Factorio - automate ALL the things!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

KnightExemplar

Re: Factorio - automate ALL the things!

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri May 05, 2017 5:43 pm UTC

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46452

•Changed production science pack recipe to require assembling machine 1 instead of pumpjack.
•Changed science pack 3 to require electric mining drill instead of assembling machine 1.

Fuck. This would have made my life easier. But I'm well into High-Tech science now, and it'd be a pain to change my "starter base" to use these easier formulas. Fortunately, I'm in the middle of building my main base, and I haven't done my main-stage science yet. But my "Starter Base" is cranking away. I don't feel like redesigning my "starter base", but I'm many hours from getting a usable "main base".

I'll go for the new update only once my main-base is ready for science. But for now, I don't want to halt my science advancement due to the update.

raudorn wrote:The PA is finished and working quite fine.

You keep saying PA, and I hoped that I'd understand by now... does "PA" mean "Primary Area" ?? Or... something else? Very elegant base btw. It looks like you have a very well designed rail network, and I'm not seeing any obvious issues with your rail network design either.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Fri May 05, 2017 6:23 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:
•Changed production science pack recipe to require assembling machine 1 instead of pumpjack.
•Changed science pack 3 to require electric mining drill instead of assembling machine 1.

Fuck.

Ha, yeah, that change came kinda out of left field. They filed it under balancing, so I guess they wanted to streamline the progression for new players even more and rebalance the iron/steel requirements.

KnightExemplar wrote:You keep saying PA, and I hoped that I'd understand by now... does "PA" mean "Primary Area" ?? Or... something else? Very elegant base btw. It looks like you have a very well designed rail network, and I'm not seeing any obvious issues with your rail network design either.

Thanks, it's a rail design that I think I saw on some stream, but can't remember where. It does have some flaws that make it a poor choice for a true RPM+ megabase, but for everything smaller I guess it's fine.

PA means production area. As far as I know it's not a term usually used in the factorio community, but I use it for the area where all the item get produced, that aren't meant for consumption in the further production of science or rocket parts. I guess "the shop" would be fitting too, since you walk in, order a bunch of stuff and bots bring it to you.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri May 05, 2017 6:44 pm UTC

raudorn wrote:
KnightExemplar wrote:

Fuck.

Ha, yeah, that change came kinda out of left field. They filed it under balancing, so I guess they wanted to streamline the progression for new players even more and rebalance the iron/steel requirements.

I agree with the changes. To get to my current point in my current map, I mined out ~4 different Iron Ore patches but only ~1 Copper patch. The new changes greatly reduce the Iron Ore consumption in the mid-game. Hmm, maybe I should update for my 0.15 run. The changes definitely make those late-game science packs cheaper overall.

KnightExemplar wrote:You keep saying PA, and I hoped that I'd understand by now... does "PA" mean "Primary Area" ?? Or... something else? Very elegant base btw. It looks like you have a very well designed rail network, and I'm not seeing any obvious issues with your rail network design either.

Thanks, it's a rail design that I think I saw on some stream, but can't remember where. It does have some flaws that make it a poor choice for a true RPM+ megabase, but for everything smaller I guess it's fine.

PA means production area. As far as I know it's not a term usually used in the factorio community, but I use it for the area where all the item get produced, that aren't meant for consumption in the further production of science or rocket parts. I guess "the shop" would be fitting too, since you walk in, order a bunch of stuff and bots bring it to you.

Yeah, I think more people call it "the store" or "the shop". I personally call it the store.

-------------

I've been trying to look at everyone's rail designs. I want to hit 1-Rocket per Minute (especially now that rockets generate science, and that infinite-science gives a real goal to march towards). But my experiments with railroads demonstrates that bottlenecks are very common, and that the 2-rail network with 1-2 trains has maybe ~3500 Ore per second limitation... at least... a 1-1 Train has a ~2000 Ore per Second limitation and I'm assuming 1-2 trains can handle slightly less than double.

I've tried to wrap my head around a 4-rail network (2-rails in both directions), but I don't quite understand the balancing or how the bottlenecks would evolve.

My current design is to have to separate rails networks. I've named the two networks "Outposts" and "Smithy". These are connected by a Logistic Network. I know that at Megabase size, Logistic Networks are bottlenecked by the charging stations of Roboports, but ~75 Logistic Bots per Roboport... plus a large scattering of Roboports + thousands of bots should be able to handle the load (famous last words anybody??).

I'm hoping that resolves the bottleneck issue when the base grows to megabase size. But I'm many hours away from being able to accomplish this and test the idea...
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Return to “Gaming”