Fallout 4

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Koa
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:20 am UTC

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Koa » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:23 pm UTC

The strong fanaticism among most gamers has me pointing out the omens, but otherwise I'm very much "we'll see" as well. If skills were removed, there's nothing more that can be said about it other than FO4 will be doing something different. I think it looks fun but a different kind of fun, action game fun. They may have abandoned the old guard with this entry and are being sly not to talk about it. If they were up front about it I would have nothing to say.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 25403
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Fallout 4

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:11 pm UTC

I fully expect the vanilla game to be buggy as hell and have all kinds of balancing issues, which I will put up with on my first playthrough and then fix with mods for my subsequent dozen or so characters. That's how New Vegas and Skyrim went, and I don't know why it would change here. (Or if I feel it's unplayable in its broken state, I'll hold off until I play AC:Syndicate before patching FO4 and starting over.)

There are clearly ways to improve skills, though it looks like skill increases and perks might be merged somewhat. But for some skills, breaking it down into 100 points hasn't made sense since FO3 anyway. (If you need 25, 50, 75, or 100 in lockpicking before you can even get your bobby pins out for any but the simplest locks, then what was the point of treating that like 100 points instead of 5 levels?)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 25403
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Fallout 4

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:01 pm UTC

Has anyone else started playing yet? I put in a half-hour or so last night when it unlocked on Steam, and I find it interesting so far. The dialogue wheel is a bit annoying, but I haven't yet decided if that's because I don't like it in an absolute sense, or simply because it's different from other Fallout games.

(Speculation based on the first 20 minutes. Don't read it if you want to start the game completely fresh, but if you've obtained your first weapon you're past the point where this could spoil anything.)
Spoiler:
I know FO isn't typically a very twisty franchise, so this isn't so much a prediction as a thought that occurred to me, but I still want to record it here and now in case it turns out to be true:

By the time you're out in the world, your kid has grown up and turns out to be an antagonist for at least part of the main plotline.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Tyndmyr
Posts: 10119
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:22 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Has anyone else started playing yet?


No. I preordered the online bundle, with special edition xbox one and all that crap, from Gamestop. I received a "ready for shipping" update about...an hour ago.

I am not particularly pleased.

User avatar
Carlington
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:46 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Carlington » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:56 am UTC

I sunk six or so hours into it last night, and I'm enjoying it so far. It took me a minute to acclimatise myself to the things that have changed, but once I got past that I found that it's much more accessible than other Fallout titles so far, imo. The main thing I noticed other than the dialogue wheel is that weapons feel a lot more shooter-y than previously, which gives the game more of a shooter/RPG feel, rather than an RPG/shooter feel, if that makes sense.
My main complaint at this point is that the favourite items system was pretty clearly designed with consoles in mind, and doesn't translate well to a keyboard. Of course, there's the little bugs and quirks that people have complained of as well, but it wouldn't really be a Bethesda game without those, would it?

Spoiler:
I'm also enjoying the whole settlement mechanic much more than I anticipated, I'm looking forward to setting Sanctuary up as a well-fortified safe place. The idea of rebuilding really stands out in this one.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

User avatar
Biliboy
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:43 am UTC

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Biliboy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:51 am UTC

Scrap all the things!

That's... that's pretty much it so far for me.

I did enjoy getting thrown straight into some really tough action right off, though I imagine someone new to fallout might have a hard time with it. (first power armor, you'll know it when you get there)

Oh, and doggy is best doggy yes he is!

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 25403
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Fallout 4

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:40 pm UTC

I've only encountered one vendor so far (and he had less than 300 caps), so I've been scrapping pretty much everything as well.

I like the power-armor-requires-power mechanic, even if it is a bit of a pain at this early stage when power supplies are scarce.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Chen
Posts: 5075
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Chen » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:57 pm UTC

So I read that if you scrap things while you're making something you ONLY get the resource needed for the craft, rather than all of them. It's also pretty annoying the only way I've found to scrap items that aren't weapons/armor is to drop them on the ground in your settlement and scrap them by pointing at them and pressing R. Am I doing something wrong here? I'm also constantly out of adhesive which is kind of annoying.

That said I found myself a nice scoped .38 rifle so my sniper build is coming along well. I also found a second minigun which I really don't have a use for (though it had tons of ammo which was nice). Duplicate weapons only seem useful for putting different mods on this time around it seems. I can probably get used to that. Still carrying around 5-10 of those stupid pipe pistols weighs you down pretty quick.

My graphics card is an old Radeon 6850 so I haven't gotten it fully optimized between looks and playability yet. God rays seem to be wholey fucked up on radeon cards so I just turned them off. I need to fiddle with shadows and stuff a bit to get things looking right but also playable.

Spoiler:
The corvega factory is HUGELY laggy outside for some reason. I've seen some forum post speculating its something to do with shadow distance. Will try that tonight.

Also once you have your power armor REMOVE THE FUSION CORE when you're not using it. Otherwise people WILL get into it while it's sitting at your base and run off with it. Also, this is probably a bug, but an almost depleted core sells for the same amount as a full one, so that's a pretty easy way to save money on new cores.

User avatar
DaBigCheez
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Re: Fallout 4

Postby DaBigCheez » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:13 pm UTC

Chen wrote:So I read that if you scrap things while you're making something you ONLY get the resource needed for the craft, rather than all of them.

I have done some personal testing and verified this is NOT true. Specifically, I was making a machinegun turret (which requires 2 Oil), while I had 1 Oil and a Gold-Plated Flip Lighter, which scraps to Gold+Oil+Steel. There was no Gold in my workshop before making the turret; after the lighter was auto-scrapped for Oil, the workshop's inventory contained 1 Gold. So, it seems like it does give you the full materials for scrapping that part, at least for building Workshop items; I'm not sure if stuff from Armor/Weapon/etc. workbenches is less accommodating.

EDIT: Chemistry Workbench, at least, does the same thing. The extra parts are stored in the workbench inventory, rather than your own.
Last edited by DaBigCheez on Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

User avatar
Obby
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:37 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Obby » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:16 pm UTC

The game runs swimmingly, for the most part. It appears that my upgraded machine it very overpowered for Fallout 4. Unfortunately, it appears that they tied some things to the frame rate (namely physics processing), which means my vastly overpowered machine now has a slew of bugs that I never really experienced in FO3 or Skyrim. Which makes sense, since my old computer was capable of running these games maxed out, but still only at around 60-70 FPS. Now that I can hammer out 144 FPS no problem... weird things happen.

For instance: my game will basically freeze my character's feet in place upon exiting a computer terminal. I can look around, I can see things happening in the game world around me, but I cannot interact with anything and I cannot move. The only fix is to re-load the game, which is particularly frustrating if I forgot to quick-save before entering the terminal. Turning off VSync seemed to have helped, but it still happens ~50% of the time I use a computer. I'm going to try locking my framerate to a lower values (sub-100) through the GeForce utility thing tonight when I get home.

Also, I've found three different power armors so far. Two of them are incomplete sets, and I only have two fusion cores, but it's hilarious seeing the residents hop in to power armor to defend your base from radroaches.

I still really haven't decided on a real build yet, either. I have the perk that gives me uncommon crafting materials from scrapping, and the one that gives me better prices at vendors, but I haven't encountered any vendors yet...
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 25381
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Fallout 4

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:29 pm UTC

If I saw a roach the size of a miniature dachshund, you bet your ass I'd jump in nuclear reactor powered armor before stomping it, if I had such armor available.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 25403
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Fallout 4

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:38 pm UTC

Obby wrote:The game runs swimmingly, for the most part. It appears that my upgraded machine it very overpowered for Fallout 4. Unfortunately, it appears that they tied some things to the frame rate (namely physics processing), which means my vastly overpowered machine now has a slew of bugs that I never really experienced in FO3 or Skyrim. Which makes sense, since my old computer was capable of running these games maxed out, but still only at around 60-70 FPS. Now that I can hammer out 144 FPS no problem... weird things happen.

For instance: my game will basically freeze my character's feet in place upon exiting a computer terminal. I can look around, I can see things happening in the game world around me, but I cannot interact with anything and I cannot move. The only fix is to re-load the game, which is particularly frustrating if I forgot to quick-save before entering the terminal. Turning off VSync seemed to have helped, but it still happens ~50% of the time I use a computer. I'm going to try locking my framerate to a lower values (sub-100) through the GeForce utility thing tonight when I get home.
That's not simply a matter of your computer being overpowered, since I bought my new computer specifically with the intent of being able to run FO4 on the highest possible settings, and haven't had any of the issues you mentioned. (I figured it was about time for an upgrade, and the specific timing seemed appropriate, since I bought my previous computer because FO3 wouldn't play on my old one.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Koa
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:20 am UTC

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Koa » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:56 pm UTC

The simulation is tied to FPS. Higher FPS means faster everything, impossible lockpicking, the terminal softlock, unable to use power armor and probably several other things. It seems best to disable vsync and limit the frame rate.
Last edited by Koa on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 25403
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Fallout 4

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:28 pm UTC

Huh, then I guess those already must be in my settings somewhere.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Koa
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:20 am UTC

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Koa » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:47 pm UTC

I think it's mainly about your monitor's refresh rate. Vsync is on by default, so if you have a slower monitor it will limit your FPS to below the threshold of these issues, while also introducing some input delay.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 25403
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Fallout 4

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:16 pm UTC

Oh right, forgot about the fact that I'm using a fairly cheap monitor.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Biliboy
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:43 am UTC

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Biliboy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:37 pm UTC

Seems to be confirmed that the scrapping things in crafting is a visual bug only, the components will update eventually, you won't lose anything.

After watching a twitch streamer a bit today at work, I'm considering starting another run at the highest difficulty. It seems that there's a higher chance at legendary monsters and really nice drops at higher difficulties... I'm feeling the old diablo loot addiction starting to kick in...

Are there any companions so far that are worth having compared to the awesomeness that is dogmeat?

User avatar
DaBigCheez
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Re: Fallout 4

Postby DaBigCheez » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:57 am UTC

Minor issue I'm having, as I start to get more established - is there any good way to locate settlers within your settlements? Any way to make them show up as a compass pip, anything like that? All I've seen for tips are things like "put all the beds in one building so they stay nearby", but even then, I have one settlement with 5 people and I can only find 2 of them. (Provisioners notwithstanding, for this.)
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

User avatar
Biliboy
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:43 am UTC

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Biliboy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:36 am UTC

Other than actually trapping them in walls, I'm not sure.

Realized I could change difficulty level in my first game. I cleared a location of raiders, and then ran into two legendary radroaches in a row, both who dropped some nice loot. Leather right arm with 15% super mutant damage reduction and a Powered Leather Chest (increased ap regen). Playing on Survival is going to take using perks I normally skip, like damage reduction and extra health.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 25403
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Fallout 4

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:31 am UTC

How do provisioners work, anyway? I'm assuming they give construction access to the workshop supplies from both settlements, but the actual containers aren't linked?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
DaBigCheez
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Re: Fallout 4

Postby DaBigCheez » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:46 am UTC

Seems to be, yeah. If I'm trying to build stuff in construction mode, it lists all the resources, but if I go into the actual workshop inventory it only has what's physically there. Supposedly food/water can be shared too, but I haven't seen where that's indicated and I've heard rumors it may be glitched.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 25403
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Fallout 4

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:07 am UTC

Food and water aren't really a big deal for me anyway. Once I figured out you could harvest from one settlement's crops to plant another's, everyone's pretty quickly self-sufficient in that regard.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Koa
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:20 am UTC

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Koa » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:54 am UTC

DaBigCheez wrote:Minor issue I'm having, as I start to get more established - is there any good way to locate settlers within your settlements?

There's a gathering bell under resources>misc.

User avatar
DaBigCheez
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Re: Fallout 4

Postby DaBigCheez » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:16 am UTC

Yep, just found that recently and it works like a charm :)

Also, huzzah for dogglegoggles! Someone recently clued me in to the fact that the "Lone Wanderer" perk line still functions if you have Dogmeat as a companion; I know at least the +carrycapacity does, but due to the way it's worded, I'm not 100% certain whether that's the case or whether the +carry always applies regardless of companion status. Was trying to swap companions to check, but Codsworth got stuck on the roof and is refusing to come back down. :|

EDIT: Confirmed with Preston - if I swap companions, I go from sufficient carry weight to overburdened the instant Dogmeat leaves. Guess it's specific to him. Just as well - why would I want anyone else? B)
Last edited by DaBigCheez on Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

User avatar
Biliboy
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:43 am UTC

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Biliboy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:40 pm UTC

That is awesome and further cements dogmeat as a permanent companion, with his widdle bandana and welding goggles. Who's a good doggy!?

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 8382
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Fallout 4

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:31 am UTC

So... is the game worth getting immediately, or can I wait six months until it goes on sale?

User avatar
Koa
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:20 am UTC

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Koa » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:57 am UTC

Only you can really answer that, but I would guess that it might be 10% off next month. I wasn't expecting to play it so soon but an frenemy gave me a copy. I went in with zero expectations, I think Fallout 3 is awful.

It's... pretty good... Relative to my expectations it's damned amazing. The haze of the hype and antihype has lifted and all I see is a moderately above average game. The hysteria about it was always unjustified but the hate about it seems unjustified as well. It's swell so far.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 25403
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Fallout 4

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:56 pm UTC

Biliboy wrote:with his widdle bandana and welding goggles.
It hadn't even occurred to me that you could make him wear stuff that wasn't specifically marked as being for a dog.

Still, I like some of the commentary the human (and humanoid) companions have, and since you can romance all the human companions I've obviously got to try with at least a few of them.

Which is now okay since I know my son is
Spoiler:
still a kid, though several years older than an infant.

At the beginning, I wasn't going to romance anyone who might have been him all grown up.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Biliboy
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:43 am UTC

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Biliboy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:57 pm UTC

It's... pretty good... Relative to my expectations it's damned amazing. The haze of the hype and antihype has lifted and all I see is a moderately above average game. The hysteria about it was always unjustified but the hate about it seems unjustified as well. It's swell so far.


Yeah you always have to account for hype. I knew going in that it would be a 'fallout' game, that is, amazing concept, occasionally wonky execution. I couldn't even finish fallout 3 because of random crashes on my computer that I was never able to track down the cause of. Despite that I enjoyed the story and the gameplay.

Also, heeeerees doggy!

ScreenShot0.jpg

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 8382
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Fallout 4

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:17 pm UTC

I've been playing with Doggy since Fallout 2.5 (Arcanum), and the only other Fallout game I've played was Fallout 0 (Wasteland), and even then just for an hour to see what the hype was.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 25403
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Fallout 4

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:25 am UTC

My favorite screenshot so far is this one I took in the Hatch Shell after a Vertibird crashed right out front and killed most of the people there. The ones left standing seem awfully nonchalant about the whole thing.

Image
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Obby
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:37 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Obby » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:30 pm UTC

I think this is my favorite screenshot that I've taken so far (linked due to 1440p). It reminds me of Hamlet. I believe I took it in the basement of a chem factory at the east end of town, near the water.

I have another one that's a flamingo lawn ornament drinking out of a urinal, which is a close second.

CorruptUser wrote:So... is the game worth getting immediately, or can I wait six months until it goes on sale?


That's really your call. For what it's worth, I've gotten way more in to FO4 than I have any other Fallout game (though I have not played New Vegas). It's not perfect, and I think Koa hit it pretty well spot on. Once you get past the hype, you're left with a good game that does a lot of things right, but still stumbles in the traditional Bethesda fashions that all their games seem to do. Weird random glitches, like Dogmeat leaping at an enemy and flying off into the stratosphere only to land 10 seconds later like "sup bro? u rdy?", are not unheard of. But I think the world building is what Bethesda is really good at, and they've done a really great job of that here (both in terms of setting, and in terms of literal world building with the whole settlement system). Random quirky characters and funny side-quests are all over the place.

All in all, if you're a fan of other Bethesda games, you'll probably like it. If you aren't, then you probably won't.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Chen
Posts: 5075
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Chen » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:38 pm UTC

Man starting with a 3 charisma was probably not a great idea since it requires a 6 to get that local leader perk so I can setup trade routes and stores and stuff. Oh well just a couple levels of bumping that up I guess. Not like I'm having much trouble killing things (especially if I get in the power armor which is nicely upgraded to model D at the moment).

I got a fancy wounding sniper rifle too. So if they don't die in one shot from it they tend to bleed to death shortly after anyways which works. Got a full set of polymerized combat armor (except for a leather shoulder piece that gives 15% damage reduction from humans). I'm still trying to figure out what weapon to give to Piper. Currently its a modded out 10 mm pistol (since I'm not using that ammo type). Do companions have specific proficiency with one weapon or another?

Tyndmyr
Posts: 10119
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:32 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:So... is the game worth getting immediately, or can I wait six months until it goes on sale?


It's a pretty good game overall. I'm not too put out that my arrival was a couple of days late(though I'll not order from Gamestop online for future releases), and would say it's worth grabbing now if you're jonesing for something to play, and like the experience of chatting with others as they go through it too. Literally everyone is playing the game now, so that's really nifty.

Do corpses eventually fade? I've had some in game a while now, and while at first it was annoying, I thought about lugging them back to my base and making a giant pile.

Also, I started with charisma 1. Do not do this thing. No.

Chen
Posts: 5075
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Chen » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:38 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:Do corpses eventually fade? I've had some in game a while now, and while at first it was annoying, I thought about lugging them back to my base and making a giant pile.


Yeah and fairly quickly I've found for the most part. After killing all the raiders in concorde I had used one to store all the crap I picked up since I couldn't fast travel. On the second trip back it had already disappeared =/

If they're not disappearing maybe it's a bug? Or some sort of special body/item type on the corpse that doesn't let them disappear.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 25403
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Fallout 4

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:45 pm UTC

Corpses you kill fade, but the pre-war skeletons seem not to. Which wouldn't be a problem if you could scrap them in settlements (bone is an ingredient, after all), but you can't. So the Starlight Drive-In has "nice" shacks and stores and such, but also remains littered with bones.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 5247
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Thesh » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:15 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:So... is the game worth getting immediately, or can I wait six months until it goes on sale?


As has been said, it's all personal preference, but given my experience with Bethesda games I'm personally going to wait until there are a few official patches, and at least one unofficial patch. Plus, I think I'd like to upgrade from my Radeon HD 7850 first.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

Chen
Posts: 5075
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Chen » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:23 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:As has been said, it's all personal preference, but given my experience with Bethesda games I'm personally going to wait until there are a few official patches, and at least one unofficial patch. Plus, I think I'd like to upgrade from my Radeon HD 7850 first.


I had to turn many settings to low or off but I can run it pretty well on my Radeon 6850 which is pretty surprising. There are definitely things that could be optimized better though. Going to a borderless window instead of full screen seems to have removed a huge lag I was getting when in Outdoor areas where you can overlook city buildings in the background. Shadow distance seems to be an issue there too even on strong machines from what I was reading on Reddit.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 25403
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Fallout 4

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:27 pm UTC

It's funny how much past experience with Bethesda has affected my standards for what counts as a glitch in one of their games.

After a few days with FO4 I thought to myself how non-buggy it was, but then I realized that I've experienced tons of small bugs, just none that have crashed to desktop or corrupted my save or otherwise made anything totally unplayable. Which is pretty damn great from the first couple days of a Bethesda release.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18636
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:35 pm UTC

I ask totally not sarcastically, but as someone who has played a lot of Bethesda games in the past, and thought a few hilarious bugs/glitches popped up every now and then, are Bethesda games particularly known for being buggy/glitchy?

Have I just gotten fortunate and not really pushed my luck with game breaking behavior?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests