Saints Row IV - Greatest Superhero Game Ever

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Saints Row IV - Greatest Superhero Game Ever

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:11 pm UTC

Never played Saints Row 1. Don't really care. I understand it was pretty much a GTA clone.

Saints Row 2 was a GTA clone with lots of humor injected into it. How well the humor worked is, as always, a matter of opinion, but it was anything but serious. That said, you were very much the leader of a street gang and they were very much thugs and criminals. Given how you could customize your character, it was also remarkably one of the friendliest games ever. Want to be a 300 unattractive woman? Done. Want to be a gay man? Easy. Does anyone in the game ever give you shit for any of that? Nope.

Saints Row 3 was more cartoonish. Your crew had moved on from being a gang to somehow becoming international celebrities, and while still technically a gang, your criminal empire was something more like.. well, a criminal empire than a street gang. Sure, thugs still existed, but they were pretty far removed from what you were doing... which was probably driving around in a car with a tiger because somehow that trains you to be a WWF style wrestler because.... reasons? It's arguably also one of the most woman and lgbt-friendly game of 2011. Or.. ever? (And Youtube Link). Which... coming from a game in which the signature weapon is a floppy dildo bat means either the writers know exactly what they're doing or (more likely) every other game is fucking up that badly.

Saints Row 4 opens with you becoming President of the USA, getting to decide if world hunger is eradicated or if cancer is properly fucked, and then (unsuccessfully) fighting off an Alien Invasion before getting trapped in a virtual world. The virtual world aspect allows them to well and truly tell anything approaching Logic to play hide and go fuck itself while the game gives you superpowers because very yes.

Moving on.

I don't think I'm done with the tutorial missions (I only got the Freeze Power a mission or so ago) and I'm already thinking that this is the best superhero game I've ever played. Rooftop leaping, gliding around, I've taken out several enemy control areas and if I'm on foot I don't even bother with guns anymore - just speedrun into someone and melee their teeth out of their skull.

And there's, like, eight more powers I haven't unlocked yet

I know, I'm late to the party. Don't care. Game's fantastic so far.

The portable garage is nice. I've found myself hopping in vehicles, saving them, then bouncing out because screw driving when I can run.

(And now someone will point out the SR4 thread I missed in the 15 different ways I searched for it)
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Enokh

Re: Saints Row IV - Greatest Superhero Game Ever

Postby Enokh » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:23 am UTC

Do everything in your power to get the Dubstep Gun as fast as possible because ohmygod that thing is amazing.

Saints Row 4 (I've never played the others) is one of the best games I've played. Ever. EVER. The ONLY disappointing thing in that game was that you never get to straight-up fly, you just glide.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:42 am UTC

I completely agree. I loved SR2, was slightly disappointed by SR3, but SR4 is fucking *wonderful*. Just... just holy crap it's so good.

By the way, when you do the little solo mission with Pierce, absolutely stay in the car until you are *completely* sure the dialog has ended. (It's not tricky or anything - they don't pause for a long period or anything like that - just make sure.) Dang mission made me cry, it was so sweet.

Also, get the DLC, particularly the Xmas one. Especially if you've already gotten attached to your character, it's heartwarming.

Dubstep gun is best gun, indeed. Even better if you get the DLC Dubstep gun, as its rock setting is the bounciest and thus most damaging.

Protip: I have no idea why, but the Bounce Rifle, which is normally kinda shitty, absolutely *wrecks* the big tripod enemies you start encountering late in the game. They're remarkably hard to kill normally, but three shots from the bounce rifle (when fully upgraded) blows them up. I keep it around even though I don't like it just to deal with those guys.

Don't bother with the DLC power packs unless you just like spending money. They're crap. The rest is pretty good, though.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:21 pm UTC

I grabbed a few because they were cheap as shit, but this is the only DLC you need.

At any rate, as near as I can figure, the tutorial mission stuff ends when the game politely informs you that all your DLC shit is unlocked. Which is... 6 missions in, maybe? I lost track as I was too busy running around getting clusters, opening the red bubbles and doing whatever the thing is where you kill all the aliens around the red spike to turn it blue - basically the replacement of SR3's gang war activity, where you kill a bunch of gang members hanging out in an area.

Coincidentally, that's where I am in the game. Meaning I now have the dubstep gun. I haven't tried the variants other than the metal one. Because why the hell would I?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:58 am UTC

Xanthir wrote:I completely agree. I loved SR2, was slightly disappointed by SR3, but SR4 is fucking *wonderful*. Just... just holy crap it's so good.

By the way, when you do the little solo mission with Pierce, absolutely stay in the car until you are *completely* sure the dialog has ended. (It's not tricky or anything - they don't pause for a long period or anything like that - just make sure.) Dang mission made me cry, it was so sweet.

Also, get the DLC, particularly the Xmas one. Especially if you've already gotten attached to your character, it's heartwarming.

Dubstep gun is best gun, indeed. Even better if you get the DLC Dubstep gun, as its rock setting is the bounciest and thus most damaging.

Protip: I have no idea why, but the Bounce Rifle, which is normally kinda shitty, absolutely *wrecks* the big tripod enemies you start encountering late in the game. They're remarkably hard to kill normally, but three shots from the bounce rifle (when fully upgraded) blows them up. I keep it around even though I don't like it just to deal with those guys.

Don't bother with the DLC power packs unless you just like spending money. They're crap. The rest is pretty good, though.

I've been finding the bounce gun to be awesome. Fully upgraded, I can clear a flashpoint with two shots. It's not the best against vehicles like the hover bikes though.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:32 pm UTC

I'm at the mission where you're explicitly told "You cannot stop once you start this mission" thing, so I'm assuming that's the last one. Haven't done either the Christmas or Dominatrix DLC, plan on doing them after the fact (unless someone pops in with a "Dominatrix/Christmas makes more sense in the story if you do it before the end")

And with all the superpowers unlocked and I'm pretty sure all upgraded, most of the guns I use upgraded and so on, I can still say that this has been the greatest superhero game I've ever played. Well, obviously not superhero, but the movement through the city gives the feel of rapid movement better than Prototype did, the blastier powers feel better than Infamous and I love the crap out of both Prototype and Infamous.

The Mass Effect mockery is also neat.

Once I started using guns again, I pretty much stuck with Tommy guns, the Dubstep Gun and the DEK-RD Railpistol. Because I'm secretly a replicant.

I really liked the Blazing missions more than in any other game, but I didn't care for most of the Rift games... I liked the telekinesis ones, not so much the running and jumping ones.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:00 am UTC

The speed rifts are fine once you learn how to play them properly. Took me a while to figure out the trick to them.

Jumping ones seem pretty fun to me. They're not hard once you upgrade your jumping.

Note that if you find any of the side missions too hard, you can always drop the difficulty temporarily. It doesn't affect anything.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:49 pm UTC

Gat out of Hell.

Play as Gat or Kinzie, because it's her birthday. With actual flight. And reskinned powers. You hire five (well, four, but one of them is a pair) of the most horrible people - the twins from SR3. Vlad the Impaler. Blackbeard. And...William Shakespeare. All to save the President aka the Boss aka the Playa from having to marry Satan's Daughter.

The dialog is a bit more obvious in it's not checking Male/Female flags, as the few times they've used pronouns to refer to The President, it's always They. Which is a little odd, but otherwise okay.

And it's a fucking musical. Or at least a song.

That it keeps stopping/starting to show me exposition in the form of a storybook being narrated by Jane Austin (I'm presuming, given that's how SR4 ended and I'm pretty sure it's the same voice) is a little annoying, though. I do like that all of the missions are pretty much available at the start of the game.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:31 pm UTC

So I just played the mission where you rescue Asha from evil you - who has a mustache and goatee. Despite the fact that I am playing through as a female character.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:07 pm UTC

.... you know, I also had a female Boss (basically the same person since 2) but the addition of the goatee didn't seem unusual as that's entirely in-character for her, given the ridiculous costumes I ran around in.

Gwydion

Postby Gwydion » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:02 pm UTC

I also just started playing through this, after the recommendations from another thread, and it's been a blast so far. I'm concerned the game feels a little short, at least in terms of main story so far, but I'm having a great time running around and shooting things in increasingly ridiculous ways. I see people talking about different music settings for the dubstep gun - how do you change it? Is that something I haven't found yet?

Anyone interested in playing co-op at some point? My steam id is my name here with a 42 on the end.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:57 pm UTC

Gwydion wrote:I see people talking about different music settings for the dubstep gun - how do you change it? Is that something I haven't found yet?

It's part of the weapon customisation. There's DLC to give more options, I forget whether you get any choice at all without it.
He/Him/His Image

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:28 pm UTC

Gwydion wrote:I also just started playing through this, after the recommendations from another thread, and it's been a blast so far. I'm concerned the game feels a little short, at least in terms of main story so far, but I'm having a great time running around and shooting things in increasingly ridiculous ways. I see people talking about different music settings for the dubstep gun - how do you change it? Is that something I haven't found yet?

Anyone interested in playing co-op at some point? My steam id is my name here with a 42 on the end.

Customize the weapon in the weaponshop and change it's skin. The non-DLC one should have Default, Industrial, Popstar and Da Wub. The DLC one has Classical, Deathmetal, Swingfest and Oktoberfest.

A demonstration of the 8 variants

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:20 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:.... you know, I also had a female Boss (basically the same person since 2) but the addition of the goatee didn't seem unusual as that's entirely in-character for her, given the ridiculous costumes I ran around in.

Oh yeah, I can see that they might have left that in because evil! now that you mention it. It just seemed like lazy writing to me at the time though.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:41 pm UTC

One of my favorite things about both 3 and 4 (never played 2) is that they basically don't give a fuck about gender roles and expression, apart from occasional pronoun usage. I can choose (most of?) the same hairstyles, facial hair, and clothing regardless of whether I picked M or F at the beginning.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:06 am UTC

2 was even more give a fuck less. The gender selector decided on pronouns cops occasionally used ("She's getting away!) that were easy to miss, and it determined the voice of your partner in the sex minigame. Not your voice, mind you, just your partners.

You were otherwise unlimited on body type selection.

It also had more layers of clothing options, and many articles had adjustable options (whether or not a shirt was buttoned all the way, partially, or not at all, hat tilt angle. Etc.)

It's customization was superior in options. At least, as I recall. I should jump back in to re verify.

One of the male voices was the father from The Nanny as well. And every voice sang along with Take On Me whenever it came on the radio, and one other voice-specific song. The All Voices Edit is kinda amazing.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:21 pm UTC

I love the series, but just wanted to throw in a comment about 3. They fucked some stuff up on three. Yeah, it had some great. things in it too, but one thing I found incredibly frustrating was how they set up the missions. In 1, 2, and 4 you could check your map, and go do a mission nearby. In 3, you have to go meet Zimu or Kinsie, or whoever at their base. Then drive to wherever the mission actually starts. And iirc you end the missions back at their base again. So lots of extra driving around, instead of go have fun, fuck shit up, then wander by a mission location and do it.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:26 pm UTC

I think they wanted to do more in-game conversations so you would be playing the game during the conversation, not watching the cutscene. At least, as I recall that happening - go see Kinzie, watch a cutscene, hop in car, drive to start while having a conversation with Kinzie, play mission, drive home with further conversation, end.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:02 pm UTC

Yeah, I agree- they tried that, but I found the execution really annoying. I love the games, but driving across half the map to turn around and drive across it again wasn't fun.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Return to “Gaming”