Undertale

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
firesoul31
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

Undertale

Postby firesoul31 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:17 am UTC

Has anyone else played this? It's an indy role-playing game in which you don't have to kill anyone. It's fairly meta and surprisingly (for me) good at getting an emotional response.
Pronouns: she/her/hers or they/them please.

User avatar
applepi
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:30 am UTC

Re: Undertale

Postby applepi » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:40 am UTC

I haven't played it myself, but I've seen quite a few videos of other people playing it! It's definitely something I can dig - especially since some of my favorite artists seemed to have a hand in working on the game too.

Seems like all my favorite artists end up collaborating though. Or ending up on some super successful project. Or both. :D

User avatar
kiniget
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:34 am UTC
Location: the great northwest
Contact:

Re: Undertale

Postby kiniget » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:54 pm UTC

I've played through once, and am now working on a True Pacifist run

this game is absolutely beautiful in so many ways

and I cannot say enough about just how brilliant the True Last Boss fight. I have never played *anything* quite so frantic and unsettling in my life, and I've played a *lot* of Bullet Hell
was once kinigget

still the most gothic unicorn ever

Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from technology
-Agatha Heterodyne

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7223
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: NY

Re: Undertale

Postby Zohar » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:16 pm UTC

I was told to play this by multiple people. It's definitely on my wish list.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 8382
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Undertale

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:24 pm UTC

On wish list as well

User avatar
WilliamTheConqueror
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:16 pm UTC
Location: *tips meme*

Re: Undertale

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:44 am UTC

a friend bought it for me a while ago, and so i was able to play through it all in a day and. oh my god. i was not expecting the emotional rollercoaster experience i got from it, that's for sure. i did pacifist run my first time, only because i had been told to do that by friends who had played it before, and now i'm not so sure i can do a no mercy (or honestly neutral) run, just because i love the characters that much.

speaking of characters? anyone have any favorites? (i'm stuck between papyrus, sans, and mettaton, honestly. all three of them are just so great!!)
addams wrote:Fucking Nature.

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

User avatar
Shivahn
Posts: 2199
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Re: Undertale

Postby Shivahn » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:17 pm UTC

I kind of like Alphys.

But on the other hand she is kind of a clone of me, which was unnerving at times.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 8382
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Undertale

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:34 am UTC

I hope the mainstream developers copy undertale, the "make every opponent an individual" sort of thing. If I'm killing an Orc, I want to know there is an Orc mother somewhere that will cry because Gr'Hon'Blar was felled by my axe. I want to know that he was only attacking me because I had murdered his battle brother two weeks prior while invading his home for gold. I want to know that he left behind a pregnant lifemate. And then I want to load an old saved game and spare him instead.

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4002
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: Undertale

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:11 am UTC

Brilliant game! Very enjoyable story and characters. Some great twists and reveals. I usually hate turn based fighting and random encounters, but I put up with it for this game. Definitely a strong recommendation from me.

Muffet's theme is great.
Ⓞⓞ◯

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11262
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: Undertale

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:20 am UTC

Dangit, now I need to play this, don't I?

User avatar
Shivahn
Posts: 2199
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Re: Undertale

Postby Shivahn » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:28 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:Brilliant game! Very enjoyable story and characters. Some great twists and reveals. I usually hate turn based fighting and random encounters, but I put up with it for this game. Definitely a strong recommendation from me.

Muffet's theme is great.

There's a lot of great music that would require three hands to play well on the piano, which is the greatest of tragedies.

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4002
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: Undertale

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:35 am UTC

Shivahn wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:Brilliant game! Very enjoyable story and characters. Some great twists and reveals. I usually hate turn based fighting and random encounters, but I put up with it for this game. Definitely a strong recommendation from me.

Muffet's theme is great.

There's a lot of great music that would require three hands to play well on the piano, which is the greatest of tragedies.
This person has done a lot/all of the songs on piano if you are interested in listening :)
Ⓞⓞ◯

User avatar
Shivahn
Posts: 2199
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Re: Undertale

Postby Shivahn » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:06 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:
Shivahn wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:Brilliant game! Very enjoyable story and characters. Some great twists and reveals. I usually hate turn based fighting and random encounters, but I put up with it for this game. Definitely a strong recommendation from me.

Muffet's theme is great.

There's a lot of great music that would require three hands to play well on the piano, which is the greatest of tragedies.
This person has done a lot/all of the songs on piano if you are interested in listening :)

Oh wow this is really awesome. Thanks!

(I'm more interested in playing than listening, really, but the person put up sheets so :D:D:D:D)

User avatar
DaBigCheez
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Re: Undertale

Postby DaBigCheez » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:24 pm UTC

Highly recommend basically everyone to play this game, but especially anyone who's played classic JRPGs; it's still a wonderful and highly emotional experience if you haven't, but there's plenty of little references and in-jokes spicing up the mix.

Mostly, though, it is entirely too good at making me feel many feels, of many kinds. I think Toby's musical skills helped a lot, as the soundtrack seems to aid in setting the mood rather perfectly at a variety of different points; the characters are wonderful, the writing is lovely, and I had trouble dodging some of the attacks of the True Pacifist final boss because I couldn't see through the tears. Good tears.

It's hard to really say anything specific about the game without spoiling something about it, but it's very much worth playing, whoever you may be.

Now I just need to stop compulsively watching blind Let's Play videos so I can unfuck my sleep schedule. <_<
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7223
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: NY

Re: Undertale

Postby Zohar » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:59 pm UTC

So, I only played about one hour so far and I'm liking it, but I'm thinking of starting over because
Spoiler:
I killed Tauriel before the exit. I didn't know I could do anything else!


I suppose I should just keep going and maybe play it again in the future. What do you think, people who've completed the game already? How long is a single playthrough and how much replay value does it have?
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
Xanthir
My HERO!!!
Posts: 5157
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:49 am UTC
Location: The Googleplex
Contact:

Re: Undertale

Postby Xanthir » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:03 pm UTC

I also did that - I'm just resigned to the Standard game now, and will do the other two endings later.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

User avatar
DaBigCheez
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Re: Undertale

Postby DaBigCheez » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:08 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:So, I only played about one hour so far and I'm liking it, but I'm thinking of starting over because
Spoiler:
I killed Tauriel before the exit. I didn't know I could do anything else!


I suppose I should just keep going and maybe play it again in the future. What do you think, people who've completed the game already? How long is a single playthrough and how much replay value does it have?

Various levels of spoileriness ahead - the top level is "I feel comfortable stating this to everyone but it could technically give away some information", more deeply nested info is more potentially revealing, but I'm not giving away any critical info so far as I know. Delve as deeply as you dare. Zohar, the top level gives a specific response to your question, the second level gives a more detailed reply. (The game's extremely spoiler-fragile, so I'm trying to be very careful with what information I give.)

Not-very-spoilery:
Spoiler:
A playthrough will probably take on the order of ten hours.
It has decent replay value to take different choices, but a lot of that's for taking starkly different choices/paths.

A little bit spoilery/playthrough advice:
Spoiler:
It is possible to spare Toriel.
Personally, I would recommend restarting in a pacifist playthrough immediately if you plan to do one, rather than doing a full neutral playthrough and then restarting later. There's nothing wrong with completing a full neutral run first, though.

Edging into questionable territory:
Spoiler:
The reason for this is that it is necessary to "pass through" the neutral ending on the way to the pacifist ending, so going pacifist from the start will lessen the amount of replay required.
There is a fair amount of stuff that changes on a partial or complete replay that you wouldn't see on a first-time-through run, though...
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4002
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: Undertale

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:57 pm UTC

I don't feel bad about saying this unspoilered because it's essentially meta information about the game's structures rather than plot or what not, but I'll spoiler it anyway. No story or character spoilers in this post.
Spoiler:
It's impossible to get a Pacifist ending on your first play through. When you complete your first neutral ending some extra content is unlocked that allows you to finish a Pacifist ending. It is possible to do this content immediately after a Neutral ending by loading your save.
Now for some more relevant and potentially more spoilery bits about structure, how to get the Pacifist ending and how to save yourself some time.
Spoiler:
If your Neutral ending playthrough involved killing nobody and making friends with everyone you could you will be able to do the extra content and immediately get the Pacifist ending. Killing Toriel will prevent you from doing this and you will have to start over again to get the Pacifist ending.
Ⓞⓞ◯

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7223
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: NY

Re: Undertale

Postby Zohar » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:53 am UTC

I decided to start over, I just got past the point I mentioned earlier,
Spoiler:
I love the game remembers my previous choice, it's so cool.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4002
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: Undertale

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:10 pm UTC

Could you explain further? I've finished the game a few times now and I don't fancy starting all over again :P
Spoiler:
Did it remember you previously killed Toriel and change what she says at the start of the fight?
Ⓞⓞ◯

User avatar
DaBigCheez
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Re: Undertale

Postby DaBigCheez » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:10 pm UTC

TaintedDeity:

Spoiler:
Among other things:
Toriel will somehow feel like you would prefer (butterscotch/cinnamon), whichever you said before, and that it feels oddly like she's meeting an old friend.
At the start of the encounter, Toriel will mention that you look like you've seen a ghost.
If you try to "talk" during the encounter after having killed her in a previous playthrough, it'll say "You consider telling Toriel that you killed her once before, then decide that may not be the best choice of conversation topic" or something like that. I may be getting this one mixed up with what happens when she kills you.
Flowey's speech changes depending on the combination of what you did this run and what you've done in previous runs. If you spare her after killing her before, he says something along the lines of "You probably feel really great right now, don't you? But I know what you did. You killed her. You regretted it, so you went back."

Things like that. At least, I'm guessing that's what Zohar's referring to.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7223
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: NY

Re: Undertale

Postby Zohar » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:49 pm UTC

Pretty much what Cheez said.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5078
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Undertale

Postby Xeio » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:39 am UTC

Spoiler:
Oh gods, now it's making me feel guilty even thinking about resetting to do a Genocide playthrough...

WHY GAME, WHY MUST YOU DO THIS TO ME

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 8382
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Undertale

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:27 am UTC

Was on sale, kind of, got it for $8. Put 2 hours in, will finish it this weekend. I kept trying to spare my mommy, but no, it wouldn't let me. Apparently I was only 1-2 spares away from not having killed her. But I did, and I felt sad. So I reloaded and spared her. But the flower, the flower knew...

User avatar
DaBigCheez
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Re: Undertale

Postby DaBigCheez » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:32 am UTC

Get called out, son.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7223
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: NY

Re: Undertale

Postby Zohar » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:19 pm UTC

So I finished a full pacifist run
Spoiler:
Yes, including the reload, befriend Undyne sequence etc.

And it was so satisfying and great. And, of course, now I'm doing the opposite of that (reading a bit to make sure I don't miss anything) and it feels brutal and sad but I also want to complete it. However, some of the fights are much harder so I'm considering using a cheat engine.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 8382
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Undertale

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:12 am UTC

On genocide runs
Spoiler:
If you go full genocide, you PERMANENTLY destroy your soul. No matter what you do, you will never be able to undo the genocide. You'll never be able to go pacifist again.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7223
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: NY

Re: Undertale

Postby Zohar » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:52 pm UTC

Yeah I saw that. I don't mind though.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

rmsgrey
Posts: 2932
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: Undertale

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:46 pm UTC

Completed a True Pacifist run with 12 hours on Steam's clock (probably including an hour left idling while I did something else during one session) - which represents a neutral run then a full restart (I did the right thing in a particular fight, but didn't realise it was so went on and did the wrong thing instead - there are just one or two times where the game doesn't quite tell you what you need to do as clearly as one might hope).

I did a lot of boasting against Mettaton - it didn't always pay off, but I'm a lot happier betting on success...

User avatar
raudorn
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:59 am UTC

Re: Undertale

Postby raudorn » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:13 pm UTC

I picked up Undertale last week and while I was sceptical for the first hour, the game grew on me very quickly. Basically after the Ruins I was hooked. I first did a neutral run due to a, well, let's say accidental trap that apparantely a lot of players fall into when battling the boss at the end of the Ruins. Currently I'm on a pacifist run with moderate success. Having only 20 health really is a problem on some fights or when low on food.
I thought about doing a no mercy run after that. Then I saw a video of the fight with Sans. Hahahahahahahaha, killed that idea right quick.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7223
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: NY

Re: Undertale

Postby Zohar » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:41 pm UTC

I used a cheat engine to get through that. There are only two difficult fights on a no-mercy run (the one you mentioned being by far the harder).
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4002
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: Undertale

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:15 am UTC

I utilised a slowmo cheat to finish the pacifist run. Got my ass kicked again and again without it in the first proper fight.
Ⓞⓞ◯

User avatar
cyanyoshi
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:30 am UTC

Re: Undertale

Postby cyanyoshi » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:06 am UTC

I finally sat down and played through Undertale, even having pretty much the whole darn thing spoiled for me just by being on the Internet at all for the last several months. It's a really good game, and I'm glad to have played it, but it didn't have the impact that can only be had with low expectations going in. (That honor would go to OFF, which Undertale reminds me a lot of.) However I really was quite impressed how ambitious the game is after seeing The Completionist's review of it.

User avatar
cyanyoshi
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:30 am UTC

Re: Undertale

Postby cyanyoshi » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:34 am UTC

Now I've played it through again going full-on pacifist, and all I can say is wow. I totally wasn't prepared for that laboratory section at all. It was perfect. I've also played a pacifist run in "Hard Mode", which certainly was something. Maybe I'll watch a let's play of a genocide run. My heart can't take much more of this...

User avatar
Sizik
Posts: 1123
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:48 am UTC

Re: Undertale

Postby Sizik » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:42 pm UTC

Finally got around to playing this, so I could watch (most of) the Pacifist speedrun at AGDQ this year (Twitch VOD, run starts at 38:43:25). I was able to watch the run until it caught up to where I was at about a hour in (Neutral ending, befriending Undyne). Just beat the Pacifist ending last night, makes me feel bad about going for genocide next.
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7223
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: NY

Re: Undertale

Postby Zohar » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:58 pm UTC

Ugh, don't do it. For one, it has the two most difficult battles. But also, I really do feel guilty about doing it, and it has permanent repercussions.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
cyanyoshi
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:30 am UTC

Re: Undertale

Postby cyanyoshi » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:40 am UTC

The genocide run is just a lot boring grinding for the most part. Everyone talks about how bad the last boss is, but I found another boss to be much MUCH harder. Good riddance.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7223
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: NY

Re: Undertale

Postby Zohar » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:15 pm UTC

I couldn't finish genocide without infinite health cheats, and while I was at it I used cheats for higher/lower encounter rates as needed. But it was just really depressing...
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 5247
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: Undertale

Postby Thesh » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:05 pm UTC

I restarted the game after the pacifist run, didn't even start to play, and I still feel kinda bad.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests