Dragon Age: Inquisition

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Postby Xeio » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:18 pm UTC

So reviews are out (embargo was a week early) and it's looking pretty great all around.

So excited. :mrgreen:

Oh, and you can now pre-load the game... I WANT TO PLAY DAMMIT.

Chen

Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition

Postby Chen » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:58 pm UTC

Oh didn't check pre-loading, will do that this weekend then. The reviews do look good, I'm optimistic. I'm actually interested in how the multiplayer works too. I thought the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer would be stupid and pointless, but it turned out to be quite a bit of fun. Hopefully this one will be similar.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:31 pm UTC

Hrmmm, I haven't even looked into the multiplayer. Though it would be pretty cool if it turned out to be as awesome as ME3 in that respect.

I mostly looked at the combat system videos, looked pretty nice. Can't wait to be murdered by a dragon. :wink:

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:54 pm UTC

I read the review a couple days ago. Forgot to go back and watch the video though so that's something else to do.

The fact they said it moved back towards DA:O in terms of combat makes me really happy. Also no more repeated maps of super tight corridors. Man DA2 really was bad...

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:59 pm UTC

The Inquisition has begun! I had the biggest fucking grin when that title screen came up.

Woo!

EDIT: Oh, and it's amazing. The world is so open and explorable, even more so than the first game.

My biggest complaint may be that in tactical mode you can't zoom out as far as I'd like. I don't tend to use tactical much though, only really for bosses. The AI is mostly competent enough that I play my own character and let the others do their thing most of the time.

Hard mode is definitely ass-kicking early in the game.

Also I SAW MY FIRST DRAGON wheeeee. I was not crazy enough to try and fight it (it was busy anyway). :P

Obby

Postby Obby » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:59 pm UTC

I spent most of my time playing the game just doing the side quests in the first real zone you enter. It's way, way bigger than DA2 and even DA:O, there's so much to explore. Accidentally running across a level 12 rift at level 5... did not go well.

I do have issues with the controls (interacting doesn't cause you to auto-run to it? Really?), but by and large it's been great so far. I think I've only done one of the main story missions, so I still haven't unlocked any of the party members other than Cassandra, Varric, and Solus, but I'm already level 6.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:37 pm UTC

I don't think I got my first party members till around level 7. Once I dipped into the main story I went from 3 party members to 7 very quickly.

I've still only unlocked 3 of the areas. And only one of them is 'mostly' explored, except for the bit with a hoard of enemies that murdered me, and the bit I can't get to because I need more shards, and the bit with that tougher rift... 'mostly'.

I haven't really touched the crafting system either yet, it seems like there's a lot to do there but I'm so busy everywhere else.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:20 pm UTC

Obby wrote:I do have issues with the controls (interacting doesn't cause you to auto-run to it? Really?)

I only played a little yesterday after getting the stuttering and graphics fixed up, but I did find it quite fun. The above issue is very annoying though. They really should fix it. The tactical view is also not great, but it still works better than DA2 in terms of combat. Im quite optimistic about it, we'll see some more when I have a longer session to play tonight.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:01 pm UTC

Tomorrow the arbitrary European release delay has passed, and I get to play this game other regions have enjoyed for two full days.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Obby

Postby Obby » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:12 pm UTC

This game is doing a really good job on those morally grey choices where there isn't a right or wrong way to go. I love it.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:31 pm UTC

Played a little bit more. Man the Hinterlands are freaking HUGE. I also LOVE the fact that the areas don't seem to level with you. I accidentally ran into a level 8 area on my level 3 guys and got my ass whooped. Much better than games like Oblivion or whatever that always had level appropriate enemies around. Much more immersive.

Also got my first horse, but I'm finding it kind of obnoxious to ride. I lose all party banter, can't interact with things or use my searching pulse. I guess for just going point to point its fine, but its bad for exploring.

Im also getting very annoying DirectX errors that crash the game somewhat frequently. Fortunately its also very close to an autosave point (wondering if there's some causal factor there) so I don't lose much, but just loading up the game again is taxing. Loading times are also very long between big zone areas, but that's presumably because there's no loading at all in the huge areas which is very nice.

Combat is taking some getting used to. The tactical camera on the PC is annoying (really no edge scrolling? come on) and I have a hard time keeping characters fixed on their target. Even if I command someone to attack one thing, they'll do one attack and then immediately return to attacking my target. Is there a good way to get NPCs to stay on target? I've found I can use the tactics screen to get them to follow Cass' target which usually works, but sometimes I want Cass to tank the boss, and the rest of the party to clean up adds and that is tedious to do.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:49 pm UTC

I've played for about 5 hours, and have a grabbag of gripes:

• The PC controls are clunky as all hell and tactical mode is like herding cats. I switched to using a controller, which is slightly less painful. Although the menus are still a lovecraftian insanity maze with 35 degrees of freedom and impossible geometry.
  • Using the same button for 'use' as 'jump' is not a good decision.
  • The constant struggle with the camera angle . This is not the sort of a game you want a closely zoomed in over-the-shoulder camera. Half the time I can't even tell what's going on in combat because a tree is covering 80% the screen. It's like you're spending more time fighting the camera than you do fighting the enemies. Very frustrating. Combat is also very busy, and I find it very difficult to figure out what's actually going on half the time. My guys are falling over and exploding and whatever with no clear cause.
  • I seem to have fallen off the main quest the moment I entered the Hinterlands. I don't understand where I'm supposed to go to proceed the story, so I'm just dicking around collecting goat asses, helping elven widows and collecting mysterious shards of something. After about 3 hours of this, I thought I'd found my way back on the main quest, but then I ended back dicking around in the Hinterlands again collecting widgets to keep the peasants happy, so I'm not sure what to think.
  • The lack of a good map means I'm stuck in Skyrim mode half the time, trying to glitch my way up a hill I'm not suppossed to be able to walk up because I can't find the goddamn road that leads to my destination.
  • There is so little music. I remember Dragon Age: Origins being full of this awesomeness. In Inquisition, you're lucky if there are wind or bird noises to go with your footsteps.
  • The game needs a 'rest' mechanism or something to restore health outside of combat that isn't spending half of your available potions :-/ -- right now, quick travel sort of works, but it also tends to take you away from where you want to go. And this game does not need more walking.

Don't get me wrong though, the game is enjoyable enough. But it's a bit rough around the edges in a way I haven't come to expect from Bioware.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:51 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:[*] I seem to have fallen off the main quest the moment I entered the Hinterlands. I don't understand where I'm supposed to go to proceed the story, so I'm just dicking around collecting goat asses, helping elven widows and collecting mysterious shards of something. After about 3 hours of this, I thought I'd found my way back on the main quest, but then I ended back dicking around in the Hinterlands again collecting widgets to keep the peasants happy, so I'm not sure what to think.
I'm not sure if this one was entirely serious, but if you open your journal you can find the main quest under the Inquisition header or something like that and mark it to follow.

You, sir, name? wrote:The game needs a 'rest' mechanism or something to restore health outside of combat that isn't spending half of your available potions :-/ -- right now, quick travel sort of works, but it also tends to take you away from where you want to go. And this game does not need more walking.
Depending on what you're doing with your extra potion slots, you can give characters HoT pots which works well for this. It eats Elfroot though to refill them.

Zcorp

Postby Zcorp » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:27 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:I've played for about 5 hours, and have a grabbag of gripes:

[list]
[*] The PC controls are clunky as all hell and tactical mode is like herding cats. I switched to using a controller, which is slightly less painful. Although the menus are still a lovecraftian insanity maze with 35 degrees of freedom and impossible geometry.

Yeah...I tried it for about 90 minutes on keyboard and mouse, it was so terrible I asked for a refund, which is something I've never done before.

I can't remember the last game I played that was pretty much entirely ruined by UX failures.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:29 am UTC

Xeio wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:[*] I seem to have fallen off the main quest the moment I entered the Hinterlands. I don't understand where I'm supposed to go to proceed the story, so I'm just dicking around collecting goat asses, helping elven widows and collecting mysterious shards of something. After about 3 hours of this, I thought I'd found my way back on the main quest, but then I ended back dicking around in the Hinterlands again collecting widgets to keep the peasants happy, so I'm not sure what to think.
I'm not sure if this one was entirely serious, but if you open your journal you can find the main quest under the Inquisition header or something like that and mark it to follow.

Oh, would you look at that! I was using the 'quest map' to select my quests. Didn't even notice there was a journal, even after looking for one. Derp.

Zcorp wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:I've played for about 5 hours, and have a grabbag of gripes:

[list]
[*] The PC controls are clunky as all hell and tactical mode is like herding cats. I switched to using a controller, which is slightly less painful. Although the menus are still a lovecraftian insanity maze with 35 degrees of freedom and impossible geometry.

Yeah...I tried it for about 90 minutes on keyboard and mouse, it was so terrible I asked for a refund, which is something I've never done before.

I can't remember the last game I played that was pretty much entirely ruined by UX failures.

That seems a bit rash. If you plug in a controller, the controls are significantly less infuriating. There are still a few issues, but it's much, much more playable.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:01 am UTC

Holy fuck, so yea, Hard mode might have been a bad idea.

Got to the Envy demon on the main questline... I literally couldn't beat it even turning AI off and going full tactical mode (got much further doing that though), had to resume play from an hour old save before I started the mission...

Not sure if I was too low level or my equipment wasn't good enough but it could two shot almost every character.

Zcorp

Postby Zcorp » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:33 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:That seems a bit rash. If you plug in a controller, the controls are significantly less infuriating. There are still a few issues, but it's much, much more playable.

If I need to plug in a control to make the experience not terrible how is the UX design for keyboard and mouse something that doesn't ruin the experience? Your statement points out just how fair my statement was, not how harsh it was.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:39 am UTC

Between this and Skyrim I have learned bears are the deadliest wildlife ever.

Also the source of the most ridiculous fights...

So I attacked two bears, while they were going down a third bear shows up. Then 3 assassins wander into the fray, then 5 more hostile wildlife (something smaller than a wolf, not quite sure what it was), then 3 more assassins...

I had to run away by the second set of assassins because two of the bears were still alive from the start and I had used literally every potion in my inventory.

Wish I had thought to hit the record button on shadowplay.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:10 am UTC

Sounds like a Dragon Age 2 fight :P

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:58 pm UTC

Is there some technique for fighting those lanky-ass demons that just appear on top of you and knock you to the ground, constantly interrupting your attacks? They're annoying as hell to deal with.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:23 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Zcorp wrote:

[list]

That seems a bit rash. If you plug in a controller, the controls are significantly less infuriating. There are still a few issues, but it's much, much more playable.

As someone who hates controllers (I did buy one but I think I've never actually used it) and really liked DA:O, I find this and the other comments about tactical view really disappointing. I was looking forward to playing, but was going to wait until the price come down a little (maybe 50%) so I could more easily justify getting the inevitable DLC. Sounds like I should probably wait until it hits the bargain bin instead. :-(

You, sir, name? wrote:I remember Dragon Age: Origins being full of this [music] awesomeness.
In case you are unaware: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 85040EC921

The same guy has DA2 and the Mass Effect series, among others. Basically he extracts the music from the game files and does his own edits -- which gives both more complete and, in many cases, more musically-satisfying presentation of the score.

Xeio wrote:Between this and Skyrim I have learned bears are the deadliest wildlife ever.
bears.jpg

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:09 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Is there some technique for fighting those lanky-ass demons that just appear on top of you and knock you to the ground, constantly interrupting your attacks? They're annoying as hell to deal with.
Not really any easy way, particularly if there are 2+ in a group.

Just make sure to keep spread out (hold position on characters while the demon warps), and additionally you can interrupt the cast where they stand still (though I'm not entirely sure the best way to do that). Also, make sure they're taunted properly and they should generally not hit your ranged characters.

Melee just have to deal with it more or less, but guards should keep them safe-ish.

Unrelatedly, this made me laugh.

Chen

Postby Chen » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:06 pm UTC

While the keyboard/mouse controls are not the greatest, they hardly require going to a controller. What part of the keyboard/mouse controls are people saying are so unusable?

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:31 am UTC

Jesus tap-dancing christ this game is HUMONGOUS! I'm almost 18 hours in, and I've barely even scratched the surface. I've played games that were way shorter than DA:is first act.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:54 am UTC

Chen wrote:While the keyboard/mouse controls are not the greatest, they hardly require going to a controller. What part of the keyboard/mouse controls are people saying are so unusable?
The camera in tactical mode is pretty terrible. Granted, I've only used tactical mode in like 3 fights total when I'm on a nasty boss fight, I like the action mode better.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:21 am UTC

EvanED wrote:As someone who hates controllers (I did buy one but I think I've never actually used it) and really liked DA:O, I find this and the other comments about tactical view really disappointing. I was looking forward to playing, but was going to wait until the price come down a little (maybe 50%) so I could more easily justify getting the inevitable DLC. Sounds like I should probably wait until it hits the bargain bin instead. :-(

After having played some more, I must say while this game leaves a really dubious first impression, it really grows on you after you've spent a few days playing it. I think the biggest flaw of the game is that it's pretty bad at telling you how to play the game. So you initially spend a lot of time getting frustrated with completely avoidable mistakes.

.. except the KB+M conrols. They remain god-awful.

Chen

Postby Chen » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:55 pm UTC

Maybe I'm just used to the keyboard/mouse controls from playing things like WoW and other MMOs. It's almost exactly the same as those when outside of tactical mode.

And yeah the camera in tactical mode is pretty terrible. It really needs to be higher up or something. And no edge scrolling is just a disaster there. Seems to me like it would be even worse with a gamepad, although that again my just be experience talking (or rather lack thereof, don't play a lot of console games).

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:01 am UTC

I have to keep reminding myself that there is in fact a main story that I should be doing...

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:12 am UTC

(See also: every Bethesda game I've ever played.)

Loved DAO, quite liked DA2, really really want to get Inquisition. I think I will try to wait until I hear things like "they finally fixed combat/camera/other", first.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:30 am UTC

I cannot express this in words, so:

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:59 am UTC

... A cheese wheel being used as a shield?

Come to think of it, that's about the only thing Skyrim never lets you do.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:05 pm UTC

Act 1 Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Where are Red Templars supposed to be introduced in the game? With my decisions in Act 1, siding with the mages and never really bothering to clear up the templars from the Hinterlands, people just sort of start talking about them as a faction. I guess they're seen in the time travel mission, but they aren't really given much in terms of exposition.

--
Xeio wrote:I have to keep reminding myself that there is in fact a main story that I should be doing...

I've failed to get sidetracked by the side-quests. Usually they're pretty boring and lacking in context. Fetch this, go there, collect 10 of that, kill 5 of those, etc. Feels like a chore you have to put up with to gather the power and experience needed to progress the story :-/

I'm the leader of the inquisition and I'm on an epic quest to save the world, but first before I do that, I must... search the farmlands for a... druffalo?! Yeah. Doesn't really make sense.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:15 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Act 1 Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Where are Red Templars supposed to be introduced in the game? With my decisions in Act 1, siding with the mages and never really bothering to clear up the templars from the Hinterlands, people just sort of start talking about them as a faction. I guess they're seen in the time travel mission, but they aren't really given much in terms of exposition.

Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure [Not-Skyhold] is destroyed by whichever faction you don't help. In my case the Mages were part of the attacking army.

So you almost certainly fought them, though they may not have explained it adequately. I ended up talking to the mages first, then saving the templars, so I got both sides of the story coincidentally.

Also, I've been having more fun exploring the areas. There's a lot of junk quests, but I think the areas are interesting, and generally lots of lore to be found and people to meet. I like collectibles a bit too much as well.

They tease dragons a lot in the early game... I still haven't fought one though.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:54 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:I'm the leader of the inquisition and I'm on an epic quest to save the world, but first before I do that, I must... search the farmlands for a... druffalo?! Yeah. Doesn't really make sense.

In the beginning, you're not on any epic quest. You're a trumped-up figurehead of a tiny heretical Templar offshoot that's based off in the wilderness because they'd get beat up if they showed their face in a real city. You're mostly just taking advantage of the desperation of a bunch of refugees to try and claim power in the area, and as far as everyone else is concerned, your claims about being able to close rifts and seal the breach are just crazy talk. Getting the locals to like and support you is actually important.

(Finding lost druffalo is probably still a *little* beneath you, but hey, whatever works.)
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:23 am UTC

It simulates real politics, where people ask you for inane things and you can tell them to bugger off.

GeorgeChalfant

Postby GeorgeChalfant » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:36 pm UTC

Honestly, the game seems pretty amazing. After playing for several hours, I do not think that I have even scratched the surface in the game. That is how you know that a game is going to be vast, when you play for several hours and you still do not think that you are close to even getting started.

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:12 pm UTC

Bought the game but can't start it. Apparently the game just refuses to run unless you have a quad core processor but it fails in the most ungraceful way possible (10 minutes of black screen with 100% cpu use before a blue screen of death). The friends I was going to play multiplayer with are having trouble with frequent crashes apparently due to some very recent origin update. Fun all around.
T: ... through an emergency induction port.
S: That's a straw, Tali.
T: Emerrrgency induction port.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:25 pm UTC

Tough luck :-/

I've only had 2 crashes in 30 hours. Although both were really inconveniently timed.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:14 pm UTC

The autosave system in the game is pretty damn good IMO. I had consistent directX crashes until I moved to windowed fullscreen mode, and I never lost more than 5 minutes of play due to them. Since I switched to Windowed Fullscreen I havent had a single other crash which is making things much more pleasant to run.

Killed the dragon in the Hinterlands too. Took a long time since my two mages had a bunch of fire spells and it's almost immune to fire. That was just poor planning on my part though. Some nice loot from it including a staff I need about 3 more levels to use. The AI for ranged characters need to learn how to not stand in fire though (or in front of a dragon's mouth, but I can't really expect that to be coded in).

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:20 pm UTC

I had a crash after a really tough boss fight, during a cut scene, just before the save point. The rage.

Return to “Gaming”