Siralim 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Siralim 2

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:06 pm UTC

Just picked this up for giggles, and think it's pretty fun. It's basically Dragon Warrior Monsters on crack. Since I absolutely loved Dragon Warrior Monsters (I was like four crosses from the top Boss Monster!), i figured I'd give this a go.

It's definitely pretty huge, and if you like random dungeons and monster training, breeding, capturing, and random dungeons and random stuff, and random dungeons and stuff and dungeons and stuff etc, this is the game for you. Also, very streamlined interface - the whole game is played with two buttons and a D-pad.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Re: Siralim 2

Postby Xanthir » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:33 pm UTC

Woah, this sounds like it's exactly up my alley. I'll check it out this weekend.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Chen

Postby Chen » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:07 pm UTC

Just started this. Man theres a lot of depth here. Not sure how optimized you need to be to kill things further on but at around depth level 10 Im easily autoattacking things to death.

I didnt realize health and mans restored fully each fight which is nice. Lets you actually use your abilities. I figure spell damage is governed by intelligence but there doesnt seem to be much of a manual for these things. Kinda matters for the perks where one gives you 1% more strength and one gives 1% more damage dealt.

Anyways right now Im running around with my Berserker beast, manticore who has high defense, the fortress guy that autoprovokes each turn, a death creature that gets another turn and fully heals if it kills something, a knight that counterattacks if any of my creatures are attacked and one guy that gives the group mending permanently. Probably going to look to switch out the manticore (its my second chaos creature) for a caster and maybe the mending guy since the healing barely seems necessary.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:09 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Just started this. Man theres a lot of depth here. Not sure how optimized you need to be to kill things further on but at around depth level 10 Im easily autoattacking things to death.
Yeah, weirdly, the game gives you Intelligence critters to play with before you have spell gems do use really. Right now, at depth 12 or so, I have something like 8 total spell gems, 6 of which are for Life critters. I've read that more pops up later, but right now, I'm also just attack spamming.

Chen wrote:I figure spell damage is governed by intelligence but there doesnt seem to be much of a manual for these things
The documentation should tell you about it, but sometimes it's a little unclear. Spells use Intelligence, but some spells will say something like 'Uses 50% Attack and 50% Intelligence', or the like.

Chen wrote:Kinda matters for the perks where one gives you 1% more strength and one gives 1% more damage dealt.
Yeah, I invested in Scholarly Stables, and then the +DamageOutput. I also sunk a few points in Overheal and Flash Heal and seem to have gotten some use out of Overheal.

Chen wrote:Anyways right now Im running around with...
I'm guessing that team combinations are where the game really goes nuts. To that end, I have the Ent that gives everyone Mend, the Sphinx that sets everyones type to a random enemy weakness (this feels hugely OP truthfully), a Dragon that gives a pretty sizable seeming debuff to enemies on attack, a guy that attacks everytime my guys are attacked, uhh... and some others.

Breeding also seems pretty complicated, and I'm not sure how the random critter spawn works. I started seeing some critters that I had just bred, which makes me think some critters only enter the RNG when they've been bred. Furthermore, I'm not sure from poking over the bestiary if there are pedigrees to work towards (i.e., super critters that require dozens of crosses to achieve) or if it's just kind of a wide tree (i.e., Type A + Type B produces Type A1, while Type A + Type C produces Type A2, etc).

So far I'm enjoying it, and yeah, man, this is a LONG and DEEP grind.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:23 pm UTC

Playing on my iphone and its a little annoying I need to use the direction pad to move through the menus, but that's manageable.

I have a whole bunch of spell gems though a lot seem quite useless. I do have some decent ones though like sandstorm that blinds and damages everyone for my Ent, a ressurect on my counter-attacking life guy and a "spell" that gives an enemy vulnerability and then lets my creature attack it 3 times at 50% strength each. Some useless ones are one that deals 3 hits at 5% damage and never less than 1 (maybe useful to proc things?) one that says it deals heavy damage to all creatures (always seems to deal 0 when I use it) and one that deals damage based on the turn order (also seems to always deal 0). Not sure if those last two are just because I have low Int but even on my melee creatures they have only ~10 less int than some casters.

Haven't even tried out the breeding yet. Is there a point in breeding things together if they don't make a special combination?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:16 pm UTC

Breeding does make special combinations, afaik. And a number of creatures can't be extracted until they've been bred. I'm kind of wondering if only a handful of base critters from each critter type will appear in the dungeons until you breed more. Actually, I think that's exactly how it works - each critter class seems to have a "base creature".

I'm not sure, but my impression is that 'light', 'moderate' and 'heavy' is some kind of damage multiplier based on Int.

For 'proc on hit' stuff, I'm curious about the Forest Priest, for various weirdo builds surrounding having it always hit your own critters. Coupled with critter abilities that proc on your critters attacking or being attacked...

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:56 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Breeding does make special combinations, afaik. And a number of creatures can't be extracted until they've been bred. I'm kind of wondering if only a handful of base critters from each critter type will appear in the dungeons until you breed more. Actually, I think that's exactly how it works - each critter class seems to have a "base creature".

I know you CAN make special combinations, I was wondering if there's a point in breeding two things that DON'T produce a special combination. Like do you get the best stats of the two or something? Or if you breed two strong things is the offspring stronger by default? Im just wondering if I should bother breeding things unless they are part of some of the special combos you can unlock.

For 'proc on hit' stuff, I'm curious about the Forest Priest, for various weirdo builds surrounding having it always hit your own critters. Coupled with critter abilities that proc on your critters attacking or being attacked...

Yeah I figured something like that might be a use for that weirdo spell I have.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:18 pm UTC

Chen wrote:I know you CAN make special combinations, I was wondering if there's a point in breeding two things that DON'T produce a special combination. Like do you get the best stats of the two or something? Or if you breed two strong things is the offspring stronger by default? Im just wondering if I should bother breeding things unless they are part of some of the special combos you can unlock.
Oh I misunderstood - yeah, 'Gene Strength' appears to be some kind of stat multiplier based on the lvl and... gene strength? of the parents, though the higher the GS of the egg, the more resources it takes to hatch it.

So, I think for crosses where there's no unique result, you end up with an egg that is identical to the first parent, so you can use this as a mechanism for increasing the GS. Backcrossing, as it was.

I'm still very much digging this game. I'm not sure the critter abilities are particularly well balanced, and in some cases it seems like the designer just sort of filled out a range of abilities irrespective of how functionally useful some were, but I like that the range is there.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:30 am UTC

I got one of those sphinxes who change everyone to one creature type that's an enemy weakness and yeah its pretty damn strong. The only balancing factor is that the sphinx itself is kinda crappy since I have no good life spells.

I've been looking at equipment and it seems you can reroll stats. It seems you can reroll things to around the same level as you can make them so it prevents you from needing to constantly make new equipment which is nice.

I also ended up with some ridiculous armor combinations for my stronghold creature (the one that auto provokes after its actions). Gave it an armor ability that increases everyone's strength/int by 25% after it provokes. And then added another ability that triggers any provoke effects twice. Dumped them on a pair of shoes with speed and basically this thing acts before everyone (except my Berserker creature who is a beast anyways). So I use it to debuff enemies with a spell, it provokes and buffs everyone else massively. Some neat stuff that can be done.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:41 pm UTC

Chen wrote:I've been looking at equipment and it seems you can reroll stats. It seems you can reroll things to around the same level as you can make them so it prevents you from needing to constantly make new equipment which is nice.
I think the level of the item affects the min-max range though? So you can reroll a bit, but still need to forge better items.

Chen wrote:I also ended up with some ridiculous armor combinations for my stronghold creature (the one that auto provokes after its actions). Gave it an armor ability that increases everyone's strength/int by 25% after it provokes. And then added another ability that triggers any provoke effects twice. Dumped them on a pair of shoes with speed and basically this thing acts before everyone (except my Berserker creature who is a beast anyways). So I use it to debuff enemies with a spell, it provokes and buffs everyone else massively. Some neat stuff that can be done.
Ha, that's awesome. There's also a critter whose name/type is escaping me now, that has the ability of 'Effects that proc on $Action proc twice'. I wonder if the provoke version would stack with the item effect.

I started breeding some stuff, just kind of randomly, because I had a bunch of extra cores... I have no idea what I'm doing. I ended up with a demigod whose ability is 'this creatures attacks do 1 damage at set the targets HP to 50%', which is... neat? and then I ended up with an 'Amaranth', whose critter ability is '+30% defense to all your critters', so I wager the varieties all buff something... That could be useful. I can confirm though that once bred, critters start showing up in random battles.

Also, I've gotten myself into a handful of battles where there's no win outcome for either side. The enemy has buffed themselves to untouchability, and/or are mending themselves with each turn, and it also cant hurt my critters... That's... frustrating.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:36 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I think the level of the item affects the min-max range though? So you can reroll a bit, but still need to forge better items.

The only thing item levels seem to affect is the amount of enchanted secondary stats that can be added to it. For example I have a level 5 sword that has a range of something like 40-75 atk. But a brand new sword I created is level 1 with attack at 75. So I'm not sure if forging items automatically gives you the max you can get for your current level or what. When I try to reforge the 75 sword it does show a similar (though not exact same) range as the level 5 sword.

I started breeding some stuff, just kind of randomly, because I had a bunch of extra cores... I have no idea what I'm doing. I ended up with a demigod whose ability is 'this creatures attacks do 1 damage at set the targets HP to 50%', which is... neat? and then I ended up with an 'Amaranth', whose critter ability is '+30% defense to all your critters', so I wager the varieties all buff something... That could be useful. I can confirm though that once bred, critters start showing up in random battles.

I went to breeding screen and it told me I didnt have any of the creatures needed to breed any combos I knew about. I guess I could try some random breeding to see what happens though.

Also, I've gotten myself into a handful of battles where there's no win outcome for either side. The enemy has buffed themselves to untouchability, and/or are mending themselves with each turn, and it also cant hurt my critters... That's... frustrating.

That somewhat happened against the first boss. It was healing way more than I could deal in damage but it was only dealing 1 or 0 damage a turn. I would have eventually lost so I just quit.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:16 pm UTC

Chen wrote:The only thing item levels seem to affect is the amount of enchanted secondary stats that can be added to it. For example I have a level 5 sword that has a range of something like 40-75 atk. But a brand new sword I created is level 1 with attack at 75. So I'm not sure if forging items automatically gives you the max you can get for your current level or what. When I try to reforge the 75 sword it does show a similar (though not exact same) range as the level 5 sword.
Huh. I wonder if the max range of stuff you find sets the max range for all subsequent forging/reforging/found stuff?

Chen wrote:I went to breeding screen and it told me I didnt have any of the creatures needed to breed any combos I knew about. I guess I could try some random breeding to see what happens though.
If you select a critter that has a combo with something else you have, the cross will shift to the top of the list with a ? mark. AFAIK if a cross won't produce something different, it won't show up as a ? mark, and if you select the two parents, you see the result as the first critter.

Chen wrote:That somewhat happened against the first boss. It was healing way more than I could deal in damage but it was only dealing 1 or 0 damage a turn. I would have eventually lost so I just quit.
I'm hoping there are no fights that you cannot run from.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:45 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Huh. I wonder if the max range of stuff you find sets the max range for all subsequent forging/reforging/found stuff?

Well every time I get back from a dungeon it seems the numbers have increased for when I try to reforge something. So I guess its either based on dungeon depth or character level.

Also note the combo I mentioned previously with the provoke doesn't fully work since you can't put 2 traits on weapons (I hadn't finished the first trait's ritual yet). Still with just that one trait (whenever you provoke the team gets 25% attack/intelligence) it's crazy strong on the "Stronghold" creature. Since it provokes at the end of its turn regardless you can use the provoke action itself to get 2 activations. The thing is, the activations continue stacking. So for long fights (like bosses) you get ridiculous attack and intelligence on your creatures. I had gotten stuck on the level 23 boss (immune to all attack damage and direct spell damage), but it couldn't kill me. Eventually the stronghold got hit and triggered its "Volcano on hit" effect. The volcano itself did 0 damage but the burn afterwards did over 1000 damage due to how high the Stronghold's int had gotten.

If you select a critter that has a combo with something else you have, the cross will shift to the top of the list with a ? mark. AFAIK if a cross won't produce something different, it won't show up as a ? mark, and if you select the two parents, you see the result as the first critter.

Interesting. Was reading the main forums and it seems Gene strength determines how many stats get transferred to the offspring and the second creature you breed with is the one who's stats get added. Higher stats get added with higher priority. So I guess if you take your melee creatures and breed them with other strong creatures you'll get stronger base melee creatures in the end.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:52 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Well every time I get back from a dungeon it seems the numbers have increased for when I try to reforge something. So I guess its either based on dungeon depth or character level.
Oh, i think items also get more powerful as more kills happen with them?

Chen wrote:So for long fights (like bosses) you get ridiculous attack and intelligence on your creatures. I had gotten stuck on the level 23 boss (immune to all attack damage and direct spell damage), but it couldn't kill me. Eventually the stronghold got hit and triggered its "Volcano on hit" effect. The volcano itself did 0 damage but the burn afterwards did over 1000 damage due to how high the Stronghold's int had gotten.
That's awesome. I had a fight where... some kind of minotaur, that gets +Atk whenever it is damaged (or attacked?) had built up like 500+ Atk from recurring splash damage, and whenever it's stuns/immobs/scorn broke, it would hit for multiple thousands of damage to my critters who have 100-150 HP. That was dicey.

Chen wrote:Interesting. Was reading the main forums and it seems Gene strength determines how many stats get transferred to the offspring and the second creature you breed with is the one who's stats get added. Higher stats get added with higher priority. So I guess if you take your melee creatures and breed them with other strong creatures you'll get stronger base melee creatures in the end.
Oh, see I was under the impression that Gene Strength is like 'extra stat points' that are added to critters based on their base stats. I didn't realize it was based on the parents stats. Oy. This game is fucking complicated.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:02 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Oh, i think items also get more powerful as more kills happen with them?

A weapon's level increases with # of kills (though you don't have to be the one killing, the weapon just needs to be equipped in the group). The level of the weapon is what allows it to have more slots to be enchanted. I don't know if there's a cap on number of enchantments possible (though as I mentioned only one of the enchantments can be a trait). I didn't notice if the weapon's stats increased or not when it leveled. I don't think they do.

RaisinTom

Postby RaisinTom » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:13 am UTC

Chen wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:Oh, i think items also get more powerful as more kills happen with them?

A weapon's level increases with # of kills (though you don't have to be the one killing, the weapon just needs to be equipped in the group).

Wow, thanks for the heads up. I thought to level up a weapon you had to get the kills yourself.

Return to “Gaming”