Hearthstone

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Tyndmyr

Re: Hearthstone

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:16 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:The card advantage thing is a good point, though without clerics I don't think the priest ability is very good at it - outside of spells that hit everything/random targets, most people don't start hurting a minion until they can kill it in one turn. I suppose swinging with a minion and then healing it can help.

It's nice, yeah, especially in conjunction with the ability to boost health, as some of their cards have. I will trade unfavorably to kill a priest asap, though. If one is on the table, I go to great length to either kill it, or ensure that no minion can be injured without dying. This sometimes means not playing minions.

Mage is my best deck overall, though. I've got the archmage and rag in there, and either is such a significantly large threat that they HAVE to abandon everything to kill it. Sometimes games end before that point, though. I don't run pyroblast, as most games will be over before ten mana is relevant.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:35 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:an' yes, playing against a priest, de 1/3 card draw ting dies wid extreme prejudice. It matters a ton. If dey get a card draw combo a go, dey be likely a go to win. dis be also true for de hunter, but de 2/1 beast be particularly easy to kill.

A lot of decks can make Acolyte of Pain work really well as a card draw engine. It's nice in any class that has a 'deal 1 damage to everything' ability, and has a ton of synergy with other cards. I had a game yesterday where I played Acolyte of Pain as a Paladin then buffed it with Defender of Argus and Blessing of Kings. A 6/8 with taunt that draws a card whenever it takes damage is hard to deal with (and I think I knew my opponent had no direct removal, which made it safer).

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:03 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:Do you ever include minions based just on their stats? I find that I almost exclusively use minions with some sort of card text. The combo potential makes them seem more powerful, but I wonder if I'm underestimating cards that are simply good bang for the buck stat-wise.

Oh yes, the 4/5 yeti especially, I think he's the most useful creature in the game. While huge 5+ attack creatures are sexy when they work... most times they don't work. The most consistent game winners are creatures that can live more than one turn, and few classes can oneshot a 4/5 at turn 4... and if they do, your other late game minions are that much safer.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:18 pm UTC

I think the 4/5 Chillwind Yeti and the 6/7 Boulderfist Ogre are the only completely textless (and typeless) cards that're favoured in arena and/or played in viable constructed decks, and the Ogre is only really played in budget constructed stuff or the arena.

The Chillwind Yeti hits a lot of awesome sweet spots that make it an extremely good card in a huge number of decks: at 4/5 for 4 mana, it will trade 2 for 1 with every single minion that could've been cast on an earlier turn (3 or less mana) except the Magma Rager and Scarlet Crusader, and the majority of minions that could be cast on the same turn (4 mana); with 5 health it's not cleared by Flamestrike or Swipe, so is good against Mage and Druid; and with 4 attack, it's not cleared by Shadow Word Death or Shadow Word Pain, so is excellent against Priest*. And yet it's not a 'big threat', so often players won't spend their premium hard removal (polymorph, assassinate, hex, &c.) on it, and if they do you're not too upset, because that's a removal spell they can't use on your really big guys.

I can't actually think of any other textless, typeless cards, offhand. After a quick search, there are 3 others: Wisp (1/1 is frequently free to remove and rarely has an impact, so is basically instant card disadvantage in almost all decks), Magma Rager (5/1, again the 1 health makes it basically free to remove, or at least easy to find a beneficial trade, for the majority of opponents), War Golem (7/7 is fine, but the Boulderfist Ogre is basically just as good for the role at 6/7 for one less mana).

*My favourite thing to do against control-ish Priest players is to find a way to get a load of 4 attack minions down, so the Priest's best removal cards are all dead.

EDIT (because otherwise double post): This Paladin arena was pretty crazy. Almost nothing but Hunters and Paladins - fortunately my deck was excellent against most Hunters, because I had two Guardian of Kings for lifegain and two Avenging Wraths for board clear. I probably missed a win somewhere - the final game against the Mage was pretty close.

faranim

Postby faranim » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:59 pm UTC

Hearthstone is now available on iOS (iPad, not sure if also iPhone).

You get a free booster pack just for playing a game on an iOS device.

It's a little slow on my iPad 2, but definitely still playable. I just started playing on the PC last week, so I'm still working on getting all of the characters to level 10 and learning a bit about how each of their decks are played.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:09 pm UTC

faranim wrote:Hearthstone is now available on iOS (iPad, not sure if also iPhone).

You get a free booster pack just for playing a game on an iOS device.

It's a little slow on my iPad 2, but definitely still playable. I just started playing on the PC last week, so I'm still working on getting all of the characters to level 10 and learning a bit about how each of their decks are played.

Been playing on my ipad for the last few weeks (hooray for advanced Canada Apple Store release) and it is very well done for the ipad. I also have an ipad 2 and its still easily playable. The interface is very smooth and hardly very different from the PC interface. Touch controls works fantastically for this game.

Overall I've still only been playing enough to finish dailies and then do arena runs. I'm getting better, but still not often getting more than 4 wins. Still its more fun than constructed play so I keep doing it and slowly building my collection. Had one legendary ("The Beast") which I disenchanted so I could make some cards for the decks I need to finish dailies with. Also got pretty lucky last week with one of the 100 gp dailies and a 60 gp daily. Sitting at around 300g which means at least 2 arena matches when I have some spare time.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:19 pm UTC

I normally just use arena for my dailies unless I get a really unlucky streak of champion options that don't mesh with the dailies I have active.

The only legendaries I have are The Beast, Tinkmaster Overspark and the golden Gelbin Mekkatorque from buying a pack in beta (which I did purely to get the card), which aren't very useful.

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:51 pm UTC

Sweet, just got Grom Hellscream in a pack.

It's interesting how many people waste weapon swings for a piddling 2 or 3 damage to the opponent rather than use them to clear out minions and get card advantage.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:22 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:Sweet, just got Grom Hellscream in a pack.

It's interesting how many people waste weapon swings for a piddling 2 or 3 damage to the opponent rather than use them to clear out minions and get card advantage.

Yeah. Though I had a Warrior arena run the other day with 3 Arcanite reapers and 2 Flaming War Axes. At that point throwing them at the opponent can be kinda useful. 2 Arcanite reapers in hand is 20 damage to the face. I realized it was more efficient to use my creatures to clear the board and my axe to kill the opponent.

Weapons do have that whole downside of you taking damage when hitting creatures though. Not always a great tradeoff, especially for low toughness high damage creatures.

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:34 pm UTC

Oh yeah, it makes sense when a weapon is doing 5+ damage or you have a ton of them (no big deal to constantly use knives as rogue). But I've seen warriors play and swing with flaming war axe on their very first turn.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:49 pm UTC

They could have axe axe arcanite arcanite upgrade greenskin in hand.

A problem that bother me with this game is the inability to have decks of different power levels.

I have a "strong" warlock deck (focused around summoning portal) that's worth somewhere between rank 9 and rank 6. If I play it at high ranks I'm going to stomp them into the ground and that's not fun for anyone.

My other decks are not nearly as good and I would value somewhere between 20-12. So if I use my other decks at the warlock ranks I'm going to lose all the time, which is not fun, and if I use my warlock decks at low ranks I'm going to win all the time, which is not fun either (if good for quests).

And "casual" has the same problem, as I'm matched with people that clearly have complete collections (rag cairne leeroy sometimes thalnos seen very often). So the weaker decks get stomped there.

Yubtzock

Postby Yubtzock » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:56 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:Oh yeah, it makes sense when a weapon is doing 5+ damage or you have a ton of them (no big deal to constantly use knives as rogue). But I've seen warriors play and swing with flaming war axe on their very first turn.

Some people play miracle rogue and as they are essentially waiting for turns 5-7 and as they basically have a full deck equipped for a combo that plays out in 1-3 turns, they actually have nothing to do before that, except maybe burn some removal to survive. Plus you kinda need those few potshots as a miracle rogue as most of such decks have less than 30 damage in said combo (20~24 actually) and there is nothing better to do with your mana. It isn't much different with non-basic knives as assasin's blade is 3-4 and you are likely to use blade flurry at some point

I'm running miracle-ish rogue for rogue dailies. Well I do have Gadzetzan Auctioneers in there, but only arcane golem instead of leeroy as I dont have him... or eviscerate or second cold blood... yeah really hard to pull a miracle with that but I did manage to get good effects with it. You can basically feel the lack of oomph though - I had pretty interesting match:
Clearly a control Warrior so I play my removal game until I get auctioneer.
Then he taunts up, so I burn trough my removal as I don't draw assasinate.
then we exchange some hits, and he drops deathwing.
I desperately drop second GA and sap the bastard, then - shadowstep GA in hopes of getting Assasinate for the next turn...
I ran trough my whole deck on the next turn - assasinate was my last card, I also dropped some damage - luckily he decided to play some other card first.
I was on 7 health, he drops the DW, assasinate, I set up for lethal, end turn with him on 4 hp, aaaaand he draws gourhaul gorehowl. GG - Eviscerate where art thou. :D

faranim

Postby faranim » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:29 pm UTC

So, I had a funny game against the AI Priest the other day.

He had 3 of those annoying 1/3 cleric things that let you draw a card when a minion gets healed.
And he also had 2 of some sort of necromancer that lets you draw a card when he gets damaged.

With such a huge card advantage, he was able to easily clear my board of creatures.

But, He had nothing that hit hard, and towards the end of the game, his deck ran out. But he continued to heal his own minions to draw cards, which would result in a loss of more and more life. He still managed to kill me (since I was topdecking and had no creatures out), but he basically went from 30 life down to 2 purely from deck exhaustion (1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7) in about 2 turns.

I'm curious if the AI would have killed himself by healing a minion if I hadn't otherwise lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:12 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:My other decks are not nearly as good and I would value somewhere between 20-12. So if I use my other decks at the warlock ranks I'm going to lose all the time, which is not fun, and if I use my warlock decks at low ranks I'm going to win all the time, which is not fun either (if good for quests).

And "casual" has the same problem, as I'm matched with people that clearly have complete collections (rag cairne leeroy sometimes thalnos seen very often). So the weaker decks get stomped there.

Unless a deck is totally awful, I think you can get to rank 12 or so with pretty much anything. Above that, you start needing something vaguely viable. I've been playing mostly Warlock zoo variants recently in constructed, because I don't like the way Hunter works and I don't have the cards to build many other decks. Warlock zoo is pretty boring to play, though - the choices are normally straightforward, you just drop as many creatures as you can and swing for the face unless you can get good value trades. I've noticed as you get to higher ranks an increasing number of people are playing decks which specifically counter the super-aggro meta. I might try my hand at building one of those soon.

I think the problem with casual is that a lot of good players use it to do dailies with silly decks, which tanks their ratings and means you end up playing against the same players when they decide to play their good stuff.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:58 am UTC

I find I can get to around Rank 10 with moderate decks, and can usually make it to around rank 5 or 6 with one of my homebrew semi-rush variants. Any higher than that just seems really time-consuming and difficult, though - the lack of bonus stars combined with the sheer power of the decks you'll be up against makes it really tough to progress past that point. I can't even netdeck thanks to my lack of good legendaries, so I doubt I'll be making legend any time soon.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:15 am UTC

Yeah, while I know it's possible to get to legend with free to play decks if you play nearly perfectly, I don't really want to put in that much time and effort, so I mostly play arena. I feel like I'm missing out on some of the interesting synergies available in the game in arena, but it feels like a much more even playing field. Once I have a couple of useful legendaries (or maybe even when I have enough dust to craft a couple) I might start taking constructed more seriously. I'm really looking forward to Naxxramas being released, and I'm hoping I'll have good enough cards to be able to try some deckbuilding with the new cards by the time it come out.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:29 am UTC

I realized the other day I had enough dust to craft my one missing murloc, and got old one-eye. Now that I have at least one of every murloc, I've been trying out the murloc deck in normals, and not doing as well as I like. What's the strategy that I'm missing? Do you just carry enough murlocs for the combo, or load up on all of them and play nothing but murlocs? I do make sure to take the removal spells on the classes I've tried it on (warlock most, then druid, then priest for the lulz), but the lack of beefier trade minions after the first few turns hurts without wasting the health buff murlocs.

I do look forward to the day I face another murloc deck and can drop old one-eye for silly damage.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:37 pm UTC

The idea of Warlock Murloc (the strongest Murloc deck) is to be aggressive. You're not looking for trades, just to get the opponent's health to zero. That means using throwing 2 of every good murloc (which is I think every murloc except for Coldlight Oracle), some finishers (Leeroy Jenkins, Power Overwhelming, Soulfire) and finishing off with some low-cost high power minions (like Flame Imp). When playing, you just play as many of them as you can and attack the face, life tapping if you happen to have any leftover mana and using the Warleader to make your board unstoppable, only using the finishers when it's guaranteed to bring their health to zero (or, in extreme circumstances, to kill a beefy creature with taunt). It's a very strong deck, just one that's more based on luck of the draw than skill.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:33 pm UTC

So I opened my third legendary in a pack today. It was Lorewalker Cho. The two I have are The Beast and Tinkmaster Overspark, so I kinda expect the next one I get to be Millhouse Manastorm so I can get a complete set of the most useless legendaries...

Fortunately, the the non-legendary cards I opened (from 3 packs) were almost all decent cards I didn't have already. I got my second Doomguard, which means I'm only a couple of cards away from a complete Warlock Zoo deck (I've been playing with a lot of substitute cards up to now), which is pretty cool. Missing the Leeroy, obviously, but I'll just chuck in a Succubus or something instead.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:28 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:Oh yeah, it makes sense when a weapon is doing 5+ damage or you have a ton of them (no big deal to constantly use knives as rogue). But I've seen warriors play and swing with flaming war axe on their very first turn.

May as well. Lots of people run the ooze, which owns your weapon. Having only one swing left on it risks less than leaving two, and if you draw into a better weapon, it's a waste to have held both swings back.

Up to rank 11 with a mage deck, still missing a few cards, but feeling decent about this round. Figure I should be able to climb a few higher before end of season. Only pack I've bought so far was for the promo card, but certain legendaries totally do matter. Got Rag from dust, and he's an auto-include in most decks. Do need Sylvanus, though.

SirBryghtside wrote:The idea of Warlock Murloc (the strongest Murloc deck) is to be aggressive. You're not looking for trades, just to get the opponent's health to zero. That means using throwing 2 of every good murloc (which is I think every murloc except for Coldlight Oracle), some finishers (Leeroy Jenkins, Power Overwhelming, Soulfire) and finishing off with some low-cost high power minions (like Flame Imp). When playing, you just play as many of them as you can and attack the face, life tapping if you happen to have any leftover mana and using the Warleader to make your board unstoppable, only using the finishers when it's guaranteed to bring their health to zero (or, in extreme circumstances, to kill a beefy creature with taunt). It's a very strong deck, just one that's more based on luck of the draw than skill.

My murlock deck even uses coldlight. This is partially because of lack of murlocks, but also because I tend to play my hand dry VERY swiftly, and even with the warlock ability, sometimes still need additional cards.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:53 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:

May as well. Lots of people run the ooze, which owns your weapon. Having only one swing left on it risks less than leaving two, and if you draw into a better weapon, it's a waste to have held both swings back.
Turn one war axe attack is rarely a good play. Unless you're playing a really aggressive deck, that two damage is unlikely to matter, and the possibility of gaining board control is far more valuable. While Ooze is a very real threat, consider that an equally common card in decks is Earthen Ring Farseer - a card which gains value when you're down a few life.

In any case, I don't really see a situation where coining a War Axe turn one on an empty board really makes sense. If you do, then you should have a 2-drop in hand to play next turn - but unless that card is a Bloodsail Raider, it makes far more sense to throw out the creature first.

SirBryghtside wrote:The idea of Warlock Murloc (the strongest Murloc deck) is to be aggressive. You're not looking for trades, just to get the opponent's health to zero. That means using throwing 2 of every good murloc (which is I think every murloc except for Coldlight Oracle), some finishers (Leeroy Jenkins, Power Overwhelming, Soulfire) and finishing off with some low-cost high power minions (like Flame Imp). When playing, you just play as many of them as you can and attack the face, life tapping if you happen to have any leftover mana and using the Warleader to make your board unstoppable, only using the finishers when it's guaranteed to bring their health to zero (or, in extreme circumstances, to kill a beefy creature with taunt). It's a very strong deck, just one that's more based on luck of the draw than skill.

My murlock deck even uses coldlight. This is partially because of lack of murlocks, but also because I tend to play my hand dry VERY swiftly, and even with the warlock ability, sometimes still need additional cards.

Fair enough, I haven't actually got all the cards to make a Murloc deck myself - just going on my experiences with other Warlock Aggro/playing against people who run it. Coldlight does make sense.
Last edited by SirBryghtside on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:23 pm UTC

Made a Priest copy deck. Not very efficient, but a lot of fun when I want some randomness. I do like that it doesn't cause you to deck yourself, since you're getting cards on top of your original 30.

Anyone else enjoy playing gimmick decks from time to time?

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:34 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:

Turn one war axe attack is rarely a good play. Unless you're playing a really aggressive deck, that two damage is unlikely to matter, and the possibility of gaining board control is far more valuable. While Ooze is a very real threat, consider that an equally common card in decks is Earthen Ring Farseer - a card which gains value when you're down a few life.

In any case, I don't really see a situation where coining a War Axe turn one on an empty board really makes sense. If you do, then you should have a 2-drop in hand to play next turn - but unless that card is a Bloodsail Raider, it makes far more sense to throw out the creature first.

That would be an odd thing to coin into if you have a two drop handy. You should *usually* do the two drop first, then worry about weapons later.

There are exceptions, like if my opponent is a priest and dropped that annoying 1/3. No point enabling his card draw engine. But overall...weapons aren't something you race to use right off the bat.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:07 pm UTC

If the opponent has dropped any 2/1 one-drop that can clear your 3/2 two-drop, coining the axe first can be reasonable, I think. You kill their 1-drop minion, and then if they play something else you can kill it with the axe before playing out your 2-drop. Playing the axe on second turn against an empty board is very strong if you have Dread Corsair in hand and the coin; coin axe first turn is also great if you have a Bloodsail Raider in hand, as SirBryghtside. I don't think I'd swing at the face in either of those cases unless I knew my deck/hand was stuffed with weapons, or I was going for some incredibly aggro face-damage Warrior deck.

EDIT: Seriously, fuck this EU server lag. I drafted an awesome Priest arena deck (Ysera, Sylvanas, a Temple Enforcer, a Cabal Shadow Priest, two Holy Novas, and a load of other goodies). I figured it was a good 9-10 win deck (it had the potential to lose to heavy aggro if I got a bad starting draw, even though I had 3 Holy Smites). Went 2-3 because I lost 2 matches from disconnects.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:42 pm UTC

I got to rank 14 with some casual play with a slightly modified Dr Draw deck. I decided to modify it even more though, after losing three games to fatigue with too much card draw, and not enough damage, and from losing two others to ysera/malygos with no easy way to clear them. The third time someone dropped ysera on me I mind controlled it and fun was had.

I've removed some of the card draw, and added in a couple of sergeants to deal with the more annoying 4 attack creatures. I'm still debating on whether to use any of the more cheesy priest tricks in ranked though, I've been avoiding lightspawns, health doubling and attack boosts, since they tend to rely on saving up for just the right combo instead of being more flexible.

I do enjoy having a greater than 50% win rate vs decks with legendaries, especially those with more than one. People drop them like they win games solo and are disappointed when raggy dies next turn, or gets mind controlled away. Not saying legendaries are easy to beat, but they are fairly well balanced. (except that priest with malygos, I mean really, 7 damage holy nova? gah)

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:53 pm UTC

Biliboy wrote: (except that priest with malygos, I mean really, 7 damage holy nova? gah)
more_like_holy_crap.jpg
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Kewangji wrote:I can solve nothing but I'd buy you chili ice cream if you were here, or some other incongruous sweet.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Sat May 03, 2014 7:23 pm UTC

Been having fun with rogue lately. I took my spell damage rogue deck, pared down some of the spellpower and added in some of the key 'miracle rogue' deck tricks. It may not win every time, but its some of the most complicated cardwork I've had to do yet, juggling combo cards and spells.

It sometimes takes me the full turn to make sure I don't drop a card in the wrong order and screw up my plan. Also, the card draw murlocs combined with shadowstep, to fill up your opponents hand, turns a 2 mana sap into a cheaper assassinate. I've managed to 'burn' 6 or more cards from my opponent's hand in one game, including legendaries.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Tue May 06, 2014 8:09 pm UTC

Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Kewangji wrote:I can solve nothing but I'd buy you chili ice cream if you were here, or some other incongruous sweet.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed May 07, 2014 7:06 pm UTC

Been playing this for a while (since it was still in Beta, I think). Just got a Ragnaros out of a pack :D, but it hasn't been doing as much in my deck as I would like it to.

I'm currently oscillating between 18 and 19 with a priest deck (built around inner fire), but typically get up to ~15ish by the end of the month.

Thank goodness.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Wed May 07, 2014 7:09 pm UTC

I'm still deciding what legendary to craft. Ysera is good, but so is Ragnaros, and those Malygos combos, and and and.
Am I gregnant

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Wed May 07, 2014 7:17 pm UTC

This might be the largest field and card advantage I have had.
Spoiler:

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Wed May 07, 2014 8:28 pm UTC

How do you get there without the opponent conceding?
Am I gregnant

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri May 09, 2014 3:58 pm UTC

Disenchanted mine. Not because they are bad at 3 mana...they're still playable, if not fantastic...but because I like dust, and they are commons, so I'll get more. Gotta take advantage of high dust availability.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri May 09, 2014 4:29 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:

Disenchanted mine. Not because they are bad at 3 mana...they're still playable, if not fantastic...but because I like dust, and they are commons, so I'll get more. Gotta take advantage of high dust availability.

You get bonuses for disenchanting things that change?

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Fri May 09, 2014 4:44 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:

You get bonuses for disenchanting things that change?

Normally the disenchant value is far lower than the enchant value, but after a change the values are the same for a while. So you could just recreate it later if you need it. (And since it is not an uncommon card in this case you might just get new ones before you need them from draws.)

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri May 09, 2014 5:10 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:Normally the disenchant value is far lower than the enchant value, but after a change the values are the same for a while. So you could just recreate it later if you need it. (And since it is not an uncommon card in this case you might just get new ones before you need them from draws.)

Oh that's a good way to handle changes to cards. I like it. Unlike MTG where if they errata a card and drastically change how it works, well its purely up to the secondary market on how to deal with that (coughTimeVaultcough).

faranim

Postby faranim » Fri May 09, 2014 5:28 pm UTC

My only real complaint about Unleash the Hounds is the way it combos with the Buzzard. Even at 3 mana for Unleash, it's now a 5-mana combo for:

Summon X Minions with charge, and draw X Cards, where X is the number of minions the opponent has on the field.

The combo will still be the same, you just have to wait for Turn 5 instead of Turn 4.

I don't mind the Combo with the wolf that gives them +1/+0, or even the Hyena (because the Hyena doesn't have Charge, you get a turn to remove it either before or after the combo is played).

But being able to play Buzzard + Unleash, draw into a bunch of cards, and also (usually) clear the opponent's board using all the Hounds... it's just way too frustrating to always plan for and play against.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri May 09, 2014 5:45 pm UTC

faranim wrote:My only real complaint about Unleash the Hounds is the way it combos with the Buzzard. Even at 3 mana for Unleash, it's now a 5-mana combo for:

Summon X Minions with charge, and draw X Cards, where X is the number of minions the opponent has on the field.

The combo will still be the same, you just have to wait for Turn 5 instead of Turn 4.

I don't mind the Combo with the wolf that gives them +1/+0, or even the Hyena (because the Hyena doesn't have Charge, you get a turn to remove it either before or after the combo is played).

But being able to play Buzzard + Unleash, draw into a bunch of cards, and also (usually) clear the opponent's board using all the Hounds... it's just way too frustrating to always plan for and play against.

It delays the even worse Buzzard + Wolf + Unleash combo to at least turn 6 now. That combo on turn 5 was completely devastating.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri May 09, 2014 7:03 pm UTC

Indeed. It kind of made Hunter decks revolve around UtH, which is...not a healthy metagame. It needed the nerf(though hunter might need something elsewhere to compensate, as it is not overly strong now).

Still good, just not "well, crap, guess I lost this game".

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat May 10, 2014 11:59 am UTC

I always felt that UTH wasn't too bad in constructed - there were always ways of playing around it - but it made arena horrible to play. All of the combo pieces - Buzzard, Timber Wolf, Hyena and the Hounds themselves - are common or free, which made the combo relatively easy to pick out. So you had all these Hunters running around picking the cards that made their constructed decks tick, bringing a constructed-level combo that works better the more creatures that the opponent has in play to a creature-heavy format. And while I've only done around 3 or 4 arena runs since the patch, I definitely feel that the it's improved the mode by quite a margin.

Return to “Gaming”