Space Engineers: Minecraft IN SPAAAAAAAACE

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

CorruptUser

Space Engineers: Minecraft IN SPAAAAAAAACE

Postby CorruptUser » Mon May 12, 2014 12:11 am UTC

Well, started to get into a new game. Basically, you mine asteroids and refine ores to make ships and crash them. It seems pretty cool, but it is currently in alpha. Weekly updates or so; apparently rocket launchers and ship grinders were added last week. Also wheels, so you can make cars.

Anyway, so the graphics are otherwise tolerable, but just the ability to see asteroids and ships get chewed to shreds makes up for it. This is what we want from a video game; the ability to destroy each and every component of a a ship, just because. None of this "hitpoints" crap, each piece of every ship is destructible. At the moment there are only two weapons, gatling guns and missiles, but more are in the works. Your ships are fully customizable with any set of components you want, though you will need quite a bit of uranium for your ships to work.

Ship design is a bit confusing at first, but given what's on youtube, well, you've got people making full-scale replicas of the Enterprise and Battlestar Galactica and so forth. If you ever wanted to have a duel between the Millenium Falcon and Serenity, you can.

Mutex

Re: Space Engineers: Minecraft IN SPAAAAAAAACE

Postby Mutex » Mon May 12, 2014 10:59 am UTC

http://www.spaceengineersgame.com/annou ... video.html

Looks interesting. Kinda like Kerbal Space Program but with cooler graphics?

EDIT: Reading about it more I see the Minecraft resemblance. Really cool.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon May 12, 2014 3:14 pm UTC

Started a world but this time with random ships enabled. Mining? What mining? I'm hijacking ships for salvage.

Your inventory is rather limited, even with 10x enabled. Because it's supposed to feel like you are just a man in space with a welder. There are some blocks that will require several trips to your storage box to complete. It really feels like it was made for multiplayer, where you have a dozen people helping weld together a destroyer.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri May 16, 2014 7:05 pm UTC

So, it updates every Thursday. Yesterday they added some improvements to conveyers, so you don't need quite as many resources to set them up. Plus, starting locations have been updated to include mining depots and a small grinding spot. Haven't checked out the rescue ships, but they've been updated too.

The 3 main tools for your character are grinder, blowtorch, and drill. Grinder tears down structures/ships for parts, welder builds them, and drill breaks up asteroids to collect. Also guns/missiles.

What the game needs is welding tools on ships. Ships have grinders and drills, but not welders, which would be nice because some components take forever to build. Looking at you, solar panels. This would be for survival mode, as everything builds instantly in creative. Plus, it'd be nice for building large space tracks that are only in creative. Because sometimes you want to build a bunch of 'cars' in space and race them on a custom track of death. With traps and such.

Another thing that could be added are pirates. Currently your only threat is meteors, which you can disable if you are a coward. Pirates would be random ships that rarely appeared and would attempt to hijack you ships or scrap them with their ships. You could kill them and keep their ship for yourself, do enough damage to their ship to cause them to flee, etc.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Tue May 20, 2014 1:06 pm UTC

It looks really promising but I think I'll wait until it's at least mostly finished, bought too many alpha games recently.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue May 20, 2014 9:08 pm UTC

Got a multiplayer server set up at a friends place, grabbed the game, gotta give it a shot later today. The videos, etc look basically like Kerbal and Minecraft had a baby. I'm very ok with that.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu May 22, 2014 8:04 pm UTC

Today, small ship grinders, and welders for all!

This means you no longer need a station/large ship to grind things to their base components. Salvage ships ho!

But more importantly, welders! Now you can build things far more quickly. Also repairs. Can't wait to get home to try it out.

So now my goal is to make a replica of all the ships from Homeworld...

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri May 23, 2014 4:11 pm UTC

My getting started was rough. Got lost, somehow clipped through the wall of my ship, while it floated away. Getting it back took quite some time. Then, it appears it's fairly easy to accidentally die while hand mining. Not sure if it's lag related due to multiplayer server/gaming on laptop or what. Odd. Also, tunnel mining does horrible things to performance due to an apparent lack of mipmapping(or perhaps it just needs tuning, I didn't check exaustively for it).

I've mostly started to haul stuff in, though, and once I can build a mining ship(just need to not die while getting silicon), it should get *much* easier.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat May 24, 2014 5:36 pm UTC

Turn Cargo Ships on, learn which ones are safe to hijack (and how), and you should get all the materials you need. Military ships tend to have quite a few booby traps (thrusters adjacent to warheads that explode when you move the ship) as well as lots of machine guns. Do not want. Only one of the mining ships is trapped, and that trap destroys the ship but not you. Same with the business ships. Only 9 cargo ships at the moment, 3 of each (mining, business, military).

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue May 27, 2014 7:51 pm UTC

Ah, I figured out how to disable my ship, die, spawn in a new ship, and strip the old one for materials. Probably not in the spirit of the game, but I figure it made up for the deaths to bugginess. Got a decentish setup now, should be able to start seriously building/raiding soonly.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue May 27, 2014 8:50 pm UTC

I'd suggest starting on either crashed red or the platform scenario. Or the easier scenarios that come with free ships and such. Crashed red provides enough scrap for whatever you need. Platform is ok, comes with a mini grinder which is nice, but I like to have a lot more than 3 grinders to devour my prey. Small ships are difficult to use to push down big ships, but I find I can use a small ship with grinders to push down a large ship into more grinders. Sandwich. My single assembler can't keep up with all the stuff I want scrapped for materials, and I'm on 10x everything.

So, making small utility ships. For mini grinder and welder, I have 3x3 section of grinders. Behind it are 3x3 conveyers. Then a 1x3 layer of conveyers to connect them all. Then a conveyer tube, then conveyer, then a large or medium cargo box. Behind that a connector to spit up my junk to my base. Cockpit on top, reactors and thrusters and such wherever. Grind or welder wherever.

Mining vessels are different. You need a large ship with a gravity generator to make all ore go in one direction. The tiny ship is connected to the big ship via the gear, and is moved by the bigger ship. Small ship is turned on (with like 36 drills), ore falls to big ship collectors. Also small ship has connector that spots out the ore the drills collect. Lots of rock, but ores too.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed May 28, 2014 3:14 pm UTC

Multiplayer server, so no luxury of using different scenarios...I do need to screw with mining ships, though. Once I get that down, I should be fairly set.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu May 29, 2014 7:15 pm UTC

Speaking of which, today dedicated severs were released.

Currently I'm working on a mining ship setup. I have a small ship attached to a large ship. Large ship has a bowl with a collector at the bottom for ores, while the small ship has dozens of drills piping their ores to the collector. Gravity generator, obviously. Turn on the mining equipment, use larger ship to push and stabilize the small ship while you harvest the entire small asteroid. No thrusters/gyros on small ship needed.

Can't wait for more updates. I'm hoping for pirates and such.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:31 pm UTC

Last week: merge blocks. This lets you combine and split ships and stations.

This week: large ship drills. Devour all asteroids with large ships that don't flop around nearly as much when drilling.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:36 am UTC

New update: Electricity transmitted through rotors (yay!), a few new settings for the world, landing gear improved.

The rotor thing is HUGE. You no longer need a cockpit and power source in your rotors, so if you want, say, ship grinders that crunch captured ships, now you can.

These updates are large and coming in fast. Not even minecraft updates this quickly. But I think I need to play me some minecraft...

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:43 am UTC

Lots and lots of updates.

Batteries, let you store energy for short bursts. But most importantly, makes solar panels more useful. Speaking of which, solar panels are now reasonably priced.

Pistons! PISTONS! Woo! They were fixed too, but combining pistons is still not that reasonable; a stack of 4 pistons bounces uncontrollably when attached to my drills for large mining ships, but 3 is barely tolerable.

Wheels updated. Can actually make cars that turn.

Bunch of other stuff too.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:05 pm UTC

I picked this up over the winter sale and since I grabbed it, dumped over 100 hours in it.

While playing Survival, I keep having the problem of "Where the goddamn holy hell is Nickel?"

The relatively recent Infinite Mode should help with that, somewhat, but it's still irksome that a resource is absent. I know the idea is to push you towards doing things like assaulting the passing ships, and I'm okay with that to an extent. My problem is that without Nickel (or the two maps out of 30 that had nickel, but no cobalt), I can't make weaponry. Maybe I need to just build heavily armored small ships with no guns, just armor walls and assault-slam my way through the smaller ship's guns.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:26 am UTC

Some asteroids have different resources. Try starting in a world like "crashed ship" where you can salvage your cruiser for parts to build a base.

Anyway, if you do get set up, a fun thing to do is build a gravity gun. Make a missile out of warhead, battery, artificial mass. Or reactor instead of battery. "Above" a bunch of gravity generators. Aim your gun, turn on gravity generators, release the missile. Bonus points if you build the gravity gun as a turret attached to your ship with the projector block to "reload" the missiles.

Also, they are making Medieval Engineers. Build castles and siege weapons!

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:16 pm UTC

How's the stability doing? When I was playing before, it was *mostly* good, but the few times when it was glitchy were often enough to cause a serious setback, because I was almost invariably mucking about in a ship near something else.

Medieval engineers sounds very promising.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:27 pm UTC

As I only started playing it around a month ago, I don't know how it was.

I do know that things like rotors and pistons act funny when you stack more than two on them. I know that if you put heavy loads on rotors and have them spin more than 2 or 3 meters a second, there is a very, very real chance of them shearing off on you. I also know that if you put rotors on rotors at a right angles to the core rotor (I was wanting to build something that could open like a pair of scissors and spin in a slow circle) it'll seem stable, but 1-5 minutes later suddenly shake itself apart violently.

Shortly after the Infinite Asteroid thing was introduced, I was puttering around in it and as I was mining, something happened and I started mining into an asteroid that wasn't there until I touched it with my ship. So my ship was obliterated pretty quickly. I know they patched it after that happened (and it's been patched since then) and I've not encountered it again, so I *assume* it's fixed.

The longer I play the game, the longer the autosave takes (as well as something else going on in the background) that freezes the game up. I think I'm going to move it to my SSD and see if that clears up the problem.

The physics are sometimes a little wonky.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:28 pm UTC

When pistons were introduced, retracting them with any significant weight on them caused them to break off. Stacked pistons still wobble like hell. What I do need to test is how to group pistons together for extra strength. Maybe with merge blocks or something.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:16 am UTC

Heh. Landing Gear, maybe?

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:57 am UTC

I just want someone to make a giant fighting robot that you can use to punch people, using rotors for the movement of all the body parts.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:00 pm UTC

Planets are out. The Easy Start on them is a dirty lie. You get a large base with barely any defenses and constantly attacking NPC ships. I'm pretty much always overrun in 30 minutes or less.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:15 am UTC

Now that I've upgraded my computer, I've been enjoying Planets pretty well with the atmospheric lander start. Got a nice little base set up in a canyon with lots of resources around and no pirates or anything.

Mining is super hard on Planets though. I tried building a buggy with a drill array on a rotor in front and that seemed to work pretty well at first, but wheels don't have the braking force to keep you from ramming into the mining face if the tunnel has any kind of incline, especially once you actually start filling the cargo box with resources. Still, witht he drill assembly removed it makes a decent little utility transport.

I haven't quite mastered atmospheric flight enough to feel comfortable using a flying miner either so I've mostly been mining by hand, which is slow going.

I'm thinking maybe I'll try my hand at building a rail system and have a rail-based mobile mining platform. The alternative I guess it to build a stationary mining platform at each ore deposit.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:43 am UTC

The only trick with flying miners is to keep an eye on the navball and your roll. Pitch and yaw all you want - keep your roll as locked as you can.

That, and the ground is at least 100m closer than up you think it is.

If you want, I can snap a few pics of my flying miner. It uses five drills in a slope and can pitch nose down and be fine,

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:24 pm UTC

I'm thinking about buying this game next time it's on discount. Any thoughts as to how the game progresses? It's seen a lot of changes, (planets patches etc etc). Without further gameplay experience, I'd say this is a $5-10 game and will wait for said discount.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:32 pm UTC

Alright, so single player isn't perfect, but it really does have most of the KLANG caused bugs worked out. Shit only starts to go nuts when you're doing really wacky things for the express purpose of doing wacky things.

At some point in the last 8 months, not exactly sure when, they added in a Survival Block, a Basic Assembler, and a Basic Refinery, simplified some recipes (computers no longer use gold, for example), as well as taking inspiration from a few popular mods such that Stone can be refined to Gravel still, but also small amounts of Silicon, Iron, and Nickel. Those three form the basis for everything you need to make the basic Assembler, Refinery, and a wheeled rover.

They've also added in a Wind Turbine which in atmosphere generates a small amount of energy, and only uses Silicon, Iron, and Nickel. As long as there is air, these work, though they work best when a few hundred feet above the surface. There's also a hydrogen engine that generates power and uses incredible amounts of hydrogen to do so. So power generation (on planets) right now kinda looks like Wind as your steady generator, Solar for daylight spikes, and Hydrogen for emergency situations where you need to generate power quickly. Uranium doesn't spawn on planets (or at least not reliably - I keep reading things that say it doesn't at all and others saying it does but that it's rare and several hundred feet down, far out of range of unmodded ore scanners) so reactors are basically nonexistant until lategame.

They also added in an (optional) progress system, where what blocks you can build is limited until you build a particular block, after which time more blocks unlock (some of which, when built, unlock more blocks) giving you a sense of a path just based on what you can literally build. At first you can only really drill by hand and hand build things, then you can build wheeled rovers, then you unlock air thrusters, then hydrogen thrusters and ion thrusters.

They've also made the screens in cockpits useful. They now have default scripts that show you your elevation, the current gravity situation, and a moving plane - just like a real navball. You can also change these to other things if you know how to work the scripts - things like an ship inventory, etc. The large ship control seats do not have this, just the large cockpit. Oh, and at some point - I really have no idea when - they added a female model.

There's still not much of a point - no goal to build towards other than goals you set for yourself, but there's at least a sense of progress now. Build certain blocks to unlock other blocks, build those to seek out cobalt, silver, and gold, harvest metric tons of ice to generate the hydrogen needed to get to space, get uranium and platinum in space, fly to another planet.

Apparently the game is better in Multiplayer? But also buggier. The 100m/s speed limit still exists, based on how the game works that's apparently the maximum speed that a small block can travel and the game still recognize that it has collided with a large block. Faster speeds cause them to phase through as the game doesn't calculate the collision. So some of the speed mods out there that put it at 1000m/s (there might even be some no limit ones) can potentially have even a large ship pass harmlessly through another large ship if they're both going fast enough.

They also very recently (in the last two weeks) introduced a $4 USD Decorative Block DLC that has a bunch of decorations that people were faking with Small/Large grid trickery - things like actual beds, cabinets, kitchens, the memetastic space toilet (seriously), and... one functional block, a new large/small cockpit. Originally, someone without the DLC could see the blocks in multiplayer, but not interact with them. For most of the decorative blocks this didn't matter as they were for lookin'. For the holographic table, it meant you couldn't change what it displayed, for the space toilet it meant you couldn't sit on it. But for the cockpit it meant you couldn't use it at all. Very quickly people noted that this effectively meant that you could lock people out of some vessels by having a cockpit they could not use.

They've since changed it so that while you cannot place the new blocks, you can interact with them. There's now a running joke about people trading the new cockpit attached to a merge block, to be "sold" to people without the new DLC. Given that it's a $4 DLC, I'm fairly certain this is just a joke and not actually happening.

Still, it's a shame, as the new cockpit is pretty amazing looking AND you can look down in it.

Return to “Gaming”