Thea: The Awakening: The Card Game: The 4X Roguelike

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

CorruptUser

Thea: The Awakening: The Card Game: The 4X Roguelike

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:23 am UTC

So, basically, you are a Slavic God. The age of darkness is almost over, but not quite. You have a little village, and you need to get your people to survive in the world. You need to act fast, because the world just gets worse until there be dragons here. So, explore, do quests, gather, craft, survive. Actually quite complex for what it is.

DaBigCheez

Re: Thea: The Awakening: The Card Game: The 4X Roguelike

Postby DaBigCheez » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:35 am UTC

Have been poking at it a little bit. An interesting concept, and I very much like that they have a strong incentive to form parties of varied skills while still having a focus, and not just having all your crafters in town and all your murderhobos out raiding. Civ-style hex map and resource grid, but you only get the one town, and have to establish temporary camps with your exploring parties to harvest outlying resources to be able to actually build much of anything.

Some of the text feels a little bit "amateur" (typos, overly informal wording, awkward phrasing, lack of proofreading in general), and it has the general roguelike annoyances with RNG ("hmm, should I do this thing? Oh welp it meant one of my guys got eaten GG"), but it feels like there's a lot of room for playing around with optimizing research orders and class distributions and suchlike, and that'll continually vary between games and through the course of a given game due to resource distributions. The card game generally feels pretty fair, though I'm still not 100% clear on what determines whether a card attacks the one before or after it in initiative order; it otherwise seems deterministic aside from card-placement turn order, so when one of my units gets shanked, I feel like "crap, I should have accounted for that, I screwed up" instead of "the game screwed me over".

It sort of reminds me of some board game I heard of recently, which had a similar "tribe of poorly-equipped humans trying to outlive the darkness and forced to go hunting vicious beasts to be able to get the materials to survive and do anything", but I don't remember what that game was called.

EDIT: Kingdom Death: Monster is the game I'm thinking of. Deva's search-fu is on point as usual :)
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Return to “Gaming”