Therian Saga

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Therian Saga

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:24 am UTC

Discovered this yesterday, it's a web based cross between EVE and Swords and Potions. It has an extremely wide broad skill system with an enormous array of things to craft and materials to craft them with, and from the looks of it, you can do it all if you've got the time. The market appears nearly entirely player driven, but I'm uncertain how balanced that is. Tasks are queued up, up to three at a time, so you can set it and forget it (I left my guy prospecting for some kind of ore over night, for example). It APPEARS that ALL the resources are player generated, or generated in extremely limited quantities by NPCs.

The interface is a bit clunky, but it's extremely low demand. I can run it on my dinky tablet.

I'm looking at you Deva, as someone who may be interested, but check it out, it's currently 100% freemium with money allowing you to buy items of convenience. The player base seems pretty helpful; I asked a question in general and someone gave me some good starting materials to get cracking on metal working skills, offering to buy tin and copper from me at a premium. It seems like the perfect game to idly check with every couple of hours.

If you want to give it a go, here's my recommend a friend link, my account is the same as my username here.

Game requires Silverlight.

EDIT: Deva's Dungeon Guide.

Deva's House Rep Guide
Last edited by Izawwlgood on Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:36 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Re: Therian Saga

Postby Deva » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:39 am UTC

Popped in. Looks interesting. Selected Sewing/Tanning/Jewelcrafting as beginning skills. Character name: Deva.
Last edited by Deva on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:14 pm UTC

Your name didn't pop up when I tried adding you.

I've been doing metal work. I haven't even touched combat outside the intro island. Might be fun putting together an xkcd guild if we get enough people!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:02 pm UTC

Must be by character. Try "Deva".

Mechanics information for others:
- Energy. Expends it by performing actions, such as traveling, crafting, and working. Restores it by sleeping. (Replenishes completely after two hours and thirty minutes, currently.) Allows queuing up several actions. Performed over eight hours of actions last night, including sleep.
- Turn-based Combat. May choose Attack, Defend Self, or Defend Other. Presumes more options appear as skill increases. Mentions strengths and weaknesses in the game guide.
- Crafting. Depends on personal skill, companion skill, tools, and location. Affects item properties through material properties as well. May require multiple skill types (or several players) to forge later items. Example: War Axe. Involves wood skills (cutting and woodworking), stone skills (prospecting and extraction), and metal skills (smelting and forging). Alternate: Visual (Scroll down.)

Ought to look up companions and leadership skills. Accomplishes things alongside your character. May also tame animals.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:24 pm UTC

And breed them!

It appears that vendors quickly run out of materials rather rapidly, so for the higher level build projects, younger players still have something useful to offer insofar as man hours.

I'm liking the queue system, but presently don't have much of an idea what I'm doing. Might try weaving next?

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:57 pm UTC

I started playing; Username/Character is Enokh. No idea what I'm doing. Should be fun!

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:10 pm UTC

I'm focusing on animal companions or whathaveyou because I haven't played Pokemon in a while and I'm kinda curious as to the application trained animals have in this game.

Might look at potions too, I suppose.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:08 pm UTC

The wiki/guide is atrocious, but the player base is very helpful, so, there's that.

FYI, when you start a job, the game checks your stats to see if you can do it, and then again checks your stats when it completes. So, if you want to make a longsword, and need 5 more blacksmithing, and equip a blacksmiths hammer to do so, you must have the blacksmiths hammer equipped when the job completes or it will fail.

I learned this the hard way, when I queued up several jobs, smelting, then blacksmithing, and switched items to queue the jobs, only to return to all of them failing.

The community also doesn't seem to understand how money works; someone refused to buy a large batch of materials from me for more than what I could get from the vendor.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:56 am UTC

A mixture of EVE and Swords&Potions, you say? Hmmmmmm...

I created a character (name: Seymaar); went for woodworking skills to start with, since that didn't seem to be covered. Still in /noideadog mode; any tips on what I should be doing in the first few hours to get up and running? I finished the tutorial island, and have done some of the starter woodworking quests, but am not sure where I should go from there. Chop down a bajillion trees and sell 'em off? Work on branching out to a new set of tradeskills? Go thwack some slimes?

Izawwlgood, it seems like woodworking and metalsmithing go together fairly well; do you want to coordinate a team-up of some kind?

In absence of an actual idea what I'm doing, I bought an axe with my quest money and am chopping down pine trees until I run out of energy, then sleeping it off. We'll see where that gets me. Hopefully pine is useful to someone!

EDIT: BTW Izawwlgood, I can't seem to friend-invite you; is it spelled differently in-game than on the forums/using a different character name?
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:38 am UTC

Most definitely, I'll add you. The way I understand it, most of the activities overlap with one another. Like, metal work can make tools for wood work, which can cut down lumber for making charcoal. Or something.

I haven't even entered combat in the main game yet...

Adding friends is by character name, not account name. My character name is Jhalias.

New User

Postby New User » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:58 am UTC

These kinds of never-ending grind games aren't always my style, but I'm giving it a try. My character name is Mickey.

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:38 pm UTC

I don't normally play this sort of game, but it seems like quite a few xkcdians are, so hey, I'll give it a shot.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:23 pm UTC

So a handful of us seem to be churning along. I'm doing mostly metal, have all three metals in the 14-15 range, and am nearly able to start on iron products. I started dabbling with Fashioning today, and with New Users help figured out how to spin linen. I've still largely ignored combat, but if you guys want, I can make a decent range of weapons. I've been vendoring a bunch of the stuff I produce, which seems like a waste, but most players offering to buy stuff from noobs are offering below vendor prices.

From looking over the engineering and advanced metal/stone work, I think guild stuff is a much more advanced get up.

Any thoughts on how to spread out optimally and make ALL the things?

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:31 pm UTC

Well, I figure we should have at least one person on each skill category (Flora, Stone, etc.), though I imagine some can be ignored if we're trying to get to the "let's build ourselves some buildings" stage, since I don't really imagine taming wolves is going to help there. Or, we can just cover all of our bases, and then if people want to do multiple things we'll figure out what's most needed and go from there.

Dthen

Postby Dthen » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:05 pm UTC

I'm currently working on not sucking at making things out of wood. Although I'm not really sure what I'm trying to achieve, to be honest.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:09 am UTC

Hm. So, I now have 422 pine logs...and only 9 blades to plank-ify them with, and the NPC vendor is apparently fresh out. Suboptimal.

Izawwlgood, could I trouble you for some blades? I'm short on cash, but would gladly supply firewood (if that's useful to you) or some of the finished planks :)
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:36 am UTC

Yeah, who are you in game again? Mail me the blade request, along with how high their... uh... strength? mechanical strength? needs to be for the project.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:57 am UTC

Yeah, that's probably a more efficient way to communicate. Done.

Speaking of efficient ways to communicate, does anyone know what's involved in forming a guild? I assume some sort of upfront cost + membership-signature requirement? Any obvious benefits, aside from easy communication?

New User

Postby New User » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:07 am UTC

You can build a guild hall, for whatever that's worth. Then I guess it can be outfitted with workshops for the various artisans. But I'm not sure how much of that kind of stuff is even implemented into the game yet, since the game is still in Open Beta and also because I am such a newbie that I can't begin to afford anything like a guild charter or a building permit.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:14 pm UTC

Due to a growing disinterest in Flora, and the desire to make buildings (combined with only playing the game for maybe a day) I went ahead and reset as a Stone-worker. Huzzah! I'll be. . re-adding folks.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:28 pm UTC

Is this a game you can play in 15 min intervals a few times a day?
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:33 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:Due to a growing disinterest in Flora, and the desire to make buildings (combined with only playing the game for maybe a day) I went ahead and reset as a Stone-worker. Huzzah! I'll be. . re-adding folks.
I don't think you had to do that at all; you could have just picked up stoneworker.
Ixtellor wrote:Is this a game you can play in 15 min intervals a few times a day?
This morning I set 9 hrs of tasks, so, yeah.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:01 pm UTC

Yeah, I. . .probably didn't. Hmph.

New User

Postby New User » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:01 pm UTC

I've been paying some attention to this game in the past 24 hours, and here are some ideas:
Izawwlgood wrote:FYI, when you start a job, the game checks your stats to see if you can do it, and then again checks your stats when it completes. So, if you want to make a longsword, and need 5 more blacksmithing, and equip a blacksmiths hammer to do so, you must have the blacksmiths hammer equipped when the job completes or it will fail.

I am not sure but I think you can actually micromanage this to game the system. It seems that you ideally want you skill to be as close to the task's difficulty level to have the highest chance to increase that skill when the task is complete. Since you can change your skill by changing location and by changing equipment, you can try different location and equipment combinations to try to get your skill as low as possible (while still higher than the task's difficulty).
Since this is about careful micromanagement, it is less useful if you are queuing up repeated tasks and leaving the game. But it can still be useful.
Izawwlgood wrote:Any thoughts on how to spread out optimally and make ALL the things?

If the goal is to get a guild with xkcdians as members, I think it's best if we each specialize in certain trades rather than trying to spread out and master everything. There are so many skills and it takes such a long time to build up mastery that it just seems to me that it would be best to just wait until you have a high proficiency in one trade before building up another. Some trades seem to be more closely related to others, for example I am in Fashioning and I don't see much reason why I would want to take up woodworking. But if I take up horticulture, I can more easily collect the raw materials I need to make fabric.
DaBigCheez wrote:Hm. So, I now have 422 pine logs...and only 9 blades to plank-ify them with, and the NPC vendor is apparently fresh out. Suboptimal.

I was checking out the market, trying to help Dthen find something to do with his woodworking skills. I haven't personally tried selling anything on the market, because I'm currently making such low-tier goods that I don't think anybody would be interested in buying them. But I noticed that logs and planks are being offered for far more than the NPC vendor price. Maybe they are in high demand, but I don't know if they are actually selling. Just because players are offering to sell the wood for a high price doesn't mean that anyone is actually buying it. You'd have to keep an eye on the market and see if they are actually selling. If so, it looks like woodcutting can be very profitable, at least in this early stage of the game.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:26 pm UTC

That's basically what I was looking at - trying to cut some planks and sell them on the market for a shot-in-the-arm of starting capital. It'll probably take a while to go through, but when someone's frustrated and in a hurry trying to build their log cabin or whatever, my fine wares will be there to save the day! :D (Doesn't help that all the blades on the market are similarly aggressively marked up...)

Yeah, if we're trying to organize as a guild, it'd definitely be a good idea to organize into areas of proficiency. Probably not good to get too reliant on them, though; having a single point of failure sounds like a good way to get a cascade resonance event when someone gets bored or busy and quits logging in, and suddenly none of us can make anything :P

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:52 pm UTC

One thing that I'm glad to see is vendors that will purchase stuff from you pay more than just the cost of materials. That makes crafting even at lower levels a lot friendlier.

I'm kind of stuck at this middle point right now between two skill sets. I can't advance prospecting on anything but zinc, but I can't prospect for the ore that makes zinc yet. So. I guess I'm just advancing the other skills?

New User

Postby New User » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:04 am UTC

Ignore what I said earlier about micromanaging the skills. It turns out that I was completely wrong, skill advancement doesn't work like that.
Izawwlgood wrote:One thing that I'm glad to see is vendors that will purchase stuff from you pay more than just the cost of materials.

I have found that the profit available is proportional to the time and energy you put into the tasks. For example, I can harvest flax and hemp for free. I can sell a flax bundle for one copper piece. But I can also spend more time and energy to spin the flax into 5-10 linen fiber, which also sell for 1 copper each. So I can turn one copper into 5-10 copper.
But then I can weave 4x linen fiber into linen fabric. I think the sale price of linen fabric is 13 copper, so that's a net gain of only one copper. But I can sew 2x fabric into a shirt (which consumes one needle, which I need to acquire somehow) and then I can sell that shirt for about 230 copper (NPC price), which is a huge gain. The tradeoff is that it takes 30 minutes real time to sew a shirt, plus all the time it takes to harvest the flax, spin it into fiber, weave it into fabric, and the needle needs to be bought or crafted as well.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:06 am UTC

Of course though, long term projects with higher relative margins per cost of material in should be queued up for while you can't be playing. While present, do shorter activities. While gone for the day/night, queue up those 8 hr builds.

We should get a chat of some sort together, like a gchat group?

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:17 am UTC

Or an IRC channel, which anyone can join more easily.

By the way, could you state in the OP that it requires Silverlight to play? That makes it impossible for me, for example, as all of my active computers are either ChromeOS or Ubuntu.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:13 pm UTC

Just from what I've overheard in general chat, there's a really intricate requirement for placing buildings that makes you juggle different types of resources. So that'll be fun. Apparently wood, stone, and cloth is what will be needed, but I'm not really sure how all of that works. I'm going to mess with low-level buildings as I can.

I really need to explore around and make a note of where I can buy things.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:27 pm UTC

http://www.shinhan.name/tsmap/

Don't know if that'd be of interest to anyone, but there's a map of the game with what appears to be most if not all of the spots filled in.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:29 pm UTC

So how long do tasks generally take?

Are there short tasks that I can do fairly quickly if I'm sitting at my comp? Or do most of the tasks that will increase your skills and such be long term (as in I set them in the morning and they'll be done when I get home from work)?

It sounds pretty intriguing especially since you don't need to do any fighting or such it seems. I may try this out when I get home this evening. Any suggestions on what skill to start with? Is there a particular skill the xkcd group of people need? I would be up for helping out build some stuff here.

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:38 pm UTC

Hi, I am playing as well, my character is named Chance. I am moderately experienced, as I have played on (older) French servers as well. But I have been doing lots of random stuff so far, so there are many things I don't know about, such as buildings or potions.

I will add you guys, and am interested if someone wants to start a guild.

Chen, I don't know what the group needs. But since in the long term you can pick all the skills you want, it's not very important what you pick first. I have started with fauna, because taming animals and doing dungeons with them is a very efficient way of making early money.

Regarding how long tasks are, it is varies from a few minutes (cutting one tree) to several ours (some engineering tasks). I generally do quests, exploring and dungeons while sitting at my computer, then queue some crafting tasks plus sleeping.
Last edited by Grop on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:36 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:41 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm thinking about running around punching some things. That seems to also be a good way to spend time you want to spend actually sitting in front of Therian Saga, since you can't que up combat.

Dthen

Postby Dthen » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:36 pm UTC

Okay, if anyone needs any wood or anything derived from it, please let me know. I currently still can't find much of use to myself to do with my woodcutting skills, so if I may be of assistance to anyone here, just let me know.

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:23 pm UTC

I feel wood is the least needed trade for starters. Some logs and planks will be needed for science (engineering and alchemy) which nobody starts with. Except for that you may provide metal crafters with firewood and handles, but some NPCs already sell that for cheap.

Wood will be useful for building things. Early game all I can think of is making some good shields.

On the plus side, wood seems to be useful for several quests.

I am looking up what you need to make a guild. It seems very expensive and time consuming. Aparently you need 11 gold to start one, which will be limited to 5 members. Then you can up this limit through much hard work and money >_>.

We may want to make it informal (IRC is a good idea) at first.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:25 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm having the same problem with stone. Might pick up Foundrywork so I can turn my sand in to bottles, but I'm not sure.

Apparently the first expansion for the guild only costs a little bit of money, but the second expansion is CRAZY big. But I'm not terribly sure on this.

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:44 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:Yeah, I'm having the same problem with stone. Might pick up Foundrywork so I can turn my sand in to bottles, but I'm not sure.

If I am not mistaken, foundry (metal skill) will make you able to make glass from sand (which is produced by stone skills).

Bottles are made by jewelry (fashion skill) and used by herborists (flora) and alchemists (science).

Stone is not as central as metal, but you can extract mineral fuels (such as lignite and black coal) which are much better than wood-based ones. You make the grindstones used by jewelers, and a few tools (such as mortars for herborists).

And I suppose masonry will be useful when we get into building.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:03 pm UTC

Yeah, I was going to say I can pick up a few glass recipes for you and melt down sand into glass.

I also plan on picking up jewelery soonish, since a lot of jewelery recipes seem to feed into or from metal working skills.

That said, being able to produce my own lignite would be nice.

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:17 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:That said, being able to produce my own lignite would be nice.

What you really want is to have your employees produce lignite for you :D.

(One great thing about primary resource skills like extracting, prospection or botany is that you can assign companions t doing that).

Also starting tomorrow I should be able to grow nettle bundles (and ultimately, to have NPCs do that for me); it would be great if someone into sewing was interested in making it into some nice nettle fabric, and sell me part of it.

(I noticed nobody seems to be interested in Flora; it is actually a great trade).

Return to “Gaming”