Hearthstone

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Biliboy

Re: Hearthstone

Postby Biliboy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:26 am UTC

Imagine... you manage to get baron rivendare, two zombie chows and two leper gnomes on the field... then drop auchenai/circle of death. 28 damage to the face and the board is cleared.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:34 am UTC

Heroic Patchwerk and Grobbulus were both much harder than I thought they'd be. Thaddius seems like he'll be easier. Maybe.

EDIT: He was! And pretty fun too.
Spoiler:
I did it with Paladin and was surprised to not see it suggested in the Heroic guides on Hearthpwn. Humility/Equality/Blessing of Kings/Blessing of Might are all excellent. I also realized that Thaddius doesn't summon himself, so I was scared for nothing. :/
Gluth was also relatively easy.
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
rath358 wrote:manually adding a long list of swear words to my dictionary worked.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:00 pm UTC

Golden Leeroy. :D

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:42 pm UTC

pics or it didn't happen.
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
rath358 wrote:manually adding a long list of swear words to my dictionary worked.

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:54 pm UTC

I am insulted.
Spoiler:

A shame golden cards are only worth the basic card when disenchanted; I'd happily take two non-golden legendaries over the one gold.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:18 pm UTC

It would've been better if it was a legendary you didn't want. Golden Leeroy is still awesome though! Summons golden whelps.
Am I gregnant

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:33 am UTC

Finally got round to doing the heroics, weekly review:

Spoiler:
Pretty good this week - got a little frustrated on a couple, but that was ultimately because my deck construction was incorrect.

At first I tried to straight-up rush Patchwerk down with a dumb Shaman windfury deck on the pretense that he would never remove my Dust Devils or Flametongues, but the stars never aligned for me to beat him quickly enough - so I switched it up to a Mage deck that was pretty much 50% aggro, 50% freeze, and I got it first time. This was a pretty weird one in that it wasn't based on any RNG from the other end of the table, just pure deck construction and your luck of the draw. I found that kinda cool, but I didn't really appreciate the level of deck optimisation that had to go into it. Also felt a little bad because that was the first time I've used a kind of Freeze Mage in these challenges, but I feel okay because I never actually played Ice Block or Alexstraza to win - both of which are the primary reason I find that deck kind of cheap in Naxx.

I didn't really like Grobbulus, though I'm not sure if that was down to my method for going about him or not. I decided to use an Inner Fire combo Priest, and in the end the way I won was just by playing over and over again until I got really lucky with my draws and created a 16/16 Deathlord on turn 5. Seeing as he had nothing to deal with it, I just went face from that point onwards and won easily. I'd kinda like to work out a deck that does this more consistently, but I really was stuck on him and don't see how I'd build around that hero ability otherwise.

I messed up a little on Gluth at first - I decided to make a deck completely based around Shadowstepping Acidic Swamp Oozes to try and kill any Jaws that came up, with some light boardclear like Fan of Knives and Blade Flurry to 'synergise' with his Ghouls and destroy his board - which was all well and fine, but it didn't have anything to really clear up the bigger minions like Spectral Knight or really anything to finish him off at all. So I went back to the drawing board on this one and decided to go for pure value cards as the board control and the finisher - cards like the Kodo, Hogger, Black Knight, Assassin's Blade, and the Harrison Jones I somehow forgot to add in original version - and again, won first time with the revised deck.

And finally, I decided to test out how Thaddius was different with the Midrange Paladin deck I use for laddering, and won first time thanks to an early equality neutralising Feugen and Stalagg. This fight was a lot of fun thanks to the hero ability, but I can't help but feel like it could have been made more difficult - it felt like a walk in the park after the previous bosses, but I guess it made for a nice victory lap if that's what they were going for.

Also managed to get another 12 run with Mage (deck had 4 Water Elementals, was amazing) and used the dust I got from the 5 junk packs to craft the second Faceless Manipulator, almost finishing my collection of good epics (still need two Doomsayers, but I figured they're useless without Alexstraza) :D finally I can play Randuin!
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:57 pm UTC

I'm really enjoying the HyperX Invitational this weekend (link for VODs). Good games, good commentators, and great production values on the broadcast, plus it's broadcast live, unlike most online tournaments (which does result in a couple of minor technical issues, but is generally pretty awesome). I actually really like that the deck lists aren't revealed before the games - it means as a spectator you get the surprise and excitement from the draws of unexpected cards. I guess maybe it's slightly less useful if you're purely looking at it as a way to learn competitive Hearthstone play though.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:09 pm UTC

I've been watching that too, but I'm just never sure about Hearthstone tournaments (at least, not single elimination ones). It's such a luck-based game that none of the matches really seem like they're decided on in-game skill, meaning people pretty much just get kicked out on coin flips.

Still, it's fairly enjoyable.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:18 am UTC

There is a lot of luck in the game, but you also see a lot of very high-level plays in tournaments. Some of the things I've seen Amaz do in recent tournaments (mostly with Priest, but sometimes with other decks too) have showed an incredible amount of intelligence and game understanding. The combination of complex, yet highly efficient board control plays with knowing exactly when to allow/encourage the opponent to extend further onto the board I've seen in some games has been really impressive. I've certainly seen a number of plays I would never have thought of myself. Conversely, he lost a match in this tournament because of a misplay. Deck construction and selection is also a huge part of the game in tournament play, and that's not very luck-based at all.

Luck is a big factor though, and for someone like Amaz, who has won as much as he has of late at least in part because of very lucky plays with Sylvanas and Ragnaros, you'd expect a reversion to the mean to happen over time.

This tournament, at least, is double-elimination, but honestly I think just having a large number of tournaments and/or a fairly flat prize distribution is perfectly reasonable. Do something like the MtG model, and play swiss followed by a final 8 or final 4, and give everyone in the top 8 or 4 decent prizemoney.

EDIT: I also watched Brian Kibler's twitch VODs from the Sunshine Cup. I concluded that I'm a significantly better player than I thought I was. Both he and his opponents were making fairly obvious misplays, even in the late rounds of the tournament. There were a few awesome clever plays Kibler made, and he's a much, much better deckbuilder than me (I believe innovative deckbuilding is what he's known for in MtG too), but it did make me think that competing in a tournament could be really fun, and I probably wouldn't just be crushed in the first couple of rounds. I already have 3 viable decks - Shaman, Rogue and Priest (although they need a little twerking since I've not played constructed for nearly a month, pre-Naxx wing 4), and I've got almost all the cards I'd need for Hunter Midrange (which is pretty much required for tournament play right now), so if I learnt that I'd be good to go.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:40 pm UTC

Speaking of luck, http://www.twitch.tv/amazhs/c/5127905. Punish alll the mistakes.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:01 pm UTC

Double post because it's been a while.

Leeroy and Starving Buzzard got nerfs. Leeroy is 5 mana now, killing my one turn 18 damage pally deck. Buzzard is 5 mana for a 3/2 with the old text. Seems kind of a big nerf for hunter. I would expect to see 3 or 4 mana for that, not 5 (based on other conditional card draw cards like cult master and acolyte of pain).

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:02 am UTC

Yeah, it does sound like a really huge nerf. It seems like they're finally heeding the calls that card draw in the game is too cheap/overpowered. I wouldn't be surprised if Gadgetzan and possibly even Warlock hero power were nerfed at some point in the coming months (perhaps whenever the next expansion set hits). They stated that the Buzzard was nerfed as heavily as it was because it prevented them using a lot of the design space they wanted to explore for Hunter - any card that generated multiple cheap beasts became extremely overpowered unless Buzzard was very expensive. Leeroy I think was just played in far too high a proportion of all decks by their internal stats, and they don't like the concept of 15+ damage burst being a common thing.

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:46 am UTC

Does this mean it's time to salvage my Golden Leeroy?

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:21 pm UTC

They could've made Gadgetzan 6 mana, too.

I don't think Leeroy is that bad with the nerf, but I haven't played in ages so I wouldn't know anymore.
Am I gregnant

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:08 pm UTC

I don't actually play much hunter, but I still think it's a bit of an over-nerf. Decks with that kind of crazy card draw tend to rely on cheaper or weaker cards to pull the draw off. All of the minions with card draw are weaker than other minions of that cost. I've had good results with a paladin deck based on card draw minions, but that only worked because of cheap buffs like blessing of might.

Sure unleash+buzzard can get you 8 cards, but that's only if the opponent plays 8 minions vs a hunter (hint, not normally a good idea)

I'd rather see counterplay options, like a way to punish someone for drawing lots of cards. (yes rogues can sort of do that with sap/vanish, but it's a gimmicky deck). Perhaps a version of the knife thrower that works on card draw instead of minion play.

faranim

Postby faranim » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:09 pm UTC

I think the +1 mana cost on Leeroy is justified. It will still get used in decks.

The Starving Buzzard nerf seems huge. By the time you have 5 mana, it should be easy for any deck to remove a 2-health creature from the board.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:12 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:Does this mean it's time to salvage my Golden Leeroy?

Yes, yes it is. Not saying the new leeroy is terrible or anything, but...may as well get that sweet giant pile of dust while you can.

I agree that this is a harsh crippling to hunter decks, which already had unleash gimped. The buzzard is just going to die if you let it sit there unguarded, so you need a same turn combo to get any utility from it. The higher mana cost makes most combos prohibatively late game tricks, and further ensures that the buzzard will die horribly if left on the board to combo on the second turn.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:59 pm UTC

May I just point out btw that this is the second time Hunters get out of hand for Blizzard? It's like...did they not expect it? And never mind the other silly card draw decks like Miracle and warlock in general. This is all old stuff.
Am I gregnant

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:02 am UTC

Biliboy wrote:Sure unleash+buzzard can get you 8 cards, but that's only if the opponent plays 8 minions vs a hunter (hint, not normally a good idea).

The maximum number of minions you can have on the board is 7. Now, theoretically Buzzard + Unleash + Coin + Unleash (trading off all the hounds from the first Unleash before playing the second copy) against 7 minions could net you 12 cards, but you'd have to burn a few of them.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:38 pm UTC

I'm bumping this on the pretext of saying the new expansion looks awesome, but really because I want to brag about my first 12-win Priest arena! Yays!

I didn't realize how strong the deck was until I was at about 5-0 and winning every game comfortably. It was one of the more interesting/complicated arenas I've played. Between the Priest spells (Mind Vision, Shadow Madness, Power Word Shield) and the fact that I was able to keep 2-3 minions on the board almost all the time, I had a lot of decision making to do on most turns. I felt like I made a few really clutch plays too, like switching to beatdown once I was far enough ahead on the board, meaning the opponent's Ragnaros wasn't enough to regain control. My losses were to an insane tempo start from a Mage, and a Priest that slammed Ragnaros turn 8, and still took about 10 more turns to win (and would probably have lost if Rag had ever gone face instead of hitting my minions).

And between the arena prize and the pack, I got 610 gold, 2 golden rares, a golden common and an epic!

But yeah, Goblins vs Gnomes does look really cool, and it's going to change the game a lot - adding new decks, and changing up existing ones. I'm a little bit worried that it'll increase the entry barrier for new players, as the number of cards you need to build all the best decks increases, but I guess that's kinda inevitable. I really hope there's some love for non-miracle forms of Rogue. I miss playing Tempo Rogue - it's my first Legend deck and it'll always have a special place in my heart.

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:00 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:I'm a little bit worried that it'll increase the entry barrier for new players, as the number of cards you need to build all the best decks increases, but I guess that's kinda inevitable. I really hope there's some love for non-miracle forms of Rogue. I miss playing Tempo Rogue - it's my first Legend deck and it'll always have a special place in my heart.

It does annoy me a little, particularly as now I have to split between two different packs, since there are still a bunch of important legendaries I'm missing.
Although I'd be able to craft most of them if a balance update ever changes Hogger (golden and regular Hogger in one pack. Seriously.).

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:45 am UTC

I don't mind it too much, I'm probably going to get the GvG packs through Arena runs, then buy old Expert packs in the store with any leftover gold I have. I have 88 Expert cards remaining to collect, which are about an even split of rare/epic/legendary. GvG has 120 playable cards, but the majority will be common/rare, I assume, so say 220 cards required in total (with 2 of each non-legendary). I guess maybe that means I should just get GvG packs for a while? It's tricksy. It would be much easier if the Arena reward packs could be chosen, but if they're always going to be GvG, I don't want to be locked into opening way more GvG packs than regular packs once I've got most of the expansion cards, given I've still got so many of the old cards left to get.

I wonder how much people will save up for the release. Will GvG epics/legendaries be a frequent sighting from day 1, or will it take a while for most players to build them up?

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:21 am UTC

I'll expect some people to dump a load of money at the beginning (I'll probably buy a set of 30 decks; I've played Hearthstone more than many other games priced over £30 or whatever it is).
Some long time players might have enough dust to craft a number of legendaries too.

But I don't think I'll be facing many GvG legendary cards in the scrub ranks.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:46 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:(5 prize thingies)

So they fixed the Feature™ where you would get less gold for more wins, and you had to retire early for a maximum gold reward? That's encouraging.

I still think the darned thing needs a draft* mode to make it proper fun, though.

*Shared pool of cards to build your decks, and you take home the cards you pick.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:56 pm UTC

I'm playing a Druid arena with 2x Innervate, 2x Gadgetzan, 2x Power of the Wild, Claw, Wrath, Savage Roar and Nourish, plus an assortment of reasonable minions. The deck has been insane thus far - you get a Gadgetzan down on turn 5/6/7 and just combo off, Innervate into the removal/buff spells to clear the board while drawing for huge card and tempo advantage. It's working so well I'm actually wondering if Miracle Druid is viable in constructed play. If you don't draw the Gadgetzan you just play it as a standard ramp druid.

If you ever get 2+ Gadgetzans in a Druid arena, Innervates become the best card in existence. Pick them over literally any other card. It's the only situation where having multiple copies of Innervate isn't a bad thing. The more you get, the better (probably up to about 6 or so).

EDIT: My arenas in general have been incredible lately. I think I'm on something like an 8-win average since I started playing seriously again a couple of weeks ago. I'm only playing one arena a day, but that's still netting me something like 3 packs a day.

EDIT2: A second 12-win Priest arena in the same week as my first, plus I opened Tyrion Fordring, which got me pretty stoked. I probably have good enough cards for Control Paladin now (if that's ever viable again). Still more than 80 cards away from a full collection though.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:13 am UTC

Goblins and Gnomes cards are available to try in arena, plus you get one free arena run. I used mine, but I probably should have saved it for after the official release, depending on whether you can get gvg card packs from arena then. Anyone know how that's going to work?

Lots of interesting new cards, not just mech themed, but a few new pirates and murlocs as well, including an attempt to make shaman murloc viable.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am UTC

I believe arena will give only GvG packs after the official release - the only way to buy the original Expert packs will be to use the in-game shop. I've not spent any money on the game yet, but I might ask for a Battle.net gift card for Christmas.

I'm going to use my free arena today - I'm far more excited about playing arena with GvG cards than I am about actually collecting the cards (ever so slowly) in constructed. Plus, the general consensus seems to be that a lot of people who don't normally play arena are doing so at the moment because of the launch event, so it's way easier to get to high win numbers than it has been in the last few months. I'm hoping to get a few 10+ win arenas in before Monday, maybe even make enough of a profit so I can buy several GvG packs.

EDIT: My first GvG arena draft was one of my worst ever, and went 3-3. Got almost no minions at 5+ mana, and was constantly offered only terrible cards. I ended up taking the new windfury 1/4, despite it being obviously awful, for example.

I've got a decent-looking Priest draft now, though, and let me note that Force-Tank MAX plus Recombobulator is an insane combo. Almost every other 8-cost minion is a Legendary, and they all have passive effects when they're on the board (Ironbark has taunt, Gruul gets +1/+1 every turn, Grommash has charge, Al'Akir has charge, Tirion has the Ashbringer deathrattle, Kel'Thuzad resummons everything that died, Foe Reaper does damage to 3 minions at once, Sneed's Old Shredder summons a legendary as a deathrattle, and Ragnaros is Ragnaros). 8-cost is by far the best value for recombobulation, although maybe if you stick the Force Tank MAX you're likely to win anyway?

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:42 am UTC

Got my first 12 wins with the new cards last night - deck had pretty much everything you need for a priest deck (Dark Cultists, Cabal, Harvest Golems, Shadow Word: Death, Mind Control...) with bonus cool synergies Tinkertown and Mechwarper, plus a Kel'Thuzad just to bring it to god-tier - it was amazing :D really loving the feel of the new cards, and my favourite is definitely Recombobulator. Picked him in a mage draft, and I got 7 wins in the most hilarious ways possible - best moment was when I used him on a 4/1 Sunwalker, and out popped a gods damn Gallywix - he's like a better (and way more fun) Earthen Ring Farseer for 2 mana!

Really can't wait to use all these dudes in constructed, probably going to rock mech priest to start with.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:01 pm UTC

I agree Recombobulator is so much fun, and potentially really good. Used on a strong battlecry or damaged/silenced late-game minion, the value is incredible.

So far in GvG I think I've gone 3 wins, 10 wins, 8 wins, 5 wins, 7 wins and 7 wins. I've felt like a couple of those decks could've gone to 12. One of them I ran into a Mage with four Flamestrikes and like six Fireballs at 7-2. Every other card in the deck (that I saw) was amazing too. I was bewildered that they'd somehow managed to lose two games with that deck, but they did make a lot of clearly suboptimal plays, so I guess they just weren't very good, but were carried to 7 wins by an insane draft. Still, that was frustrating as hell, since the deck I was playing felt like it was extremely strong.

I wrote a long, but maybe not all that insightful, analysis of the new arena meta over on reddit. Basically, I think arena is significantly more tempo-focussed now, with 2-mana and 3-mana minions being stronger and 5+ mana minions being weaker. It's extremely important for every class to have a lot of good turn two plays: http://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveHS/c ... r_changes/

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:04 pm UTC

One really interesting thing me and a friend were discussing is how well Bob will do in handlock - given that the only 12/20 mana minions in the game right now are the giants, he's not even inconsistent there - just a guaranteed full heal on any giant. And yeah, I agree with that analysis - a good number of my games across all of my arena runs were won within the first couple of turns thanks to Tinkertown Tech just being the most insane 3-drop in the game right now :D

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:21 am UTC

That's a good point on Handlock. How often do you actually need to heal the giants, though? I feel like they often get blown up all in one go. I'm not a Handlock player, myself - I still don't have all the giants.

I am getting much closer to being able to run any deck I want... just in time for GvG to dump another 220 cards I need to collect and put me as far away from a complete set as ever. I got a Prophet Velen and Hogger in packs from my GvG runs over the last few days, plus a few epics, but I'm still missing 22 legendaries, and 73 'Classic' cards in total. 4k dust in the bank, but I doubt I'll craft anything for a while until the impact of GvG on constructed meta becomes clear.
Last edited by Adacore on Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:59 am UTC

Handlock is one of the few "meta" decks I have all the cards for (finally get to use that Jaraxus).

But I don't really see Recombobulator being used in Handlock.
It's very rare I heal the giants with Earthern Ring. There are some instances where healing them is nice, but if they're losing health because they're trading minions then they're already doing their job.
But they die to insta-kill stuff so often, I question the value of including a card that is, otherwise, quite weak in that deck.
Replacing a silenced/damaged Twilight Drake might be viable though.

Maybe I'm wrong; such "situational" situations have worked out in the past.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:14 am UTC

Heard from a friend today that he managed to pull off getting Thaddiusx4 and Deathwing on the board at the same time. Opponent promptly surrendered.

For some reason in when I log in the arena and store are turned off, though my friend was still able to do arena.

The spectate mode is nice though.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:14 am UTC

Biliboy wrote:For some reason in when I log in the arena and store are turned off, though my friend was still able to do arena.

The spectate mode is nice though.

The servers are being hammered today because of the GvG release. I think Battle.net in general is having some significant problems holding up under the load. It's possible they're also implementing an emergency GUI patch for the store to reduce the number of people accidentally buying classic packs (apparently it's super easy to purchase them by accident when you're trying to buy GvG packs, because they're the default option whenever you enter the store), but I think that's unlikely.

EDIT: I just had by far my easiest 12-win arena yet with an aggro Paladin deck. 3 Shielded Minibots, 3 Argent Protectors, a couple of other one and two mana cards, some decent midrange minions, a Sunwalker and Tirion. I had no AoE, almost no removal, and no real lategame except for those two minions, but with the quality of my low cost minions and the number of divine shields I had available for efficient trading, I basically never lost the early game and kept up heavy tempo throughout. I lost one game to a Mage who started with a strong Mana Wyrm + removal spells opening, then followed up with a Flamestrike on curve later, but that was it. Blood Knight would've absolutely wrecked me, but I never saw one. Got two GvG packs, 250 gold and a Quartermaster!

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:50 pm UTC

Is there a trick to beating control warriors? They seem to be the ones who most consistently kick my ass in constructed.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:15 pm UTC

Control Warriors, I think, are unfavoured against Control Priest and Handlock (with Jaraxus).
Token decks (Druid) should also be able to swamp their removal.
And it needs good draws to fight off the likes of Zoo.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:30 pm UTC

As with any matchup it really depends on what deck you're playing, but there were two basic ideas pre-GvG against Control Warrior:

If you're a control deck, you have to know what threats they have in the deck (they only have so many, and they're pretty predictably Syvanas, Cairne, Rag, Garrosh and Alex), and know how you're going to answer them in advance, it's a matchup that's all about efficiency and card advantage and you can afford to lose a lot of health in order to make the most efficient plays. If you get the opportunity to draw lots of cards, or deny the control warrior card draw, do it. Don't worry about the armor gain so much except in so far as it represents the damage a shield slam can do to your minions - there's almost never any reason to worry about removing armorsmiths. In general, play around the Grom + Taskmaster combo if you can, but not if you'd lose by playing around it too - in that case it's better to take the gamble that they don't have it in hand.

As an aggro or combo deck, simply try to rush them down with more stuff than they can counter, since most of the removal is single-target (this is highly dependent on them not drawing the Fiery War Axes and Shield Blocks). As a combo deck this matchup is very hard to win, because normally your combo has a set maximum damage and Warrior can gain more health than you can ever do damage if you don't kill them fast. Several midrange decks have the option of choosing from the aggro or the control strategy depending on how aggressive or reactive their opening hand is, for example, Shaman and control Priest.

With GvG, everything is changing, of course. I've heard Control Warriors are mostly running Shieldmaiden, but I have no idea what other minions have changed. I've also seen several complaints from Control Warrior players that it's a very difficult class to play, because their entire gameplan revolves around playing the most efficient answer to the opponent's threats themselves, and in a very unstable meta where the opponent's decklist is impossible to predict that becomes much harder to do.

Ninja'd by Xenomortis: Any deck which can generate large numbers of small minions, or has a way to do significant repetitive damage reliably is a big problem for Control Warriors. Token Druid or the new Token Paladin, Handlock with Jarraxxus and Zoo all qualify. Certainly Control Warrior was the best matchup for the token Paladin list Trump was playing a couple of days ago.

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:42 pm UTC

Thanks for all the info! I can see why I was having so much trouble - been mostly running combo decks (have a decently strong Paladin deathrattle one going now). I should probably focus on more well-rounded decks that don't rely on getting cards in the right order.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:48 pm UTC

Woohoo, legendary/golden legendary in same GvG pack. I've only gotten three so far, so I feel that helps massively in boosting my collection. So far, it's a lot of fun. Games are WAY less predictable thanks to the crazily shifting meta, and folks not having all the cards yet.

Return to “Gaming”