Life is Feudal: Your Own

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Biliboy

Life is Feudal: Your Own

Postby Biliboy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:58 pm UTC

Started this the other day (still on steam for 40% off right now) and am fairly impressed. It's an open-world survival/crafting type game, similar to Rust, but with much more community building features and less naked dudes bashing people with rocks. The crafting/skill system is pretty complex, and as a result of having skill caps no one player can learn all the skills at max level, so group play is highly encouraged. Think Minecraft + Rust + Salem.

It's a bit grindy in places, but the worst can be resolved with proper character creation. For example, my first character had prospecting, which leads eventually to mining/smelting/blacksmithing, but very low terraforming, which is needed to get to tunneling, in order to reach the ore in the first place. Rather than start over or spend days moving dirt, I made an alt with terraforming high enough for tunnels to start with, or I could/should find a group with a terraformer to diggy diggy hole for me.

Each grindy skill eventually leads to more prestigious abilities (terraformer to eventual architect, prospecting to blacksmith, herb gathering to doctor/surgeon, farmer to food buff creating chef, etc) so there should always be people on hand to do needful things. For example, a new character wanting to build castles should team up with a farmer who wants a field leveled, a guild leader who needs stone for a claim marker for territory, and then a prospector who wants to reach ore.

Combat I've had less experience with, just teaming up with a random stranger to ping-pong a couple stags back and forth between us at a lakeside in order to get some meat, but is similar to Mount and Blade (including mounted combat, but I'm not nearly far enough in to tame a horse) It seems slow paced enough that you won't be insta-gibbed by a griefer or two, and can always use a special ability to drop weapons for a speed boost, or in worst case, use the surrender ability, allow them to loot you, and know that if they kill you they get a huge alignment penalty, which seriously increases the skills lost when they die.

There's apparently formation warfare, for pike walls, volley fire from a group of archers, or warhorse charges. Also siege warfare with engineers running trebuchets or digging tunnels. I've read that on most of the RP servers combat isn't even allowed unless two parties agree to it, and guilds can schedule a war in a quite gentlemanly way if they wish. If it works well like that it'll be a fresh change from Rust style 'raiding' when people are offline.

I'll be playing on 108.61.41.154:27413 most evenings EST if anyone wants to find Biliboy Jenkins near the volcano and /wave, chat, maybe build an impregnable fortress or two. (I'm looking at you, those who I played Therian Saga with ^.^)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Life is Feudal: Your Own

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:39 pm UTC

I was curious about this!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:05 am UTC

Some more info since I've been playing for a while.

The combat is a bit like Mount and Blade (I haven't tried actual pvp yet beyond sparring with guild members, most 'real' combat so far is from fighting boars, wolves and bears as a hunting party). Horses are slightly different from M&B, but close enough so that if you've played one you can do ok in the other. I wish it were a bit smoother, but it's not a AAA title, so they do what they can with the engine.

The server I play on hasn't modified any of the skill point system or crafting times, because we're learning how to play best as a group in the coming MMO next year sometime. I'll probably take a break somewhere between now and then, after our city gets completed, but will almost definitely be coming back for the mmo launch.

I'm loving the PVE aspect though, even though it's time consuming, terraforming out a city and seeing the walls go up and buildings and shops go in is satisfying, as is helping a farmer guildie tame horses and wild aurochs, tanking a bear with my self-made tower shield while archers make a pin-cushion out of it, and doing a late night 'raid' on an unclaimed gold mine with 8 other people, and hauling the spoils back.

Group pvp/wars/sieges look to be interesting, in the MMO there are plans to allow a group to declare war, but the other side gets to pick what time (within a certain time period) that their city becomes vulnerable. In the current version, what's known as 'Judgement Hour' on some servers allows for the same thing. Otherwise your claimed area and structures within are safe from griefing. You are still vulnerable, so get those walls up and keep the gates closed :p

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:53 pm UTC

That does sound rad
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:36 pm UTC

I really want to give this game a go, but the demo video makes it look a bit like minecraft with better graphics and a bigger emphasis on crafting. The combat looks kind of shoddy.

I tried Salem - interesting skill mechanic, but not nearly enough going on to keep me interested, and horribly clunky interface and engine. Hilariously though, I think they may have stolen one of the music pieces from Kerbal Space Program.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:24 pm UTC

I was interested until I saw how focused on multiplayer it is.

.... Yeah. Not a fan of that.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:34 am UTC

It is basically 'only' a multiplayer game. I mean you could make your own server with custom skill caps so you can get all the things, and speed up crafting so you can do all the things, but at the end of a few weeks you'd have a cool city and nothing to do in it. It's more of a village simulator actually :p

Like I said I haven't run into much real pvp, not been ganked, only one guy some guildmates killed because he was trying to build a monument to claim one of our mines while we were there. This is a huge change from Rust (and I imagine ARK), where you get attacked about 30 seconds after you spawn. The combat is a bit clunky, similar to mount and blade. I do wish that part were smoother.

Most of what I'm liking about it is the social aspect. I hop onto teamspeak with about 8 other guys every night that I'm on, and play a jack-all-trade helping whoever needs the most help that night. Last night it was pushing a new mine into the mountain to get stone to finish the walls, and uncover more iron veins. The night before that was terraforming the land for a new farm plot and walls. Before that was a hunting party for skins and cow/horse taming.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:54 pm UTC

So what's the diversity of crafting like? Is the emphasis on building your village like a sandbox, or is there stuff to do (siege machinery to build, luxury items, art/science, etc)?

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:44 am UTC

There's buildings as well as walls, gates, towers, crafting benches, warehouses etc for the town, and weapons/armor/furniture/furnaces/kilns/clothing etc for 'personal' crafting. There's also animal breeding, warhorse training, jewelry, paintings, taxidermy (of the put a bear head on the wall that you hunted yourself variety). I haven't played around with siege stuff yet but you can build and use trebuchets and other fun stuff.

Usable crafted items, like weapons and armor, have durability related to their quality, the higher your skill, the better quality things you can make. You need quality materials as well. Farmers breed animals to higher quality, so that they live longer and produce better meat/leather/wool/horsies.

For example, the other day my guild traded a breeding pair of horses to a guy for some good quality gold lumps, for use in jewelcrafting. The guy had mined a lot of lower quality gold, crafted stuff out of it, recycled it, and repeated till he got the quality up. Now our jewelsmith, who'd trained up on junk silver, can make us some really nice stuff. (most jewelry just adds to Luck, which improves crafting/other skills randomly)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:13 pm UTC

How many people are on your server? Do people typically play by making a server for their friends like Minecraft, or are servers typically hundreds of people large for conflict and trading and such?

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:43 am UTC

Servers right now are max 64, with 20-30 being normal for the one I'm on. You can do private servers if you want. The one I'm on is sort of a 'training' server for the eventual MMO, where there will be one massive world, a la Eve Online for everyone to play in. It'll be very much a kingdom simulator then.

I had other things to do for a few days, logged back in to find our city progressing nicely, new walls around the new farm area, and paintings and stuffed animal heads decorating the buildings. Terraforming is continuing, with only about 1/4 of the city left to raise the ground level for and flatten. A trebuchet has been built for practice shots, and our herbalists are crafting grenades and poisons. We're about to the point where we want to give the other smaller settlements a hand to build faster, so that we can get to playing around with siege stuff :P It's all in fun too, griefing for griefing sake is extremely rare on the server I'm on, as we want people to join us in the MMO next year. As one of our members put it, we want to work together against the Russian and Chinese hordes (no racism, just experience on other games, like Ark, with the hardcore pvp players that some other cultures tend to bring with them)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:28 pm UTC

I want to try this game so bad but everything I see about it makes me think it's pretty underdeveloped right now.

Return to “Gaming”