Old Game Archive

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Lostdreams

Old Game Archive

Postby Lostdreams » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:45 pm UTC

As far as old DOS games go, Abandonia has been around a while and has a pretty good collection of games but I recently stumbled upon The Internet Archive, which hosts a pretty good amount.

I figured I'd post it here since we have a few classic game enthusiasts here. I was also unable to find any threads that linked to content like this (free and legal) so I guess this could be the thread for that as well.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Old Game Archive

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:17 pm UTC

Reminder - Abandonia is not legal in the US and many other Nations. I am operating on the assumption that Archive.org's list is legal as I know they host a metric ton of public domain product and cannot see something that big and that findable hosting software they don't have a right to host. I also note that you rarely can download the games, but merely play them through a website version of DOSbox.

As far as not seeing linked content, Wikipedia hosts four lists - Open Source Games, Commercial Games that went Open Source, Freeware Games, and Commercial Games later released as Freeware which, weirdly enough, is something they can legally stopper, though it's damn near impossible to enforce, so they don't usually.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

New User

Postby New User » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:38 pm UTC

I used to go to Abandonia to get "abandonware" games, even though I knew it was illegal. I really didn't know any other way to get some of those games, aside from finding an old floppy disk or CD-ROM at a flea market or something. But now that sites like GOG.com exist for selling older games, I just get them the legit way. In fact, as soon as GOG.com appeared on the scene, Abandonia had a major news post telling everyone about it and that's how I first heard of GOG.com. Now I haven't visited Abandonia in years.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:45 pm UTC

Huh. I legitimately was not aware that abandonia was illegal. They had a few games come down off the site, presumably because they were picked up again by companies to distribute. I just took it at face value. I just figured GOG was selling them because 3 bucks for a function version you don't have to set up yourself was convenient.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:00 am UTC

Yep. In legal terms, the concept of Abandonware simply doesn't exist. If anyone would like to discuss it further, there's a link in the Gaming Rules to a thread in Serious Business. Usually Abandonia is pretty good about removing stuff if the copyright owner starts selling it again.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “Gaming”