Gaming fleeting thoughts

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby Thesh » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:33 pm UTC

HES wrote:Does Civ 6 have modding support?

Don't think the tools have been released yet, but I read they are in the works to be released.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

New User

Postby New User » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:57 pm UTC

I guess this belongs here. It doesn't seem like it's worth starting a new thread for.

I have a new Nvidia graphics card, and it came with an app called GeForce Experience. They want me to update my drivers through that app, and I was okay with that, even though the app had other features I wasn't interested in using. A couple weeks ago, they updated the GeForce Experience app. Now, they want me to give them my e-mail address and create a password account, or sign in with google or facebook or something. I'm not interested in doing that. So I want to ask a question, what's a good way to make sure I have the latest driver without using this app? It's probably very simple, but I haven't messed with drivers and such in so many years that I'm kind of an old-timer when it comes to these things.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:36 pm UTC

Yubtzock

Postby Yubtzock » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:52 pm UTC

New User wrote:I guess this belongs here. It doesn't seem like it's worth starting a new thread for.

I have a new Nvidia graphics card, and it came with an app called GeForce Experience. They want me to update my drivers through that app, and I was okay with that, even though the app had other features I wasn't interested in using. A couple weeks ago, they updated the GeForce Experience app. Now, they want me to give them my e-mail address and create a password account, or sign in with google or facebook or something. I'm not interested in doing that. So I want to ask a question, what's a good way to make sure I have the latest driver without using this app? It's probably very simple, but I haven't messed with drivers and such in so many years that I'm kind of an old-timer when it comes to these things.

I'm personally annoyed as well because of this update's requirements.
I've found a way to delay the update (for now the old version still works).
Spoiler:
Basically you open the app again with the update window open and this time it launches normally. After that I can hit cancel and use the game optimization and driver update features.

Other than that - like the above post mentions - Nvidia's site has an ok driver download menu.

As soon as the old version stops working, I'm uninstalling GE as long as this new version keeps on insisting on socialmediatisation.
Tools should be tools, not account-driven, ad-distributing monstrosities.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:28 pm UTC

The game optimisation was okay as a secondary feature, but now the bloat makes it pretty much unusable for anything.
He/Him/His Image

New User

Postby New User » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:55 pm UTC

Thanks for the replies. I went to nvidia's site, downloaded the driver it told me to, which was a .exe file, then I ran the .exe, and it said it wasn't compatible with my version of windows. That's all it said, and the only option was to close the window. So I'll try again later.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:10 pm UTC

Make sure you get the correct one for your operating system, e.g. there are different drivers for XP and Windows Vista/7/8/10, and different drivers for 64-bit vs 32-bit. Go to "System" under "System and Security" in Windows Control Panel and it will tell you which version you are on.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:44 pm UTC

I don't know if My Summer Car is the worst idea ever or the best.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:25 am UTC

Just played through Among the Sleep. Quite brilliant game. Mechanics are interesting because your character is a toddler--movement while walking is deliberately awkward and slow, but you can carry objects... or you can go faster by crawling. Very dark, creepy. You're completely vulnerable to the few enemies the game has--they're faster than you, and you have no weapons or any way to defend yourself. Just got to find a nook to hide and and hug your teddy.

Good bargain for under $5 on Steam right now if you're looking for something spooky for Hallowe'en.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:39 pm UTC

I played Betrayer because it's on sale for 99 cents and Steam recommended it to me. Not a great game, since it was entirely fetch quests, but I did like the atmosphere and the combat. It seems hard to make early powder weapons interesting because it takes so long to reload after every shot... Fortunately the player character could sprint while reloading a full size musket in about eight seconds, which is pretty impressive.

I definitely liked the wind. Periodic gusts of wind mask your sound so you can sneak up on enemies, and the tops of trees actually bend pretty realistically.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:48 am UTC

All in all, I think the best feature of CIV 6 is this one:

20161030164036_1.jpg

If you don't see what I'm looking at, in the upper-right hand corner of the screen, there is a clock that tells you the current time of day. It's really nice for people who work, and don't want to be playing Civ 6 into the wee hours of dawn by accident. Timed games should be a thing too (not turns, but time). When the clock runs out, if no one has achieved a victory, it goes by score.

I just kind of wish it also showed the date.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:42 am UTC

I don't think timed games work with turn based games. Whoever is in the lead can just stop making turns.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:08 am UTC

Use a chess-clock system, each player is allotted a certain amount of time and loses when they run out.

Or just timed turns, if a player takes more than the limit to submit their move, their turn is skipped and they can make no action until their next turn.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:06 pm UTC

I'm good at Civ 5 and I enjoyed it. But I did feel like you were compelled to go for conquest victories since they were easier due to problems with the AI.

Should I buy Civ 6?
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:12 pm UTC

I'm still having v easy time with conquests, on King difficulty. Combat AI is apparently still too hard.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:19 pm UTC

While the combat AI is a problem, I think the biggest problem is that if you dedicate your focus on technology and military, you can still win even if you mostly ignore the other stuff. You can't win if you focus on the other stuff, but then pretty much ignore technology and military. So there is a bit of a balance problem with the types of win, and aggressive opponents will pretty much force you to really build up your military and keep your technology close enough that they won't be able to overrun you with more advanced units.

New User

Postby New User » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:37 pm UTC

As I've been exposed to more Japanese culture, imagery, and folklore, some things in the old Nintendo (and Capcom, and Konami, and any other Japanese developer) games are recognizable to me now which may not have been so recognizable when I was young. I have seen things like kimonos, Shinto shrines, yokai, hitodama, and magatama in older games. These are things that I would have just chalked up to video game weirdness when I was young, but now it makes sense when I see them in games from Japan. It's pretty funny to play a game I haven't played in 25 years and finally recognize something that Japanese players have always taken for granted.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:49 am UTC

Thesh wrote:While the combat AI is a problem, I think the biggest problem is that if you dedicate your focus on technology and military, you can still win even if you mostly ignore the other stuff. You can't win if you focus on the other stuff, but then pretty much ignore technology and military. So there is a bit of a balance problem with the types of win, and aggressive opponents will pretty much force you to really build up your military and keep your technology close enough that they won't be able to overrun you with more advanced units.

I am Very Bad At Civ™, but I have found this to be the case in every game of any Civ that I have played. Even on the easier difficulties I struggle to keep pace with other nations' military development.
Civ is one of those games that I really want to enjoy, but I spend too much time losing and confused about why I'm losing to be able to do so, and I am finding it difficult to figure out what I'm doing wrong because I'm losing so early.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:48 am UTC

I think religion might be a good alternative in this one. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it has a more involved mini game and that the military and religious aspects can reinforce each other, so you can still hold your own, and then take an enemy city or two in retaliation for a declared war and you can easily keep them converted to your religion.

I find it's best to micromanage cities to get the balance you want - at the beginning, focus on increasing growth and production as well as getting some scouts and warriors to explore, defend, and crush barbarian camps. Once a city is up and running, decide on developing them towards either full-on industry, or push them either towards culture, religion, gold, or science - micromanage them to get a good balance of growth, production, and whatever output you want (it's good to know ahead of time so you know what to use tiles for). Of course, make sure you are familiar with each aspect of the game before getting too into the logistical details.

Make sure you check the progress bars to see where your opponents are for science, culture, and religion (it's good to try and keep it so there is no majority religion in your civilization, so if you aren't trying for religion then let anyone convert your cities as much as they want unless they are a dominant religion). Build cities in defensible areas such as near mountains (impassible - also great for science) and on hills (defense bonus), check the surrounding tiles for base output to make sure there are a lot of good resources (look at the food, production, water output etc.). Build on tiles next to water sources whenever possible.

That's just some basic stuff for keeping up with opponents.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:42 pm UTC

Carlington wrote:
Thesh wrote:While the combat AI is a problem, I think the biggest problem is that if you dedicate your focus on technology and military, you can still win even if you mostly ignore the other stuff. You can't win if you focus on the other stuff, but then pretty much ignore technology and military. So there is a bit of a balance problem with the types of win, and aggressive opponents will pretty much force you to really build up your military and keep your technology close enough that they won't be able to overrun you with more advanced units.

I am Very Bad At Civ™, but I have found this to be the case in every game of any Civ that I have played. Even on the easier difficulties I struggle to keep pace with other nations' military development.

Civ is one of those games that I really want to enjoy, but I spend too much time losing and confused about why I'm losing to be able to do so, and I am finding it difficult to figure out what I'm doing wrong because I'm losing so early.

Haven't played Civ 6, so I can't comment too much on that, but in most of the other games, the key to winning the early game is usually controlled growth + commerce. Use workers to quickly develop your food supplies, exploit wealth-generating resources, and funnel everything into getting your science going. The AI usually won't attack you if you're larger in size or technologically ahead, even if you're a bit behind in the actual size of your army, especially during the expansion phase. Unless it's Montezuma on your doorstep, in which case, you should probably just go ahead and invade him first :)

Good diplomacy can also keep them off your back. Don't be afraid to give gifts or acquiesce to most of their annoying requests. Convince them to go to war with other people, if you can, to stir up trouble and make your rivals longterm enemies of each other (who all love you).

In a lot of the Civ games, the most aggressive players are only really dangerous in the early game. They often spend so much time warmongering ineffectively that they end up way behind in technology and are essentially non-factors by the midgame. The dangerous AIs are the ones that have a good science game, and will use selective aggression to roll over weak players once they have a clear technology advantage.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:11 pm UTC

I had *just* got fallout 4 working again and they released a minor update which means, once again, it is unplayable until F4SE gets an update. I even disabled automatic updates but steam decided it knew better. :(
He/Him/His Image

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:46 pm UTC

I need an SSD. Dishonored 2's main screen takes forever to load on my computer.

Koa

Postby Koa » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:07 am UTC

Thesh wrote:I need an SSD. Dishonored 2's main screen takes forever to load on my computer.

Just the main screen? It seems to have poor performance on anything below high end machines. Which is funny considering Bethesda's recent announcement about no longer giving out review copies (while trying to spin it like it's a good thing).

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:37 am UTC

Just the main screen; loading my first saved game from there is fine, presumably because most of what it needs was already loaded into memory during the main load screen.

I personally haven't had any major performance issues; I have a GTX 970 4GB, 16 GB of DD3 1600, and a quad core I7 3770. So it's not absolutely top of the line, but it's pretty decent, and the graphics are set on high (default) with the resolution at 1920x1200 (native resolution) and vsync on. Staying mostly at 60 fps, with occasional drops, but nothing unusual.

EDIT: Now the main loading screen isn't taking any time. I guess it was maybe extracting assets the first time (I went and did something else the second time I played, and just assumed it was the same)? So, yeah, no complaints at all any more (except unskippable splash screens).

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:51 pm UTC

Well, that makes a change from earlier Bethesda. Loading Daggerfall save files used to take about 10 seconds per quest you'd completed.
I don't know and have no opinion.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:53 am UTC

Sableagle wrote:Well, that makes a change from earlier Bethesda. Loading Daggerfall save files used to take about 10 seconds per quest you'd completed.

A lot of shit just started making a lot of sense
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:37 pm UTC

Isn't the combat AI really quite terrible at this point? I've read a lot of reviews basically saying that it often forgets to defend cities or just has its units wander aimlessly instead of attacking, building chariots instead of tanks, etc. One of the YouTube Let's Players that I follow was complaining in one of his videos that you can basically just go total war from the start of the game and wipe all of the AIs quite easily even on deity level.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:45 pm UTC

In Civ VI right now it is pretty bad. I haven't seen them building chariot's instead of tanks, but they might not have enough gold to upgrade their units. Enemies tend to declare war with too few units and resources to both attack you and defend their cities, so yeah I've gone after cities undefended, but only because they were idiots and didn't have the gold and production to meet my production capacity, and then threw away all of their units.

That said, I haven't played deity level, since I'm still learning how to keep housing and amenities up, without sacrificing food/science/culture/religion - it is kind of annoying at times trying to respond to all this, especially when you capture a couple big cities that have no amenities and then your entire civilization revolts as they automatically give off their luxuries.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:46 pm UTC

Now that Watch Dogs 2 is out, I feel like I should actually finish the first one...

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:19 pm UTC

I think maybe Civ 6 would be better if districts could be multi-purpose, so you don't have to build something just for housing or just for amenities. So if you build a residential district, there are sub-districts where you can build additional housing, markets, temples, monuments, amenities at a much lower cost than building an entire district. You might have a transit hub, which grants +1 gold per unit of housing if there is a bordering commercial district, and +1 gold for any neighboring district with amenities. A commercial, industrial or entertainment district could also have an apartment complex as well. All sorts of neat possibilities.

Also, luxuries should provide +1 amenity to the city they are in and any cities that have a trade route with them (but only your own cities and cities states you are suzerain of), not to the cities with the fewest amenities. That said, I think trading luxury goods with another civilization should give +1 amenities to the four cities that need them the most, just like it does now. This reduces the problem I mentioned above, where capturing a large city that was dependent on luxury resources can crush your civilization.

I think that my biggest problem is just trying to manage housing/amenities on top of everything else now, and so I think they need to give you those without having to take too much focus away from your victories. Of course, that's a huge change; personally, I'd think they could make it a lot better if they just keep it as it is now and allow districts to produce some things simultaneously and with a cost discount (e.g. build military units in an encampment while also building a neighborhood, which slows both down as you are limited by overall production, but the cost of the military units is lower so the total time to produce both is less).

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:41 pm UTC

Given enough RAM, enough processor power, enough HDD space and a fast enough system passing stuff between them, you could make the game scalable, with SimCity 2000 and Command & Conquer / Age of Conquerors and Transport Tycoon all running at the same time.

Scaling further would allow people to play Battlefield / Medal of Honor / Chuck Yeager's Air Combat / For Honour or whatever else in your game while you were playing the larger scale, and then you'd have to appoint friends to keep an eye on them and make sure they were doing their jobs properly ...
I don't know and have no opinion.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:59 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:Given enough RAM, enough processor power, enough HDD space and a fast enough system passing stuff between them, you could make the game scalable, with SimCity 2000 and Command & Conquer / Age of Conquerors and Transport Tycoon all running at the same time.

Scaling further would allow people to play Battlefield / Medal of Honor / Chuck Yeager's Air Combat / For Honour or whatever else in your game while you were playing the larger scale, and then you'd have to appoint friends to keep an eye on them and make sure they were doing their jobs properly ...

Speed and space is not the issue.

SimCity 2000 was awesome because it did vague statistical calculations that felt approximately right. (I mean, 0% taxes actually worked in far too many cities, but lower-taxes increased growth, traffic patterns felt realistic, etc. etc.). When SimCity moved onto agent-specific simulations, it all turned into shit.

Okay, so maybe the latest Sim City is a bad example, because the dev-team made numerous errors above-and-beyond the individual agent-specific simulations. But lets take a good agent-by-agent simulation game and compare and contrast, now shall we? Tropico (any pick of the series) has severe issues with traffic once the island gets into the larger populations. Like ~2000 people on most islands.

Similarly, I've played large-scale games before. Ever participated in a 256 player first-person shooter like MAG? Ever build up a ZERG-RAID in Guild War's World-vs World mode?

The challenge is keeping the community interested in such a game. MAG was fun for a while, and then the community died, and with it... the massive 256-player games. Build a game designed for large-scale cooperative player experiences, and the game will die as the players lose interest and move to other games (as all game communities do... eventually).

------------

So long story short:

* Vague statistics (ie: Sim City 2000) tends to be more fun than agent-specific simulations when building for the ~1-million population.

* Small scale agent-specific simulations work for less than 5000 agents or so (Rollercoaster Tycoon, Ceasar 3, Tropico), but fail to scale into "realistic behavior" above a certain limit. The exception seems to be traffic-simulations (see Cities: Skylines). So while traffic can be realistically simulated, the rest of the macro-economic models need to be statistics-based.

* Large scale game modes are very fun while they last, but they grow extinct if the player base moves to a different game.
Last edited by KnightExemplar on Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:00 pm UTC

I don't think that level of management is feasible, but mixing high level and low level can be done in cool ways today. I had an idea in the past for a game that started off as an FPS, and ended up as an RTS. You start off as a private in command of a rifle, then you become a corporal in command of a fire team, then a sergeant in command of a squad, a lieutenant in command of a platoon (at this point, you go from first person to third person and no longer control an individual soldier), a captain in command of a company, a major in command of a battalion, a brigadier general in command of a brigade, a major general in command of a division, and then a full-general in command of the entire army.

At each level, I would want it so you would really only need to give objectives to the unit below you and let the AI decide how exactly to accomplish that so you can focus on the greater strategy. Once you go up a rank, you would be able to go back and replay previous missions but from a wider perspective of the battle, and once you beat a higher level you can replay on lower levels (basically, at a lower level, you play the scripted end portion from the same General-level play-through).

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:04 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:I don't think that level of management is feasible, but mixing high level and low level can be done in cool ways today. I had an idea in the past for a game that started off as an FPS, and ended up as an RTS. You start off as a private in command of a rifle, then you become a corporal in command of a fire team, then a sergeant in command of a squad, a lieutenant in command of a platoon (at this point, you go from first person to third person and no longer control an individual soldier), a captain in command of a company, a major in command of a battalion, a brigadier general in command of a brigade, a major general in command of a division, and then a full-general in command of the entire army.

In MAG, your ranking determined the leadership.

Special abilities and communication channels were locked to Squad leaders. Battalion commanders would organize Squads as well as provide heavy artillery support and other special abilities.

General of the Army meant you were in charge of 128-players... but in reality it just meant you were in charge of the four 32-man battalions and some special abilities. And "in charge" is really in scare quotes... there's no loyalty in pick-up groups in general. The game was won/lost based on the individual skill of the squads most of the time.

------

MMO guild systems are better for building out community structures. A highly competitive server in WvW would have created an organization that spanned all 24-time zones, to ensure a careful balance of players throughout the day. (WvW in Guild Wars 2 was a week-long game). As I live in the USA, it was sad that the large-scale Chinese + Australian Guilds completely took over my strongholds just hours after I logged off. Time-zone advantage man...

So you need a strong USA-presence to win battles, a strong Australian / Chinese presence to hold onto the gains we made during the USA-based push. And then a strong European presence to hold onto their gains. Maybe one server had more of a Chinese presence, and instead preferred to make their gains at 3:00pm GMT, or maybe you were in a US-guild like mine and preferred to make the push at 1:00am GMT.

The community you have to build to organize such a strategy is massive.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:27 pm UTC

Another major problem with scale-crossing multiplayer games is that timescales rarely line up. Playing Civilization at FPS timescales would be incredibly dull (and a Wonder you started today would be completed by your granddaughter who'd inherited your game...), while an FPS played at Civ timescales would be unplayable. Or imagine trying to play a Total War or XCOM game where one player plays the strategy layer, while another player played out the tactical combat - if neither waited for the other to play, then the strategic player would generate combats faster than the tactical player could resolve them...

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:38 pm UTC

Not to mention, if a brigade-level commander who had to pay close attention to directing resupply and reinforcements, prioritizing requests for artillery strikes and air support, sending out surveillance drones, and assigning targets and objectives all of a sudden had to go to the door for the pizza delivery then you can be completely screwed. You would need to have an AI take over if they pause, and if they leave or don't come back in a certain time, you promote another player.

I think you can do it if it was purely an RTS style game, but when you include all the economics, technological development, and all the vast complexities of turn based strategy, etc. it would be way too complicated to attempt.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:55 pm UTC

Yeah, in musing idly on the matter over the years, the best I've managed to come up with is the idea of throwing in a communications lag - rather than godlike knowledge of the entire theatre being available at all times, instead you know what's currently happening near your commander, and can exert more or less direct control over the situation, but as you get further away, you know what was the situation 5 minutes ago, and the orders reaching your subordinates now are the ones you sent 5 minutes ago, based on the situation 10 minutes ago (possibly with projections based on last-known intentions).

If you've never played Frozen Synapse, it's a good illustration of how you can screw yourself over by giving orders based on an assumption about what the enemy will do that turns out not to be correct - despite being able to try multiple scenarios before committing to a set of orders, and each set of orders playing out over 5 seconds, starting from a known position (at least for your units and any you had in sight) - over longer timescales, communication lag could have very interesting effects...

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:59 am UTC

Reminds me a bit of back when I played Project Reality, apparently PR2 is out, but I haven't tried it yet.

I also seem to recall reading about a game from some years back where you played basically a Napoleanic-era 'field commander' type role, overlooking the battlefield from a convenient hilltop. You could see the battle play out in real time, but all your orders were dispatched by messengers, introducing delays and (I think) limiting how many simultaneous orders you could issue. Don't remember what it was called though.

Another thing I've seen done, is multi-scale wargaming done essentially by hand with strategic level handled by some play-by-post engine (either pen&paper, or some turn-based strategy game that supports play-by-post) and then tactical scale handled by a real-time game, either an RTS or FPS. Generally, the strategic players have a week to commit their moves, then RTS/FPS matches are scheduled on the weekend for whatever tactical conflicts need to be resolved as a result.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:16 am UTC

It helps if your units have some sort of intelligence and can react to changing situations, as long as they don't outright disobey orders, but they might move their units to avoid getting wiped out by a flanking force and they might choose their path of assault depending on their intel and the fog of war.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:42 am UTC

Planetside and Planetside 2 have some multi-level tactics. The series is primarily an MMO shooter, but platoon leaders can set waypoints and draw on the map to give orders and coordinate logistics (setting up spawn points, constructing forward bases, supplying ammo for vehicles, etc). When there's high server population the leaders can basically play the game like an RTS where every unit is a real person.

EdgarJPublius wrote:Another thing I've seen done, is multi-scale wargaming done essentially by hand with strategic level handled by some play-by-post engine (either pen&paper, or some turn-based strategy game that supports play-by-post) and then tactical scale handled by a real-time game, either an RTS or FPS. Generally, the strategic players have a week to commit their moves, then RTS/FPS matches are scheduled on the weekend for whatever tactical conflicts need to be resolved as a result.

This sounds like a great idea.

Return to “Gaming”