Factorio - automate ALL the things!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Factorio - automate ALL the things!

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:50 am UTC

Probably the same way you active all prepurchases on Steam? Go to the menu that has 'Activate Steam Game' or 'Redeem Steam Key' or whatever.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:49 am UTC

I just bought this game yesterday. I bet it's perfect for distracting me from my Minecraft addiction, right? Right?

Anyway, I can already see the appeal and I'm still figuring out how to play this game properly. I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to feed Science Labs manually.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:52 pm UTC

raudorn wrote:I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to feed Science Labsdo anything manually.

ftfy. Basically, barring a few fringe cases (guns, armors... I think that's it), once you get things going, don't do anything manually anymore.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:33 pm UTC

raudorn wrote:I just bought this game yesterday. I bet it's perfect for distracting me from my Minecraft addiction, right? Right?

Anyway, I can already see the appeal and I'm still figuring out how to play this game properly. I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to feed Science Labs manually.

There are some who argue that you should keep things as tight and efficient as possible, semi-regularly breaking down and rebuilding for better efficiency.

There are some who argue that you should be okay with more or less inefficient design as long as the output is meeting your expectations - aka if you have a green circuit maker over here, why tear it down when it's working? After all, it's not like space is an issue.

And then there are some who argue for a hybrid approach - ie let it sprawl at first, but once you get Roboports, Construction Robots, Blueprints, the Deconstructor Planner, and the logistic Storage Chests..... THEN you start tearing things down and rebuilding. Because fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck taking shit apart by hand.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:43 pm UTC

Once you have logistics, rebuilding is super easy.

A friend and I were working on a super efficient factory. The first like, 45m or so was kind of a drag because it looks like spagetti, but once you can tear down quickly and use blueprints, it's quite easy to do a giant mainbus of copper/iron plates, and build off that.

Something that's easy to forget is the inserter bonus doesn't matter when you're grabbing from belts.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:39 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm starting to feel the satisfaction of not doing much manually any more, except maybe crafting stuff you don't need that often. I don't need an assembler making electric drills, but I'd hate to make ammo by hand, so now there's a small subcomplex doing that for me.
Next I need to figure out how deal with large nests effectively, because they are starting to look really terrifying on the minimap. I successfully employed turret creep on the smaller nests, but the large ones make quick work of the turrets with their worms. I haven't even started doing oil production, so laser turrets are right out. I think a tank might be a intermediate solution. I just hope I can drive the damn thing. In the campaign, where you get the car, I disrupted my entire factory for half a minute because I knocked power lines over. Twice.

Also, there's an overlap in gameplay with a certain other game:

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:20 pm UTC

Get tank. Don't bother shooting, just drive into everything.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:03 pm UTC

Get a personalized robo factory, stamp down laser turrets. Automate even your combat.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:57 am UTC

Also be sure to set up a portion of your factory to making piercing bullets and shotgun shells, as well as destroyer and distractor capsules. You might be tempted to use piercing bullets for yourself, but don't bother, they should only be used for turrets and vehicles. Shotgun for yourself, FTW. I never bother with tank shells though I really should...

Also once you get the logistic system set up, create a minifactory for the stuff you don't need massproduced but still want some of, like red inserters, splitters, blue assemblers, engines, etc. Just have one assembler manufacturing each item you want, and have them packed together with a belt around them; this belt will be both input and output. Along with these, have some intermediate product assemblers; pipes, gears, etc. You want other belts feeding this belt, but feeding smart chests. Iron, steel, copper, bricks, and electronics (or you could have an electronics assembler in the main area). Feed the inner assemblers with smart inserters. Along this belt, have smart inserters pulling out specific items into smart chests. Link all to the logistics system. Set the smart inserters to only activate if there are less than 50 of the desired item in a chest. Eg, for red inserters, if there are less than 50 in the smart chests smart inserters will feed the gears, yellow inserter, and red inserter assemblers, and pull in only iron and electronics onto the belt.

Here is an obsolete version but gives you an understanding of what I'm getting at.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:22 am UTC

I actually never bothered with bullets for turrets. Lasers ftw.

"But Izawwlgood, that takes so much power!" you might say.

More dakka, I say.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:29 am UTC

More power? Big deal, just have a decent outflow of green circuits and steel for your panels, clear out more Lebensraum for your powerplants, call it a day.

One mod I want someone to make is to turn your character into one of the Captain Planet villains, and in the endgame instead of Behemoth Biters you fight Planeteers.

Really, the only reason to use solar panels instead of steam power is to avoid the evolution that occurs when enemy bases absorb pollution.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:25 pm UTC

Well, that and the fact they don't require an input of coal.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:02 pm UTC

Assuming you aren't using solid fuel. Because oil is renewable!

But seriously, I find that my brain breaks when trying anything other than the artery method. Have a central line of iron and copper, 2 lanes each. A few squares away, lines of steel, bricks, and 2 lines of green circuits. In between, you can have lube petrol and sulphuric acid pipes. Using splitters and underground belts, break off the lines to produce what you need. This will provide everything you need, unless you want to go super factory.

At which point you have dedicated smelter stations supplied by trains, ore harvesting mines, a dedicated region to making nothing but circuits and fed by iron and copper smelters, logistic robots, etc.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:35 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Also be sure to set up a portion of your factory to making piercing bullets and shotgun shells, as well as destroyer and distractor capsules. You might be tempted to use piercing bullets for yourself, but don't bother, they should only be used for turrets and vehicles. Shotgun for yourself, FTW. I never bother with tank shells though I really should...

Also once you get the logistic system set up, create a minifactory for the stuff you don't need massproduced but still want some of, like red inserters, splitters, blue assemblers, engines, etc. Just have one assembler manufacturing each item you want, and have them packed together with a belt around them; this belt will be both input and output. Along with these, have some intermediate product assemblers; pipes, gears, etc. You want other belts feeding this belt, but feeding smart chests. Iron, steel, copper, bricks, and electronics (or you could have an electronics assembler in the main area). Feed the inner assemblers with smart inserters. Along this belt, have smart inserters pulling out specific items into smart chests. Link all to the logistics system. Set the smart inserters to only activate if there are less than 50 of the desired item in a chest. Eg, for red inserters, if there are less than 50 in the smart chests smart inserters will feed the gears, yellow inserter, and red inserter assemblers, and pull in only iron and electronics onto the belt.

Here is an obsolete version but gives you an understanding of what I'm getting at.

Thanks for the hint. I've tried it on a small, independent factory with it's own iron/copper supply, but haven't quite figured everything out yet. Eh, I'll get there eventually.

I'm now 16h into my first freeplay factory and I'm now at the point where I'll tear down everything past the smelters and rebuild. I did head the warnings to leave plenty of space between subsystems, but I still managed to cook spaghetti, mostly because I relied on the "snake" school of belt layout. This went well until I wanted another blue science assembler. Yeah, I'll just need to move everything to the left. The other problem is really no neat way to deal with excess production of intermediate products. Wouldn't be a problem if I had laid the belts for them out properly, but you know...

On a side note: I can confirm. Tanks need no stinking ammo, just keep holding W.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:49 pm UTC

I think they should release a few more updates, then work on factorio 2.

Things to have:
3D
Actual variety in terrain
Boats and ports
Mega-assemblers; you can already do that now, sort of, but basically large assemblers that can make intermediate products internally (eg, yellow inserters by being fed iron and copper, but is one large block vs 4 regular blocks).
Actual variety of enemies. Only 3 types now, needs 'stealth' enemies that are detected by radar, flying enemies, swimmers, etc
Nuclear power and waste disposal; fuckton of energy, and low pollution, but very heavy industry required; as a side product depleted uranium for ultra powerful bullets, neutron bombs, etc
Electrified trains, if you want em. More train types
More vehicle types; maybe I want a drag racer with less armor
Mech warrior vehicle! Muwhahaha! Fires bullets 3x as fast as machine gun (Gatling gun) flamethrower, and rockets!!

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:48 am UTC

There's been a lot of discussion about where to go with the game on /r/factorio.

One of my favorites is the notion of buildings you plop down, but then require 'assembly' or being fed with materials, similar to a rocket. Only when they are finished assembling do they 'do' a thing.

This would be for megastructures. Deep core drills, power, larger assemblers, etc.

And could lead the way to more involved and interesting things like arriving colonists needing to be supported, and larger enemies that need to be fended off.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:13 am UTC

So... Titan Biters? Chomp in area of effect, make mincemeat of even tanks and trains. Need a superweapon to destroy? One weapon being a paris gun, requiring 50 explosives and 200 steel just for the bullet.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:26 am UTC

I am here to also enthuse about this game.

I just started about a week ago. My brother hosted a startup last night- he had just jumped into electric power on his map. Neither of us had played multiplayer before. I just launched off my first satellite in peaceful mode to understand how everything works, so now I was ready to tackle normal mode with him.

We started the multiplayer session at about 7PM and stopped about 5 hours later, because neither of us wanted to stop but were exhausted. We were just about to start up blue science at that point, and I think that is really good within a 5 hour range.

So I really recommend multiplayer if you can find someone who wants to do different things- I was coming up with the setups to advance the sciences, and he was backing me up with refilling turrets and replenishing power. He's the kinda guy who doesn't mind getting his hands dirty clearing nests, and I don't mind figuring out oil. You're not exactly moving 2x faster, but you're still feeling really useful the whole time.

What this multiplayer does right by being Factorio: Unlike Don't Starve, you're not dooming the party by being idle since you're not eating everyone else's well-earned food. So you go ahead and surround yourself with walls and take that shower- no one's going to notice you're missing unless you were the turret-refilling guy. Of course, the real danger is in letting that crazy person come in and turning all your conveyor belts into spaghetti.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with Steam matchmaking services in the (hopefully) near future. I plan on logging onto a server and building a train supply chain for someone- however it connects to only one other resource station that is hundreds of miles away, where I will exist there as a mysterious supply hermit.

Speaking of trains, my next solo run: Playing with "Resource Spawner Overhaul" Mod (RSO). It gives you a small cluster of needed resources at your spawn point, but then all remaining resources are scattered away much farther than normal. When you find a resource, it is typically much bigger and richer, allowing for trains to make much more sense.
Spoiler:
Factorio RTO Mod.png
A quick run around the local map

The farther you run out from the center, the tougher the enemies are. I wanted to see how rewarding it was to locate oil far away, and found +600% richness.
Spoiler:
Factorio RTO Mod oil.png

You can see from the map it is quite far away from the start.
Spoiler:
Factorio RTO Mod.png
A quick run around the local map
Attachments
Factorio RTO mod distance.png

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:40 am UTC

Learn to love that car!

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:25 am UTC

At least until you get power armor MKII, then you love having 8 exoskeletons. Well, assuming you don't have a bunch of personal roboports instead, for mass constructing anything anywhere.

Obby

Postby Obby » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:27 pm UTC

So I purchased this game a few days ago, mostly thanks to this thread but it also looked really interesting on the couple of Youtube videos I watched about it. So far I think I have maybe 12 hours into it, and have restarted a couple times using what I learned from previous attempts. I think the furthest I have made it was just as most of the research was requiring blue material, which I realize is not very far.

I think, finally, I'm at the point where I understand my biggest problem - building things too close together. The land area is huge, and I've been unnecessarily building things closer together in order to minimize the amount of belts that I will need. This turns out to mostly be unnecessary except in the very early game, since (assuming I set up my iron plate production properly) the amount of resources I produce turns out to be vastly more than what I actually need early on. For instance, my first go at the game I had 1 miner and 1 smelter producing iron plates. I quickly hit the bottleneck for that, so my next playthrough I went with what I felt (at the time) was extreme overkill - 8 miners and 6 smelters. This dramatically increased my iron plate production to the point where I made it all the way up to the aforementioned blue research material before I really started noticing another bottleneck, this time in my iron gear and copper wire production.

I just started a new game last night, and I'm planning on doing full-on production "areas" for each type of early production material - copper wires, iron gears, green circuit boards, etc - that are decently spaced from each other in order to allow a more modular and scalable approach to my automation. The only downside is I will have to run long stretches of belts until I research railroads, but I don't think it will be a huge deal.

Now it turns out that I don't have nearly enough time to play the game as much as I would like.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:55 pm UTC

Obby wrote:So I purchased this game a few days ago, mostly thanks to this thread but it also looked really interesting on the couple of Youtube videos I watched about it. So far I think I have maybe 12 hours into it, and have restarted a couple times using what I learned from previous attempts. I think the furthest I have made it was just as most of the research was requiring blue material, which I realize is not very far.

I think, finally, I'm at the point where I understand my biggest problem - building things too close together. The land area is huge, and I've been unnecessarily building things closer together in order to minimize the amount of belts that I will need. This turns out to mostly be unnecessary except in the very early game, since (assuming I set up my iron plate production properly) the amount of resources I produce turns out to be vastly more than what I actually need early on. For instance, my first go at the game I had 1 miner and 1 smelter producing iron plates. I quickly hit the bottleneck for that, so my next playthrough I went with what I felt (at the time) was extreme overkill - 8 miners and 6 smelters. This dramatically increased my iron plate production to the point where I made it all the way up to the aforementioned blue research material before I really started noticing another bottleneck, this time in my iron gear and copper wire production.

I just started a new game last night, and I'm planning on doing full-on production "areas" for each type of early production material - copper wires, iron gears, green circuit boards, etc - that are decently spaced from each other in order to allow a more modular and scalable approach to my automation. The only downside is I will have to run long stretches of belts until I research railroads, but I don't think it will be a huge deal.

Now it turns out that I don't have nearly enough time to play the game as much as I would like.

Re-Ore Smelting Optimization.

Miners that aren't mining (because the belt is clogged) are not producing pollution nor are they eating power. So ideally the belt is clogged completely with ore before it gets to your smelting area. It appears to me that faster belts hold more items, but blue belts look like they move so quickly that blue arms can't grab from them.

Regarding the smelters, the ones at the end of the belt should barely, if ever, be working. Because there should be so many smelters pulling ore from the belt and smelting it, there's no ore by the time it gets to the end.

There's three kinds of smelters - the stone ones, the steel and brick ones, and the electric ones. The last two are twice as fast as the stone one, and the electric one only needs power.

Point being, I think it's 14 of the steel and brick/electric ones to completely empty a stuffed Yellow Belt.

In essence, you should be stuffing a wall of ore in one end, and nothing coming out the other end.

At the same time, the output belts should also be basically clogged too. If an arm can't put ore down and you're using both sides of the belt, you're doing a good job.

At least, that's how I see it. I'm probably wrong.
Attachments
forges.png
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:40 am UTC

A convenient rule-of-thumb is that 1 electric drill should be able to near-exactly keep 1 steel/electric furnace continually fed. (2 stone furnaces are needed to keep up with it.) My usual "basic" setup is about 8 drills and 8 steel furnaces, and the last furnace seems to have about a 50-70% duty cycle, while the others are constantly running.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Obby

Postby Obby » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:55 pm UTC

DaBigCheez wrote:A convenient rule-of-thumb is that 1 electric drill should be able to near-exactly keep 1 steel/electric furnace continually fed. (2 stone furnaces are needed to keep up with it.) My usual "basic" setup is about 8 drills and 8 steel furnaces, and the last furnace seems to have about a 50-70% duty cycle, while the others are constantly running.

This is what I just figured out last night, too. Right now I have 6 electric drills feeding 6 stone furnaces to make iron plates, and right now my stone furnaces are bottlenecking the rest of my production with unprocessed ore sitting on the belts from my drills. I just unlocked steel furnaces so I'm hoping to replace all my stone furnaces tonight with those, and maybe add one or two more drills. But I believe this will probably reveal bottlenecks further down the production chain, but for now my plan is to get my red/green research material production completely automated, and then try and start a second area for production of blue research material (I got lucky and have three or four rather large iron and copper ore sites that weren't too far from my starting area).
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:41 pm UTC

Keep in mind that inserters have a drain on your electric grid even if not moving, so it may be better to use yellow inserters where blue aren't needed.

Or just expand your solar farm.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:05 pm UTC

Fucking hell this game sucks you in. It's worse than Civilization :O

Where did the sunlight go?
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:00 pm UTC

Hmm, yes. So I played a bunch and ended up with 1023 conveyor belts.

My factory looked like this:
Spoiler:

A damn nightmare to keep track of what's going on :O

So I decided to try to avoid having intermediate products on conveyor belts as far as possible.

Ended up like this:

Spoiler:

Much easier to keep track of what happens, and sub-factories can easily be replicated over and over again to increase capacity. Although it's pretty 1-dimensional. Need to figure out a way to use more dimensions :P
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:03 am UTC

Ok, soooo many things need improvement in that. For starters; you can cut down on space by having the gear assembler next to 2 red vial assemblers instead of one gear assembler per red vial assembler.

That is, rather than

XXX XXX XXX XXX
XXX<XXX XXX>XXX
XXX XXX XXX XXX

Have

XXX XXX XXX
XXX<XXX>XXX
XXX XXX XXX

More advanced:
Your gear assembler produces far more gears than even two red vial assemblers can gobble up. Have a copper belt with copper on a single side, while the gear assembler deposits gears on the other side of it. 1 gear assembler will supply something like 9 red vial assemblers. Have these in a row, placing red vials on one side of a belt. On the opposite side, have your green vial assemblers. Your green/red belt feeds into 20 labs. However, you have the labs with room for 2 belts, because you will be producing blue vials and purple vials as soon as you can. Purple are easy; a box feeding 2 assemblers, stuff box with alien eggs. Blue require steel (easy), batteries (not so easy), green inserters (eh, easy enough, but a bit complicated), and red circuits (blegh).

Really, practice with the belts a bit, figure out how to get products only on one side, fiddle with splitters to get them to switch sides, etc.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:11 pm UTC

I managed to automate a thing. That only took five hours. Now to tear everything down to build a thing so I can automate more things. But now with laser turrets. PEW PEW ALIEN SCUM!

Why did I ever think getting this game was a good idea?

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:00 pm UTC

And I discovered logistics robots. All problems solved

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:23 pm UTC

Circuit systems are also very nice before you get the bots flying. Took me a while to work out how to work with them, but they allow you to set up the same type of production throttling logistics bots can offer (on a more limited physical scale).

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:44 pm UTC

I should probably figure out how those work.

Logistics Robots are great when you're wanting to stock to build slow-ish sort of things - solar panels, maybe alien science, blue processors, that sort of thing. Especially in weird to reach spots.

Logistic Robots slow things down if you're building fast simple things, like wires, gears, or green circuits. They are, however, still an excellent for those weird to reach spots.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:58 pm UTC

Circuit systems work a lot like the logistic system, except you need to hook up your smart inserters to a smart chest using red or green wire. The wire can also connect through power poles. Then you can give the smart inserter a condition based on the content of the chest whether it should insert or not; and you can automate production of things you only need a fixed supply of (either expensive things like miners, or fast producing things like pipes).

There's more complicated use cases as well with combiners, but basic chest-inserter systems take you pretty far.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:12 am UTC

I've been playing with the trains a bunch. Made a nifty ore smelting base. I have four trains fetching ore non-stop from three mining bases, and three trains fetching iron plate, copper plate, and steel from the smelting base to my main. It also runs on coal because solar panels are slow to build :P

Spoiler:

Having 7 splitters break (or join) one belt into 8 seems a pretty efficient way of getting stuff into or out of train cars. I'm doing it both for ore and plates, although the "octopus" is a bit squished for the ore retrieval due to space constraints.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:09 pm UTC

Started this game, seems pretty good. Unfortunately, I'm utter n00b at this. I didn't realize that inserters would insert coal into burners for example. But I'm sure I'll get better. My first freeplay game doesn't have any enemies attacking, so... I'm thinking I'll restart now that I know how to do things. I'll up the difficulty a bit, start automating coal to get inserted into burners, and so forth.

I also decided to play 0.12. But looking at the wiki, it seems like 0.13 has removed "smart inserters" and "smart chests". Instead, every chest and inserter (even a basic inserter) can be part of a circuit network. So I'll go update the game to 0.13 beta and design some decent logistics (before logistic robots show up).

I think the idea of the early game is to sprint towards steam engines ASAP and start using electricity. Electric miners are hella more efficient. Things will be different though when enemies start to attack. I'll need lamps... and ammo... and turrets. But I think I understand enough of the game to get started. I think I should also go through the four campaigns to learn things. (IE: 2nd campaign showed me that inserters could insert coal into burners. It works as a good tutorial).

-----------------

Allegedly, people on the Factorio Forums are using combinators / circuit logic for rather complicated if/then statements. Ex:

This logic accounts for:

Multiple stations with the same name (trains go to other stations when another is deactivated).
Stations should be deactivated when full.
Trains should not be trapped in stations.
Should reset when falls below specified limits.

See: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p101838

Also:

This will solve so many issues...

EDIT: Looks like this only works when the item streams are 100% compressed. Weird stuff happens when the splitters are "blocked".
Last edited by KnightExemplar on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:35 pm UTC

Yeah, I don't bother building coal-fired anything beyond the basic initial drill. Maybe a second drill, but that's basically it. Everything else, I get electricity and run from that.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:37 pm UTC

My current goal is to set up a biter zoo within my base.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:42 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Yeah, I don't bother building coal-fired anything beyond the basic initial drill. Maybe a second drill, but that's basically it. Everything else, I get electricity and run from that.

And furnaces, right? It looks like electric furnaces are very late-game tech.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:00 pm UTC

Well, I suppose I was meaning just the drills and inserters. Boilers and furnaces are kinda ... really really really necessary if you're not cheating.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:36 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Well, I suppose I was meaning just the drills and inserters. Boilers and furnaces are kinda ... really really really necessary if you're not cheating.

Apparently, coal inserters (although slower) feed themselves coal, and continue to operate even when electricity goes out. As long as there's coal for themselves to grab, they are the perfect coal-shoveling machine.

I was looking at some designs, and a lot of them use burner-inserters for the boilers and furnaces. Its technically burning more coal than necessary, but I don't think anyone really cares about a little waste here and there. The convenience of operating a "coal line" of power means no power-lines needed for that side of your factory. Just a line of coal.

Return to “Gaming”