Heroes of the Storm (Moba Lite?)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Koa

Re: Heroes of the Storm (Moba Lite?)

Postby Koa » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:54 am UTC

Any thoughts on 2.0? The new map seems kind of interesting I suppose. I almost thought there wasn't going to be any minion waves, but with minion waves and mercenaries giving additional experience and the multiple moving payloads, it seems pretty busy. Taking down forts doesn't seem like a good comeback mechanic and I imagine it might accentuate composition disparity rather than providing more options. The turrets and healing thing are probably their attempts to mitigate this problem.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Re: Heroes of the Storm (Moba Lite?)

Postby Xenomortis » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:40 am UTC

Not played the beta yet, but I've seen the map.
It looks "hard", in the same way Dragon Knight is "hard" (requiring good team coordination, which won't really be available in QM or HL, to control multiple locations of the map).
There's a lot of unique and "complex" mechanics - the payload mechanics (standard for people familiar with Overwatch or TF2, but weird for anyone else) and the unusual merc camps with their tokens (a turrent, a heal, and a reveal/scout token).

It initially struck me as another Towers of Doom with its "fire missiles at the core" mechanic.
But unlike ToD, Forts/Keeps do not "respawn". When a tower in ToD is destroyed, it "switches allegiance", allowing the other team to destroy it making the capacity to "threaten towers" is always relevant, which is not the case here.
On the other hand, if you do get a keep down, it adds a sapper to the minion wave, adding yet another thing for the enemy to keep track of. But I don't know if I expect that to happen very often since there's no big "map objective" that destroys buildings - there aren't even mercs to threaten them for you.

7 core health seems low, especially when losing forts/keeps adds missile shots - obviously Blizzard does not expect payload deliveries to be made very often.

Return to “Gaming”