 3 dimensions, I think they would be too similar to estimate one as larger than the other. As to how it feels, it depends on how much you value all of the actual space that you can't traverse in DS1 because you're not a spaceshipORSOYOUTHINK, along with (though more minor and technically vague due to design intentions) a lot of the illusion of space in DS2.

So... roughly similar size expressed differently. Most would probably say DS2 is bigger though.

Decker

Postby Decker » Sat May 24, 2014 12:39 am UTC

One of the things I did like about the first Dark Souls is being able to see later portions of the game from the beginning, something I haven't really noticed as much with Dark Souls 2. From Firelink, you can see down into the swamp, if you get the right angle. From the Undead Burg, you can see the Undead Parish and the Lower Undead Burg. Dark Souls 2 might be more linear and sprawling, but that kind of took away from the "I'm going to go to that tower on the horizon" effect.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat May 24, 2014 3:15 am UTC

Decker wrote:One of the things I did like about the first Dark Souls is being able to see later portions of the game from the beginning, something I haven't really noticed as much with Dark Souls 2. From Firelink, you can see down into the swamp, if you get the right angle. From the Undead Burg, you can see the Undead Parish and the Lower Undead Burg. Dark Souls 2 might be more linear and sprawling, but that kind of took away from the "I'm going to go to that tower on the horizon" effect.

When you first go to the castle, you wander this path and hit a tunnel in the hillside... And 200 feet later pop out at the top of a mountain, facing taller mountains and a castle, and you're left thinking "the fuck just happened!"

Also, storming. Wasn't before.

Further proof the whole thing is a hallucination.

And, dude.. From Firelink you can see the tree leading to Ash Lake.

Decker

Postby Decker » Sat May 24, 2014 5:04 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Decker wrote:One of the things I did like about the first Dark Souls is being able to see later portions of the game from the beginning, something I haven't really noticed as much with Dark Souls 2. From Firelink, you can see down into the swamp, if you get the right angle. From the Undead Burg, you can see the Undead Parish and the Lower Undead Burg. Dark Souls 2 might be more linear and sprawling, but that kind of took away from the "I'm going to go to that tower on the horizon" effect.

When you first go to the castle, you wander this path and hit a tunnel in the hillside... And 200 feet later pop out at the top of a mountain, facing taller mountains and a castle, and you're left thinking "the fuck just happened!"

For me it it was the Tower of Flame and the Blue Cathedral. Start in Majula. Go in a tunnel and down some stairs and it's like I'm in a complete different world. Whole huge ruined city that...I couldn't see from a few hundred feet away? I mean I realize there was kind of a hill in the way, but wow.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Sat May 24, 2014 6:18 am UTC

Dark Souls has achieved a new level of difficulty. Game locked up on a loading screen and I had to power down my pc. Now it won't load up the OS. Hats of, Dark Souls, I didn't see that coming.

Also, these fora aren't very mobile friendly.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Koa

Postby Koa » Sun May 25, 2014 2:29 am UTC

Decker wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:

For me it it was the Tower of Flame and the Blue Cathedral. Start in Majula. Go in a tunnel and down some stairs and it's like I'm in a complete different world. Whole huge ruined city that...I couldn't see from a few hundred feet away? I mean I realize there was kind of a hill in the way, but wow.

WORLD 1-2

HOLLOW x rightthefucknow

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue May 27, 2014 12:52 pm UTC

So I just picked this up. Any starting suggestions/hints? Probably going to use a sorceror character, since I enjoyed that the most in dark souls 1.

Return to “Gaming”