Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

llamanaru

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby llamanaru » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:33 am UTC

Ah sentry placement. I was playing on the third stage of dustbowl on defence. Me and 3 other engineers set up in the upper tunnel and stonewalled the other team for 15 minutes or so.
What servers do you guys play on? I'm partial to xxlgamers dustbowl.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:04 pm UTC

Vapour wrote:I find with Engineers, it's also about learning where to put your sentry. Giving it decent protection and a good view.

Definitely. A couple other tips:

- Put dispensers up against walls/corners if they're sentry-protected -- Spies can hide behind them and avoid getting shot, or use your own sentry's aim+fire system to kill you with your own sentry.

- Don't stand on top of teleporters when de-sapping them -- Spies can teleport into you and cause you to explode into gibs.

- Don't put your sentry around corners unless they're aiming out from that corner, see below:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

|^..
L--.
##|.

The arrow is the sentry's direction. This is an example of an easily-destroyed sentry as one can pop in and out from around the corner and shoot down the sentry without giving it time to fire, or a spy could pop out without a disguise and sap it.

Code: Select all

|>..
L--.
##|.

This is better, facing it out towards the corner so it will be already aimed at anyone who pops out from the corner, and (assuming the top is open area) can turn in plenty of time to fire at threats from the top. You could also do a 45 degree angle, facing directly outward from the corner, which would probably be better for an enclosed area, giving both sides equal coverage.

- Always face your teleports out from walls -- right-click to rotate, if you're not aware. This is *very* helpful in not making your teammates DOA.
- When a Spy's sapping your equipment, either kill him then remove the sapper or vice versa depending on the situation: If the spy sticks around and keeps sapping/trying to kill you, shoot him before unsapping your stuff. Otherwise, he'll just keep replacing the sappers, and he can do this faster than you can take them off. But if he runs away after the sapping, just whack out the sappers and then fire your shotgun/pistol sporadically around to make sure he's not coming back for the kill.

/* ~~~ */
I'm usually found on the PF Orange server or else other random U.S. or Western European servers. Also, I spend some time on the source-games.de Saxton Hale server whenever I'm looking to play some of that.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:19 pm UTC

It is also a good strategy to lure or bait people into your sentry. I like to shoot at people with my pistol, then if they start chasing me I will lure them into my sentry. Or if you have mini-sentries, you can use them as a distraction too!

One other trick for engineers is wrangler jumping. You upgrade a level 3 sentry and shoot the floor with rockets to rocket jump. This is how people build on-top of some of the buildings for places like gravelpit or gorge. Just make sure you have enough metal for a dispenser or an exit teleporter!

The only thing that usually takes down my sentries is if my team hides behind the sentry and lets the enemies shoot blindly at my turret (demospam :x ). That and ubercharges that aren't pushed away... Push pyros are your best friend.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:25 pm UTC

Push Pyros with the Homewrecker :)

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:45 pm UTC

I love being a pocket pyro -- Easiest job in the world. Run in circles with flame on occasionally, homewrecker sappers. You get to contribute to your team without actually having to do anything :D Till demomen/soldiers/ubers show up, but you're specifically equipped to deal with those anyways.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:48 pm UTC

BurningLed wrote:Till demomen/soldiers/ubers show up, but you're specifically equipped to deal with those anyways.
Yes, people underestimate airblast so much (pyros with backburners? You're a disgrace to your team).

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:59 pm UTC

For defense you nearly-always want airblasts. Backburner isn't so bad for any server where you have too high a ping to reflect shots. That is rarely the case for me, but I have friends that don't get the best ping or fps and can't reflect worth a damn. I actually tried teaching him how to reflect rockets and arrows, but I had to let him use my laptop because his frame rate was too choppy to see the projectiles clearly. He still prefers vanilla flamethrower, and he tries his best to reflect... he just can't always pull off the cool things like pyro-rocket jumps or reflections.

Personally I use the pyro set since my friend crafted + gifted me a hat. I don't feel as threatening as an axetinguisher pyro, but the faster speed (better jumps & chase) + powerjack killshots (+health) help. If I need to get serious-business, axtinguisher!

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:15 pm UTC

Backburner can be ok in the right place. But anything with open spaces and it's lost the surprise.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:04 pm UTC

Technical Ben wrote:Backburner can be ok in the right place. But anything with open spaces and it's lost the surprise.

I use the backburner, and it can be hilarious for waiting behind Uber'd Medics, and you can occasionally find total blind spots in the maps - on MountainLab, I once found this little corner that no one ever looks in, but walks straight past. It's great for Spies (especially Your Eternal Reward) too :D
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:39 pm UTC

I think the backburner is okay, but on my server. There is always one or two people that are like
'Backburner noob'

It's rather annoying. It's a weapon, just like everything else.

Also, love the new sword. Fantastic for demoknight duels.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:36 pm UTC

The new Kunai seems like it would be mostly useless. I haven't found it yet but... health was never really an issue for my spy. Its like they're afraid to give spy a good knife, since I also feel that eternal reward could use a buff.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:04 pm UTC

Eternal Reward most certainly does not need a buff -- I rarely need the disguise to get the kill to begin with, and the instant disguise makes getting away easy for me.

The kunai works out fine, but it doesn't really offer anything new -- You die to random spam without the Dead ringer, which is bad. With the dead ringer though, it honestly feels no different from the knife -- DR behind enemy lines, decloak next to a fat ammo crate or weapon, a kill or two, dead ringer away. It makes the 60 HP a non-problem, but it also makes the 180 a non-bonus because you already have an effective 1250 with the vanilla knife & Dead Ringer -- More than you will ever conceivably need to get back to safety. It also runs out pretty quickly, faster than normal overheal it seems.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:49 pm UTC

What do you use the your eternal reward for? I've been trying to figure out a good play-style since I found a Fez, but I always end up just wishing I had normal knife. The lowered decloak noise is pretty amazing for deadringer harassment, but I usually play with vanilla-cloak.

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:26 pm UTC

I'm debating which item set to get - Right now the scout set seems the strongest, but I just can't get the scout to work for me. The bonus is awesome though.

My best class is solider, I really need to pick up the blackbox, but the set bonus doesn't seem like it's worth it. Same with pyro - awesome primary weapon, the rest of the set seems a little meh.

Also debating between the fists of steel and the GRU for the heavy. As long as a teleporter is up I think the fists of steel are better - you basically can get to any position without getting killed at range, which seems useful for those maps with spammy corridors where you want to get to the other side (like last point of Dustbowl)
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:49 pm UTC

I really love the black box, but the batallian backup seems kinda meh unless you know they use kritskrieg ubers. I prefer gunboats because I love rocketjumping anywhere and everywhere! I really could not survive with soldier without black box >.<

IMO the powerjack is inferior to the axtinguisher, but I do enjoy using powerjack for the movement speed boost. You can easily hunt down people and 10% bullet damage isn't really significant. However, learning to kill shot enemies with it for the health boost was awkward when I was used to just doing: ignite>>airblast>>axtinguish :x

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:55 pm UTC

So I've got two and two thirds refined, and i'm thinking of crafting a hat for one of the polycount sets.
Should I go soldier, or Sniper?
(as they're the only two I have fully)
Signatures are for chumps.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:37 am UTC

BurningLed wrote:Eternal Reward most certainly does not need a buff -- I rarely need the disguise to get the kill to begin with, and the instant disguise makes getting away easy for me.

The kunai works out fine, but it doesn't really offer anything new -- You die to random spam without the Dead ringer, which is bad. With the dead ringer though, it honestly feels no different from the knife -- DR behind enemy lines, decloak next to a fat ammo crate or weapon, a kill or two, dead ringer away. It makes the 60 HP a non-problem, but it also makes the 180 a non-bonus because you already have an effective 1250 with the vanilla knife & Dead Ringer -- More than you will ever conceivably need to get back to safety. It also runs out pretty quickly, faster than normal overheal it seems.
The overheal on the kunai is just regular overheal and decay, it could do with either slower overheal decay or the first kill giving a permanent boost to your health.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:45 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:What do you use the your eternal reward for? I've been trying to figure out a good play-style since I found a Fez, but I always end up just wishing I had normal knife. The lowered decloak noise is pretty amazing for deadringer harassment, but I usually play with vanilla-cloak.

When I roll YER, I basically dick around harassing and escaping behind enemy lines until a few people clump up together, then go for a chainstab. Also, if I can get a disguise, it's better for taking out sentry nests because I can stab the engineer and not eat sentry fire shortly afterwards.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:32 pm UTC

I think I'm just too impatient to wait for a disguise. Usually when I'm spy, its because I need to take out a nest of snipers or sentries. I'll have to try general harassment with your eternal reward; I like having these little strategies for the different weapons. It makes the game so much fun :D

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:33 pm UTC

In my personal opinion, the three knives and watches go together perfectly -- Vanilla knife+watch, YER+Cloak'n'Dagger, Kunai+Dead Ringer. Not to say there isn't leniency -- The DR works great with vanilla knife too, and you can roll Eternal Reward with the vanilla watch, but those are the best synergies for me. Eternal Reward is great for the cloak because you can wait around forever to get your first disguise, then go for a crazy-ass chainstab or sentry destruction derby.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:58 am UTC

>I craft the Engineer's ten gallon hat
>imokaywiththis.jpg

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:00 am UTC

Box Boy wrote:>I craft the Engineer's ten gallon hat
>imokaywiththis.jpg

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:55 am UTC

Hurray for valve making all the recipes easy to make! Also, vintage-ing the old recipes is pretty cool too. Got a vintage warriors spirit and amputator now!

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:41 am UTC

man, I had all the original vintage weapons, now I have to collect all new ones, the only one I've got is the medic's crossbow.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:45 pm UTC

I accidentally used my vintage sandvich to make scrap. I am so dissapoint.

How much does a vintage item go for as opposed to a normal one?

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:23 pm UTC

Picked this game up again in the past week or two. Eventually started playing pyro again - man does playing with the flare gun improve all aspects of my game. Being able to see the tragectory lets me know not only when I missed, but how I missed. I feel a lot more tight with most classes.

I've been on a bit of a crafting spree, I think I'm going to start idling for the full item allocation each week. I just got the shortstop, which actually makes the scout playable for me. I could never get the hang of the shotguns, with this I can actually do pretty well.

But man, are the bonuses on the crafting sets ever messed up. Scout gets around +20% health, Soldier gets...-20% damage against sentries? Weird.
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:31 pm UTC

The scout set is a nice one. Sure you can't use sandman, but shortstop and madmilk is a very nice combo anyway!

Another good set is the medic crossbow and amputator, as long as you don't mind losing a syringe gun. When I go battle medic I prefer a syringe-style gun, but the crossbow is really nice when I can do long shots, like in 2fort. The amputator just seems like a clear upgrade to the bonesaw, and the taunt is nice to heal yourself if you're on fire without a kritskrieg.

Then there are sets like that Hibernating Bear set, or the soldier set... They seem to pale in comparison.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:19 pm UTC

I still say the Sniper should get full movement speed while zoomed rather than immunity to headshots.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:22 pm UTC

I think they should be set on fire :evil:

So tired of getting body-shotted by pee-snipers!

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:28 pm UTC

Another thing, reduce the pee-rifle to 120 max damage.
That way, you an still bodyshot most injured enemies and kill others with two quick shots, but you can't oneshot anyone at max health but sandman scouts, who're just asking for it, really.

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:46 pm UTC

Really? I don't find the pee-snipers that annoying. Once you get hit you have plenty of time to get out harms way, and they need to take a few seconds to get another uncharged shot off. I'm much more afraid of good headshotting snipers who can lock down corridors

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:03 pm UTC

Agreed with nowfocus -- Pee snipers are preferable to play against because they bodyshot, but much slower; as opposed to 10-headshot-streak vanilla snipers with Jarate, Bushwacka, and psychic spy senses. Honestly, the way I prefer to play with the sleeper is just to point at the conflict and peeify as many people as possible, though I generally go with the aforementioned vanilla sniper setup unless I'm playing Hale mode.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:27 pm UTC

nowfocus wrote:. Once you get hit you have plenty of time to get out harms way, and they need to take a few seconds to get another uncharged shot off.
I think, but don't quote me, if you have auto-re-zoom (which all snipers should) enabled you can zoom in and get a shot off in one and a half seconds if you get into the rhythm of clicking as soon as you can shoot, which is pretty damn good considering that if you fully charged the first shot you should be doing around two hundred and twenty damage.
The basic point is that it's a slight upgrade to the Sniper rifle in an annoying direction rather than the more-support orientated side grade it was meant to be.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:19 pm UTC

One and a half seconds is enough time for most classes to get out of the way unless it's a wide-open area like the center of dustbowl/yukon, in which case the snipers should almost be more valuable targets than medics.

Edit: Actually, it also requires you be psychic of whenever a sniper's firing at you, so maybe that's not entirely true. I still know to run when people around me start dropping like pee-coated flies, though.

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:21 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:I think, but don't quote me, if you have auto-re-zoom (which all snipers should) enabled you can zoom in and get a shot off in one and a half seconds if you get into the rhythm of clicking as soon as you can shoot, which is pretty damn good considering that if you fully charged the first shot you should be doing around two hundred and twenty damage.

But a normal sniper rifle - still using a body shot - would still do about 200 damage here. But this is all assuming the sniper can hit the first shot, then rezoom and hit another after you've moved. Rather than get a bonus 20 damage in the best case scenario, I'd rather have the option to headshot, where the other person has no time to react.

The only situation I can think of where the Sleeper would generally be better is...if I wasn't good at getting headshots and you had some class getting healed by two medics. Headshot won't take them down, body shot will do damage, and your team can take them out more easily. Beyond that relatively rare scenario, I'd want the regular one.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:41 am UTC

Valve put up some hats where proceeds go to japan tsunami relief; worth consideration.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:27 pm UTC

I bought 2 hachimakis to gift one to a friend, only then I realized I couldn't gift it. I thought it would be nice, kind of like donating in honor of someone >.<

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:18 am UTC

Think you can with a giftwrap

I've seen gifted HHHs

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:31 pm UTC

I will try!

Kendrubbin

Postby Kendrubbin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:17 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:I bought 2 hachimakis to gift half-two to a friend, only then I realized I couldn't gift it. I thought it would be nice, kind of like donating in honor of someone >.<

Bit late, but it's possible to gift items/hats with the GiftWrap, despite the inconvenience of spending money.

----

Just peeved that I'm now good at Ambassador sniping as opposed to the Saharan Spy set - Dead Ringer sounds are my enemy. That's the only downside though, and Orange_X maps are great for ripping people apart with the Ambassador. My playtimes are now horribly split; 5 hours as heavy; 80< as any other class. How do people play Heavy? I find him impossible to use, and too slow (despite GRU). While any other class I can play reasonably well (everyone loves reflect airshots and jumps as a pyro 8)).

Return to “Gaming”