Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Box Boy
WINNING

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby Box Boy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:01 pm UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:uh, why wouldn't the musket replace the shotgun? Remember not everything needs to be replaced, either.
I just sort of assumed it would. I guess it could replace the shotgun, who knows for sure?
Toeofdoom wrote:I reckon they could update the last 3 classes at once, really.

I wonder what they could do for the demoman (dynamite and molotov cocktails anyone?)
Toeofdoom wrote:That robot could easily be an engi thing, if they gave it the disadvantage of terrible pathing.

Maybe the engi could build a few of them at once to act as multiple weak sentries? (they look fairly un-advanced so I don't think they can walk)
Signatures are for chumps.

guyy

Postby guyy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:51 pm UTC

Well lookie there, an update!

Spoiler:
Valve wrote:Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

New Content

Added King Of The Hill game mode

Added custom animations played by the losing team during the post-win state. They are moved into third person camera to enjoy them

Added lots of new hats

Additions / Changes

Added "Auto Reload" option to the multiplayer advanced options

Clip-based weapons that reload a full clip at a time can now have their reloads aborted by firing

Pistol now fires at a fixed rate, not based on the speed at which you press the firing button

Added a color blind option to add a Jarate icon above enemies who are busy accepting a terrifying existence where they have no dignity

Significantly reduced the amount of network traffic being sent

Capturing the flag in a CTF game mode gives the entire capturing team 10 seconds of critboost

Sappers attached to a teleporter automatically place another Sapper on the other end of the teleporter, if it exists

Engineers wrenching a teleporter will repair the other end as well, and remove Sappers from both if they exist

Disguised Spies no longer trigger On-Hit effects (like the Blutsauger's heal)

Removed self-inflicted minicrits. Fixes Jarate'd Soldiers/Demomen having ineffective rocket/grenade jumps

Added an item panel to the spectator cam that shows non-standard items being carried by the player you're spectating

Added an "Inspect" key that allows you to look at items being carried by your team mates

Backpack improvements:

Added drag & drop to move items around. Item positions are maintained on the backend

Added multi-select, allowing you to delete multiple items at once

Added a new key to the key binding page that opens your inventory directly to your backpack

Fixed mouseover panel being incorrectly position when the backpack first appears

Cloaked Spies standing in valid backstab positions no longer raise their knife

Added current map name and gametype to the bottom right of scoreboard

Added class icons to tips on the loadout and loading screens

Improved visuals around flags when they're being carried by a player

Improved critboosted visuals, making it much clearer when an enemy has critboost

Updated the loading panel to show the game type under the map name during level transition

In-game chat dialog now supports full Unicode characters

Added BLU main menu background

Added response caching for some server queries to help reduce the CPU load from DOS attacks

Teammates no longer block friendly radius damage. Prevents nearby teammates causing rocket/grenade jumps to fail

Map Changes

Update PLR_Pipeline

Increased the starting advantage in the third round if a team has won the first two rounds

Fixed carts not continuing to the second round if they're capped at the same time in the first round

Fixed being able to shoot pipebombs over the starting gates in the first round

Fixed being able to open the doors in the first round before the setup time was finished

Fixed players getting stuck in some doors

Fixed players being able to get onto rooftops and out of the map boundaries

Fixed other minor bugs and exploits

Added community map Arena_Offblast

Added community map Cp_Yukon

Update Arena_Sawmill

Fixed DirectX8 bug where some models would not be visible

Fixed exploit with building teleporters outside of the map

Updated CP_Granary

Made a few changes to improve balance based on competitive community feedback

Item Reworks

The Force of Nature

The enemy knockback now only works in close range and behaves more like the Pyro's air blast

Enemies cannot be juggled by the FaN's effect

The self-knockback has also changed to respect the firer's view angle. Looking up while shooting will no longer propel the enemy upwards

Knockback is now scaled by damage done

The Sandman

A Scout will receive 1 point for stunning an enemy and 2 points for a long range stun

Stunned players now take 75% of all incoming damage instead of 50%

Ubercharged players can no longer be stunned

Heavies spinning their mini-guns will continue to spin when stunned (whether the left or right mouse button is pressed)

The minimum distance to stun a target has been reduced

The negative attribute has changed from "no double jump" to "-25 max health"

Fixes

Fixed various issues around layout & presentation of items inside the Backpack and "X is carrying" item dialogs

Fixed an exploit that allowed players to work around sv_pure

Particle files are now protected by sv_pure

Fixed critboost effect getting stuck on when you die while critboosted

Fixed Timer HUD element backgrounds not being the correct color if you change teams during waiting for players

Fixed a couple of issues with the way critboosts affected The Huntsman and the Spy's knife

Fixed an exploit where you could reload The Huntsman faster than intended

Fixed Heavy "civilian" exploit

Fixed a set of exploits using the DXSupport config files

Fixed r_screenfademinsize and r_screenfademaxsize exploits

Fixed sentries firing at a fully cloaked Spy if they're still the closest target

Community requests

Added a HUD element for hybrid CTF & CP maps

Supports 1 or 2 flags, and any number of CPs

Mapmakers need to place a "tf_logic_hybrid_ctf_cp" entity in their map to enable it

Added custom kill server log text "train" and "saw" for deaths caused by these environmental hazards

Format: "%s<%i><%s><%s>" committed suicide with "world" (customkill "%s") (attacker_position "%d %d %d")

Added new "medic_death" event for server logs

Format: "%s<%i><%s><%s>" triggered "medic_death" against "%s<%i><%s><%s>" (healing "%d") (ubercharge "%s")

healing is the amount the Medic healed in that life

ubercharge (1/0) is whether they died with a full charge

Added "func_respawnflag" trigger entity. It will remove & return the flag if a flag carrier touches it, or if the flag falls into it

So, spies can no longer infuriate engineers by sapping their teleport entrances, as the two teleports now essentially act like one building (the engie can remove the sapper from either end). Of course, smart spies will just shoot the entrance to death...

And no more Bonking Ubercharged enemies, but now you can still double-jump with the Sandman...though your health is reduced, which could be disastrous with the Scout's already-very-low health.

New maps, too! And some new hats which, like the old hats, I will probably never get any of!

Serrin

Postby Serrin » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:11 am UTC

All I can say is they better take out the achievement for bonking ubered players, now that the Sandman sucks more than a thing that sucks a lot.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:14 am UTC

No mention of item trading yet.

Too bad I won't be able to play until next week, I guess I'll have to wait till then to not get the new hats :/
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

guyy

Postby guyy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:32 am UTC

And in my first game post-update, what do I find but some jerk lucky person who already got the "Jayne Hat". I think Valve's random number generator is taunting me. (I still have no hats at all.)

aaron

Postby aaron » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:05 am UTC

i need that hat.

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:06 pm UTC

guyy wrote:And in my first game post-update, what do I find but some jerk lucky person who already got the "Jayne Hat". I think Valve's random number generator is taunting me. (I still have no hats at all.)
Want want want want want. The only hat I have so far is the heavy's football helmet, which is so-so.
*Often edits posts as soon as they're posted*

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:25 pm UTC

Did anyone get a medal?

I didn't and I was hoping that seeing other people who didn't get it would make me feel better.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:36 pm UTC

Nope, no medal for me.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:59 pm UTC

No medal, no hats, still hating the random number generator. I've easily gotten a backpack and a half of weapons, but still no hats?

At least they don't affect gameplay, right?
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:42 pm UTC

I'm annoyed that the blutsauger doesn't show increased health after hitting a spy. That used to be the best way of discovering spies when you're not a pyro. Now I feel like medics are bigger prime targets for spies. Or rather, medics are always prime targets for spies but now it's a lot easier for a spy to sneak up on a medic.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

aaron

Postby aaron » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:45 pm UTC

i got a medal :)

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:34 pm UTC

I saw the most interesting bug I've ever seen today: classes with weapons that didn't belong to them (See screenshot). There was also a scout with the KGB and an ambassador. And as far as I know it wasn't just a graphical thing, they could actually use the weapons. Screenshot was taken by me personally; it isn't a shoop.

Spoiler'd for big.
Spoiler:
watifff.JPG
watifff.JPG (115.64 KiB) Viewed 4962 times
*Often edits posts as soon as they're posted*

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

Ran4

Postby Ran4 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:22 pm UTC

guyy, why the hell didn't you bold the FaN change? :(
You can't juggle anymore, which sucks. Juggling was fun, for both parts! They should have lowered the damage slightly if they needed to nerf it (which they didn't). Now there's even less of a reason of using FaN in competitive play.

Also, no more heavy civilian. And, unanounced but THE biggest difference: demo takes more damage from his own stickies, but he flies much further (!!!).
Oh, and ctf is broken now.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:25 pm UTC

All the new hats:
Spoiler:
The Spy gets a camera beard.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:

guyy

Postby guyy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:54 pm UTC

Ran4 wrote:guyy, why the hell didn't you bold the FaN change? :(

Because I'm so useless with the FaN, I couldn't figure out why anyone thought it was overpowered...until I noticed that all the other scout players were owning me, and everyone else, with it.

And yeah, demos now fly absurdly far with sticky-jumps. There were a bunch of unmentioned things like that, like the Cloak and Dagger, which now recharges almost twice as fast as before.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:51 am UTC

Nah, they just fixed that. There was another patch today.

* Fixed "r_rootlod" being marked as a cheat, which prevented it from being changed and caused a significant performance loss for some GPUs
* Changed "The Big Hurt" Scout achievement to be "Stun 2 Medics that are ready to deploy an UberCharge."
* Fixed Announcer overtime bug on KOTH servers using mp_timelimit
o Due to many requests, added server ConVar "tf_overtime_nag". When set to 1, it keeps the broken announcer behavior
* Fixed tournament stopwatch not displaying the time in the HUD
* Fixed a bug with cloak meter regen and drain rates
* Fixed Spies not being able to go invis while reloading
* Fixed pipebombs sticking to saw blades
* Fixed weapons not being hidden properly during loser state anims
* Fixed a case where radius damage didn't reduce damage to self
o Fixes Demomen taking too much damage from their pipebombs
* Fixed a case where items would never show up in the backpack, even though they were available to equip
* Fixed a case where items weren't being validated properly in class loadout slots

Community requests

* Removed centerprint texts for TF_FLAGTYPE_ATTACK_DEFEND CTF game mode
* Changed TF_FLAGTYPE_ATTACK_DEFEND capture reward from 30 kills to 1 capture

What time is it? :P
All is well. We are not like the others.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:28 am UTC

OVERTIME!

Although it would be better as a client side option.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

aeiss

Postby aeiss » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:11 am UTC

There was an Australian server running SM which enabled random weapons for random classes on respawn, but apparently the update broke SM or something.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:13 am UTC

These big updates always break all the mods and skins and plugins etc
Cynical Idealist wrote:

Stucky101
Location: Park City, Utah, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, The Milky Way, Universe A

Postby Stucky101 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:26 am UTC

Just saw the soldier's new pot helmet today. Favorite hat yet!
"The earth is the cradle of humankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever."
~Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, 1895

Phen

Postby Phen » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:10 pm UTC

Upsilon wrote:Did anyone get a medal?

I didn't and I was hoping that seeing other people who didn't get it would make me feel better.

What does the medals do? Just more gear like hats? (WHICH I HAVN*T GOT ANY OF YET GODDAMNIT. I've put nearly 140 hours into this game, I DESERVE THEM NAO!)
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:12 am UTC

You have a 1 in 200 chance of getting a hat, checked once every minute that you are online. This means you have a 50/50 chance of getting a hat after 138 minutes of being online. This also means if you leave yourself on an achievement idle server overnight (8 hours) you have a 91% chance of getting at least one hat by the morning.

To get all hats (27 now, right?) you would need to leave TF2 on for a total of roughly 60-120 hours (assuming you have none right now), and that only gives you a "good" chance (good being defined as always getting the hat in the first 50% for the 60 hour number, and the first 85% for the 120 hour number).

guyy

Postby guyy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:16 am UTC

CogDissident wrote:You have a 1 in 200 chance of getting a hat, checked once every minute that you are online. This means you have a 50/50 chance of getting a hat after 138 minutes of being online. This also means if you leave yourself on an achievement idle server overnight (8 hours) you have a 91% chance of getting at least one hat by the morning.

[scoutvoice] No way! [/scoutvoice]

My understanding of adding probabilities is pathetically bad, but I still know this is wrong, because it just doesn't make sense. According to Valve, I racked up more than 22 hours (eep!) of TF2 just in the past two weeks, and I've done the "overnight idle" thing many times. If this were right, my chance of getting a hat must be something like 99.999% by now. Yet I still have no hats.

If I remember right, the chance of getting an item (not necessarily a hat) in a given hour is around 50%. The chance that the item you get will be a hat is, supposedly, 1 in 200. Meaning you'll really have to play for 280+ hours to have a good chance of getting a hat. Which sucks.

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:49 am UTC

The funny part being that if they were common, people would either not care or complain that everyone has one.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:02 am UTC

RetSpline wrote:The funny part being that if they were common, people would either not care or complain that everyone has one.

Shush you, we don't need your logical mockery. Just give us some hats!

:P
Cynical Idealist wrote:

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:39 am UTC

RetSpline wrote:The funny part being that if they were common, people would either not care or complain that everyone has one.

I would far prefer not caring to being pissed off that I have none. Complaining that everyone has one is being an elitist jerk anyway.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:10 pm UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:

I would far prefer not caring to being pissed off that I have none. Complaining that everyone has one is being an elitist jerk anyway.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Nerve

Postby Nerve » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:23 am UTC

I would have rather seen hats be achievement based than random drops.

Kag

Postby Kag » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:11 am UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:

Seriously. I mean how awesome would it be if every spy had a camera beard?

I believe the answer is Incredibly awesome.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:56 am UTC

I have one hat, and it's for a class I don't use.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:16 am UTC

If I got a hat, I would play a lot of whatever class I got it for. Unless it happened to be the Engineer. I like shooting stuff, burning things, healing people, and blowing stuff up, not sitting in a corner mashing m1. The wrench sound is good, but not good enough to make me want to hear it all the time.
Last edited by aion7 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:34 am UTC

Upsilon wrote:I have one hat, and it's for a class I don't use.

Same thing happened to me. It's the spy fedora. It's a cool hat, but I'm so bad at spy that whenever I play it I feel guilty that I'm not helping my team. Hopefully trading will be implemented so that I can trade it for a hat I can use.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Manial

Postby Manial » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:21 am UTC

I only have the most boring hat of all: the trophy belt :cry:

guyy

Postby guyy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:57 am UTC

They really need to just give everyone all the hats, or add some achievements to get hats with. Now that all classes have 3 different hats (plus the default hat or hatlessness), there'd still be plenty of variety even if everyone had all of them. And I think the 99% of us with NumHats <= 1 are getting pretty tired of waiting. They aren't "collectible" if you can't actually collect any...

aaron

Postby aaron » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:51 pm UTC

folkhero wrote:

Same thing happened to me. It's the spy fedora. It's a cool hat, but I'm so bad at spy that whenever I play it I feel guilty that I'm not helping my team. Hopefully trading will be implemented so that I can trade it for a hat I can use.

if trading is ever implemented, i would trade you my trophy belt for it (sniper hat). and my tf2 firstborn

Stucky101
Location: Park City, Utah, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, The Milky Way, Universe A

Postby Stucky101 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:52 pm UTC

What frightens me about having trading in TF2 is the possibility that in game chat would turn into a gauntlet of WTB's and WTS's like some sort of Guild Wars FPS.

BTW, what are medals, what do they do, and how were those 11,111 people chosen to get one?
"The earth is the cradle of humankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever."

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:31 pm UTC

So, when the time comes for the demoman update, what do you think he will get?
I think he might get a molotov cocktail for his melee (basically Jarate but with an exposion and not a damage increase) and dynamite for the pipe bomb launcher (I haven't got anything for the sticky bombs/mines yet)
I don't play the PC version, but I'm still curious.
Signatures are for chumps.

guyy

Postby guyy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:25 pm UTC

Stucky101 wrote:BTW, what are medals, what do they do, and how were those 11,111 people chosen to get one?

They're near-invisible decorations for the Soldier; they don't do anything besides that. You got one if you found this page (by clicking through hidden picture-links) before 11,111 other people did...it didn't take long, they were all gone a hour or two after the update.

Stucky101

Postby Stucky101 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:33 pm UTC

guyy wrote:
Stucky101 wrote:BTW, what are medals, what do they do, and how were those 11,111 people chosen to get one?

They're near-invisible decorations for the Soldier; they don't do anything besides that. You got one if you found this page (by clicking through hidden picture-links) before 11,111 other people did...it didn't take long, they were all gone a hour or two after the update.

Oh, so that's what the miscellaneous slot is for.

Return to “Gaming”