World of Warships

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Biliboy

World of Warships

Postby Biliboy » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:52 am UTC

Found this game on Twitch a couple weeks ago, and when we finally got our fiber internet hooked up I decided to give it a try.

I'm loving it so far, the slowish pace and gauging shell trajectories (a la Worms Armageddon) is pretty satisfying. I'm grinding up the japanese battleship line on the way to unlocking carriers, to give them a shot.

My notable accomplishments so far is learning to ram in the Kawachii, sinking my first aircraft carrier on a destroyer, and getting two citadel hits (critical strikes, but not random, you aim for them) on the Phantom Fortress ship in the halloween event, for more than half its health.

If anyone wants to join me in-game, I'm BiliboyJenkins on the NA server.

Spoiler:
PHNTMFORT1.jpg

*edit* By the way, fiber-to-the-home-internet is the bestest thing in the entire world... and I live in a rural area too. *edit*

Koa

Re: World of Warships

Postby Koa » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:32 pm UTC

Nice rams. I tried it just a couple weeks ago as well, it looked interesting.

You're forced to play against AI at first. You have to earn the right to play against other players. I proceed to lose a few AI matches because of players being AFK or because they rushed in and got themselves killed.

I unlock the ability to play competitively and I do that. It's pretty much the same thing. Slow, frustrating defeats of the same nature. The few victories I had felt like lions hunting gazelle. I had one match that didn't landslide in one way or another, but it wasn't much of a different experience from the others. I don't think matches become strategically interesting until maybe much later on, when people can be expected to have a clue of what they're doing and with many different ships available.

I was on the end of my rope of interest but figured I would stick it out to get a battleship for a taste of some variety. I continued playing several more matches, saving my resources. I finally had enough to unlock a battleship, and then I found that ships are unlocked sequentially, which meant that I was barely a third of the way there. The grind is real. It was going to take me another 8 hours to unlock a different ship type, on top of the 4 or so I had already played.

Then I found that the game was taking up 20gigs of disk space.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:48 am UTC

I think it helped a bunch that I started right when the german and russian cruisers and destroyers were released, a lot of experienced players are starting the new ship lines. It means I die faster sometimes, but I also learn a lot faster.

The first few battles in the battleship (kawachi, tier 3 japanese) I hated it, can't hit anything and the range is much shorter than the US bbs. I learned to play around its weaknesses and actually was enjoying it by the time I was able to upgrade to the Myogi.

I've unlocked the first Japanese carrier and quickly discovered that hey, they aren't overpowered sky cancer like everyone seems to think. If BB drivers wouldn't insist on being all alone all the time I'd get very few hits on them. Stay near cruisers, and ask your carriers to keep their fighter group near the battleship line.

Balance in this game seems to go something like this. Destroyer kills anything, dies to cruisers. Cruisers kill anything, die to battleships. Battleships kill anything, die to torpedoes and other battleships. Carriers kill battleships and sometimes cruisers/carriers, die to anything that gets in range.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:19 pm UTC

I played during closed Beta and beyond.

The funnest ships are the American Cruisers and Japanese Destroyers.

Some very basic tips if your struggling:
1) Stay in zerg formation --- just follow your fleet and don't be the closest ship. Allows you the chance to get in lots of hits.
2) Avoid narrow regions of the maps --- this is where you are most likely to get in trouble. (once you get good at the game, its less of an issue --- but would still be deadly if you are in a battleship)
3) If torpedo bombers are headed for you -- turn into them.

American cruisers are fun because you get a high rate of fire and lots of guns.
The tier 3 ship is one of the funnest in the entire game --- you get an insane amount of guns. (St. Louis)

Japanese DD's are fun because ships can't detect if you stay 5-6 km away from them, but your torpedo's can travel 7-10km.
So basically you just get to about 6km away from the enemy ships (slow ones preferably) then fire a salvo of Torpedo's into their path --- you can set it up so it shows you exactly how to lead them. (grey fire path)

The best way to use torps is to fire one salvo into the 'grey hit box' but once the torps get close to the target they will get a warning and try to dodge it --- so fire your second salvo RIGHT after the first but closer to the target --- meaning don't lead them as much. So when they try to dodge, they run right into the 2nd salvo.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:04 am UTC

New update, some balancing, and with two changes they made my tier 5 IJN carrier fun to play again. Japanese torpedo bombers now fire in a narrowing cone when manually launched, meaning you can 'snipe' 4 torp hits on stationary or predictable targets if you are willing to risk a longer shot. I got a BB who was border surfing square amidships with 4 torps from maximum launch distance, instantly sinking him. Close range launches are pretty much the same as they were, maybe 2, 3 hits if you are very lucky.

The other change was to the fighter 'barrage' or 'strafe' ability. Placed much like a manual launched torp volley, the fighters speed up, and burn through lots of ammo at once for 10x damage to everything in their path. I vaporized two opposing IJN torpedo bomber groups this way, and still had ammo to jump onto his dive bombers... that run was a complete waste for him, saving my team lots of damage. I've also used the ability to close with US fighters, formerly the bane of my existence as an IJN cv driver. It'll usually get at least 2 kills, maybe 3 or 4 before coming out of the dive and doing the standard rng dogfight lockdown.

My games went from 2-5 plane kills and 20-30k damage, to 15+ plane kills and 40-50k ship damage, now that my attack craft are free to choose better targets. I've also gotten better at using the dive bombers manual attack run, for a tighter bomb grouping (at the expense of accuracy if they dodge after the run locks in), and better chance of setting fires. The best attack runs have my two TB groups hit a battleship for 2-4 torp hits, causing flooding, and when he uses his repair ability to stop the flooding, I set him on fire with the dive bombers.

Clevelands are still a complete nope, fly far around and find another target. If you really want to screw over the enemy cv, get a cleveland (or other cruiser with the AA ability/float plane fighter), and stay near the battleships. Hopefully your BBs will move up enough that you can fire your main guns too, instead of sitting back and trying to snipe with horrible accuracy.

I'm still often flabbergasted at battleships that completely ignore my torpedo bombers on approach. Seriously, barring another BB who has your broadside at less than 7 klicks, the most dangerous thing to a BB is torpedoes... Watch the approach, start turning towards the bombers, and as soon as they go into their diving approach slam into reverse and steer hard into them... most times almost all the torps will overshoot, or you'll get inside the arming distance and the duds will bounce off.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:03 pm UTC

I stopped playing for a long time after I got my 2 tier 7 ships.
But came back and been playing casually.
Have a tier 8 American destroyer (New Orleans) -- fun ship if you can get the BB's to attract the attention away from you.
Still love my Japanese destroyers --- sneaking up on people and unleashing torpedo hell is quite satisfying.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Return to “Gaming”