Shores of Hazeron

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

jstylen

Shores of Hazeron

Postby jstylen » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:44 pm UTC

With Shores of Hazeron offline now, I was wondering if anybody knows of something similar. Though with how obscure SoH was, not sure anybody will even know what I'm talking about...

Gopher of Pern

Re: Shores of Hazeron

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:25 pm UTC

Maybe explain it then?
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

jstylen

Postby jstylen » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:46 pm UTC

A brief description won't really do it justice, but here's one anyways:

Shores of hazeron was an online space simulation game. When you create an empire you start off on a planet basically left to your own devices to create a space faring civilization.

You start off by declaring a city and building it up by collecting materials. Eventually you reach a point where you can create space ships. And by create I mean literally design the whole thing, from the look all the way to its capabilities in speed, weapons and FTL drives. You could pilot the ship yourself or hire an NPC crew to do it for you. Or, if you have friends playing, you can have them help run the ship. Everything needs to be managed, nav, conn, engineering, fire control ,etc etc. You can also design the buildings for your cities. You then move on to research so you can gather better materials and eventually build better ships.

The game universe was massive, bigger than any other game ever made for sure. Multiple galaxies all with their own solar systems, some even had ringworlds.

And since it was an online game you could collaborate or go to war with other empires.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:52 pm UTC

What was the format? RTS? Time based action queuing? FPS?

Check out Therian Saga if you like resource management and economic simulation. There's an XKCD guild, and we're awesome.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Koa

Postby Koa » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:15 am UTC

FPS/TPS. I tried playing it several times but the netcode and/or server issues made it utterly unplayable. I don't think there's anything quite like what it was trying, which makes it kind of sad to see that it went down, even if I didn't much care for it. I guess they're still working on it, or something...

jstylen wrote:The game universe was massive, bigger than any other game ever made for sure.

There's Space Engine. It depends on your definition of game as there's nothing to do but gawk and explore, but you can go from a polygonal Mt Everest to the edge of the universe traveling at a modest speed of 326 million light years a second. It takes a couple minutes.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:21 am UTC

Space Engine is just a universe simulator. From what I understand you can't actually DO anything in said universe.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Koa

Postby Koa » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:05 am UTC

Right, as I said. Shores of Hazeron is loosely a game itself though. It's a sandbox game that aspired to be too much, and so to use a metaphor, it had a lot of gears that were rotating but connected to nothing. Therian Saga and most other games are a far more structured experience in comparison.

I just remembered Planet Explorers. It's somewhat similar, except (to my knowledge) there's no space flight.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:35 am UTC

Check out Novus Aeterno (thread on this forum about it) to see if it's what you might be looking for. It's in beta still, but is looking interesting. It'll be a combination 4x and rts in a massive universe.

jstylen

Postby jstylen » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:14 pm UTC

Novus Aeterno looks pretty cool, I might check it it. Still not really what I'm looking for though. Star Citizen is the closest thing I've seen but I can hardly run that. Hopefully I can afford a new video card for that soon :(.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:45 pm UTC

... Have you played EVE Online?

jstylen

Postby jstylen » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:19 pm UTC

A few years back I tried it. Unless the game has significantly changed its really not on the same level as Hazeron was. The best part of Hazeron, IMO, was being able to design a ship and walk around inside it as well as pilot it.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:11 pm UTC

What sort of graphics was it? Usually when I hear about a game that complex, yet I've never heard of it, it means it's a text based MUD or something :p

By the way, thanks for the laugh with your profile pic jstylen.

jstylen

Postby jstylen » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:20 pm UTC

Haha, glad you caught that.

Here's a gameplay video that shows off a good chunk of the features.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn7BRf7XSsU

The graphics weren't anything special but they got the job done.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:44 pm UTC

Oh, this looks like Minecraft in space. Yeah, meh. EVE is more rigid, obviously, you can't make your own structures, but if a completely player driven economy is what you're after, you should check out EVE

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:54 pm UTC

I have to admit the owls got me confused for a while.

jstylen

Postby jstylen » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:02 pm UTC

ORLY?

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Return to “Gaming”