What game has caused you to utter the most profanity?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Matthias

Re: What game has caused you to utter the most profanity?

Postby Matthias » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:55 am UTC

Soul Calibur 3. I love the game, it's absolutely beautiful, but in story mode? Man, there's always one stage, usually around the 7th fight or so, that always seems to whoop my ass. Everything before and after is groovy, but I always end up squaring off against someone I hate to fight. Either Setsuka or Cervantes, usually. God, I hate Setsuka so much. Of every character in that game, she's the one that has forced me to set down the controller and walk away the most.

After, of course, very colorful inner monologue and serious pressure-testing of the dual-shock controller.
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:02 am UTC

The only games I've been playing recently are Snake II (on my sisters Nokia 2280) and the occasional game of Counter-strike or DoTA, I think Snake makes me swear more...

Also couldn't profanity (which is swearing) be good swearing, like when you win - "Fuck YES!"
=]

bagelfairy

Postby bagelfairy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:43 am UTC

After seeing all the "Monopoly" answers, I change my answer to Age of Mythology: The Board Game. Goes on for more forever than monopoly.
Dry Ice: The Snowman-based comic. Updated 5x a week for your icy pleasure.

Eleven

Postby Eleven » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:23 pm UTC

Donkey Kong Country 2. Dying in the same place over and over and over because the game gives you about four pixels of leeway between ceiling death and carpet death, and you're controlling the f**king parrot. And then finally getting past that point only to get pwned by a cannonball or something.

I swear, Rare level designers were laughing their sadistic asses off at that one.
YOU HAS FEESH?!

Drone731

Postby Drone731 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:24 am UTC

Mega Man.

Really, do I have to say much else? The entire Mega Man and Mega Man X series are just ridiculous. They'll make a sailor out of anyone.

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:28 am UTC

Oh yeah. The fucking yellow demon, for instance. Even with save-states that thing was near im-damn-possible. I can't even imagine fighting it on the original console.

But yeah. From the ROM hacking thread? Super Mario World, Kaizo version.
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

yesway

Postby yesway » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:42 am UTC

any thing halo it happens when you play quite literaly more then 50 hours a week... help me

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:44 pm UTC

Every time I fall off the butchers shoulder in Psychonauts. Must kill self. . .

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:52 pm UTC

Gofyr wrote:Deaths due to people not doing their jobs in FFXI. When you've been partying for three hours and end up 1,000 exp worse off than when you started...

I have yet to find a game that actually leaves you a level or two LOWER than when you started... 3 hours previously.

Am I the only one that actually likes Monopoly? Maybe it's because I kick ass at it.
Or because playing Monopoly at 5:30 AM while making bargains ("Hey, uh I'll give you this... hey banker let me exchange this house for 500 ok? I'll give you this 500 and next time I land on Boardwalk I don't have to pay you, and you get one free ride through my New York Avenue place, ok?") is the greatest way to play.

Shadow of the Colossus. The final colossus your first time through without knowing how to beat it.
Spoiler:
Huh? It's just big is all! Come on, what's so diffi-OH JESUS CHRIST IT SHOOTS LASERS FROM ITS HANDS FUCKFUCKFUCK. And then you finally get to it. AND IT FUCKING THROWS YOU OFF WHEN YOU ARE ON ITS ARM. COME ON BITCH YOU CAN HOLD ON LONGER THAN FIFTEEN SECONDS.

Half-Life. I get all of the way through the game. And I mean I'm on the final boss. I know its health is gone, but nothing is happening. Nothing. I run around trying to find at least some place to keep going forward with the story, but there is no way out of this room from what I can see. My game screwed up on the last boss...
And now the CD is so scratched that I can't re-play it.

Hamorad

Postby Hamorad » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:17 am UTC

The original Ninja Gaiden for the NES. I played that as a wee little one, but even now I can't work my way through that damned game.

Unbeknown

Postby Unbeknown » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:17 am UTC

Mario Kart Double Dash- Repeatedly getting knocked off on the first jump on rainbow road, Mirror mode (sliding in to corners, only to find out that the corner goes the other way...) and of course Blue Shells. Certain tracks are continuous torrents of swearing.

Halo 2- Lockout, repeatedly jumping off the level accidentally. Actually, my swearing in Halo is punctuated by manic laughter (noob combo FTW)

BNOOOOGERS

Postby BNOOOOGERS » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:04 am UTC

By far the most frustrating gaming experience I have ever had is flight school on the PC version of GTA San Andreas. I played on my friend's PS2 and did fine, but my god, playing with the old fashioned mouse and keyboard makes me want to cause untold harm to all manner of innocent creatures. Not to mention a 2-3 minute tirade every time i failed that fucking thing (which was prolly 40 times). Every time i would barely clip the outside of the ring I'd yell at my computer " I FUCKING MADE IT THROUGH THE FUCKING RING YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT. FUUUUCCKKKKKK"
And then of course, when I FINALLY passed the fucking mission, I go to save, select a slot, click, CRASH. My anger and frustration was several orders of magnitude beyond swearing at that point. I just sat there, staring, open-mouthed, my hands clenched in fists, for about 5 mins. Then I had cooled down to the point where I just bellowed something along the lines of 'FUCKING BITCH-ASS CUNT SLURPING FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT' But I suppose thats what I get for getting that game off a torrent.
Then the next day I played flight school and beat it my first time :P

dyzzy

Postby dyzzy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:04 pm UTC

San Andreas had some pretty frustrating parts to it. If you have successfully collected all of the tags/photo-ops/whatever I congratulate you. I stopped playing the game after nearly an entire day of searching for the final two tags.

Oh, and getting gold medals in driving school.

Just recently, though, I got really riled up over Call of Duty 4. Whose genius idea was it to design nearly every encounter around the idea that unless you yourself rush head-on into the enemy's position, they just don't stop respawning? I swear, I left enough dead extremists in my wake you'd have no trouble discerning my location from the moon, and yet when I stepped into the building I was supposed to clear I was surprised to find it mysteriously repopulated.

And don't even get me started on the final part of the flashback mission. "Unfair" doesn't even begin to describe it.

With regards to the noob combo from Halo: when I play deathmatch online (Halo 3) I make a point of finding the plasma pistol. Charge up, get close, release and swing. The frustration is usually audible... especially from shotgun-toters.
//TODO: Write funny sig

andyvn22

Postby andyvn22 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:33 am UTC

A weird, one-of-a-kind game called Galapagos. It was strange because you had no control over the main character, a little robotic bug; you controlled the environment. This... evoked many expletives when I'd work for an hour getting all the flying platforms to line up perfectly and all the lasers/spikes/lava gone and then the bug refuses to walk down the path. "OTHER WAY! OTHERRRR WAYYYY!"

That, and every so often he'd get scared and just jump off a cliff. Oh yeah, that was fun.
"If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing."
http://andyvn.ath.cx/

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:57 am UTC

Puzzle quest for the PSP has gotten me pissed off recently.

There's no way the game can take less than 100 hours if you never want to lose a single match, because HOLY SHIT that A.I. is genius. They take the best move possible, and they use it. It's like trying to beat Windows at Chess.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:42 am UTC

I would have to say that Kaizo Mario World has made me want to stomp the everloving fuck out of a bowl of kittens. Till I beat the first level. It was the greatest achievement of my life.

Getting to that point however, was a constant stream of "fuck", "dammit", "fuck-dammit" and sever invented curse words.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

WraithXt1

Postby WraithXt1 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:00 am UTC

Starcraft.

The entire multiplayer portion of Starcraft is so frustrating it pisses me off to think about. The entire game is full of bullshit strategies that should NOT work but because the game is fucking retarded DO work.

I have never in my life been so ANGRY at a game before.

Corporat

Postby Corporat » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:53 pm UTC

If you have ever played any Warner Bros cartoon character SNES games, you will know. If not, do not ever play them. There was this Bugs Bunny one I had where I couldn't even beat the first level. I also had a Speedy Gonzales game, and I couldn't beat the second level on that. The platforming was impossible. Bugs jumps almost high enough, but he just cannot make it to the platform...

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:25 pm UTC

The most recent game that has done this to me has been the Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions. The fucking Guest AI is ridiculous. So far it's been Mustadio, and Agrias that have gotten on my nerves the most. I mean seriously, Mustadio is trying to run away from a group of Knights, Archers, and Black Mages. So what does he do? He moves about 5 blocks from where he starts, stands there, and shoots. Come on! At least get on the other side of the wall. Then of course Agrias is supposed to be a Holy Knight, but spends more time standing in safety and casting black magic. WTF? Go hit something, or at least use some sword skill. Ugh. Let's just say, I've lost more than a few battles due to them.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Metty

Postby Metty » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:53 pm UTC

Some M.I.B game I purchased.

Spent countless hours trying to get out the first room. Never succeeded. Stupidfu...

kahlesster

Postby kahlesster » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:15 pm UTC

I'm normally a quiet gamer, but you stick me with my firends and I get loud. The only game I cuss ad yell profanities during is Halo: One, Two, or Three. Its mostly "Whoa! What the ****?! How did you get that ****ing shot? I'm gonna- Nice shot, well played,"

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:34 pm UTC

I recently cursed a lot during HL2 E2 (the striderbuster part).
I may have cursed a lot playing psychonauts, because the controls are a real pain at times.

I don't curse a lot during online FPSs because I'm usually listening to my friends say stupid shit on voice chat. so much fun.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

BobMacDhonnchaidh

Postby BobMacDhonnchaidh » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:05 am UTC

Phi wrote:Half-Life. I get all of the way through the game. And I mean I'm on the final boss. I know its health is gone, but nothing is happening. Nothing. I run around trying to find at least some place to keep going forward with the story, but there is no way out of this room from what I can see. My game screwed up on the last boss...
And now the CD is so scratched that I can't re-play it.

I did exactly the same thing. I think at one point I even jumped in the bastard's head and started crowbaring him, but nothing seemed to happen, so I just stopped playing it. Found out years later I was only a couple more hits away from completing the whole game.
Thig crìoch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol is ceòl

Help save us from 16 years of boredom!

Mr. Altaco

Postby Mr. Altaco » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:00 am UTC

Team Fortress 2.

Damn spies.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:08 am UTC

Mr. Altaco wrote:Team Fortress 2.

Damn spies.

Yeah, that would be me. :D
I'll complain about the medics standing behind the heavies, though.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Dyo

Postby Dyo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:52 am UTC

Versus mode on Dynasty Warriors 4. My best friend and I had a fuck contest (no, I don't mean sex) where every time someone said something, it ended in a "Fuck you". No harm done.

Also, Guitar Hero can get fairly irksome at times.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:59 pm UTC

Gun.

Got too hard too quickly. And increased in difficulty for the entire game. Some parts were not AS hard, but it takes forever as the "must not die" health bar thing keeps going down and down.

Flying on ant GTA game: I just can't do it. Whether it be the controls or my own suckiness at flying, as soon as I get to that portion of the game my gameplay comes to a screeching halt. I just activate those riot/pedestrian guns cheats and enjoy where my limit is.

And sometimes Morrowind. God mode is no match for Dirty Disc Error. (Well on Xbox it's less godmode and just "rapid health regain")

Notch

Postby Notch » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:23 pm UTC

God of War. Specifically, the final challenge in the Challenge of the Gods, where you have to stay on a really tiny, really slowly rising platform for what seems like fifteen minutes, knocking off enemies and watching the safe platform slowly drift closer. What's worse, it's the last of ten fairly difficult challenges, and you have to beat them all in a row, so if you turn off your system, you have to START OVER FROM SCRATCH. (Getting worked up just thinking about it..)

I broke my DualShock 2 because of that, and believe me, that's not an easy thing to do.

At first, I just threw it at the wall. It didn't break. So I grabbed the cord and swung it hard against my chair, which cracked the plastic ever so slightly, but it still worked perfectly. Not wanting to lose to the controller as well as to the game, I wound the cord around my hand and pushed away the controller with my feet, trying to tear the cord out. Didn't work, it just hurt my hand as the cord wound even tighter. I ended up smashing the controller against any hard surface I could find until it stopped working, then went to sleep.

[A month or so ago, I tripped over the usb cable to my still-charging SixAxis controller, making it fall.. oh.. about 70 cm or so, landing every so gently on a rug. It broke. I miss the DualShock 2]

Zuntrios
Location: Currently buried in the latest game I'm programming.

Postby Zuntrios » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:50 pm UTC

pieaholicx wrote:The most recent game that has done this to me has been the Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions. The fucking Guest AI is ridiculous. So far it's been Mustadio, and Agrias that have gotten on my nerves the most. I mean seriously, Mustadio is trying to run away from a group of Knights, Archers, and Black Mages. So what does he do? He moves about 5 blocks from where he starts, stands there, and shoots. Come on! At least get on the other side of the wall. Then of course Agrias is supposed to be a Holy Knight, but spends more time standing in safety and casting black magic. WTF? Go hit something, or at least use some sword skill. Ugh. Let's just say, I've lost more than a few battles due to them.

Heh. That's why I made sure that everyone of my characters could throw hi-potions at minumum. The stupid AI on that was rediculous. Especially the one in the desert where the stupid person you're trying to save casts spells that hit an area that, while targeting an enemy, never hits them, and always hits you.
Algebra has been around for a very long time now, so why on Earth is x still unknown?!

Dyo

Postby Dyo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:54 pm UTC

Notch wrote:God of War. ]

Oh me yarm YES I hate when you are in Hades and you have to climb up the rotating pillar things with the spikes on them and if you touch ONE LITTLE THING, you fall ALL THE WAY DOWN and you have to start ALL OVER. It's like Kratos has terrible rheumatoid arthritis in his fingers. WTH. And there were two pillars, and it took me like an hour a piece.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:45 am UTC

YES! Kratos has pissed me off so much with his occasionally incredibly weak hands/arms. He can rip the wings off a harpy, he can force his blade through the skull of a minotaur despite the minotaurs best efforts, he can leap from a mossy cliff face, and then catch himself on another mossy cliff face with nothing more than his arms. But can he dangle from a beam for more than two freaking seconds? No. When dangling, he's like that fat kid in gym class (that was me, I'm allowed to use that analogy).
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:07 pm UTC

Playing Uno with friends in the common room at my college.

It's a real man's game, it is.

Nexus_1101

Postby Nexus_1101 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:11 pm UTC

Halo 3 online has me swearing all the time,

NO F£$%*"£G WAY I BUNTED HIM FIRST!
HOSTING -> Heroquest
:idea: CHAOS BONUS :idea:

Code: Select all

IF (NOTFORUMGAME()) {
    postcount.add(1);
}

Dyo

Postby Dyo » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:57 pm UTC

You know another popular video game character with arthritis? Master Chief.

Say someone is driving their warthog at you and you try to jump over it, but your feet catch on the car.

DEAD.

But for some reason, you can fly through space at mind boggling speeds and use yourself like projectile.... weird...

ACF

Postby ACF » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:58 pm UTC

Definitely Mario Kart. My roommate has an N64 in and we play Mario Kart with other people from the floor all the time. Incredibly high profane words to total words ratio.

Notch

Postby Notch » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:53 am UTC

Game: Yoshi's Island 2 (NDS)
When: Yesterday
Where: Level 5-7
Why: Bouncy penguins, tiny platforms over endless chasms, and huge pink balls
Amount of cursing: Many

That was just a randomly super difficult level. Wow. I eventually beat it, but I went from some 160 extra lives to ~100.

bookgrunt

Postby bookgrunt » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:19 am UTC

Dr. Mario

Frozen Bubble

Call of Duty 4 (in triumph!)
"Well," said the badger, "I can only teach you two things - to dig, and love your home. These are the true end of philosophy."

Elijah

Postby Elijah » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:05 am UTC

CS:S.

Dear god. It really wouldn't be that bad if you didn't have to deal with "rofl u got pwned by ME ~xXHEADSHOTXx~" every time someone was killed.

Tisiphone

Postby Tisiphone » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:15 am UTC

Does it have to be a video game? I get incredibly profane when I play Euchre.
I'd love to have your cake and eat it too.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:16 am UTC

Tisiphone wrote:Does it have to be a video game? I get incredibly profane when I play Euchre.

I've noticed I'm starting to cuss a lot more when I play online Hold 'Em. Usually it's just on the play money games, where people go all in on a pair of 10's, then hit a full house on the turn and the river, while I'm holding a flush.

#@@%^@#$!
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Return to “Gaming”