Fantasy Life - 3DS

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Fantasy Life - 3DS

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:08 pm UTC

Seems like a lowscale MMO style game for the 3DS. I'm thinking of picking it up, anyone play?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Re: Fantasy Life - 3DS

Postby Deva » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:33 pm UTC

Played it. Agrees. Describes it as a single player Massively Multiplayer Online game. Offers twelve different classes. May switch at the main city. Breaks down into three types: Fighting, Gathering, and Crafting.

Strengths:
- Allows decent amounts of freedom. Requires completing story sections to unlock new locations. Balanced story missions leniently. Might be possible for pure gathering/crafting characters to succeed. (Never tried, though.) Purchases lots of materials at vendors too. Presumes it unnecessary (or nearly) to choose a gathering class based on crafting class. (Helps, of course. Harvests some unique materials. Could skip those tasks, though. Only needs every task completed for top rank.)
- Gave actual mechanics to crafting and gathering. (Crafting: Boosts quality/amount by doing the mini-game well. Gathering: Aim for weak spots. Yields more material with power attacks.)
- …Charm? Prepare for lots of dialogue and puns.

Weaknesses:
- Barely differentiated crafting class mechanics. Expect some combination of mashing A, holding A, or timing A. Argues similarly for Miner and Woodcutter too.
- Learns to bulk craft eventually. Feels horribly inefficient, though. Why? Imagine smelting ingots. Normal: Smelt one. Rewarded 1-3 extra, usually. Smelt one. Repeat. Bulk: Smelt ten. Rewarded…1-3 extra.
- Long, dreary fights at top-end combat. Kited some bosses for roughly ten minutes. Falls somewhat with gear (with materials from said bosses).

Recommends it weakly. Breaks no new ground. Still had fun.

(Disclaimer: Played a while ago. May be slightly inaccurate.)
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:00 pm UTC

What was the multiplayer support or interaction like?

I hear the new final fantasy game is a bit in this line of crafting and resource management... Any ideas or words on it?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:16 pm UTC

Not much. Played alone. Does not keep up with Final Fantasy. Speaks without experience, consequently.

Multiplayer: Permits up to three players total. Demands Friend Codes for online play. Multiplies drops by number of players (from monsters and materials). (Note: Receives one bounty from larger monsters still. Awards extra items to whoever turns it in.) No companions. Cannot progress the story. Cannot change class. Requires everyone or no one to own the downloadable content.

Crafting: Will give a brief overview of Fantasy Life's.
Trade Skill = Major Stat + ([Minor Stat1 + Minor Stat2] / 2) + Equipment. Bases item quality on trade skill and minigame time, plus some randomness.

Awards experience for crafting. Recalls less from crafting than combat. Spent more time as a Wizard than Tailor, though.

Uses static recipes. (As in, Copper Sword, Iron Sword, and so on instead of just Sword.) Learns them from ranking up, class quests, and certain people. Adds special characteristics in later crafting.

Allows crafting/harvesting/fighting while not that respective class. Fares worse, though, due to lower relevant stats and no special skills. Might not earn progress towards certain class tasks either. (Remembers "Mine X Ore as a Miner" tasks. Tended to be nicer with combat classes.)
Changes its form depending on the observer.

It Should Be Real
Ninja Sauce Container

Postby It Should Be Real » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:29 am UTC

I really like Fantasy Life - the art style is very vibrant and sweet, the characters are entertaining and the gameplay is interesting enough that I have about 80 hours playtime. I also like that it's very easy to pick up for 15 minutes, complete a small quest and put back down again as I generally only have short periods of being uninterrupted during my breaks at work and it's easy to lose where I am in the story with other games. I'd recommend it if you like side quests, wandering around pretty scenery and lots of scavenger hunt style missions.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:38 pm UTC

Hmm, Deva makes it sound like I should wait for a sequel or different game that does things a bit more impressively. Deva knows this kind of game quite well - if they're not swooning over it, there's probably a reason.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:59 pm UTC

I was wrong, this game is awesome. If anyone is playing, lets friend code it up.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:51 pm UTC

I enjoyed the game when I played it a couple of years ago, and got through all of the story plus the DLC. My fiancée maxed out most of the professions, I believe, and we had quite a bit of fun just running around together killing stuff. But I don't see myself getting back into it any time soon, I'm afraid.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

matt96

Postby matt96 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:02 am UTC

I have it and still am not maxed if you want to coop

Return to “Gaming”