Therian Saga

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Therian Saga

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:47 pm UTC

Deep stone me then!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:17 pm UTC

Ok, no stone mine in Shortblades for now, Morlet will just make blocks with lumps that he finds in factory.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:07 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Excluding Demon Bone, Volriziar, and Volcanite:
- Urban: Clearmoon Glass
- Plains: One of [Exanese, Eliandel, Blueroc, Ayrann Bone, and Bormador Glass]
- Desert: Lansferum Glass
- Mountain: Borm Block or Salandrin Plank
- Snow: Lithosnow Block

Ok so here if I used clearmoon/borm/lithosnow, it would result in 5.0 values for urban/mountain/snow (right?) but what would the other values be?

- Forest: Walhein Bone
- Swamp: Oceanite Block
- Hills: Solone Plank or Lanferite Block
- Sea: Catoblar Glass
- Cave: Diorite Block or Gurdismo Plank

Similarly if I go Walhein/Oceanite/Diorite what would the other values end up as?

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:22 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Ok so here if I used clearmoon/borm/lithosnow, it would result in 5.0 values for urban/mountain/snow (right?) but what would the other values be?

Cannot test Clearmoon. Substituted Casadir as the worst case. Added Gurdismo too.
Casadir/Borm/Lithosnow: 4.8 Urban, 4.5 Plains, 5.0 Mountain, 4.5 Desert, 5.0 Snow.
Gurdismo/Borm/Lithosnow: 4.9 Urban, 4.6 Plains, 5.0 Mountain, 4.5 Desert, 5.0 Snow.
Similarly if I go Walhein/Oceanite/Diorite what would the other values end up as?

Walhein/Oceanite/Diorite: 4.9 Forest, 4.7 Hills, 5.0 Swamp, 5.0 Cave, 4.5 Sea.
Needs a Demonic Bone part for better Forest, apparently.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:32 pm UTC

Ok that's neat. I've seen some with only 5.0 and 4.9s on the market. I'll have to look through our google doc spreadsheet when I get home to see. There is a jewelery page that has which stat affects which skill/terrain value. Maybe there's some weird combination that works for two land stats or something.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:43 pm UTC

I'll have everything but the 3 towers/2 fortification done for the outpost later tonight (~9pm est) and can get it built. Holly said she'd provide the towers/forts. I'm using a linen banner since I can't see why prestige would be useful on a place to sleep.

I bought the recipe since val said he never bought it, and it looks like I'll be able to build it. Thanks to Chance and ST for help with the bedding and build cost.

Do the roads/watchtower/hiding place network/tunnels do anything yet, or is it for some future content like pvp?

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:59 pm UTC

Biliboy wrote:I'll have everything but the 3 towers/2 fortification done for the outpost later tonight (~9pm est) and can get it built. Holly said she'd provide the towers/forts.

They're in there.
-Adam

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:06 pm UTC

Biliboy wrote:Do the roads/watchtower/hiding place network/tunnels do anything yet, or is it for some future content like pvp?

I believe roads provide a location bonus for transport tasks. I assume it's a bonus from when you're moving something FROM that location. Not sure if the rest are implemented yet.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:11 am UTC

By the by, if there's spare Borm, Marble, Marapis, Granite, Diorite, Lodestone, or Lithosnow Stone lumps lying around... I'll totally take them. Any of them, all of them... but right now, I can't see needing more than 10 total, as I'll probably use 5 fairly quickly then sit on the other 5 until I can make the 50 strength idols.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Deva

Postby Deva » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:45 am UTC

Sells Lodestone at Pebble Bridge (south of Craneharbor). Might appear cheap on the market too.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:55 am UTC

I'm going to check it out. Deva, mind that I used you as my 'friend'?

JUST_A_HARMLESS_TREE

Postby JUST_A_HARMLESS_TREE » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:27 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I'm going to check it out. Deva, mind that I used you as my 'friend'?

If you haven't already you might want to grab someone's referral link instead of the fill-in box, which has 3 possible entry types (username, account name, character name).

Deva

Postby Deva » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:50 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I'm going to check it out. Deva, mind that I used you as my 'friend'?

Go ahead. Referral link:

https://www.theriansaga.com/register/?friendcode=7DEENF6281CBBG0PZL7PZBGR9EYBQ1YB

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:08 am UTC

...a;ready created account. :/

So apparently I can play this in the background while I play other games. Cool, I guess. Are you allowed to have multiple characters or is that a nono?

Deva

Postby Deva » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:37 am UTC

Oh well.

Nods. Requires fairly little active attention, outside of dungeons and some quests.

Permits multiple characters. Either create more accounts or purchase a Crossing (with real-life or in-game money).

jjl2357

Postby jjl2357 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:45 am UTC

DaBigCheez wrote:...

Actually scratch the order, I eventually got the skillups I needed so no need for the potion.
On that note, one of my alts can now theoretically make balms. I say "theoretically" because I don't have any recipes besides exploration, archeology, and commerce yet. If anyone wants one of those though, I'd be happy to make one.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:23 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:...a;ready created account. :/
If you decide to buy some account services, which if you get into the game, you'll want to, do so using a refer a friend link. For each new account buying into the games services, you can get a friend 50 BCs, which is a pretty sweet deal.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Grop

Postby Grop » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:38 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:By the by, if there's spare Borm, Marble, Marapis, Granite, Diorite, Lodestone, or Lithosnow Stone lumps lying around... I'll totally take them. Any of them, all of them... but right now, I can't see needing more than 10 total, as I'll probably use 5 fairly quickly then sit on the other 5 until I can make the 50 strength idols.

I understand you can go all lodestone (as Deva suggested) otherwise tell me because I can easily supply you with borm, marble or granite.

Deva

Postby Deva » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:29 pm UTC

Produces Spirit Bracelets now too. Choose three of 4.8 Sewing, 4.8 Tanning, 4.7 Jewelry, 4.8 Woodcutting, 4.8 Woodworking, and 4.7 Carpentry. Costs eleven gold.

(Should reach 4.8 Jewelry with Volriziar and 4.8 Carpentry with Demonic Bone. Could create the Volriziar part, but not the Demonic Bone part (see earlier discussion). Requests your materials either way.)

Hit the ceiling on Jewelry for now, also. Do not expect Fauna/Flora Bracelets anytime soon.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:34 pm UTC

I need to level combat skills, anyone want to beat me up in the arena a bit? I'm around low 30's, IIRC.

Trying to offload harnois is a drag. Finally put stuff on the market undercutting, but somewhat skeptical it'll sell.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:35 pm UTC

So I'm a stonemason or something. My companions are a guide and an apprentice stonecutter. For making money, starting out is limestone the best option for me?

Deva

Postby Deva » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:42 pm UTC

Recommends churning out Marl Blocks and/or Marl Towers for money. Uses plenty for guilds. Sells (presumably) for approximately three gold per hundred blocks or per tower. Do not make towers out of other materials (except Marapis).

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:50 pm UTC

Does higher skills let me work faster or only let me do more things?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:52 pm UTC

More things.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:43 pm UTC

Grop wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:By the by, if there's spare Borm, Marble, Marapis, Granite, Diorite, Lodestone, or Lithosnow Stone lumps lying around... I'll totally take them. Any of them, all of them... but right now, I can't see needing more than 10 total, as I'll probably use 5 fairly quickly then sit on the other 5 until I can make the 50 strength idols.

I understand you can go all lodestone (as Deva suggested) otherwise tell me because I can easily supply you with borm, marble or granite.

Ship me 10 of each and ask whatever seems fair to you, and I'll pay it.

Does higher skills let me work faster or only let me do more things?

Nothing ever really lets you work faster. Those Infusion things sorta do, but all they really do is fast-forward you an hour. You still *spent* the hour working, you just don't have to wait an hour to do it.

But more skill lets you make a wider variety of things, better quality of things, and use more materials in your things. Simple Linen might need a skill of 30 to make an Exceptional pair of Pants (Highest quality), but that 30 skill will barely let you make a rustic Blacknester hat (lowest quality, one of the easiest items to make).

I've basically found that in my fashioning, you basically end up making the same sort of things over and over, just varying the quality and varying the materials to maximize your skill gains.

More skill means you can use better quality tools, which add more to your skill. It's kinda strange how that works, with a low-end tool you can't make this particular item, but with the highest quality tool you can use...the item is so simple that you gain no skill from it.

Companions also add to skill, so find one that helps the skill you're interested in and haul them with you.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:57 pm UTC

Hello fellow stone buddy! Add me as a friend, my game name is "Holly".

Like ST says, you won't ever be able to work faster. That means when a high level player needs a low level item, it's better for them to buy it from a low level player instead of wasting time doing it themselves. Good news for you, the low level player. ;) Then the trick is finding out what high level players need.

Like Deva said, Marl Towers sell well on the market. You won't be able to make Towers right away though. Selling Slate blocks (stacks of 50) can also be profitable, especially if you can cut those blocks with copper (or tin) chisels. I forget if you can do that when you first start out. You can also try your luck selling marl walls, which are much easier to make. The demand is lower, but I think they still sell considerably better than their components (20 marl blocks).

The best way to get chisels is to barter marl sand for copper chisels at that main quarry (forget the name). Trading slate for bronze chisels is pretty miserable though. Avoid that one. At the beginning you can't do much with copper chisels other than marl blocks, though, so it pretty much sucks.

Really, you want to run through the necessary quests as quickly as possible to unlock lanfar. There you can mine Marapis, which is your money-maker. Stone is kind of a crappy trade at first, IMO. If you want some gold to get started, I can help you out. Most of us can make 100 gold pretty easily, while 10 gold to you makes a huge difference.

Last piece of advice is to level up your leadership ASAP (recruit page, then big guy, then erudite) so that you can get 4 laborers at once. If you haven't discovered yet, you can order your laborers to extract lumps for you, which makes you about 2.5 times as efficient. You'll need to buy a concession (plains of hawk) so that you can leave your other companions there.

Question for everyone else: what's the deal with grindstones? It's the one consumable that stonecutters make, but no one ever seems to use them. I put 60 hq sandstone grindstones - which seem like the best ones considering the strength and cost - in the guild factory bank and I don't think anyone's even touched them. And there are a lot of fashioners in our guild! Are they easy to pick up at vendors or something?

ST: diorite and lithosnow are expensive (1 gold each? x/÷5 :P ). I can sell them to you, or I can give them to you in order to guilt you into making me expensive Sair stuff as soon as you are able. ;) Your choice.
-Adam

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:03 pm UTC

Adam H wrote: what's the deal with grindstones?
For me, picking up 24 abrasion strength idol meant virtually everything I wanted to do for jewelry could be done with the two most basic grindstones.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:16 pm UTC

Will add holly when I get back :p.

So, companions. I have a guide and that apprentice quarry guy, currently acquiring a laborer as we speak. So, can I leave a companion behind someplace and pick up later?

Deva

Postby Deva » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:37 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:Question for everyone else: what's the deal with grindstones? It's the one consumable that stonecutters make, but no one ever seems to use them. I put 60 hq sandstone grindstones - which seem like the best ones considering the strength and cost - in the guild factory bank and I don't think anyone's even touched them. And there are a lot of fashioners in our guild! Are they easy to pick up at vendors or something?

Accumulated grindstones from Elisime. Cuts most upper-tier gems with Limestone Grindstones (12). Helps considerably to own Ocra items and/or a watermill.

CorruptUser wrote:So, companions. I have a guide and that apprentice quarry guy, currently acquiring a laborer as we speak. So, can I leave a companion behind someplace and pick up later?

Allows you to also set companions on a task (except the apprentice and possibly animals). To do this, go to the location. Click on the companion. Should display options, such as Rename. Choose the item to gather. Works until picked up.

Requires both you and the companion to meet that skill check. Example with Marapis: 20 Extracting. Must reach that personally (through personal skill, tools, companions, jewelry, and so on) and have 20+ Extracting on that companion.

May also store companions at a concession. Costs 1.15 gold for the cheapest. Buys that in Hawkoria's Military District.
Note: Separate: Leave at a concession. Abandon: Delete permanently.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:51 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
For me, picking up 24 abrasion strength idol meant virtually everything I wanted to do for jewelry could be done with the two most basic grindstones.
So I guess the question is do people buy marl/slate/limestone grindstones on the market, or from vendors, or just pick them up in dungeons like Deva?

Oh yeah, I forgot a great thing for corruptuser to sell: lignite.
-Adam

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:54 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:More skill means you can use better quality tools, which add more to your skill. It's kinda strange how that works, with a low-end tool you can't make this particular item, but with the highest quality tool you can use...the item is so simple that you gain no skill from it.

Slight correction - chance for skillup is only based on your character skill relative to the task difficulty, equipping a better tool won't have an effect on it AFAICT. There's definitely an advantage to certain "breakpoints" in skill where you suddenly become able to use a much better tool and jump by several points of effective skill in one go.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

JUST_A_HARMLESS_TREE

Postby JUST_A_HARMLESS_TREE » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:31 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:
So I guess the question is do people buy marl/slate/limestone grindstones on the market, or from vendors, or just pick them up in dungeons like Deva?

Oh yeah, I forgot a great thing for corruptuser to sell: lignite.

What you end up picking up from dungeons is the random borm/lithosnow/lanferite/high-tier grindstones, with abrasion strengths of 30-37. Which is good for those necessary small jobs of unicorn tears, or such. Wholly unecessary with a +5 talisman and good mill, though.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:44 pm UTC

Sent friend requests to Holly/Deva. Who else? My name in game is CorruptUser.

Also, the server seems unresponsive at the moment. Anyone else having issues?

Grop

Postby Grop » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:07 pm UTC

My nick is Chance, adding you (assumed your nick was CorruptUser).

Holly, I buy most grindstones from vendor. I hardly ever need stronger ones (the earlier time when I was asking for sandstone ones was before I got an idol).

And yes lignite is a nice idea as it doesn't demand chisels. I don't think uncut gems are worth it until you get a personal mine somewhere (the gems that anyone can extract in hawkoria free mines don't seem interesting).

(No issues for me, but several people are complaining on chat).

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:55 am UTC

What's a good way to make a bunch of fake email accounts? Yahoo demands cellphones now or something stupid.

Deva

Postby Deva » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:23 am UTC

At Chen:
Salandrin/Blueroc/Lithosnow for 4.9 Urban, 4.9 Plains, 5.0 Mountain, 4.9 Desert, and 5.0 Snow. Tried Borm too. Resulted in 4.8 Urban.

Grop

Postby Grop » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:52 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:What's a good way to make a bunch of fake email accounts? Yahoo demands cellphones now or something stupid.

If you have at least one cell number, gmail doesn't seem to mind creating several accounts with the same phone number.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

Yeah, but I don't hate google and I already have 2 emails. Oh well I'll think of something.

JUST_A_HARMLESS_TREE

Postby JUST_A_HARMLESS_TREE » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:10 pm UTC

Did one of you fellows make balms? Cause I'm looking for 40+ jewelry balms, three of them. Willing to pay market rate, not ~secret xkcd friends~ rate.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:00 pm UTC

Guys don't tell him about the 7% tree tax.

So I realized today that wool was sold at a vendor, instead of harvested, and I'm kicking myself. I'll get a wool/nuert knockdown furniture made sometime and replace the outpost I made with something slightly better. We can use the cotton/cedar one for another outpost at the shipyard or something.

*edit* someone in guild chat was asking about a +52 bow the other day, but I've forgotten who it was. I have one in my bag atm, let me know and I'll send it for the special xkcd price.

Return to “Gaming”