Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby aion7 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:13 pm UTC

I thought that was you I saw on OCR. Great server.

Über crabwalk for the extreme win, by the way.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:49 pm UTC

ParanoidDrone wrote:Just came back from some fun rounds, Pipeline in particular. Not only was I causing some actual damage, but I got Ubered by an enemy Medic while disguised. While Ubered, I...actually, just look at the screencaps a spectator took.

Picture 1
Picture 2

Quoting myself to avert the curse of the page-bottomer. Or something.

Also, are you Aeronaut? Or someone else?
Insert witty phrase here.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:45 pm UTC

Got my new computer. Runs TF2 like it's nothing...man...so sweet. If anyone is down for a game you can just add me on steam my id is crucialityfactor

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:58 pm UTC

ParanoidDrone wrote:Also, are you Aeronaut? Or someone else?
I'm [FIG] Dystope.

Were you there when everyone got killed by the train at midnight for Brushfire's birthday?
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:22 am UTC

No, I totally missed any train shenanigans, but was that the day it was on Party Mode? (Also, check your friends list.)

(But if I was there, I totally would have gone Spy and used the Dead Ringer.)

EDIT: 500th post!

aion7

Postby aion7 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:23 pm UTC

Yeah, they put on Party for Brushfire's birthday, then left it on for the next day.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:39 pm UTC

And what exactly is Party mode?

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:09 pm UTC

The way I understand it, party mode was put in to satisfy the ratings people in Europe who thought all the blood was bad for children. Valve made alternate gibs that range from gift boxes to ballons and confetti to springs that bounce around. The players also all wear party hats.
(I may or may not have the history wrong here, but party mode itself I am 100% sure about)
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:30 pm UTC

That does sound pretty cool. I should look up videos.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:37 pm UTC

They (or modders) did it for Team Fortress classic too if I recall. Valve could have been behind this version, and did so to both satisfy the bloody complaints (see what I did there?) and birthday theme requests.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:35 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:The way I understand it, party mode was put in to satisfy the ratings people in Europe who thought all the blood was bad for children. Valve made alternate gibs that range from gift boxes to ballons and confetti to springs that bounce around. The players also all wear party hats.
(I may or may not have the history wrong here, but party mode itself I am 100% sure about)

Sounds like ratings in Germany. They're not to keen on blood and innards over there. In CnC, the soldiers are robots and leak oil

m42a

Postby m42a » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:39 am UTC

Jebobek wrote:They (or modders) did it for Team Fortress classic too if I recall. Valve could have been behind this version, and did so to both satisfy the bloody complaints (see what I did there?) and birthday theme requests.
Valve was behind it, they did it because Germany has strict rules about blood/gore/Nazis. If you watch the 'Meet The *' videos in German all the blood is turned to oil and the heads have springs in them.
Please reference comic numbers in the text of your post, not just the links. Hyperlinks are not searchable.

ajbleck

Postby ajbleck » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:59 am UTC

just had a great game, it was on a payload map (some custom one). i was a spy, i cloaked went behind the cart uncloaked and backstabed everone that was pushing the cart (4 people).
"Android Hell is a real place where you will be sent at the first sign of defiance." GLaDOS
ImageImage

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:14 pm UTC

I just had the best game I've ever had.
It was 2Fort, I was RED and we were losing 2-0. Both teams had 5 players and my entire team was a bunch of engineers (They didn't build sentries in the intel room, only in the courtyard/balcony) and I was a pyro.
So I ran into the enemy base and managed to single-handedly kill everyone the second they left the spawn rooms for about five minutes, then captured the intel without dying.
I captured it again, and on the last time someone went scout and was killed on the bridge beside me. (A lot more happened in beween these captures, the match lasted about half an hour)
By the end of the game (Round 1) I had 100+ points and was dominating the entire enemy team. Next round a bunch of people joined and one person left.
Nearly everyone went BLU until the teams were 3-12, then I joined the RED and it swapped to 12-3 with my team having the most players. Everyone who'd stayed over from the previous round had joined my team.
Signatures are for chumps.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:26 am UTC

arrrgh, I hate when people on pubs play 'follow the leader'. I can't even articulate how many times I've led a round as spy only to have my entire team try to go spy.

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:24 pm UTC

Yeah. It's frustrating with Spy in particular because unless you know what you're doing, being an nth Spy typically does nothing except heighten the enemy's paranoia. Which just makes life difficult for the good Spies.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:16 pm UTC

ParanoidDrone wrote:Yeah. It's frustrating with Spy in particular because unless you know what you're doing, being an nth Spy typically does nothing except heighten the enemy's paranoia. Which just makes life difficult for the good Spies.

Unless you are doing a spy rush. Have you ever seen eight spies decloak together on the final cap in Dustbowl?
It's freakin brilliant, only three of us survived but we killed the entire enemy team.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:00 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:
ParanoidDrone wrote:Yeah. It's frustrating with Spy in particular because unless you know what you're doing, being an nth Spy typically does nothing except heighten the enemy's paranoia. Which just makes life difficult for the good Spies.

Unless you are doing a spy rush. Have you ever seen eight spies decloak together on the final cap in Dustbowl?
It's freakin brilliant, only three of us survived but we killed the entire enemy team.

We did it on Gravelpit. IIRC only three people died that round, and they didn't even get to respawn.
<Cheese> I love you

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:08 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:arrrgh, I hate when people on pubs play 'follow the leader'. I can't even articulate how many times I've led a round as spy only to have my entire team try to go spy.

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG
Yeah, I fucking hate this. Also irritating is when the teams are stacked so stupidly that it's basically impossible for me to play anything but soldier and still do okay. All I fucking want to do is play spy in peace and quiet. :x
*Often edits posts as soon as they're posted*

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

aion7

Postby aion7 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:18 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:arrrgh, I hate when people on pubs play 'follow the leader'. I can't even articulate how many times I've led a round as spy only to have my entire team try to go spy.

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG
I hate that.
I was noticed our team had no pyros, so I went pyro and did fairly well. Next thing I know, there are three more pyros. Half the team should not be pyros.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:05 am UTC

It's too bad that never happens with Medics.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:13 am UTC

Does anyone remember how the critical chances work? Because I get so annoyed at the 1-hit kills from the engineers and I can't remember how it works.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:42 am UTC

aion7 wrote:

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG
I hate that.
I was noticed our team had no pyros, so I went pyro and did fairly well. Next thing I know, there are three more pyros. Half the team should not be pyros.

Today I played a with a team of seven pyros on Granary, we were getting our asses kicked by soldiers and demomen but no-one besides me would change class.

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:01 pm UTC

Phen wrote:Does anyone remember how the critical chances work? Because I get so annoyed at the 1-hit kills from the engineers and I can't remember how it works.
According to TF2 wiki: The more damage you've done in the last 20 seconds, the better your chance to crit. Also, melee weapons are much more likely to crit than ranged weapons. Link.
So if an engi's sentry doing lots of shooting, and the engi is using a wrench, he will have a pretty good chance to crit (somewhere between 15% - 25%).
*Often edits posts as soon as they're posted*

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:43 pm UTC

There's also this blog post, which explains how the crit system changed when they reduced the overall crit chance. Also explains how auto and non-auto weapons roll differently for crits.

Andvari

Postby Andvari » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:10 pm UTC

Phen wrote:Does anyone remember how the critical chances work? Because I get so annoyed at the 1-hit kills from the engineers and I can't remember how it works.

I'm not sure on the specifics, but on the gravelpit developers commentary, they say that "The better you've been doing in a life, the higher the chance you'll get a crit. This way someone can go on a big rampage."

aion7

Postby aion7 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:37 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:pyros... getting our asses kicked by soldiers and demomen

But, airblast.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:14 am UTC

Engie Crit Tests
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:23 am UTC

aion7 wrote:

But, airblast.

Not on the PS3

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:39 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:
aion7 wrote:

But, airblast.

Not on the PS3

*obligatory 'Buy a PC then' comment* :P
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:52 pm UTC

As much as I hate to validate an annoying trope, Lunatic actually has a point. There is absolutely no reason to buy a Valve game on any platform that isn't the PC, unless maybe if your newest computer is 5 years old (and even that can run TF2, iirc).
<Cheese> I love you

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:20 pm UTC

I don't get to spend as much time on the computer as I do on the PS3 so I play games on my console and use what time i do get on the computer for internet browsing and a few other things.
And I prefer FPS games on the PS3 to ones on the PC, the controls are more familiar to me.

jerdak

Postby jerdak » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:36 pm UTC

Dunno if anyone really cares but I thought this was a funny bit of spontaneous gameplay:
http://iogaming.net/forums/47-general-t ... mbots.html

Whenever someone complains about a server stack I say we aren't stacked, I'm just running all the other players on my multi-box rig or that everyone else is an aimbot. This was the first time the joke actually caught on. I'm 'aimbot #sqrt(-1): Multi-Box.
"Real programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write it should be hard to read."

ajbleck

Postby ajbleck » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:33 am UTC

whats going on with the official xkcd tf2 servers? do they still exist or what?
"Android Hell is a real place where you will be sent at the first sign of defiance." GLaDOS
ImageImage

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:11 pm UTC

ajbleck wrote:whats going on with the official xkcd tf2 servers? do they still exist or what?

I think we are just using the >:3 server now. Ryom hasn't had his up for about a year.
<Cheese> I love you

ajbleck

Postby ajbleck » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:17 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:I think we are just using the >:3 server now. Ryom hasn't had his up for about a year.

whats the ip address for that? I just got back into plaing tf2 a couple of weeks ago so i hadden't noticed the servers were dwn until a few days ago.
ImageImage

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:46 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:
ajbleck wrote:whats going on with the official xkcd tf2 servers? do they still exist or what?

I think we are just using the >:3 server now. Ryom hasn't had his up for about a year.

Nobody was using it! It has been switched to a Left4Dead server which sees more use. And it was switched 81 days ago, not 365 ;)

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:53 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:As much as I hate to validate an annoying trope, Lunatic actually has a point. There is absolutely no reason to buy a Valve game on any platform that isn't the PC, unless maybe if your newest computer is 5 years old (and even that can run TF2, iirc).

Ya know.. when L4D came out, I bought it for the 360 and had a lot of fun. Then I saw a special for it on PC and started playing there. Recently went back to it on the 360 and reaffirmed how much I hate playing FPS on a console.

Not to mention the added functionality and modding that people do on TF2 servers makes it an exponentially better experience than on a console. I have to agree w/you guys.

Btw, my steam tag is Phrozt if anyone is looking for TF2/L4D buddies.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:11 pm UTC

There have been attempts at setting up TF2 servers in the past, but they usually fizzle out because there aren't enough forum-goers to keep it going, and the general xkcd group is a interest group/don't know about the attempts to set up an official xkcd server because none of us have event/admin privs to it. My clan's server (>:3) is open to anyone that wants to play, it's based in Los Angeles on dedicated hardware and is a mixed server, with both official and customs on it, nominatable at all times. We run L4D servers as well, with Dead Aboard and Blood Hospital(?) for those that want to try the first custom campaigns for L4D.

Now, custom map guessing time, to show the superiority of PC talent that mappers have: can anyone name this map?
Spoiler:

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:17 pm UTC

cp_glacier, but I looked at the filename.

Holy carp, I'm downloading that right now.
All is well. We are not like the others.

Return to “Gaming”